Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Schizotek posted:

Someone else said it best. Dying isn't dead, and confusing the two has been kind of a problem for dems the past two cycles. Longterm the demographic issues for the GOP still hold, but most people who aren't idiots try to remind others thats a pretty longterm thing.

Also what the GOP will learn from this is to pass as many hateful things as possible. We are getting a wall and we're going to see deportation forces. We also might see open investigations into BLM by congress along with increased police brutality with the JD constantly clearing police for horrible violations while Trump will attack "The Blacks" culture and "The Hispanics" culture. The GOP is good at keeping a base and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

:agreed:

I guess we can all take solace in the face that we're due for an economic downturn which will get blamed on republicans.

Or not because we now live in a post-factual world.

If it happens say two months before 2018, or after it will be blamed on the GOP. Its not so much about facts its perception, if they're in the drivers seat they will get blamed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I dunno, as the party of personal responsibility they're super good at finding reasons why they aren't to blame for anything negative

It really doesn't matter what they say. It matters that they are in the drivers seat. One reason dems got clobbered in 2010 wasn't just the tea party, it was at the time things were not getting better, and the democrats were in the drivers seat. So the voters blamed the dems for what Bush had caused. For the same reason voters voted Obama into office in 2012 and for the reverse reason they kept him in office in 2012. If the GOP controls both houses and the presidency and over a quarter of the way into the term the economy shits itself, they will get the blame. Of course it will be up to the Dems to get proper candidates. If the GOP gets rid of Obamacare and raise the retirement age and then the economy shits itself, well goodbye GOP for another eight years, maye this time we can gerrymander ourselves the house.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sylink posted:

What is interesting is how many precedents/expectations this fucks up -

1) Texas never going blue, because Democrats are retarded and can't stop talking about guns/whatever, and they will put up another 30 year veteran shitlord in 2020. GOP will slowly leech minority vote despite themselves.

2) Supreme court is hosed.

3) We have a guy who denies climate change in office as cities like Miami are starting to flood.

4) The worst part isn't even Trump himself, its all the cronyistic garbage he is going to let into the Whitehouse, those are the guys who will gently caress poo poo up. Our best hope is really for Trump to actually do things because ultimately I think he is solution neutral and doesn't give a gently caress.

Yeah Trump will gently caress this up and the GOP will be out of power, the GOP will not take this as a reason to actually be nice to minorities but as a way to build the wall and begin deportations, as reason to encourage police brutality, as reason to encourage locking up Muslims. The GOP will continue to play to the battalions of fear that are Boomers and say gently caress you to everyone else. But the dems should learn that one they take power they should inflict as much pain on the GOP as possible to cripple it.

SpaceDrake posted:

The Trump Party has control of every single part of the government, of course those things are going away. Anything that could challenge White Male supremacy and will make others miserable and weak so that White Men can feel stronger will happen. This is how Dominance Culture works.

This is a dark day for the capital-R Republic, and perhaps the moment at which its fall begins. I do not have great hopes for the next five decades and I fully expect to see all of my non-cis-het -caucasian-male friends suffer and perhaps die, or escape the territory of this country as refugees.

We are not becoming Nazi germany, or India to many of the minority groups. We'll recover in about 20 years but the next two decades are going to suck. Also learn how to shoot.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hey everyone who feels like poo poo right now.

Now's not the time to play the blame game, the Bernie-would-have-won game, and so on. You got other tools to fight with.

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

I would like to add, we all are covered under the 2nd. If Trump becomes our Buchanon this could be very valuable.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

It means the poor die. Full stop. That's it. Nothing else.

When you try to defeat an extremist by adopting his extremism you come off as inauthentic, and alienate those who hate the extremist. So you lose, and should. Do any of us want the Dems waking from this thinking Islamaphobia is alright, or demonizing BLM is good? Or perhapse sexism is acceptable?

Pollyanna posted:

I just want somebody to tell me things will be okay. Failing that, what we can do to make them okay. But, if it's too early for this, I understand.

All I can do is hope, for now. But I am far from powerless, as are the rest of us. I'll do my part to make things better, to make us great, not just our country.

Progressivism hasn't lost yet. We can still keep things rolling. I just don't know how.

Organizing, turning out for mid terms, oh and the economy crashing partly as a result of GOP efforts and India, and China bringing down Australia and Canada.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Goon Danton posted:

Looking at this from the cold light of the morning, setting aside the shock and despair and the casting of blame, setting aside our fears about what will happen, what do we do now? Not "what do we do to prepare for 2020" or "what do we do to fight back in the midterms," but what do we do now? I'm trying to think of ways to mitigate the damage or help the people who will be hurt or even just cope with it psychologically, but I'm coming up empty.
Organize, also as Cali, MA just legalized MJ I think its time to push the dems to make it a major policy goal to stop its prohibition. Likewise as Trump is certainly going to let Guiliani try to shut down pot sellers its time to start organizing over that banner we stopped waving in 2009, states rights. Meanwhile organize with BLM, be ready to organize against the Order of Thugs seeing this as a way to go whole hog on their murder sprees. Finally, continue to push for the fight for 15. The future is theirs only if you let the sociopaths win. Also being that MRA's will be emboldened work to increase awareness of rape and sexual assault.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I assume with the latter part you mean he's going to appease a section of the country as it falls into secession? I think the big problem here in a way, is that there is not geographic continuity between the homes of what I guess you could call, in a very generic way, 'blue state people.' While there is a little state identity and regional identity, I don't think it veers into "nationalism."

So I don't think the South is gonna secede unless they actually do reinstate for-real, original-recipe slavery (which seems implausible) or find some other distinguishing underlying economic bullshit.

I meant states rights, as in for us lefties they only matter when we're out of power and the conservatives try to tell states they can't be decent to their own populations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

The only real hope is that a reverse Obama effect happens and all the whites who showed up for Trump get mad that their lives still suck after 2 years of full GOP control and get disillusioned while Dems get fired up to vote, but Dems are at a huge structural disadvantage for 2018 so prolly not

Could happen, especially if the economy fails. its what happened in 2006 and 08. Its just that the dems need to be competently lead and we're likely going to have to purge the DNC before that can happen.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Spiffster posted:

Hillary will now be investigated even more for Benghazi and emails and will probably be thrown in jail.
All the accusers of sexual misconduct of trump will also be sued into oblivion for daring to be against him
My LGBT friends and families will get their marriages overturned by new legislation passed by the GOP
Minorities of all types are going to get stopped and frisked and shot and killed when they just ask why
EPA will be gone, Planet will go Red Hot and we will have india and china level of pollution
Trump will have nuclear codes and be chummy with Russia.

no matter how many times I slice it this is a really bad...
It wouldn't surprise me if he tries, but being that it be civil court and he'd have to be subject to discovery he may soon find he doesn't like what is uncovered.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

It's way more then this.

Look at the election results across the board, and notice two things in particular.

First off, vote totals -across the board- are lower then previous elections. Especially for the Democrats. Compare the amounts Clinton/Trump won to the Obama/Romney election. Or the Obama/McCain election. Trump was winning some Blue states handily with numbers lower then Romney got, with Clinton barely getting anything.

Secondly, the real killer here wasn't a loss of new markets. It was the collapse of old ones. Red Wisconsin? Red Michigan? Red Pennsylvania? Minnesota and Virginia eking in with barely 5k votes to Dem, despite being some of the sturdiest strongholds the Dems have?

Democrats had a lock on the Presidency not because people loved the message. They had a lock on the Presidency because the coalition they formed controlled all of the major states in terms of electoral college votes, and Republicans needed to win all the swing states just to be competitive. All Democrats had to do, every year was win Virginia, maybe Florida, and they'd eke out a win. Hell even tonight, all Clinton technically had to do was win Virginia and she "should" have won. The loss wasn't losing Florida, or North Carolina, or even Ohio. She could have lost all of those states and still won tonight. It was losing states that weren't even in play.

This then ties around to.....well basically everything about the Democratic strategy so far, and just how bad it's been getting while we haven't been paying attention. Throwing random schmucks into the House positions that have no hope of victory, and no chance to be competitive year after year because why bother when they'll lose anyway isn't a great strategy. Sure the House is largely schmuckville anyway, but the Republican schmucks tend to have better soundbytes. Utterly needing to break gerrymandering, voter suppression, and more, but leaving those fights down the road because they didn't want to seem overly partisan is now biting them in the rear end badly.

Part of this is white backlash. But more then anything, this was voters not wanting to engage with this election, and that being utterly key for the Democrats in the Midwest. And that wouldn't be so terrible, outside of the fact the Democratic party has long been way underequipped for doing anything but being President/hopefully Senate.

The Democrats need, and needed new blood badly. They need to start funding and focusing on downticket races, and need to actually figure out a system for handling those downticket races as effectively as the Republicans. And they'll now need to work twice as hard, because you can bet your rear end the Republican SC is going to rip up voter rights/help gerrymandering spread across more of the country now, which'll make it even harder for Democrats in the future to win. They likely need to moderate hard, and try to re-energize their base in the Midwest, before it stays red, taking away all paths to power.

The fact Florida and NC were as competitive as they were speaks to their ground game. Don't blame predominantly swingy red states for going red for a populist, we didn't need them. Blame blue strongholds for winning with less then 5k votes, or formerly blue strongholds losing to less then 5k votes. That's where the election was lost this year. This year wasn't lost because Trump was a better candidate, or the whites came out in droves, or because of anything Trump did. This year was lost because Democrats largely rejected Clinton, rejected the party, and chose not to engage with the election at all, wiping their hands of the whole mess. The only people that showed up seems to be Obama's minority coalition, and they were betrayed by their allies across the board. That's what killed this election.

On the bright side McCrory lost. :unsmith:

( Bernie 100% needs to leave politics after today. I'd argue he is near 60% the cause of this loss, because from the sounds of things many of the people in the Midwest chose not to vote because they were huge Bernie fans that got led on too long/"Corrupt Hillary". Considering how many losses across the board were at the 1k-2k range, Berniebros did have an affect on this election. As I said, this wasn't a Republican victory, this was a Democrat failure, and much of that ties to Bernie, the corruption scandals, and more I imagine. )
If the whole DNC does as well and publicly admits to having destroyed the party in their idiotic third way drive then he should do it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fojar38 posted:

Isn't that a really bad idea

Oh yes, the dems will be back in power in ten years and it will be angry millennials and gen x ers leading them. We'll probably pretty much turn it into a rubber stand parliament and use the presidincy in a way that would make Trump proud.

Ornedan posted:

Maybe in the long term. In the short term it lets them do everything they want, including ensuring they win every possible election in the medium term.

I very much doubt they can ensure even medium term domination. Trump will be to the GOP in America what Pete Wilson was to the GOP in Cali.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How did this happen? How did we allow the narrative to become "both are so bad why even bother"? I know voter suppression was a part of it but god.

The Media has been doing that since the 80s.

z0glin Warchief posted:

It really seems absurd but I'm having a hard time shaking the idea the relentless focus on the email scandal really did cost Clinton the election on the margin (though it was only one of many things that could have gone differently to change the outcome).

Yeah, I'll admit while Clinton had real issues of being able to be sincere, the Media and Comey will probably both be noted for causing Trump to be President.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, all those conservative white voters will vanish into an abyss in ten years

They;ll drop by about 5-^% in ten years. Unless the GOP doesn't piss off the non white voters by not being lovely. (Yeah I know thats a hilarious fantasy) their not going to make that up and HRC didn't even lose the election by the popular vote. If they do not make up those lost voters they'll once again be where they were three weeks ago. Hoping the FBI will risk a 1861.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

TGLT posted:

I thought the votes were still being counted? If that does end up being the case though, man it is hosed up that the popular vote has been beaten by the Electoral College for a second time this century.

Might be for the best. After this election the dems in order to permanently destroy the GOP will probably need a populace who have no faith in the system as is, so that when we get power we can stack the deck and then use the government against our opponents.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yes but the President Elect is now Donald Trump. It takes only a modicum of representing fact to show that 90% of the american people are better qualified for the position. I still can't hold this in my hands. How are we so terrible?

Too many people use TV still. Likewise the baby boomers still exist.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

"Yay I got my old cheap policy [that doesn't cover anything] back! Thanks Republicans!"

"oops I died from lack of healthcare and can't vote as a ghost."

Yeah plenty of people in such a situation are just going to lose their policies. And yes they will know who cost them it. Probably won't help that around the same time the destruction of the Chinese Real Estate Market will begin a year long Armageddon that will see American Unemployment back up to 10 levels.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Retro42 posted:

China is having a drat party right now. If Trump enacts a fraction of what he wants on a global economics level they are positioned to replace us as a focal point of global trade.

Yeah, he wont. The GOP will gladly back him on the racist horseshit that will kill the party permantly and perhapse lead to 1861, but tarriffs and destroying NAFTA and CAFTA? Nope they'll block him as their backers will tell him. Plus they'll soothe him with more racist legislation. China will poo poo the bed, fallowed by india, and our economy will fallow in six to eight months.

Feinne posted:

I don't know I think it would in fact be exactly what he deserves if Trump gets blamed for the job market collapsing due to something that actually ISN'T his fault.

It isn't about whether you caused it or not, its all about being in the drivers seat when the poo poo hits the fan, you get blamed for the poo poo,

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

plushpuffin posted:

Everyone saying that this has happened before and we survived slavery and Jim Crow and Nixon is refusing to acknowledge climate change. We weren't facing the horrible effects 40-50 years ago. We are now, and it's going to get worse. Much worse. Every single year. There's been a low-level extinction event ongoing since we killed off the Mastadons, but it's accelerating right now into a very rapid mass die-off. Just try agitating to preserve our social progress as our government becomes ever-more authoritarian and we're losing a New Orleans-sized city every few years while running out of fresh water for drinking and irrigation.

Settle down dude.

Fojar38 posted:

China is actually turbofucked if he does this because China's entire economy is based on selling things to the US and it's already hanging by a thread.

Its already turbofucked, and so are we once the dominoes start to fall. Well at least Trump and the GOP gets blamed. Yeah Fox and the Trump network will scream its all Obama's fault but then who's in the white house?

porfiria posted:

Some scattered thoughts. I can't sleep. Interested to hear what others think.

-The country that approves of Obama by about ~6 points just elected Trump.
-The apocalyptically low turn out is what did Hillary in--nothing else is especially remarkable about the numbers, other than the polls missing how low the turnout would be. Is this basically correct?
-By far the scariest thing about Trump is foreign policy. Domestically at the end of the day the president's powers are fairly demarcated and limited by Congress and the Supreme Court (I'm speaking in terms of worse case stuff here--obviously repealing Obamacare and such is horrendous but it's not an existential threat to the Republic). But on foreign policy the president can do almost whatever he wants. Lots of ways this could result in true disaster--nuclear proliferation, NATO collapse, general uncertainty and destabilization.

-Other than climate change of course, which is a bit of a wildcard. Obviously on this front Trump is a disaster as well, but it's unclear exactly how active on this Hillary would have been, how effective steps we can take are, etc... Not trying to downplay this one at all, just not sure exactly the extent of the impact.
Yeah the NATO collapse is why I think we'll see Nazis in Europe. Its why I think America when it annihilates them this time should open up mission schools for the children of the European populace and destroy the nation state in Europe.

Beamed posted:

It won't kill the party if it didn't kill them this cycle.

Every cycle there are 2 and half percent less white people, and the white people dying are the golden children of the GOP. The Boomers.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Last I checked, Trump outperformed expectations on women and PoC vote share by a fair bit.

If so, shifting demographics aren't enough.

Oh of course not. The tipping point is the fallout from China and India making GBS threads the bed.

Cheesus posted:

A few random thoughts:

Trump's second term is a lock. Throughout this first one, we'll hear nothing but excuses blaming Obama for why he and the Republican Congress can't accomplish anything. It will be an easily won second campaign, especially since the Democrats won't have recovered or even really tried, let alone with a candidate that can win. Might even be that way for 2024 and candidate Pence.

Does anything happen with journalism in the US? Do they have any introspection with the damage they helped cause with false equivalences and free air time to Trump? Or is it just business as usual coupled with even more self-defanging due to the threat of lawsuits from the PUSA on anything critical?

Yeah I think you don't understand something. If facts on the ground are worse for the majority, they punish whose in charge no matter if they caused the problems or not, as Obama got punished in 2010, and Bush got punished in 2006. Trump lost the popular vote and if he does poo poo on the minorities with nation stop and frisk, plus goes whole hog on MJ states and sends out the deportation fores against Latinos the Dems will definitely have a shot. Plus the fact that the world is headed towards at the least major recession if not a crash due to as I've said, China and India collapsing economically the party as a whole will be blamed. Also if Trump fucks NATO and we begin to see Russia going Ukraine on the Baltic then Trump is also hosed.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 9, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The stock market is fine. Up a little even. I guess the markets are okay with Trump after all. :rip: democrats hoping Wall Street won't go all in for Trump in 2020

If he goes tariff war, they probably wont. At the moment they think he;'ll just get the police to kill the poor.

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol if you think accelerationism or pandering to white men will correlate to Dem wins ever again.

There won't be an Obama next time. We literally will not win again for another generation. This country is hosed and I hope the Republicans go out of their way to gently caress over straight white dudes, like they always do. You voted for this suicide pact white dudes, not us.

Considering the world was already on task for a huge recession within the next five years and Trump and the GOP probably accelerating that, why do you not think we'll win? Trump lost the popular vote and he'll have two percent less supporters next time. Trump will be the racist poo poo head he promised to be and piss off minorities while the countries economy goes up in smoke and he and the GOP will get blamed.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 9, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

More bitching about the poor lower class, whatever will they do now???

Surprise motherfuckers, their the ones who supported the Trumpster the most

Yeah because he promised them the nice paying factory shop jobs back. Well I have a news flash, their not coming back and their wallmart jobs will die when the recession hits. Now who do you think they'll blame? Oh yes the guy who is in power when they lost their jobs.

You see I love that people in this thread think that a man who lost the popular vote and mostly had Hillary being the wife of Bill Nafta Clintoon to thank for his victory is somehow magical, and will just initiate a thousand years of Republican darkness. I swear you are all worse then Freep.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

65 million people voted for Obama in 2012

50 million voted for Hillary

I hate Dems

Yes people were unwise, but we can realize that running a establishment person in a year of the insurgent is also unwise.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'd say that this will be the kick in the pants the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact needs to get to the magic 270 figure but I don't think there are enough Democratic state houses left to make it happen.

True. I would say that the Democrats should defintely make that part of their rebuilding effort. Seriously I love how people here seem to think a really low voter turnout election year means most of America is nazi, rather then the candidates just turned off people.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mintskoal posted:

Post-hangover thoughts:

• As a solidly middle-class white dude this doesn't really affect me all that much but I'm sad for my Muslim friend who got her doctorate here and is in the process of trying to get a green card
  • I am glad Trump made so many promises that are completely unfeasible and I hope his voters hold accountable to those
  • I firmly believe that after 4 years of straight buttfucking the middle class will elect Trump again
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If we're in a recession then probably not.

Lightning Knight posted:

Quit sugar coating this poo poo.

White people chose white identity politics and nationalism over progressivism. This country is hosed guys. No amount of accelerationism is going to fix that before global warming is unstoppable.

No, actually they voted even less for Trump then Romney, the election was lost due to significant numbers of Obama voters staying home.

Deified Data posted:

Because focusing on controversy gets more views/ad revenue than saying "he seems to be doing a good job".

Even this sort of rings hollow. America chose Clinton by popular vote. The EC chose Trump.

This to, also I wonder if the CIA thinks Trump is in tank with Russia if they might just decide that the FBI had the right idea.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

you know i'm like 90% sure people would have been perfectly happy here if clinton won the ec and lost the popular vote

No that would be preety bad. Also what do you think Trump could pull a thatcher with the Gerald Kaufman line or something? Whose the SD/LP in this scenario.

Lightning Knight posted:

So white leftists are like yeah gently caress it gently caress minorities let's just run old white dudes for eternity, we'll totally appeal to the white racists more than the white racism party.

The Democratic Party can't win being the Republicans but more milquetoast. You guys hate Bill Clinton for being exactly that.
Yeah who said that? Clinton lost in part due to her association with her husband who supported NAFTA, which to alot of rust belters was a disaster, they stayed home. Quite a few of them were not white either. Yes its unwise, but people can be spiteful in voting.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

A small fraction of black people and FYGM Hispanics. Your point is?

The FYGMism of Hispanics is another reason leftists are hosed lmao. Hispanics want to be white people, not show solidarity.

Y'all white leftists grave dancing on Hillary should be despondent at the realization leftism is dead in this country for the next 25 years.

Yeah lol I think someone hear is trying to hard to troll.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

People on this forum immediately jumped to "Bernie would've won, discounting racist white people was a mistake, we have to pander to racist whites to win, no war but the class war." Running white class identity candidates like Bernie is the logical conclusion to this. Which won't work because white people care more about race than class here.

Its not racist to think it was lovely your job got sent overseas and then wonder why you should vote for the wife of the man who was behind the policies that caused that. I will say I am enjoying the bottom tier trolling.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mintskoal posted:

I wouldn't underestimate the stupidity of the population1. A recession would be Obama's fault.

1 Source

Yeah besides showing the results what were you trying to prove? The GOP having a second crash under its watch would get blamed on it.

Lightning Knight posted:

Unions failed because the neoliberal business class appealed to white racism so they'd vote against their class interests but in their race interests. What makes you think that is different now?

Because Obama showed it was different, you know until a neoliberal who alot of workers saw as the image of their fall was nominated like Hillary. Troll.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

Keep calling the people who voted for trump evil and stupid

It's worked for you so far :rms:

Yeah did you quote the wrong thing?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jwang posted:

I'm glad marijuana's been legalized. We're going to need a lot of it in the coming months to stay calm.

This is definitely a place the dems could use to bounce back. It definitely helps with Millennials. Likewise maybe remember that all workers want dignity.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

I can already hear the goon tears in 2020

"I can't believe he won again! Won't those evil Republicans ever learn?! :sadfan:"

Keep it up cuck, we'll see just how tired they are of people like you

Yeah remind me why is a crashed economy going to win Trump the election. Look I know you're a subhuman sociopath, but I want to hear your justification.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

No but I don't think white voters in general would go for a non-white straight dude at this point.

Like Obama.

The only people I hate for this election is the boomers. Let the battalions of fear die alone with no healthcare or social security.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

That poo poo's going to affect everyone down the line, too.

Yeah,, I say eventually reestablish it, but make it contingent on whether you're a decent person. If you're a ancap, well you can live with your principles without it/

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jwang posted:

Florida is going to be real interesting when the changes in sea level from climate change really starts kicking in. Beaches gone because of rising waters and fresh water becoming brackish are among the immediate concerns that comes to mind. If things get real dire, it might even force a shift in populations more inland. Would the districts be redrawn again to adjust for this in order to maintain the status quo? Most likely. Would the votes change then? Probably not, people in a group likes rolling in their own poo poo and listening to echoes.

They don't redraw Louisiana, despite the fact its falling into the sea as well.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Magic posted:

How's the strategy of "gently caress You, Voted Mine" working out for you right now?

Like honestly if you want there to be progress you have to communicate with people who disagree with you, and putting all the blame on others is a convenient way to never be responsible for anything.

It's not "coddling" people to find out they're scared about poo poo and trying to find a non-racist solution for it. This attitude of superiority is why there's not a common ground, and again, if you want to hold moral superiority, you have to talk to people and understand them even when it's unpleasant and they're combative.

Like what's your goal? What's the end game of a progressive party that only caters to a rapidly decreasing base of the "good enough" who can be anointed with the blessed oils of liberalism? Where do you think people are going to be educated on their own to come talk to you and be good enough to warrant your approval when liberals control nothing about education?

You're running on spite. It's unhealthy. I know you're scared. It sucks and is unpleasant. But subjugating others to your fear is not right, even when they're doing it to you.

For the most part I agree, but the people who are already part of the KKK, Nazis and others. We should subjugate, we should make fear, we should make wish they did not think the way they did.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Magic posted:

They are despicable, but special rules become common rules very easily. This is not a liberal way to think.

I am no liberal.

Deified Data posted:

There is no convincing the true believers and never has been. This election was won because the media's focus on HRC's imaginary failings caused elements of her base to stay home. I firmly believe the media shaped this election into whatever form it needed to take to benefit their ratings. Trump's presidency won't be spared either.

Nah its a good policy if their for violent genocide.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 9, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mintskoal posted:

The GOP has maintained that the post 2008 recovery wasn't a recovery at all. I don't have any faith that they'd own a second crash. They'd blame Obama's policies without batting an eye.

Either way it's all speculation at this point.

Yes and they would be doing nothing to improve it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually, they'd cut taxes.

Funny.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah Clinton didn't lose because her anti-racist messaging was offensive to white working-class people. She lost because working-class people are giving up on the Democratic Party.

Jacobin explains this with solid methodology

They also have a great message today.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/trump-victory-clinton-sanders-democratic-party/

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

I'm skeptical that there are tons of Obama voters that went Trump especially when he didn't get Romney level of popular support. It seems more likely that Obama voters in those districts just didn't show up while the Trump guys did. It's more of the absurd "how can this country be racists, we elected Obama TWICE" said by people that voted for McCaine and Romney.

They didn't. Eight million people stayed home.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

Democrats may or may not have a strong bench in the next election. Bad poo poo Trump and his cronies do may or may not have terrible effects in the long term and could realistically be overturned. The effect Trump will have on the Supreme Court, however, is something I feel will have very long lasting damage to the nation- and we'll be stuck with its legacy for generations.

Yeah it's probably gonna require court packing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

Legitimately interested in your answer

It is simple. They don't vote.

• Locked thread