Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Voleh wasn't really that much worse than Issac as a college player. Slightly worse scorer, slightly better rebounder, similar shot blocker. Actually shot better from 3 but didn't take as many

Ellenson is one of the more blatant cases of "well this guy is white so he must be a good shooter" in recent memory

You're right about the 3p%. In Isaac's defense he played 10 minutes more per game, shot 10% more on 2's, and averaged 1more block and steal

A lot of the times his guards just dumped him in the ball in no man's land, and their offense had so little movement.

And at Indiana Vonleh was at his best near the basket where he could take a few dribbles and pivot around college wings and bigs and put in layups with the help of his long arms. He didn't play that much like a stretch big. Isaac took a couple dribbles to get open on the perimeter or to get to the ft line for an open midrange jumper, and his shots close to the basket came on lobs and easy passes to dunks.

Vonleh has the body of a stretch four but kind of played like an old school power forward in the post, Isaac plays like a stretch four. His shot blocking is overrated though, most of his blocks look like a long armed guy just out-longing another player, not preternatural timing or leaping ability. Actually the more I think about him the more I see him as a role player. If he goes somewhere with a good defensive player development coach, maybe he could be the versatile defender that people are projecting him as, maybe.

But you never know!

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

That's so loving stupid unless you really, really like Josh Jackson

Maybe the secret handspan numbers are out and he has Kawhi hands.
According to draftexpress he has the same wingspan as Fultz despite being 5 inches taller.
Also John Collins from Oregon's wingspan is 1.5 inches shorter than his height, pretty impressive

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If Boston gets Markelle Fultz this year and someone else decent next year they have a good chance at winning 1 or 2 old lebron era broken up due to luxury tax warriors championships

Lebron has played so many minutes, even if he's a perfect basketball machine with the best drugs and best cryochambers, he can't do this for much longer

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Name another good American born white PF/C besides Kevin Love.

Blake Griffin
Carlos Boozer

But the problem white bigs have in general, including Blake Griffin, is wingspan. Certain west african populations have much longer arms in proportion to height which becomes an overwhelming advantage when you hit the edge of the edge of giant human beings who hoop. When you see Bol Bol's loving hands swinging at the bottom of his knees you start questioning the rules of your ball game and banning the dunk shot and things of that nature

But Collins has the potential to be good, he really has potential. He can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound, and play defense, at least in the tiny sample we have of him playing. He's just an all around solid big on a below market deal, ideally.

Most of the really tall athletic whites are artificially fat and playing left tackle from 7th grade on. You have to get really tall really fast for like the average what you loving racists would call white suburban kid to be shunted to basketball, Malcom Gladwell paints a nice picture of it, despite being a propagandist for tobacco and other reactionary awful things at other times.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Wait wait wait.

The Lopez twins aren't Spanish???

They're half puerto rican

I'm going to start banning everyone who applies the one drop rule to anyone who hasn't made a public proclamation of blackness

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 10, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Correct, but in the modern NBA every team needs two guards and five on your roster, as opposed to one big to start and maybe three on a roster. If you look at teams around the league now far more need to upgrade their guards - starters or rotation depth - than do their bigs.

Just looking at playoffs skews your perception because the most talented players are going to be smaller. But without competent bigs you get the huge disaster of last year's Houston Rockets or the Trailblazers before Nurkic. You need them. They're less likely to become Superstars but they're like the pillars that support your carport of hoop success.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The main thing about the Lopez twins is that they have red hair like my loving nemesis from elementary school, Marcos. loving red haired bitch. I don't regret anything I did to you or beating you every single time in flag football, if you're reading this

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Isaac isn't a 3, he's not agile enough, he's just a very skinny 4 who should be able to switch pretty easily on defense. His lack of in between game is a DOOMSAYER, he really needs to learn it to avoid becoming an Ibaka. He's being projected as a rich man's Jon Leueur but it's hard to say, his guards never passed to him at florida state.

Ty1990 posted:

If the Sixers end up with say picks 1 or 2 and 6, would a backcourt of Fultz and Fox or Ball and Fox fit with Cov/Ben/Embiid?

You don't want Ball if you have Ben Simmons and Fultz, that wouldn't make any sense. Simmons and Fultz are a nice combination because Simmons has the playmaking to make up for Fultz's lack. Fox is also a bad fit because he can't shoot and is a pg. Why would you draft Simmons and Fultz and then take the ball out of their hands? I don't see the sixers getting the lakers pick, but if they somehow get 1 and 4, the logical picks are Fultz and Tatum, who's a real 3 who can do the things you want a small forward to do in the contemporary NBA.

If you want to get wild, Fultz and Monk, because Monk gives them a dynamic scorer and a third own-offense-creator after Fultz and Embiid. If they get 2 and 4 they could draft Jackson, try and go wild and trade down a couple spots and pick up Dennis Smith. I don't see why Fox is rising so high in mock drafts. Maybe he cut his hair?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 11, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

A 5'10" dude with 6'8" wingspan, too. lol

Who is this monster?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I really wish the top propsects at least went for measurements at the combine. I need to know hand sizes and real wingspans

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709370-nba-combine-results-2017-friday-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709127-nba-combine-results-2017-thursday-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

There's a searchable thing on draftexpress that isnt working
..from his injury.

Zach Collins has petite hands for a 7 footer. 8.25 in a sea of 9.5 and 10.0s. the freakish wingspan guy juwan evans has freakishly narrow hands. hahaha his arms are like stilts.

Ike Angibobu should rise in the draft based on doing well on all the measurements

Terrance Ferguson, the second coming of Terrence Ross has very unimpressive wingspan but very wide hands. Though the wingspan thing is mitigated by him playing sg

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

If you were LA, assuming they have #3, would you trade #3 for #8 and #10 to the Kings if it were on the table? I think I would rather roll with Isaac/Collins than another SF or PG. I also am low on Jackson though. Feels like Stanley Johnson again.

Josh Jackson is a much higher level prospect than Stanley Johnson. Their similarities are hair, shaky jumper, solid all around game, willingness to play defense. But Jackson is a better athlete, bigger, faster, more agile and hoppy, and he's a better scorer. He might not be as much of a passer. He does play defense. The similarities are cosmetic, though. I don't think there's a huge amount of risk in Josh Jackson unless his shot dies hard and he can't adjust to NBA length. Stanley Johnson has struggled in the NBA, because teams don't respect his hair restricted jumper, and give him no room for those plodding stone foot drives. Josh Jackson can do more in those spaces than Stanley. I don't feel like I'm doing him justice. Just watch a couple condensed games and you'll see why hes' a 2-4 pick and Stanley was an 8

And no, in this draft there is no way I would give up 2 for 8 and 10. Unless I had some secret intel that I could get Dennis Smith and Markannen with those picks and I was also getting like a top 3 protected first in addition

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Only two quibbles: JJ is much smaller than SJ weightwise (~20 lbs) and his passing is much better, to the point that it's one of his strengths. SJ is functional to mediocre in that respect.

Jackson played really well for the whole year, but showed off a lot of new skills in the last part of the college season.

You're right, Stanley Johnson is both longer and heavier, I guess Jackson is so much more bouncy and quick that in my mind he was larger because he could cover more ground.
As for the passing, I'll take your word for it, they both seemed to be good wing passers in college against good competition.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I really liked Donovan Mitchell. I wasn't surprised he was low because he doesn't totally have an NBA position but if he's going to shoot the way he's shooting now in the pros that kind of doesn't matter.

Everyone has seen Bell be awesome, I love watching the dude play. My only question is if he can do what he does when it's NBA dudes attacking the basket instead of college guys. However in a project draft (for bigs) him going below guys who are just physical specimens didn't make a ton of sense.

The Lakers only have one wing player under contract next year unless Nick Young makes a bad business move and unless you think Loul Deng is still a wing (and even after the draft he may still have to be). They really need another wing, to the point that whoever they draft, even if it's going to be Ball, is going to have to spend some time at one of the wing spots.

Also I've seen most of Stanley Johnson's career, am an Arizona homer, and still it doesn't compare to Jackson (who I've also seen a ton of). Jackson is a better defender and a much better finisher once he gets into/near the paint. The questions about the shot are fair and valid but if getting to the rim is still possible in the modern NBA Jackson is going to score.

It seems like there's still at least a regular season slot of several minutes per game for undersized hustle bigs. as long as they play defense. If he ever learns to shoot he could become a rich man.

Donovan Mitchell is hotter than a heat wave since his measurements came out. His best fit is a team where there's no illusion of him learning to play pg, somewhere with multiple other ball handlers, like New Orleans, philadelphia, or Cleveland.

I think wingspan is quite overrated at 1-2 because of the sort of defense they're asked to play, but his wingspan is necessary jst to bring him to baseline at sg. He can get buckets and he's a decent athlete. Just a square peg, he could be a value if he can prove that he can defend sgs and not get squashed when he's switched around. Also, Pitino guards always seem to be misfits, I wonder why. Maybe he recruits for his scheme which doesn't require lots of savvy passing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Fultz is a fantastic shooter off the dribble

Lots of threes off the dribble as the pnr ball handler

http://fansided.com/2017/05/02/markelle-fultz-nba-draft-scouting/
He real good

I feel like Jonathan Isaac is the Dragan Bender of this year's draft

I'm seeing Terrance Ferguson mocked to Detroit, which makes sense as they're dying for 3p shooting. But there are so many other guys I like, even if they don't fit, there are much higher ceilings. Jarrett Allen could be the sort of competition to scare Drummond into playing well. Anuboby seems like he'll find a solid role somewhere and potentially be great, if he fixes his shot. The bottom of the first and top of the second have a ton of intriguing role players. It's a good year for the teams that got the throwaway 1st round pick from a contender

The Nets are going to give a max offer sheet to Kentavious Caldwell Pope who can't seem to consistently find his three point shot. That's a ton of money for a 3 and d guy who doesn't really have the three. But kent bazemore got it and he's kent bazemore. demarre caroll got a huge contract after tearing all his ligaments. Wings just cost more. I'm still working through video of the 10-40 guys to decide who the Pistons need to draft aside from trading up to get Edmond Sumner.

Goofy loving Givony has Donovan Mitchell to detroit at 12, despite Mitchell not being able to shoot threes and the Van Gundy system withering and dying without at least 3 credible 3p shooters on the floor at any given time.

I still think that Hartenstein has more potential than Lauri Markannen, even if Markannen is obviously better now. Hartenstein has moves and a touch, if he can make his threes, I shouldn't even type out that out, just make it an acronym IHCMH3 he'll be a more desirable player, because he's a pf and you won't need to find a rim protecting pf to pair with him, like you would with Markannen, and because his faux dirk one leg fadeaway and pop looks like an NBA signature move.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 14, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Those Fultz numbers are great.

I can't say you're wrong about Hartenstein being better than Markkanen because I haven't seen him play, but I strongly disagree that people are touting Markkanen because he has a move that looks like Dirk. His shooting is really, really objectively good (one of the best in the whole draft), he has a fast release, and he can score in the post, in the PnR, or off the dribble--he's the second best offensive player in the draft, so he'd be a lottery prospect even if he was like 6'4", 6'5". He's not like, Thomas Welsh, a catch and shoot guy who doesn't do anything else.

Oh no, that's the opposite of what I meant, Hartenstein has the cloned Dirk move. He can pop and fade for a jumper on one leg or two, like Dirk, anywhere. Markkanen is just a good shooter from any spot. It's a shame he's not power forward sized, though the it's cheaper to pay a power forward who protects the rim as well as a median center and is mobile, than to pay a standard center to do the same job.

Although, Cousins and Olynyk have demonstrated how easy you can make your offense for a lot of possessions if your center can make threes, and also how you really die on the offensive boards if your center is in the corner.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Barnes plus 2 inches is basically Rashard Lewis. Honestly if Lewis were reincarnated into the draft now he'd be worth a first overall.

Proto Rashard Lewis with better defensive instincts is going to go between 5-8 in this draft. If FSU had less selfish guards, who knows how high he'd be

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the Sixers do take Jackson. I wan them to grab Williams-Goss and Hart in the second. Or package a couple seconds and Okafor to move back into the late 1st and pick, like, Jawun Evans or somebody like that
They don't really need Williams-Goss, they have 3 below the rim slow point guards on the roster already. Hart is nice just because he's a nice all around player who could do well given minutes on a functional team. Jawun Evans has peg arms, when the wingspan hype dies down he might move down. But he's the kind of small guy that moves in the right way to succeed in the NBA. When he needs space for a jumper he pops like a little popcorn to get plenty of room, he uses his arms to do deceptive stuff off the dribble,
decent three point shooting could make him a solid backup pg on a normal team or starter for the Sixers

Declan MacManus posted:

You can find shooters in free agency, you can't find a Josh Jackson in free agency

He's not at risk of being another Michael Kidd GIlchrist, he knows how to fall and there's much more variety in his scoring than pure athleticism stuff, but he will compound their problems with spacing and floor balance in general, if the Lakers don't draft him first.

He has a hair impeded shot, I feel bad for posting it constantly but he needs to cut his loving hair and it would be so much easier for him. He'll also be good for the Sixers CULTURE because he cares about defense and plays hard, hopefully he can infect the team and not let Simmons's blahh autism be their team personality.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Who cares how much he costs. What is it stopping the sixers from doing.

Using their first round pick point forward to the full extent of his abilities, and then not being capped out when all their good young players sign their first post rookie deals.

I'm not against it in theory, though. They could always stretch him or waive him before year 4 of the contract

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Because their dad made them take multiple 40ft shots per game since middle school and if you are 10 years old in order to generate enough power to get the ball anywhere near the basket from that far out you end up developing really weird mechanics.

This is true and it's why I'm a proponent of lower rims and smaller balls for kids until they get around like 4'8

THIS My PROBABLE picks MOCK DRAFfFFT, based on player profile, team needs, and front office tendencies UNAUTHORIZED :siren: My personal big board puts guys who get the athleticism stats and have wingspan and play defense over milquetoast prototypical guys, and it's that personal rubric that picked all the great late round steals of the last 3 years, I'm going to start selling my big board on mimeograph, like Mel Kuiper in 1984.

1 Celtics Markelle Fultz He's just what people wanted Deangelo Russel to be, which is the prototypical contemporary NBA pg who runs pnr well, finishes at the rim, and can make threes off the dribble

2 Lakers Josh Jackson I do agree with Rick, I think the Lakers are going to throw a curve and not pick the player with low floor, I think Lonzo is better than what I saw before. He seems like he could be Rubio esque, and that's a fun player who could succeed in the right situation, while Josh Jackson just looks like everything a not-great-shooting-but-scoring SF is supposed to be. I like the way he uses his body on the f court. He has an intuitiveness and a passion that are very likable.
3 Sixers Jayson Tatum He's a shooter and a well rounded offensive wing, something they lack, Jonny simmons's shooting and finishing make picking Lonzo too hazardous. The only downside is that he could be just a jack of all trades who never becomes anything special
4 Suns Lonzo Ball They want to run and don't mind 2 pg lineups. Could be fun, could be a less good Rubio esque player, but still fun
5 Kings De'Aron Fox They shouldn't take him, but he's just a haircut away from being a really fun and useful NBA guard
6 Magic Lauri Markannen -it took a long loving time to keep AAron Gordo at 4 for them but he put up really good numbers once it happened. They will pick someone who can shoot, whether it's Markannen or Monk
7 Timberwolves Jonathan Issac -Will make Towns at center a fait accompli and force him to learn defense and find his destiny. Could be a very good player with other good players around to give him some space to get up to speed
8 Knicks Dennis Smith - This is a love :kiss: to EvanTH, the Knicks will have their best pg since old Chauncey Billups, and their best scoring guard since Stephon Marbury. Smith and Porzingis pnrs could be unstoppable. might have to beg him to play defense, we'll see.
9 Mavs Malik Monk - BPA and absolutely could score 20 points per game for them. Franky N is cool and all but they have their stopgap pg in Yogi Ferrel, so they can go bpa
10 Kings OG Anuboby Already drafted PG, have tons of young bigs already, will go for the upside and potential pick, Donovan Mitchell looks like a backup and Anuboby doesn't
11 Hornets Zach Collins Frank is a bust and they seem to like the white big men
12 Pistons Frank Nickatina - A guy who's really uninspiring on the tape against pros and really awesome on the U18. He's sort of a mirror version of Reggie Jackson, pretty decent athlete with freak arms, but he loves to pass instead of looking for his own, plays defense instead of not playing defense. His ceiling is a Dante Exum who can actually run an offense. I should say Jarret Allen because he could develop and maybe push Drummond, but Reggie Jackson's long term health is a question, and Ish Smith is awesome but he's a backup down to his soul. The coach is the GM, he'll pick this man if he's available. I didn't purposefully leave him unpicked to this point

13 Nuggets Jarret Allen their coach is a defense guy at heart and they'll go for someone to pair with Jokic and make up for his lackings, in the real draft if Allen is gone,
I think they could draft OG or Ike Anigbogu because of their defensive potential.
14 Heat Donovan Mitchell - The heat will somehow take this inflated draft value due to wingspan guy who doesn't do anything that well and make him a solid three point shooter and defender somehow

15 Blazers Ike Anigbogu - developmental defense focused center who could be the desperate bucket mover collecting rain from their leaky defensive roof
16 Bulls Justin Jackson - From Bulls fans I've learned that the bulls like unathletic upperclassmen and are stupid
17 Bucks Hamadou Diallo - Seems like the sort of quirky but intriguing prospect the bulls like. Maybe Bam Adebadayo, but with Giannis at 4, I think its less likely, and they really need more scoring from 2/3

18 Pacers Terrance Ferguson -- They want to run and shoot threes. He runs and shoots threes. He is Terrence Ross's doppelganger in basketball style and physical talent. He could develop and learn how to use his incredible jumpiness and agility into basketball skills beyond Terrence Ross's, but he might not even reach T Ross's level.
19 Hawks Harry Giles - GM is now not the coach and they'll roll the dice on pedigree. If not him then someone else from a big school
20 Blazers - Bam Adebadayo - could well be a starter in a couple years or more possibly a solid 3rd big for a long time

21 Thunder - Wesley Iwundu I feel like they always take an under the radar guy with one stand out skill, this fits. I feel like they would take Rodions Kurucs but they'd feel shamed taking euros with their first pick two years in a row and not do it, unconciously.If not him then a non power conference pg
22 Nets Isaiah Hartenstein - His shooting would be a nice compliment, he has the potential to be great, truly great, but it's a gamble
23 Raptors Frank Jackson - A backup guard after they decide not to re-sign Kyle Lowry (Just kidding, real pick, Jaron Blossomgame, length, potential, not good in college)

24 Jazz - TJ Leaf seems like a spursy sort of player, and that's what they wanted in Diaw, a big who facilitates for all their scoring wings and possibly shoots. Otherwise, whichever pg they like
25 Magic - Rodions Kurucs, a second chance at a scoring wing after poor Mario H was murdered
26 Blazers - PJ Dozier a long back up combo guard so that they can attempt lineups with one of their two starting guards on the bench and have a non horrible awful defense, situationally
27 Nets Edmond Sumner - A guard who plays the run and fun style that they want to play, and has a super high ceiling. The exact sort of gamble they need to make. I'm tied between he and Luke Kennard, because Kennard seems like a Shawn Marks Spurs Culture and Shooting guy. They'll make this reach because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. He could be a really good scoring pg, a starter, or he might just be one of several super athletic pgs who can't shoot who enter the NBA and then can't make layups, and just bounce around before leaving for China, a big bust.
28 Lakers Sindarius Thornwell - They need some toughness and fighting spirit, this plus Jackson would give them 2 tough team oriented players to get their high upside prospects in position to succeed, also gives them size. His shooting might be a mirage, if it isn't, he could really do something
29 Spurs Jordan Bell - the spurs will of course get the toolsy, intense, cares about basketball, not a perfect fit or prototypical guy and make him fit. Desperate for rim protection and athleticism in the frontcourt
30 Jazz John Collins - Mocks have him going much higher but, :shrug:, same goes for patton

I think I would push all the euros up about 4 picks but they didn't come to mind as easily as i've watched less of them except for Nickatina and Hartenstein.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 19, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who was the last top-tier prospect with parents as nutty as Lavar?

Eric Lindros' folks had some issues, but they werent half as bad as Lavar. And I think they cut it out for the most part when Lindros was playing. But that was a bit before my time.d d

Lindros's parents were considered bad after the draft thing, because they didn't want him to be forced to play while he was concussed, which was a thing only fairies would consider, because hockey is for tough guys

Lavar Ball is just playing the sports TV yelling stupid poo poo game to get free publicity for his sons and his company, he's playing the Donald Trump game. I honestly think if he believed his sons would be truly great he'd be quieter, he's trying to create a built in excuse if they ever struggle. He's operating, he's doing things, with the end goal being his family making as much money as they can.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

all mocks have okc drafting Rodions Kurucs I don't know if they have given up on guessing what Presti is going to do or if there is merit to it

He looks like NBA prospects against high school competition, which is a good thing. He's long and fluid enough that if he can shoot he should be able to do the little flicks and runners he prefers. He's a scorer baby. Always an if when confronted with NBA length and afleticism, of course

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

He is on a lot of steroids

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah maybe that's a misleading photo but he looks like he's put on a ridiculous amount of weight. That first overall money will buy a nice cycle I guess

And those are the muscles that will respond with major hypertrophy to what seems to be the normal athlete cycle and intense training. Calves take time to grow.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

I don't think there's any way for us to know. Like, is Chip Engelland really a miracle worker, or is Kawhi so smart and dedicated he would have fixed his jumper anywhere? Would he be Kawhi, or would he be something more like a healthier MKG? Would Giannis have blossomed on a team that tried to use him primarily at the 4? Or would Ricky Rubio be the best point guard in the league if he'd ended up in San Antonio? No way to even begin to know the answer

I remember we tried our best to sort out an answer to "who goes from bad three or no three to three," and after combing b-ref it was nearly always someone who shot a good percentage on 2's and scored at an above average starterish rate.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Even so, that's more like a prerequisite than a foundation - most guys who fit the criteria probably still don't develop reliable NBA threes

No doubt, I'm just saying that's lullerararallayyyy the only link we could find. Betting on it is a like putting a dollar in the slot machine, not expertly playing baccarat.

It's hard to know what exactly will happen when a player is confronted with NBA length and athleticism. Are they savvy enough to take the hop, or learn the hop, can they handle the ball well enough to get some space, even if they're a spot up shooter they need the phantom of a handle to stop the defender from an uncontrolled close out.

Are they tall enough, are their arms long enough, do they jump quick enough, is their release fast enough, to get to the starting points of shooting a respectable %?

Then you get into all the mental stuff that we don't have any sort of feel for because we're watching them 3 steps removed.

The guys who stick in the league despite not shooting and not being huge are really good at basketball, but are increasingly difficult to justify playing for real minutes in the most important games. The Cavs all shooting lineup + TT is just not fair.

What is interesting, though, is that it seems to take longer for wings to emerge as real NBA talents than it does bigs (bigs stick out due to height, of course) and longer than guards, I suppose because wings have the ball less and there's a jumble of 6'5-6'9 guys who do various things in various ways in various systems. Older Wing scouting is how you find the buried treasure in the draft. Second is international big men late in the first. Third is combo forwards in the early 2nd. Fourth is sophmore guards in the early lottery but that's barely buried, lightly coated with sand maybe

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 27, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Because he has the knee history, is a terrible defender with no length, and has a very questionable attitude.

At this point like, I'm comfortable with Jackson or Fox. I'm not as worried about their outside shot as other people.

He's already 6'3, and being a pg means that his job on defense is to not die on screens, if you want long arms you can trade for Wade Baldwin or Dante Exum or Reggie Jackson. An ACL is an injury that players in every sport fully recover from, in 2017. The long arms just help bother a shot if you're caught on a screen or you're switching. There isn't really a correlation of wingspan and pg success, mainly it's a skill + athleticism position.

The effort is a fair point, but his team did really suck and he did have to exert a ton of energy on offense.
3 isn't a value slot for him, but I honestly think you could flip a coin to decide who'll be the better pro, Fox or Smith. Fox has to be able to shoot, we've seen it for the last 10 years, if a pg isn't the best passer in the world (Richard Rubio) he has to be able to shoot threes, preferably off the dribble, and finish at the rim to lead an elite offense.

If I was the 76ers GM I would be afraid of Fox and Jackson, if I couldn't safely trade down for smith, I would just default to Jackson and be werrrry conservative, because I wouldn't want to draft Fox and risk building the 2015 Orlando magic with a bit more playmaking. If the Lakers take Jackson I think the 76ers should try to trade to 5 or so

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 27, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

I would like a word filter to replace "🚮" with a trashcan emoji

I've been thinking about Fultz, there's a certain heaviness that you don't expect from point guards, he's really big, he's James Harden sized, and he doesn't have turbo speed, but he's so crafty that he can walk by defenses. He makes every contested shot with his weirdo arms. He reminds of Klay Thompson with his instant releease. I'm trying to think of a better comparison than James Harden, he seems big and bulky when he get into a defense but manages to wade through them, spin around them, and put in a little layup.
He probably would have been considered a shooting guard, in the past. I think he could easily play off the ball next to Thomas, but I don't know if he would like it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I thought of it, Fultz is almost Boris Diaw when he gets into the teeth of a defense, he sort of waltzes or wades through 4 guys and gets to the rim, without fail. If he doesn't flip a shot in then he bangs a pass between some defender's legs for an easy dunk. There are things I see NBA defenses exploiting, but if he's on the celtics, forget it, it will be like Kawhi and people will forget about him for a season and then say 'holy poo poo how did he get so good,' because they'll cover up for his weaknesses and boost his strengths.

Also he's about the same size as Mudiay but thicker and without the John Wall turbo boost, with the ability to make layups.

EvanTH posted:

Unless it's indicative of Derrick Rose-esque joint-punishing biomechanics that are a serious issue
That's a good point and he does take a lot of off angle jumps toward the rim that put shear strain on those tendons and ligaments, a decent NBA strength and conditioning program should be able to teach him to move properly, though

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 27, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Og is #10 in that Ringer draft primer too. Either of those to are probably our guys at #10....or Justin Jackson :(

I kind of thing Terrance Ferguson is a good fit, I feel like Sacramento will have plenty of wing minutes for him to hopefully expand his game, and he's incredibly toolsy.

I like OG but until he develops anything on offense beyond an okay 3p shoot his hard ceiling is an Al Farouq Aminu ish defensive combo forward with even less passing and ball handling. That's not awful for 10, but not great, and it sort of suits what Sacramento needs, it's a querstion.

Justin Jackson is a step below Rodney Hood at everything.

I'm coming around a little bit on John Collins, but just a little. Actually all those later lottery bigs have gleams of potential.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

Im inclined to agree partially. Feels like the opposite of Markannen. Prob Lauri, but if you need D, i think he will be a great pick. (Portland)

He's a loving fumble fingers and a foul machine. It's going to take ages for him to move from backup energy big to anything else, if he ever does. He's a Biyombo esque dude, it took Bismack 7 years to learn how to catch a ball and then he forgot how after one season. At least Ike can catch Alley oops and has big hands. That's his only offensive skill.

All of the bigs after Markannen are huge question marks, except Isaiah Hartenstein who's going to be a superstar. I'm warming up to John Collins even he doesn't have a 7'5 wingspan, he's an offensive pf who will help a team score a lot, maybe on the bench and maybe not. He seems like a pretty solidly formed player. You'd hope for him to develop on defense, but put him on your bench and they'll probably score more points.

The more condensed games I watch the less I feel certain about any of them. I still need to watch the combine measurement tools rising guys to see if they have what it takes

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Pelicans would love to have Jordan Clarkson instead of Samdarion Inkpot from the Maine Red Claws or Carlos Bomp from the Canton Charge

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He's not 6'10", he's like 6'7".

He'll be able to rebound but I don't think his offense holds up and he's going to be an absolute disaster on defense

I think youre right. What I see is a short power forward who moves in slow motion, whose game is Michael Jordan post ups and fadeaways, a few hooks, and who knows if he'll be able to get his shots off over 6'10 guys who are more agile and can jump much higher. A lot of his rebounds were Russell Westbrook/Lance Stephenson free rebounds that his teammates could have caught instead. Drafting him would be gambling that his game would work against NBA length and agility and that you'd have a roster where a 4 who was awful on defense isn't too much of a problem.

Zach Collins is going to be drafted in the top 10 because he hit a total of 10 out of a sample of 21 total threes in one year. There's no mystery about Swanigan and so he'll go where he'll go

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 3, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The players with the biggest hands in the draft, Harry Giles and Moritz Wagner, are both half an inch narrower than Kawhi Leonard. Giles is 6'10 in shoes, Wagner is 6'11.25, Kawhi is 6'7.

Giannis's hands are 12 inches x 12 inches apparently, at 6'10-6'11

Jordan's hands were 11.375 at 6'5

However, hand size isn't everything, as Noah Vonleh's are 11.75 inches wide and he's awful

Lebron's hands are a pedestrian 9.5 inches

You don't have to be a disgusting genetic freakazoid to work here... BUT IT HELPS :q:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm warming on Donovan Mitchell, he uses his freak arms to get space for his shot, and the mechanics are nice. I think he'll make threes in the NBA. He should be at least really good bench player who comes in, defends like a fiend and makes spot ups, and finishes well at the rim by floating the ball over his head as he snakes through the defense.

I've watched more Jawun Evans and he seems like a really solid all around player, a dependable backup pg who'll score, pass, and play hard on defense. But he has tiny tiny hands, so there's bust potential.

I think Isaac will be really good, I like the way he moves, I like his jumper. And anyone who can make shots despite tall hair must be talented. But he's another hand size red flag player.

Monk is going to be a terror, like a sg Russell Westbrook if he was really skinny and just a super athlete and not a mega hyper athlete, with a better jumper. He's a little demon. Defense could be a problem, but with so many teams playing combo guards at 2, at least he won't always be at a huge matchup disadvantage.

paternity suitor posted:

I hope this talk of the Kings trading the 5 and 10 for the Sixers 3 so they can get Fox is true.

Kings got a commitment from Fox to shave his head and computer simulations have projected his shooting percentage to improve by 20 percentage points. I'm a broken Record, but Fox is a special player if he gets a haircut, he deserves to be taken over Lonzo Ball if he has a bald head

Jaron Blossomgame could have snuck into the late lottery if he kept his hair short and didn't end up shooting 25% from three as a senior. He seems like he should be a really good player, but I watch him and he just looks not-good.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 7, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Evans is really good but he gets bothered by length at a worrisome degree

Related to the small hands red flag: little mittens, easier to poke

kiimo posted:

My opinion on Monk depends greatly on which wingspan measurement is bullshit. I feel like this is worrisome and the growing trend of misinformation on actual measurements is as well.

His official NBA combine wingspan is 6' 6.5''
So unless he's dislocating his shoulders I think his arms are about 3.5 inches longer than his body

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 8, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Frank is like the prototypical triangle PG right?

If by prototypical triangle PG you mean "role player with size who doesn't really orchestrate the offense and spots up for threes" nah, he has real pg skills, and his three point shooting right now is only projected based on his U18 and camp stuff, and a little more than 1.5 attempts per game as a pro. It's not a sure thing, when confronted with NBA length etc.

He's not very athletic, you'd hope he'd be Mudiay in China esque slaloming around Bundesliga players, but he's not. He uses his length more than quickness or hops, he does have some nice crafty little bursts of agility. He's really long and does play like a pure point.

I think Dallas is ideal for him, because Rick Carlisle knows how to get the most out of pgs, Dirk is integral to that, but I think Dirk will be around for 2 more years, long enough to help Ntilikina adjust. He's built like a 6'5 Dennis Schröder, but plays almost exactly the opposite. He looks to pass first, not score, he may be a good 3p shooter, not a bad one, and he plays hard on defense, he isnt just a long armed body assigned "defensive potential" because of the body. He knows how to change speeds, he's not on turbo all the time, well he's never really on turbo, but in watching him you get a sense that he has a feel for the game.
If there's star potential, I'm missing it, but if he shoots well and has space to finish drives, he could be a decent NBA starter.

So to answer your question, in some ways he's a triangle pg, but his talent as a creator would be wasted if he was in a Derek Fisher role.

He's not Dante Exum, to further answer your question.

There's a little chance he retires with a better career than both Ball and Fox, because of their low floors. He's much better than Wade Baldwin IV the double policeman, who has a similar body, and was picked around where Frankie will be picked this year.

I think length and size in pgs is tremendously overrated. It might make a fringe guy into a solid role player or a role player into a starter, but it's not 1988 with Magic passing over peoples heads to post ups, if you don't have real skills your length isn't going to make you an NBA player. Wade went about 8 spots too high last year because of his arms. Frank has actually performed as a pg,although in limited minutes as a pro, to justify a lottery pick.

I have very mixed feelings about him. I wouldn't say he has a high floor, there's too much uncertainty about him coping with NBA players, but he looks solid. Plus, if you look at the median NBA pgs, he seems to slot in perfectly. But I can't be sure!! It's possible that every single pg in this draft just becomes a role player and it's possible that all but the second rounders -1 or -2 start for a few years at least. There's so much uncertainty around everyone but Dennis Smith, or Tennis Miff, as I call him.

This is my certaintude index
Fultz- Combo guard multiple all star signature shoe because he's a scoring guard and people like that guy
Smith- Absolute bucket getter and offense creator, maybe awful defender maybe not
Ntilikina- Solid pnr guard and defender, or maybe a role player who can't cope with front line NBA length/athleticism
Ball -middle class man's Ronnie Brewer or a less cunning and athletic and skilled Jason Kidd
Frank Mason is a 3rd pg in training
Fox could be a super dynamic player or he could be hosed into poo poo because his hair prevents him from having a jumper
All the other long combo guards - Dice roll
Evans could be a really good player off the bench or he could be nothing
All the other 2nd round guards - Maybe after some time overseas or in the d-league,
monte morris and williams goss, they don't seem like NBA players

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 11, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I think Monte Morris could be an NBA player if he ends up on a team with a lot of scorers on it, he is such a good passer that I could see him being a beloved reserve on like, the Warriors or Cavs when they have enough offense that his outright refusal to look for his own offense won't be that bad.

You have a soft spot in your heart for really smart pass first pgs who are not athletic in the way I have a soft spot for undersized defensive minded wings with long arms and tons of athleticism.

You make a valid point, he is the sort of player coaches love to have around, someone who won't make mistakes and who'll just execute the offense. If some coach takes a shine to him he could haunt the NBA for years as a 3rd pg.

In watching more Edmond Sumner, I think I see his injury-proneness as result of poor movement patterns. He's continued to improve at everything in college. His midrange jumper is nice, he's become a better pure point, with a more solid handle too.

There are a lot of high ceiling/ low floor guys from 10-20. In 3 years everyone is going to say "oh the team/team/team/team were so stupid not to take Anigbogu/Anuboby/Mitchell/whoever"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

I wish I knew whether he was mocking Kennard to Charlotte because of intel or just because he's rising/he's the "Hornets" pick in the draft.

The college people loving love Kennard and NBA people are lukewarm, which is usually a bad sign. My vision of Luke Kennard is a smaller Joe Ingles with better passing and much better ball handling. The size might hurt his ability to make shots, his handle is good and he can score from all three levels against college players, I don't think he'll be Steve the Sleeved out of the NBA. He's going to have to learn to play JJ Red-dick defense. There is a very strong possibility that he will be an NBA role player for a decent length of time. I think that even if he's an offense only bench player he'll probably be good enough to stick around.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

If he'd been able to come out of high school he'd have been a contender for the top pick in the draft. There's not much more to it than that. It's a swing for the fences and hope that he can get healthy and give you a star talent at a spot in the draft where you don't typically get those

He was called Kevin Garnett I r Chris Webber before his injuries. It's a gamble that he's not Greg oden or Jonathan bender or something such

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Was Dunn really that good of a prospect last year or was it the case of being the only girl at the bar

Yes and no. There were flashes but he was hurt for the first 2 or 3? Years in college so one really good season on a mid major was what it took, and those like 8th pick sophmore/junior mid major guards had been doing well. It was a terrible pg draft, they're all in this draft, as you see. But I wouldn't give up on him yet, rookie pgs are never good, I think we combed through b ref and it's nearly impossible for a rookie pg to be anything but terrible. It doesn't help that they don't have great 3p shooting or a pure rolling man, and Dunn was a pnr guard. He wasn't projected to be an amazing player, just an okay starter.

There was Gilles Bensimmons as the top offense creator/passer, then Dunn, then Baldwin IV the king copper, who sucked in college and sucks. In between you have Jamal Murray who no one really knew could be such a high level combo guard, because Kentucky is Kentucky. Then you don't have a pg until Dejounte Murray to the Spurs at the very end of the first round.
Malcom Brogdon was picked in the second and he had by far the best rookie season of anyone who played pg minutes, although he is 24 years young.

Dunn looked really good in summer league, which means that he's at least an NBA player of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

https://waynehall.github.io/nbadraft/fultz.html

Super early version of an idea I had for a draft site. Primary focus would be on visualizing prospects versus everyone else in the same position in their draft class. Cool or no? (all the stuff in there is fake right now, probably doesn't look good on mobile or small screens cause I haven't thought about that yet).

It's cool

• Locked thread