Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I hope you and your politically connected insider family get real jobs.
He could easily throw his lot in with Soros and friends effortlessly but he probably might have actually developed a conscience instead of a constant quest to stay afloat in a sinking ship that is this idiotic economic system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So here's a question, how do we shift the academic left to where it needs to be? Because right now the focus is on race and gender and how everyone that disagrees is a racist sexist that won't acknowledge their privilege, and that's where the next batch of fresh faced young campaign staffers, thinkpiece writers, and everything else is coming from. They're going to make it very hard for Democrats to shift back to being the party of the poor, because that's not even on their radar. Hell, I imagine to them the Trump victory just validates everything they've been told about rural voters.
part of the focus on identity politics was to completely avoid addressing economic issues let alone giving lip service to them

trump had lip service

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MysteriousStranger posted:

Either give up the pretense of giving a poo poo about people and just live it up while making fun of people and accept the fact that we are the predators and problem with this country.... or give up all the fun, tax the ever loving poo poo out of ourselves, move jobs out of our community, and actual deliver on what we claim to be.
the former was the GOP strategy the last 30 years and it had diminishing returns as people got poorer and corporatists thought the effect of diminishing returns would slough off if they picked the other party :kiddo:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Marlows posted:

Racism, bigotry, homophobia, and out and out white nationalism are not something you hand wave away. Its wrong, and its wrong period.

Please, lets not whitewash Trumpism. I get that people want to use Clinton's defeat to restart a counterproductive fight between class-only leftists against modern liberals but lets not get carried away.
that's why all the class-only leftists went for trump!!!!

oh, no, they stayed home or voted for pissass instead

nobody's handwaving it away. if trump didn't go on a racist platform he could have stolen the rust belt dems. loving think.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fiction posted:

Can we have like a section of the OP devoted to mathematically showing that Clinton lost because of not turning out Obama voters and nothing more so people stop their idiotic whining about minorities ruining everything thanks.
pretty much 1001408800042042042069696969%%%%%%%% this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Subpar Superhero posted:

ah yes, the working class stakes out the twitter accounts of campaign surrogates looking for rude memes about white men. that explains our loss.
yes, redneck johnny applefuck, married to a latino woman and trying to support a family of four on a meager income of 24000 dollars a year is definitely going to vote trump instead

oh he just blank wrote-in his ballot instead

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Goatman Sacks posted:

So when literally nothing Trump promised happens in four years but his Pence shadow presidency has completely annihilated all labor unions and work protections they once enjoyed, will the rust belt people come back? Because if not they can feel free to be sucked into fast moving machinery halfway through their 18 hour shift.
they didn't exactly eat it up near the end of the Bush era, and things are already hilariously bad

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

That's quite possibly the scariest thing about this that I haven't even considered before.
and that's pretty much the sentiment among bernie supporters, if the DNC didn't spend so much time burying him while reverse-virtue-signaling trump at the same time (which, by the way, promoted his campaign) things would have turned out a biiiiiit differently

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

:yikes: what a racist.
as an experiment i logged off and saw how soon it took to look at a democrat shooting themselves in the foot

just 12 seconds scrolling down on twitter and we already have people dogpiling people who express that economics concerns are just as important as identity politics as "racists" while they continue to prop up right-wing economic policies in their party because hamilton tickets aren't cheap

and democrats keep wondering why they lose elections

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Montasque posted:

I was in college during George W Bush's first term so I guess my concept of the left was frozen in that time.

Then during the general election I was shocked when people were cheerlead globalization, neoliberalism, and 'Red Scares'.

I remember during the early 2000s ID politics were important, but the focus was on economic justice.

I'm not sure what happened on the left in the past 14 years but here we are.
citizens united happened and democrats started getting dependent on the teat of the ouroboros circlejerk of corporate welfare like their gop compatriots

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

her entire thing before jumping onto Bernie was being the Democrat Fox and all could call to huff about how Obama needs to man up and bomb more people and call it Radical Islam and stop having talks with Muslim community leaders and focus on fighting the war and poo poo.

As soon as she got with Sanders it became 'oh yea the war is totally bad, how dare he'.
sanders possibly being the only dealer of reality in the senate makes it a greater than zero chance that he actually convinced her

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the corporate oligarchs will take every dirty trick they can to undermine populists, this isn't exactly a surprise but people fall for it every time

maybe people don't actually deserve democracy

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Get the professional class to realize they are also working class, benefit from many of the same things, and have many of the same interests just in a different environment. At least for younger professionals, focus on the difficulty even the professional class now has accumulating and keeping wealth - no matter how high their income gets, they're still drowning in debt to the extent their net worth is hardly more than that of rural blue collar workers. Draw contrasts between that and the robber barons doing everything they can to raise property prices and rents and make real progress in the professional class more difficult for their own benefit.
this is a pretty amazing prognosis and i'd promote it if the loudest of the "professional class" weren't such neoliberal liberterian trash and are thus hellbent on downplaying such a concept up until they get laid off then they disappear into a gun in their mouth instead of become humbled and actually start lobbying to improve everyone's lives, which takes effort

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Clipperton posted:

What has the Democrats' being pro-gun-control actually achieved? I'm a non-American and I genuinely don't know. What legislation have they had passed and (to the extent that anyone can know) how effective has it been?
in a fit of modern irony, it was hilariously taken up to score votes with racist white voters in the south

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Joementum posted:

Democrats should pass a law that says you have to call them "clips" instead of "magazines" and then harness the heat emitted by the ever-building internal rage of gun forum dudes as a green energy program.
unironically this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eonwe posted:

can we stop this election thank you
just as soon as nvidia completes skynet and brings it online and end the scourge of democracy

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

poe's law applies quadrupletime in that that's what some posters actually believe

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

Quick update: Obama people still melting down over Keith being a shoe in. Clinton world mysteriously quiet outside of support for a recount. Looks like the party is bouncing back faster than I thought it would.
*puffs joint* good poo poo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mugrim posted:

I know so many people 100% sure that she won't run in 2020 and I have zero idea where they get that idea. If a humiliating loss was all it took to stop her from running she wouldn't have run in 2016. I'm not saying it's happening, but I'm so confused by people saying it's an impossibility.
if the DNC decides to make it Her Turn(tm) at the cost of a populist with an almost pristine voting record again democracy isn't going to survive, sorry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

You do realise the only way to get a pristine voting record is to not have a voting record, right?
do you have the word "almost" in your vocabulary

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Christ it would be amazing if he pushes for investigations and they uncover gop fraud
then he pushes an executive order to legalize gop fraud which legalizes independent party fraud which results in hacking being the new voting, leading to a very strange future where alex jones is appointed to God-Emperor

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

heres a good article about how silicon valleys globalization and technology push is loving a lot of people

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/silicon-valley-has-an-empathy-vacuum

Otto, a Bay Area startup that was recently acquired by Uber, wants to automate trucking—and recently wrapped up a hundred-and-twenty-mile driverless delivery of fifty thousand cans of beer between Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. From a technological standpoint it was a jaw-dropping achievement, accompanied by predictions of improved highway safety. From the point of view of a truck driver with a mortgage and a kid in college, it was a devastating “oh, poo poo” moment. That one technical breakthrough puts nearly two million long-haul trucking jobs at risk. Truck driving is one of the few decent-paying jobs that doesn’t require a college diploma. Eliminating the need for truck drivers doesn’t just affect those millions of drivers; it has a ripple effect on ancillary services like gas stations, motels, and retail outlets; an entire economic ecosystem could break down.

Whether self-driving cars and trucks, drones, privatization of civic services like transportation, or dynamic pricing, all these developments embrace automation and efficiency, and abhor friction and waste. As Erik Brynjolfsson, a professor at the M.I.T. Sloan School of Management told MIT Technology Review, “Productivity is at record levels, innovation has never been faster, and yet at the same time, we have a falling median income and we have fewer jobs. People are falling behind because technology is advancing so fast and our skills and organizations aren’t keeping up.” It is, he said, “the great paradox of our era.”
the world needs more people like this sweet autistic summer child :patriot:

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-universal-basic-income-2016-11

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

Alternatively: the global capitalist elite just dispenses with the rest of us.
ah, the behavioral sink solution that immediately leads to extinction

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

when this article gets big i can't wait for all the huffpost thinkpieces that trip over themselves saying this supports racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/ableism while their readership eats it up because they don't actually read anything

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

the cuck shalt not meet the eyes of the bull
i dunno a lot of hillpeople and GOP loyalists threw false accusations at bernie's face, what's yet another cuck in the face of the bull's horns

if there's one thing trump is earnestly, intentionally bad at, it's attacking really hard targets

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Nov 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

My view may be in the minority since they expected their property to vote for them

Quote does not equal edit
you still did good :unsmith:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

how in the gently caress did we win any noncoastal states at all
nominally competent democratic senators in those states

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

real life: "okay that was pretty good, what if we made bob page also the president"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

pelosi will do her job of fighting back about medicare/medicaid and thats important enough to accept her now
i think she needs lessons on keeping a grip on reality from The Bern she seems to be losing grip of it lately

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Pelosi is good at what she needs to be good at--maintaining party discipline in a fractious House.

Keith Ellison being head of the DNC would be a far better move than replacing Pelosi.
yeah pelosi has some brain cells left, it's gonna suck when corporatists finally assimilate her though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

anime was right posted:

pelosi is pretty progressive while also being establishment and i think throwing everyone who is half useful against the wall is dumb.
yeah this, we don't need a complete cleanup we just need to get rid of the corporatist quisling blue dogs that infest most of the higher levels of the party

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yes i think we should ask more questions like "are jews people" after matching our public welfare and economic policy with that of the republicans' -- someone standing in front of the nuremburg trials 20 years later

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

"when they go low, we go high" will be on the Democratic Party's tombstone

we need a gritty reboot of the Democrats
*looks forlornly at a box labeled "Franklin Delano Roosevelt", and a stack of papers detailing his scorched earth strategy*

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crazy cloud posted:

an extreme lack of empathy that blinds you to this possibility is a stronger candidate for mental illness
unfortunately, sociopathy is seen by most of society as a virtue, whereas empathy is a flaw that needs to be destroyed and bred out

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nocturtle posted:

That's good, as it can't be all up to Sanders just due to actuarial considerations alone. One thing that stuck with me from Sander's primary run was the open admission that a political movement couldn't be based on one person alone, and emphasizing the need to take back the house to actually do anything. A prerequisite of that is building up a number of strong candidates, who should be lining up right now to score easy hits on the mess that's Trump's incoming administration.
but wall street won't take me to their cocktail parties if i had principles
:qqsay:

quote:

This is correct, Trump's presidency is going to offer progressives a lot of opportunities to gain support by loudly and publicly criticizing an administration straight out of the gilded age. It's already started, which is why I thought it was weird that I was only seeing reports about Sanders. It's not like Democrats even need to struggle to find a popular message, if nothing else Trump and Sanders have shown that people are willing to support almost anyone who makes even a half-credible promise to provide stable employment and financial security. The Democrats really shouldn't be losing to Republicans on this point.
actual progressivism is actively avoided by oligarch-owned MSM, you're going to have to yank people out of their huffpo/nytimes/salon safe spaces first

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

It is time for the left wing to get angry and :ssj:
last time we did we got them being suckered into idpol at the explicit expense of a full political assault (including both economic crisis action and civil liberties) by quislings

there's diminishing returns at least, you can only siphon the wealth out of the people for so long to the point where they're all eating each other, everyone being too poor to buy your products and as a result your stock prices crash after being the highest they've ever been because apparently that's the only economic factor that matters :iamafag:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

zegermans posted:

So if they reform the DNC completely who will people complain about when 2020's Denis McSanders loses?
the only way that's going to happen is if they just shoved all sorts of minorities and poor into gas chambers

which is not an impossibility, eh eh eh

Serf posted:

Seriously we ought to make voting last for a whole week, with two of those days being paid holidays. The democratic process is literally at the core of our country, it is shameful that we don't give it the respect it deserves. All elections should last a week, too, not just the executive one.
no what's going to happen is that the GOP is going to throw a tantrum and dems will fold like they always have because economic voter disenfranchisement is also helpful to the rich

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

zegermans posted:

Swiftboating and emailghazi demonstrate you can't just ignore something if you don't think it's a valid attack and expect it to go away.
maybe the party could actually support opposition to these attacks on poo poo being done 20 years ago like the GOP does (even though they do that for stuff done "20 minutes ago" instead of "20 years ago") instead of crawl in a hole and die as dems are inclined to do

Serf posted:

I love that at the very end of the article, long after most have stopped reading, they then say that Jewish groups supported him and that he admits he was wrong and has changed lol
you gotta love the ways you can be dishonest while still technically having facts. more than ever we need noam chomsky for psychic god-emperor 20forever

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Keith Ellison renounced the nation of islam stuff ages ago. I agree more of this poo poo is coming his way, but what should he do that he hasn't already done?
democrats growing a spine and putting out arson fires instead of cowering in fear, perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about.
i know, right

• Locked thread