Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Thoguh posted:

We haven't really touched on this yet in the thread - but her campaign spent a lot of time highlighting all these republican figures that were going to be voting for her instead of Trump in an attempt to sway moderate republicans to vote for her. But at the end of the day those republicans went ahead and held their nose and voted for Trump.

My thought is all those endorsements, both outright and subtle, hurt her overall because they did more to supress democratic turnout than they did to pull republicans over to her side. Especially since it was a bunch of establishment republicans who were making those statements.

It also likely further galvanized conservatives who were already bitter at the establishment GOP.

They may hate Obama and Hillary, but they also hate the establishment GOP for even allowing Obama to accomplish anything. If you link the two, it's just extra motivation to get to the poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Triangulation does not work and hopefully is dead after this disastrous election.

Triangulation does not work and hopefully is dead after this disastrous election.

The problem isn't triangulation, it's having an actual loving candidate. Quoting myself from somewhere else:

quote:

Eisenhower vs Stevenson, Kennedy vs Nixon, LBJ vs Goldwater, Nixon vs McGovern, Carter vs Ford, Reagan vs Carter, Clinton vs Bush, Bush vs Cheney, Obama vs McCain, Obama vs Romney, Trump vs Clinton. Probably further back than that, honestly, but I haven't taken the time to dig into it as much as I would like. The only race I can't frame in this is Bush Sr vs Dukakis, which is basically "I'm going to continue Reagan's legacy, you all liked Reagan" vs "I'm in a tank". Every single time, the winning candidate had a better grasp of appealing to the emotion of the electorate regardless of their actual policies or ability to achieve them.

Bill absolutely triangulated, but he has charisma and ran on a message. "It's the economy, stupid" worked really well against a guy who had to walk back on the "No new taxes" pledge even if Perot played spoiler. Hillary ran as simply not being Trump and hoping the massive unfavorability of Trump would buoy her. It might have, if she had given anyone a reason to vote for her besides "I'm not Donald Trump".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What about Reagan/Mondale and Nixon/McGovern? What about those?

I mentioned Nixon/McGovern. Reagan/Mondale and Nixon/Humphrey were so forgettable in my mind that I didn't even mention it.

Nixon won against Humphrey as the law and order candidate while pointing to Vietnam as a debacle. He won against McGovern by a combination of the DNC being fractured and painting McGovern as too extreme for middle America.

If Reagan's margin of victory against Mondale isn't proof enough that sounding folksy and taking advantage of good feelings works, I don't know what to say.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

If by offset you mean "win elections in spite of", then yes. If you mean "reach crazy people" then no.

Liberals have lived in fear of conservative media for decades. When Al Gore lost, people in part chalked it up to the power of right wing radio. When Kerry lost? Swiftboated.

Somehow the Kenyan Muslim with terrorist teachers and America hating pastor won in 2008 with like 10M votes though.

In 2016, Republicans fired full on against the evil they'd wanted to fight for almost 25 years: Hillary Clinton. They fought and fought and... got the same ~60M votes they've gotten in the past 2 elections.

Democrats run utter bores with no message and have for at least the past 8 years let the DNC fall apart. Yet still they get more votes in total than Republicans in the presidential election, and their losses in key states chalks more to people not showing up or being so uninspired that they go 3rd party than anything else.

Breitbart is like the 130th most popular site in the US. It's got a small captive audience of dummies. It's a meaningless sideshow.

Democrats lose by putting up candidates that suck and run against their opponent rather than for something.

This isn't to say that the power of the conservative media apparatus should be discounted. Talk radio, Breitbart, etc, all distort actual media and reporting. When Facebook can't properly filter out right-wing bullshit from actual news because conservatives start screaming that the big evil liberal media is trying to silence their right to vomit bullshit everywhere, there's a problem. The media isn't entirely blameless in this -- they're the ones who gave Trump all the free advertising he could have ever wanted because it was good ratings and money.

Yes, the hardcore right-wing lives in a reality-proof bubble where facts have no sway. The issue isn't in reaching them because they're not going to vote for Democrats. The issue is in preventing their bullshit from infecting the information that the rest of the country gets.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

lol if anyone actually tries to push 'no no we need BIDEN and guys like him'. Like, that would just straight up be an admission that the only issue they had with Clinton was gender based then.

It's not about gender, it's about authenticity in connecting to people. Biden has it, Hillary doesn't.

Biden's authentic as gently caress, comparatively broke as gently caress for a politician, and doesn't give off the robotic controlled air that Hillary does, even if he's more centrist than both Clintons combined. Biden tears up talking about his son, gets visibly angry talking about the troops he's visited who got blown up, calls things a big loving deal. Hillary would never do that, and I realize that Hillary wanted to moderate herself to avoid the crazy woman card. Seriously, more genuine "Hillary talking about going to space, freaking out at balloons and brushing her shoulder during a bullshit Congressional hearing", less focus tested "dangerous Donald" bullshit and paling around with celebrities.

Given the choice between Trump and the most centrist that ever centered a center, it would still be a win for Democrats because it's not Trump.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nonsense posted:

His son died, and all that went out the window because he was a literal wreck. Understandably.

Biden's been through far more poo poo than anyone else in Washington, and he's still an optimistic hopeful guy at the end of it.

I want him to go out, help people, and do sick burnouts without the weight of the world on his shoulders because if anyone's earned it, he has.

I'm just saying that saying that Biden could have won against Trump is not a misogynistic attack on Hillary.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

loquacius posted:

I don't like Biden on the issues, but I think he would have had a better shot at winning the general because he (a) came off as a human being and (b) didn't have the exact perfect baggage for Donald Trump to exploit like Hillary did

Also, you see, he is a man and misogyny would not be a factor, which was the main reason Hillary lost.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

what if the dem leadership is embracing progressives so they can blame them for a bad election in 2018 and purge them again? Im just having a hard time accepting all these ancient neoliberal third way shits who have dominated the party for a generation are just surrendering this easily to a takeover by the progressive wing

well, they can't blame vince foster any more...

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

"Senate Democrats’ Surprising Strategy: Trying to Align With Trump"
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/us/politics/democrats-house-senate.html

Really though, is anyone surprised by Democratic leadership playing quisling to a monster?

Why the hell not. Play parliamentary games on anything the Republicans actually want, work with Trump on the populist poo poo he promised.

At best, you get some populist nonsense pushed through and alienate Trump from the GOP. At worst, the Republicans nuclear option and ram everything they want through anyway so who the gently caress cares might as well dodge some of the "WAH WAH DEMOCRATS ARE BEING MEAN AND NOT LETTING US DO ANYTHING" Republican screams.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

docbeard posted:

She made a point of talking about policy in the debates, too, but it was all ultimately in venues that only the people who were already kind of tuned in were likely to see.

There was policy, and there was (some) outreach, but there was drat little combining of the two.

The policy was just to contrast herself and Trump and make her seem like the adult in the room.

Notable presidents elected by this strategy were Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, Al Gore, John Kerry...

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the biggest problem there is how do you argue it?

He didn't have any plans, he just kept saying "I WILL BRING JOBS BECAUSE I AM A RICH BUSINESS BOY WHO DOES BUSINESS THINGS". Like, how do you fight a dude who apparently makes people trust him based on just pure prosperity gospel poo poo?

You run a candidate who doesn't have the public perception of being Nixon in drag and who can counter that prosperity gospel bullshit by actually harping on the fact that he's a terrible business man who's only out for himself, just like the CEO of the corporation that closed the factory you and your family worked at for generations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Trump's message was identity too! God drat man why is it only 'identity politics' when minorities do it? Trump's entire message was identity! We'll be one America under one god blah blah blah, for gently caress's sake the retard ran for like a straight week saying 'we'll be saying merry christmas again'! He constantly talked about how those bad hombres and Muslims weren't integrating into America and how others were constantly trying to gently caress with our identity (as straight white guys).

If you genuinely think that populism is such a meaningless totem that you can do all that but also throw in 'also I'll bring those jobs back from those loving Mexicans and orientals' you get to say 'uh excuse me it was a message of hope actually' then you live in a bigger bubble than any hillary voter you smugly look down on.

False promises are still hope if you buy into them.

Trump blaming the problems of the lower class on nebulous others and promising to do something about them is still a message of hope to his audience.

Trump deriding current politicians whose policies and actions have done nothing to help rural America and promising to 'drain the swamp' is still a message of hope.

It doesn't matter if it's delivered in hateful and spiteful tones: Trump sold his audience the hope that electing him would make things better for them. Clinton did no such thing.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

right but how many of the kinds of people who's hope comes in terms of 'the goddamn chinamen are conspiring' would support someone who's message of hope would be something like 'we need to improve our social programs so people don't go hungry' and poo poo?

The hope wasn't "the goddamn chinamen are conspiring", the hope was "Trump will do something to stop the chinamen because Obama and Washington sure as gently caress aren't going to, they didn't even bother helping me get my blue collar job back and also now I have to pay Obamacare taxes, Trump said he'd get rid of those too".

Stop conflating Trump's actual words and the understood message. Taking him literally but not seriously is exactly why Clinton hosed up and didn't do poo poo for Michigan/Wisconsin.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fullhouse posted:

just check my website

be sure to tweet your response in three emojis

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You talk about the messages of hope you have offered people in the past. For example: You promised gay people a better life, where they could get married to the person they loved, and you loving delivered it. They had hope, and that hope was realized. And you can do the same for the hopes and dreams of your target audience, just like you did for them.

Before Tatum gets their underwear in a tizzy, please note that the people who are going to be pissed and horrified that you acknowledged gay people as people aren't the people you're trying to inspire.

Those people wouldn't vote for a Democrat even if the election was Jesus Christ-D and Satan-R and you know it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Baloogan posted:

that begs the question: what is language? what does it mean when we say english evolves naturally?

English was intelligently designed by King James, the author of the Bible.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Trump seems like he's changing the game just fine

he changed the game from monopoly to calvinball

it's not exactly a step forward

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

It's huge (yuge, if you will) for Trump and Republicans. It could have been huge for a Dem candidate and the Democrats.

no, because the republicans would still control the house and state legislatures and the democrats would still be spineless incrementalists

monopoly is apt because once someone starts winning, they continue to win and the rest of the game is just a slow painful slog towards the inevitable end

in the current hypermajority game of calvinball that the republicans have, they can just go ahead and rewrite all of the rules to 'trump and the republicans win, everyone else can suck it'

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Since this thread has largely become about arguing and sharing arguments now that the initial wave of criticisms has passed, would people like to see a dedicated "Getting Involved and Staring Involved" thread?

There's an activism thread, but I think that's more for particular causes rather than helping the Democrats unfuck themselves.

Go for it. At worst, nobody posts in it or it gets gassed.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

it's a good thing you're getting me all hyped up to vote for <insert democrat here>, steve

i don't know how your policies are gonna affect me and my blue collar, but i sure am glad you have this platform of "vote for us, we're not them"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

I don't need to water the flowers before a rainstorm.

i don't need to spend money in michigan and wisconsin

i need to go be on stage with lena dunham, that will endear me to voters

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

If Trump doesn't turn dictator and rig the elections and we win in 2018–– I.E. we gain a ton of governorships and we don't lose seats in the Senate–– then 2020 will be a cakewalk no matter who we nominate. It could be loving Lieberman and all the progressives will be knocking doors out there in full force.

Trump is the shittiest person to ever be elected President, is already the shittiest President-elect ever, and will be the shittiest President ever. He's skipping intelligence briefings. He's throwing money at any company threatening to outsource. His cabinet is the Legion of Doom.
Even if he does a fantastic job (he absolutely won't), that 4.5% unemployment rate is going to go back up and all Dems have to do is shout "WHERE ARE THE JOBS, DONALD? WHERE'S THE WALL, DONALD? WHY HASN'T MEXICO PAID FOR IT?" and hammer him on all his broken promises and inevitable failures, and we should be all set.

once again, the democrats are going to define themselves by their opponent, and they're going to lose because the GOP gets to say "well, yeah, we have to undo eight years of OBAMA"

do you have any thoughts on trader joe's, steve?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

A 74-year-old Trump who clearly didn't even want to be president will not go for a second term

he wanted the title and authority, not the position nor responsibility

he'll run again if he's healthy enough and continues to have pence there to do all the actual work

Serf posted:

The man has an ego roughly the size of Jupiter. He will not turn down the chance to continue being the most famous and talked-about person in the world.

also this

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

comingafteryouall posted:

yeah, and that is why Republicans suck and Dems should be campaigning on hating the banks and wall street and actually following through.

but how can cory booker hate the bankers when he himself is made of bankers? :smug:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nerses IV posted:

I just don't get it. Didn't they understand that it was her loving turn???

this is us pol thread
wish we were cool thread
clutchin' at pearls thread
i'm postin' right now
if hillary don't win i'll be dead
i'll post in us pol thread
and i don't really care if nobody else believes
because i'm a goon on the spectrum per the dsm-v

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

hello i wish to learn more about smashy-smashy. do you have some sort of newsletter

we were going to print one, but amanda got a bit overzealous and smashy-smashy'd the printing press

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

i know we're all nihilists here but she was right, the last thing louisiana needed was a presidential campaign. but of course trump got the W there because he didn't give a poo poo if the security for his event disrupted the actual process of rescuing people, but that's how it goes.

louisiana didn't need it but her campaign sure did

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Yinlock posted:

or we could try to see trump as he actually is rather than play directly into his cult of personality

img-parksandreclookingshocked.gif

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

docbeard posted:

I seriously cannot wait until a presidential candidate is asked about their participation in something called 'Nite Crew'.

it'd be like choom gang

we go play cspam

l a t e r s

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

freckle posted:

We need to run a center-right candidate in 2020 to take down Donald Trump, idiot.

but they can't have unpaid parking tickets

or have talked to people who aren't republicans

we just need to run republicans

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

heres my list of class enemies so far

1. liberals
2. feminists
3. the rich
4. "Costals" ;)

but im starting to think feminists should be number 1?

you know sometimes those rich people do us favors like donating to charities that benefit everyone, like the susan komen foundation

sometimes they create us jobs too

maybe we should just take them off the list

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

class enemies:

1. pigs
2. pigs
3. pigs

great, more concessions to AIPAC :rolleyes:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

nah im afraid we're booked solid for the next fifty years with appointments to claw bloody runnels into our own faces while screaming about liberals

ughhh

i hate this socialized obamacare making me wait fifty years for an appointment

its just like canada

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

as if you could ever get the leftists to agree to line up in a circle like that

lets just sort of mill around and shoot each other in the head at random intervals then

tbf the left does this with more precision and determined motions than i've seen at the tomb of the unknown soldier

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

ideological purging is like the one thing the left is better at than the right, let us have this please

that's not true

we have better comedians and celebrities, look at them, look at how great they are

lena dunham understands my pain as a blue collar white dude

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Democrazy posted:

What points, what values, unite the Democratic coalition that we already have? Without striving to at least understand our own coalition, I don't see how we can hope to expand it.

uhhhhhh

we're not republicans

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Democrazy posted:

Bernie Sanders wasn't the only person to find resonance with that message. Barack Obama's 2012 campaign (and to a lesser extent, 2008) was built on that, and he's one of the most popular Democrats alive. Don't sell economic populism short.

economic populism works

the issue is in electing an actual economic populist

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

lets just keep going back and back to the drawing board before we can even think of doing anything.

the drawing board is white, this upsets me

:fuckoff:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Keith Ellison is a muslim from Detroit, Michigan

Can you imagine someone from such a backwards area try to run the DNC?

i don't know if we can appeal to disaffected republicans with this pick, maybe we should reconsider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Gavin Newsom is basically Mitt Romney with better taste in religions

how does he feel about trees

are they the right height?

• Locked thread