Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Schizotek posted:

Berniebros tank election, smugly gloat about how its everybody but their fault. Glad ya'll could crucify my future as part of your tantrum.
Turns out white people are garbage no matter their political affiliation.

Is this ironic, I can't tell. That scapegoat stopped being viable 6 months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Stuff like that ultimately drives people towards guys like Trump. You can't just namecall and bully people all the time and expect them to suddenly want to take your side on anything.

As for Clinton herself. I never want to hear about her again. She came to the Super Bowl to play against a loving amateur, and lost. You're supposed to be the career politician, you're supposed to be the chessmaster, and you get beat by the most beatable candidate ever? Get lost.

At the end of the day, we thought there was no way we could lose, so we decided to chastise the voters we would eventually need instead of courting them, full-stop. I'm sure it felt really good to do at the time but it just cost us the loving election.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Renoistic posted:

As if logic and reason would work on those people. That ship sailed long ago.

And that's exactly the attitude that cost us the election. Why bother engaging these people if they're all crazy assholes who will never see reason? Better just exterminate the lot of them, the toads.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Schizotek posted:

Nah. Combining all minorities and women to try to make it look like they came out in force for Trump is dumb and weird. You'd get the same "more than 50" result for the Bushes, Romney, and McCain This was just the dying spiteful gasp of the Republican main voting block. Trump got white women at the same rate as Obama got all women, 52%. He got slightly more of the black and latino vote, but even latinos were still democrat 2-1. This was a vote decided largely by the mobilization of conservative White Males.

This obviously isn't the dying gasp, seeing as they won. Also, it's an easy out to lay the blame at the feet of initial-capped Group I Don't Like but if we want to win future elections we probably should think a little harder.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Lessail posted:

Explain it then for us idiots. Right here, right now.

We'll listen to these groups and their concerns. We'll tell them that their fears and pain are valid and we have strategies to help them. We won't cast mean-spirited aspersions about these groups because it feels good and we think we don't need them. We will do this or we will die.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Schizotek posted:

I don't "dislike white men" or whatever lolsjw's nonsense you're trying to do. They were just overwhelmingly the deciding factor. We should work harder to get white men to vote democrat. But trying to say this is because of Trumps support with women despite women voting for him less than previous republican candidates is just stupid and wrong.

You literally said the words "white people are garbage"

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

RasperFat posted:

gently caress that noise. "From the sounds of things Berniebros one again foiled my obviously awesome candidate".

There were never large numbers of "Bernie bros". Clinton failed to inspire every democratic demographic and laying the blame on Bernie is how progressives will continue to lose elections in the future.

Sorry to quote from a while back, but this is on point. Bernie was the only reason a large number of young left-wing voters got involved in the election in the first place, and it's frankly a shameful kind of scapegoating to try to lay this thing at his feet. The party railroaded in an establishment politician and managed to screw up the biggest electoral slam dunk in recent history, full stop.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Also another reason I think trying to coddle diseased conservative brains is loving pointless is because I have a bunch of loving people blocked on Facebook whom I've tried to explain things to them in a kind matter and I was told I was a brainwashed liberal lamestream sheep. Partially because I used facts from liberal brainwashing universities instead of 'common sense'.

So, yea.

gently caress them.

Good. Let the hate consume you. It's not us who has to change, it's them! Which they won't, so maybe if there was only some way to make these people stop existing entirely...

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

After the hullaballoo subsides a bit, I'll probably reactivate my FB account. And those same folks will be there; the ones who I tried MANY, MANY, MANY loving times to have civil conversations with about the state of the nation.

Before I was met with "BENGHAZI! EMAILS! LYING LIAR WHO LIES!" when talking about stuff like climate change, education funding, etc. I'll earnestly wade back into the fray...and will likely be met with "LOSER! TRUMP! LEAVE THIS COUNTRY!".

I mean, do some of you just not co-mingle with people in conservative circles or something? I can't find a single data point upon which even the most frugal of inroads can be made with these folks. Maybe I'm a poor explainer or poor debater or whatever. I dunno', but since 2000 it seems like I'm trying to talk to some sort of hivemind instead of an individual when confronting people who are conservative that I know personally.

And they'd probably say the same thing about you, that there's no way you'll ever see their brand of true reason and that you're a irredeemable loon who drinks the party kool-aid. The point is that it's easy to give in to that kind of thought, because it ultimately lets you off the hook for having to actually debate or change anyone's mind. Both sides accuse the other of buying into the hivemind and of being impossible to deal with, and that's how we've arrived at this point.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Probably the same reason black posters were getting probated extra hard for things white posters could do no problem in USPOL November 1.0 and USPOL October.

Salon: Does Somethingawful.com Have a Racist Moderation Problem? We Won't Come Out and Say It, But We'll Ask the Question in a Way That Implies That They Do

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The "you must live among them & find common ground" argument is crap, honestly. Look at how much "being nice to people and demographics who didn't support him" Trump did! All I can see in that argument is a clear double standard, where the right can be openly insulting against racial minorities, religious minorities, women, and LBGTs with basically no penalties or reprecussions...but the left are awful people if they dare to be anything less than one hundred percent in tune with the needs of uneducated white males.

Then we're lost. Absolve yourself of all responsibility, there's no point in trying to change minds because there are no minds to change.

Also, this continued line about the evils of the uneducated is exactly why we get accused of being elitist.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Then provide some concrete examples of where exactly these inroads can be made & where they've worked within our modern political framework?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you or other folks in this thread who contend that it's unproductive to be completely dismissive of the majority of the Republican voting bloc. I just haven't found a way to reconcile that idea with what actually happens when I try.

That's true, and I don't really have a good answer for you. I understand the frustration, but I think there's a currently a kind of social cachet in very publicly declaring that anyone from The Other Side is impossible to deal with and you will be deleting them en masse from your social media and life. I don't personally blame people who tire of trying to debate in good faith, because it takes a lot of energy and time, but there's no moral good in self-segregation and entrenchment.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Radish posted:

Yep I think this is exactly it. The Democrats don't need to get Trump voters, they need the Obama voters that stayed home.

Unfortunately, the Hillary campaign expended most of their effort on telling people why they shouldn't vote for Trump, and not why they should vote for Hillary. I think this election should show once and for all that a campaign built on spite can't get your core voters out in the numbers you need.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

Watching white people try to grasp for any reason as to why all of this isn't their and their white nationalist relatives fault when literally every other racial group is telling you "no, it is. Racism and sexism in America is on y'all", because every single reason you think of, makes no goddamn sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

It's the fault of all you "good" white people that are still smiling and laughing and loving your hateful bigoted sexist and racist rear end family members instead of cutting them the gently caress off and treating them like the awful fuckin people they are.

And now here we are. Y'all didn't want to make the sacrifices that minorities have to make everyday, and you hosed everyone in the process.

You are absolutely unhinged, and never in a million years will telling people to cut their families off create the society you want.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Ways Bernie ruined the election
1. Daring to run a successful grassroots campaign despite having little public presence at the time
2. Stepping out of the race without complaint or anger when it became clear he wasn't going to be the candidate
3. Campaigning for Hillary and telling his supporters that getting her elected was priority #1
4. Existing
5. Something about being Jewish?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

There is nothing unreasonable about ostracizing bigots, friend. Some people are dependent on family and there shouldn't be expectations on them to chew off their own leg or anything, but it's actually cool and good to cut bad people out of your life regardless of blood relation where it's possible to do so.

Dear family, it is without regret that I will not be attending Christmas this year, in light of a joke my younger brother made in 1998 where he claimed erroneously to be of Chinese descent and to have urinated, with malice aforethought, in my Coke

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

I'm glad electing a fascist with a VP who is virulently anti-LGBT is a joke to you, good for you.

Thanks, I thought for a second I had accidentally posted in the No Jokes Zone.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do you comprehend that internet posters do not represent political party discourse? Do you comprehend that SomethingAwful does not represent the discourse of society at large?

Again, who are the Democrats framing this as white people versus everyone else? Name politicians and public figures.

But we can devote large swathes of time to complaining about the alt-right and berniebros? Do things only exist if you personally think they're important? I think it's perfectly valid to point out these damaging and ultimately useless parts of the discourse.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

Basically this.
Literally all of the friends I have in my profession are white, and yet over half of them statistically would be better off vanishing from the earth, as it would make the world a much better place for everyone else.

Well, if that's not just straight up hateful then I don't know what is. Really, dude.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

A vote for Trump ranks above it imo.

I didn't vote for Trump, and I don't spend time fantasizing about extinguishing people. Excusing this kind of poo poo is infantilizing at best and hate at worst.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

I didn't say you did vote for Trump, but I think voting for a fascist is unarguably more hateful than the benign statement that a ton of white people not existing would make the world a somewhat better place for many others. He didn't say he actually wants it to happen, you know.

I fail to meaningfully distinguish between someone saying "my life would be better if all these people stopped existing" and whether they "want" for it to happen

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

OWLS! posted:

Unironically this.

Thankfully there are many options for comedy in this world, and the comedy circuit for the next for years is going to be FANTASTIC.

Finally, liberal comedy will again be infused with the Bush-era Daily Show fire of actual plucky underdoggedness and resistance, rather than dicksucking establishmentarianism and screeds about microaggressions at the coffee shop

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The first one is good for sure.

I hope this election, if anything, proves that internet articles about serious topics stuffed with lame reaction gifs from popular films and our favorite Netflix Original Series are loving stupid and should be abolished immediately

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

yeah this is a deeply, deeply lovely thing to do unless he donates all of the rereg money to RAINN

also i have to laugh at the pearl clutching of "leftist echo chamber" as if a place where it's not OK to use racial slurs or be a bigot is bad

Are you, like, forgetting what forum we're posting on. Toxx bans are a tradition and they're funny. Deal with it.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

WampaLord posted:

For the record, I never understood the point of Toxxing for an election. You win nothing, why even bet?

The chance to have your 90% shot blow up in your face like that one guy getting hit with a grenade in the Hacksaw Ridge trailer

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

All trump voters are irredeemable racists and we should do no effort to even consider them as fellow countrymen. They Are fully responsible for the system that gave them two flawed candidates and they are also fully responsible for all the economic troubles they have faced for the past 3 decades. Also all trump voters are white as gently caress. Hillary was a perfect candidate and I'm going to remind you that she won the popular vote, dammit, even if half of all eligible voters didn't vote.

#ImStillWithHer

This. So much this. We might have lost, but the important thing to take away is there is absolutely nothing we could've done differently, nothing to learn from our defeat, and no way we should alter our behavior in the future. If we do, the bigots win

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

I don't recall seeing posts about how the rust belt voters don't have it bad, but I feel it's important to point something out.

Even if it is 100% solely following the hierarchy of needs that leads you to vote for a fascist bigot out of self-preservation, this makes you complicit in that bigotry at a bare minimum, and thus to some degree a bigot yourself.

It's fair to argue about why various sections of the electorate chose to vote for the bigotry but 100% of them share responsibility for the climate of harassment and violence that follows as a result. Furthermore, I'd argue that "racism and all other forms of bigotry are inherently evil" isn't even a big concept. It's like, one of the most basic ones, rural whites being absolute dogshit at understanding it doesn't somehow make it not basic.

Rural whites are dogshit at it because they're busy making sure their trailer doesn't get towed away for nonpayment of their parking fee. You can't expect these people to be as educated as you are about the sociopolitical implications of their vote, and you're drat sure not going to get them out to vote for your candidate by harping on about how awful they are.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

I agree it is a good time to make fun of people worried about Donald trump winning an election

You're delusional

It is, actually. Setting this up as some sort of grand trauma and declaring it off limits for jokes is exactly antithetical to what humor-and this website-are about. The more you whine about it, the more of it you'll see, because you're not the arbiter. Grow up.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

It is cool and good to laugh at people losing their insurance and trans people being afraid for their lives all is well time for jokes

What a neat and fun person you are! Jokes yay!

Yeah, and you sound like a real blast at parties. Humor is a coping mechanism, and the thing it resists most is moralistic boundary-setting and attempts of people like you to contain it. This sort of pearl-clutching sacred cow worship is exactly the reason you're getting made fun of.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 10, 2016

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

No one in this thread is being prevented from making jokes, but if you want to make jokes at the expense of marginalized people and feel the need to whine about being called out on it, then like any conservative "comedian" you are a garbage human being, hth.

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening, not someone equating making fun of overly dramatic reactions to the election and the banning of C-SPAM posters to a hate crime against trans people

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

^ gently caress did fishmech permatoxx? Goddamnit now where will I find that kind of laser focus pedantry

Yeah okay, I'm sure you feel that way, but again no one is actually being prevented from joking. I'm personally pretty okay with saying the person calling others "retards" is human trash.

Also pretty cool that you get to be arbiter of what is and is not overly dramatic, how did you land that gig?

Nice try. Making light of someone isn't the same as telling them they can't do something. Everyone is allowed to Chicken Little it up about the election result, and we're allowed to laugh about that. Also, I never defended using the word "retard" or any other slur, just that it's exactly the kind of lame argument-winning tactic to immediate start screaming about marginalized groups when you feel targeted by jokes in a way that you don't like.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

And you know that the people being made light of have no legitimate reason to worry for their safety or their future because...? And yes, you're allowed to laugh about it, but it still makes you a poo poo person. Maybe one day you'll realize this and try not to be so horrible but I don't think any of us will be holding our breath on that.

It's because this is the same hysterical reaction that the right wing has had to the two previous elections, and we made fun of their doomsaying and wailing too. But somehow, this result is so insanely serious that even making light of it in a generalized way is the worst sin ever and a direct attack on identities whose names are being used like some sort of power word. It's the very definition of being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

PKJC posted:

Oh I see you've never heard of VP-Elect Pence then. Not that a piece of garbage like you will give a poo poo but other people reading might.

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Maybe learn something about the concept of punching up vs punching down? Nah, too hard and no one in /pol/ will appreciate that kind of humor anyways.

So the entire topic of the election is off limits then? I never made fun of trans people. You're making a false equivalence because you're upset at having lost and having to eat your portion of crow. I'm a liberal, but "punching up/down" is all relative and a really easy deflection tactic when you're upset that you're not being taken seriously for once.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

You're not going to get very far with HR, screaming about trump supporters. I can guarantee it

But they think the wrong things, and that makes me angry and scared. It's an assault on my well-being to be disagreed with

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's cool and good that Democrats have so quickly recovered from this sound rebuke from middle america and landed on the winning strategy of ostracising dissenters from their little clique

I'm sure they'll drop everything for a chance to be on the losing team now

The important lesson to take from this election is that we need more purity, a smaller party full of people with the exactly correct opinions, and, more than anything else, fewer voters

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Dude, Hillary won the popular vote and lost in states by razor thin margins. Acting like all is lost forever is stupid. This wasn't a landslide or anything. The Republicans are going to be in power and when awful things happen economically it'll be their fault.

Actually, this is the worst thing that ever happened, we're all going to die, and telling me to calm down is hate speech.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Ok, to be fair those first two things are true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zja3pcPMszc

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Radish posted:

Yeah the media didn't really give him much positive airtime, but they didn't really give him as much negative as he deserved. His more outrageous stuff was downplayed like "maybe it's a little strange he's saying Hillary should be jailed after the election. BTW all her scandals are real and she is possibly a criminal" and "yeah he's so presidential now that he's met with Mexico." The deluge of airtime he got really made him look much more legitimate while Hillary had the constant stink of corruption by a media that was ever present in just asking questions. Like Trump literally had a charity he used for fraud but that was a byline while Hillary''s was under constant questions about "optics" by "leftist" outlets like the New York Times.

The simple fact that he was everywhere all the time did a lot of that work for him. If you looked at Slate, Salon, HuffPo and any number of other left-leaning outlets, they had five articles about Trump to every one about Hillary. Even if they were negative, giving the man his sheer ubiquity is something these outlets took a huge role in.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Trying to convince everyone that racism played no role in something in which racism did indeed play a huge role contributes to racism on an institutional scale. That's why you're not convincing anyone.

I think the question is less whether racism played a role in the election (it unequivocally did), but more that attempting to build a campaign on the opposing party's prejudices without floating a suitable carrot on your own side is a losing proposition. We're not going to get the votes we need in 2020 simply under the banner of fighting prejudice, we need to offer a personal incentive for these people to come out to the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

It turns out a lot of self professed progressives actually have zero progressive values.

Agreed; I'm seeing a shocking number of posters arguing that people should start arming themselves. It's an insane idea when the right says it and it's just as bad when we say it.

• Locked thread