Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

ive been reading about what she did as secretary of state and holy gently caress she has no good graces from me anymore

the acceptance of the third way types by people with decent principle was fundamentally transactional: they were allowed to lead because they could deliver victory over republicans and tories. nothing else about them was ever desirable.

now they've lost their only selling point and they're shocked that people don't like them any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

In Australia the 'Liberal Party' are the main conservative party.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

UV_Catastrophe posted:

the social democratic bernie-style message jives perfectly with the morals of traditional christianity, and yet they're all hardcore conservatives

it's way frustrating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UO8wlZymM

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

zegermans posted:

Maybe everyone agrees on this point but there's no sense yelling about something you can't change (Comey being a piece of poo poo) but we should focus on things we can (DNC being corrupt/Democrats not focusing on economics)

i think moreover this is the democrats thread so democrat-internal issues are a proper focus for it

a spooks thread could be cool though

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

politicians tend to have genuine beliefs and advocate for what they believe, overall. pure power-hungry psychopaths go into business.

the upside of this is that you needn't be so cynical about 'lying politicians,' as the style has it

the downside of this is that obama and his ilk genuinely thought they were doing good sensible government and won't suddenly become communists now the elections are done with

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

when does the ec vote actually happen

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

logikv9 posted:

They had Penn for the first campaign who was a grade-A moron and this campaign had Mook & others who decided that Nate Silver was the future and went all in on that. Tbh it wasn't the worst thing they could do but they were playing with fire and should have been more careful.

If they'd listened to nate silver they'd have covered their arse in the midwest more lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

logikv9 posted:

i hope she runs and wins because it seems to make a lot of people angry

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

i like this one the most

im gonna use this one for someone trying to coin the term "white feminism" unironically

its just crony capitalism using feminism as a selling point, the end. Scams~

it's an established term lol

feminism by and for middle-class white women

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

really tho

where do juggalos intersect in this

https://twitter.com/cuttlefish_btc/status/810892617735139328

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

The USA was founded and exists as a collection of states. As part of making it work, it was decided that the states should compromise on their relative levels of political power to put them all on a more even footing so that the rest of American history wasn't just a few of the biggest states overruling all over the rest. It's basically affirmative action for states that are underpowered. This is fine and works fine.

while this is an american politics thread so yeah, i still love how parochial american statechat is

just reorganise your provinces geez

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i shouldn't talk too much given how absurd the idea of 'reorganising' the border between england and scotland would sound in contemporary britpol tbf

there's some talk of an 'english parliament' like the scottish parliament and it'd be ridiculous because it'd be a parliament for like 90% of the UK

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

jeremy corbyn is like bernie sanders successfully ousted barack obama at the expense of losing half the party in a civil war only to reveal that he was really barack obama in a rubber suit the whole time

i've seen like three people with that av in different colours, where's it from

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

silver ruthlessly owned the rest of the stats heads and gave trump credible chances back in june lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

he went against the grain for the whole general election by taking trump & polling uncertainty seriously and deserves the credit of his relative victory imo

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

don't some foreign countries straight-up use the fda as a guide to drug certification, i read that somewhere in an article concerned about it being gutted in the next four years

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

booker was elected in 2012 so primarying him in 2018 would be a good way to hobble his presidential campaign early on

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

Part of the article's thesis rings true to me -- the part where it talks about how the Dems and GOP are basically different countries at this point, with different news sources constantly reinforcing their negative stereotypes of each other, constantly talking past each other, never talking TO each other, and never agreeing on anything (except when centrist Dems buckle in the name of compromise lol). That is something I've seen and it's troubling.

centrist dems like to hand-wring about this problem, but always discount out of hand the obvious solution 'win the fight and determine terms of reconciliation from a position of strength'

meanwhile the republicans have been pushing for that straightforwardly. their strategy has been excellent for securing permanent political dominance for a minority

(it's because 'winning' would negatively impact the class they represent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

good

• Locked thread