Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Jesus christ what a baby he is worse than the posters in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Lol if you don't think he will just tell his supporters they aren't doing great because Obama and he needs more time.

Will this explanation still make sense in his fifth term?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Trump gets compared to Berlusconi a lot. Anyone with a good working knowledge of Berlusconi who can give a good summary of what that is going to mean for Trump's presidency?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Mozi posted:

(such as sleeping with underaged models at crazy parties, for instance.)

Weird, I wonder why people see the similarity

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Majorian posted:

Absolutely. I know a lot of folks don't think Warren has the charisma chops to do it, but I think she's been upping her game substantially over the past few years. I'm looking forward to seeing what she becomes by then.

Exactly, and even though she might not cut it in 2020, this is the time for rising stars in the Democratic Party to start, well, rising. The bench was depleted, and we are now living the nightmare. We need to keep an eye on the democrats who do the best job resisting and sticking to their values.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Remember when USPOL attacked Bernie for being too ideologically pure?

Yeah that was pretty stupid

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

I doubt it. Not even counting the amount of differences between the American populace between 1980 and now, Reagan was able to do what he did because he was extremely popular and Trump is not that. He is one of the most unpopular presidential candidates ever and barely won against one of the other most unpopular presidential candidates ever with pitifully low turnout, and even then he couldn't win the popular vote. At least half the country hates him and this is his honeymoon period, his popularity will sink even lower when he inevitably fails to deliver on his impossibly vague and grand promises and the economy tanks. He can try to blame Obama for his failures, but Obama's approval numbers are sky-high and I don't see them falling any time soon.

2020 might be good timing for the glorious revolution. If progressivism can sweep then, we also get to win the next round of gerrymandering

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Wouldn't we have to sweep in 2018 for that?

I think we need to worry more about defense in 2018 than anything else. 2014 was a republican wave in the senate so there will be a disproportionate number of republican seats available in 2020

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

It's also important to win state-level races even if Congress can't be reasonably flipped. I know that there's a competitive special election in Washington next year that will decide whether Dems have full control of the state legislature.

Oh def. more than loving anything dems need to score victories locally, and in off-year elections. I don't know how we get people to vote more than once every four years but dammit I was guilty of that and this election is gonna get me off my rear end in 2018.

We relied too much on being able to get the presidency relatively frequently.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

You're part of the problem

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Weird. I could've sworn I remembered people talking about a bad California Governor either in or impending. I don't know poo poo about California though.

Edit: ^ we controlled the Senate at that point and were poised to gain power, right now we don't have seats to burn.

Like if we have somebody from a blue state we know for sure is replaceable fine but I have a feeling a lot of people here want somebody from a swing state we couldn't easily replace. The lack of depth of talent or a meaningful bench is murdering us.

We Californians like Jerry Brown enough that we wanted him back 30 years after his first tenure as governor

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I've had enough of the Democrats being aisle-reaching pussies. We need to fight back.

100% this gently caress cooperation

If they won't play ball why should dems? I want any dem working with republicans primaried into oblivion

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Why do you think long distance trucking will be gone.

Have you never heard of self-driving vehicles before?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

But yeah, denying Obama a Scalia replacement is horseshit but good thing nothing will ever come of it.

And unless we get a progressive justice out of it, I can only see Democratic votes for any Trump appointment to replace Scalia as traitorous.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

SavageBastard posted:

So we're just going full Tea Party liberal, eh?

It worked for them.

Edit: And besides being insolent, they are stealing Obama's nominee. You don't loving reward that.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

This is intensely accurate and should probably be in the OP

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

disjoe posted:

No joke, sounds a lot like Hitler's cabinet

:godwin:

Remember when Godwin posts were something to mock

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

EwokEntourage posted:

Who's the guy on the far left that can't match his shoes to his socks and suit

Trust me, that dude is not on the far Left.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The proliferation of fake news and the discrediting of journalism by sheer inertia has made a lot of 1984 begin to happen. It's loving frightening and I don't see any way out of it. I had a recent conflict with a friend wrt me trying to disprove some false news thing he heard and his response was basically "Well did you see it for yourself? How can you ever know what you've heard is true" and I just wanted to cry

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's really a lot more like Brave New World at this point than 1984

Sorry, I hadn't read Brave New World so I couldn't pull that one but from what I know of it you're right.

gently caress, I should read Brave New World when I'm a little less depressed.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

If there's any solution to this mess, it's not creating our own fake news sphere. I think Truth is highly valued by our side of the political equation unfortunately.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Meatball posted:

He'll pay it from the US budget.

FTFY

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Eh, if Ted Cruz could probably get into the presidency then she could.

It's Okay If A Republican Does It

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Scott Walker's first few years in Wisconsin is a good example of what America will be like for Trumps term. Massive sustained protests and constant examples of horrible policy combined with literal actual law breaking that is either ignored or changed after the crime.

It is gonna be awful.

And Scott Walker is still in power, right? Buckle up. We're in for 8+ years of Trump.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Why no you see, it's truly the fault of internet democrats who hurt racist dickbags feelings that made them vote for Trump. It all makes sense really.

Holy poo poo can we stop with the "but no, you see" posts. Its the most frustrating thing in these threads and it happened twice on the same page just now and I need to speak up

It's a strawman tactic even if you make a good point and makes me groan. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Talmonis posted:

My apologies. I'm super salty today about Trump supporters and their bullshit. Apparently they're going around to Starbucks and putting his name on their orders to make the employees yell out "Trump," and throwing shitfits when they refuse. Nothing but a bunch of petty assholes.

It is pretty funny how self-defeating a Starbucks protest is when they are paying for that coffee though.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

demonicon posted:

So I am here. Reading all the messages you guys have. Feeling a bit guilty because of My whiteness but then reading all your terrible polotics you want to implement.

You guys are the reason the left didnt win. Your college un realism your loving wrong optimism your lovely view of the world from the eye of one spoiled child is the reason the left will never win.

The problem is that you guys are caring about problems the average family doesn't even know about. The bigger problem is that you guys don't even know about the problems a typical family has in the US.

And do you know why you will never win? Because 90% of you guys reading that will say that they care more about Trans gender than the typical US family.

Nope. The left has no room to abandon minorities. If you think so, go be a republican I guess.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Forgall posted:

They really, really want to, if some posters here are any indication.

I want to point out I made that statement from the position of someone very much on the Bernie wing of the democratic party that agrees that identity politics are not enough. The answer isn't abandoning these groups though. We need to do both, not be "republicans but not as bad and not racist/sexist"

The call to abandon sickens me.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Condiv posted:

both are important imo. hillary's campaign failed us by failing to have an economic message that speaks to the working poor

Couldn't agree more. I voted for Hillary because Trump was/is Literally Hitler, but anyone too blind to see that also didn't see an economic message from Hillary and she lost a lot of votes.

Coalitions are important.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Well if we make sure and run on only Economic Populism in 2018/2020 we can find out!

You're a complete idiot. No one is loving saying this.

Edit: except for German posters

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, the one German guy is.

Plus I don't know how you promise to keep the rust belt open to defeat Trump and also do something about climate change.

Can I point out that everyone was slapping down that one German guy instead of nodding in agreement

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Barron is in charge of the cyber

He's so good at The Cyber. You won't believe how good he is

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Oh my good loving lord.

Someone post the comic again

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Would TPP be good for Trump's business interests?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

I can't even comprehend how anyone right now could think both sides are the same

There are people who believe both parties are secretly working together and this is like a stage play/kabuki/pro wrestling where some politicians pretend to be good guys and bad guys

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I know there are concerns about an overturn causing civil war etc, but what happens if they really did steal the election and utterly get away with it? Why wouldn't they keep doing it forever?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Russians or Republicans

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

get Soros to fund it

/pol/ going apeshit would alone make it all the worth

I skimmed /pol/ last night because I hatr myself, and they are crapping their pants at the vague possibility that their boy could be overturned

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Motto posted:

Why was the TPP bad again? The only specific point I ever heard was from pirates fearing that it'd make it harder to steal poo poo.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_most_brazen_corporate_power_grab_in_american_history_20151106

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Isn't Manifest Destiny like a super duper loving racist thing? Why would he suggest that or use that phrase

Your first statement answers your second

• Locked thread