Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The 2016-2017 college season is about to start so you're going to need to know who to watch. I've googled up from relevant information about the big prospects, hopefully other people can help fill in the details:

Joshua Jackson, SG/SF at Duke, age 38, married to Diane Kruger, starred in TV's Fringe

Dennis Smith, PG at NC State, retired NY firefighter and author, according to IMDB directed several episodes of TV's Fringe

Markelle Fultz, PG/SG at Washington, claims he wants to be the best player of all time which is unusual, no known connection to TV's Fringe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpY8ETEbsI0&t=3s

Lonzo Ball, PG at UCLA, every guard from UCLA is great, extremely high-level name tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud9nuf5Gm-Y&t=102s

Harry Giles, PF at Duke, I think he's a Prince or in a boy band or something, I think he's been getting injured a lot I dunno I thought he was listed #1 a few years ago. May have guest starred on an episode of TV's Fringe

De'Aaron Fox, PG at Kentucky, superior name tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK-Kl96dtl8

Please discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Oops the Tokoto Draft was two years ago

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Potential Lottery Picks whose names have not been mentioned yet:
Jonathan Isaac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bcil8pbck
OG Anunoby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBxW3nTJ0E

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hit that wide wide wide open corner three man or hit the bench, Shalhoub >:[

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

The Knicks need to draft Markkanen and a lovely & gritty eastern European in the second so that there are more members of bench windsprint crew

way we've been playing last 10 games we've got a good shot at the number one pick

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
So is Lauri Markannen the only big in the lottery right now?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

EvanTH posted:

Potential Lottery Picks whose names have not been mentioned yet:

OG Anunoby

Good News
https://streamable.com/srjt8

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

btw in case everyone isn't clicking on this it's a massive knee-in-the-chest dunk

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MCW plays like many other dumb idiots who went to Syracuse (Carmelo Anthony, Dion Waiters, some others who aren't good enough to show off how bad they are) his problem isn't just his shot

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

Not that they're comparable, but imagine the handwringing about Lebron's jumper if he were 18 today.

I mean, yeah, it's not comparable because if LeBron weren't LeBron in all other aspects his (below average) shooting would be a serious knock.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

His shooting was not "below average" back then, it was straight up bad. It would be non stop hot takes about how he has no position, can't stretch the floor, etc. He'd still go 1st overall, Simmons did, but on the obverse of that no one would have even given a poo poo about Simmons's terrible shooting 20 years ago.

I'm sayin' that scouting was largely correct, to this day, despite his years of insanity training and recovery with breathing tubes suspended inside a plexiglass tube filled with a mysterious green fluid he's still a below average shooter and it only doesn't matter because of God-like ability at everything else

This sport might be unwatchable if LeBron was a good shooter

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Charlz Guybon posted:

A quick look at basketball reference shows LeBron has a career 50% shooting percentage, and from to 2009-present it's well over 50%. That doesn't sound below average to me.

Straight FG% isn't a good metric of someone's shooting ability because it doesn't account for shot selection. The highest FG% in the league is typically held by a center like Deandre Jordan who doesn't take shots from more than a few feet out.

League average 3p shooting has hovered around .350-.360 over the last 15 years or so. LeBron shot ~.330 from three over his first 8 years the league, but he's improved to .367 over his last five years. LeBron is perpetually a few points below league average in FT% and his playoffs 3p% sinks to ~.320.

He's one of the greatest finishers in league history around the rim (personal opinion, don't have stats to back it up. Jordan was better), and one of the best at putting the ball in the hoop (TS% this season is .617, Curry's is .619) but shooting is not one of his strengths, and in the past has been about his only weakness (aside from deliberately overheated arenas).

I think Kevin Durant is better at putting the ball in the hoop than any other player I have ever seen, better than Jordan or LeBron, but he can't pass like LeBron or defend like either of them.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Josh Jackson also doesn't throw his body after loose balls like he's been kicked out of a speeding car, so he should stay healthier than MKG

only one way to go after loose balls if you want to be great

i'm the camera guy filming the floor cause I'm flinching away in terror

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think they have a disappointing playoff run because of LeBron James, but I don't think IT's defense is going to be much more of a problem than during the regular season. It's so, so, so bad but I always say his defense is slightly less than half as bad as his offense is amazing and he's used to angry dudes trying to body him.

If I were a betting man I'd say IT's playoffs are gonna look way more like J.J. Barea 2011 than Steph Curry 2016. But I'm not because gambling is a sin that rots the soul from its core and also I don't have enough money to gamble.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

Undefeated while starting in the Finals 2011 JJ Barea? Imagine if Curry was undefeated as a Finals starter.

Exactly. 2011 Barea was all-time great small dude play. 2016 Curry was nonstop excuses and fans eventually pretending he was injured to explain it away.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
This article makes Lavar Ball look like a straight sociopath:
http://www.armchairallamericans.com/member-ball-family-lavar-has-not-allowed-children-to-see-sick-mother/
I hope his family doesn't wind up affiliated with the Knicks

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cisneros posted:

How often is the best player in college a big contributor? I don't watch college basketball often, but the 2 years I did happened to be the Emeka Okafor and Sean May years so I'm really biased.

"Best Player" in the last 20 years or whatever almost always becomes a functional NBA piece. If they're a freshman they might get to be an all-star but if they're an upperclassman probably not. In the deep past it was different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Player_of_the_Year#Men
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Basketball_Tournament_Most_Outstanding_Player#NCAA_Men.27s_Division_I_MOP_Award

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

it's unverified internet rumor that seems mighty true to a large section of active online haters. I'm not entirely sure what #fakenews is, although I would guess it's a floating signifier having something to do with the speaker's negative opinion on the state of mass media and the discourse in general? Anyhow somebody asked the kid about his mom after a game and he said "no comment" rather than "what the heck are you talking about" so just like when people plead the fifth this 100% implies that the Balls have done the crimes but they will go to their grave to protect their best friend from discovering the raw truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89i6KhgaDeA

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jota posted:

Completing ignoring his hosed up shot, I don't want the Sixers to draft Ball almost entirely because he's ugly as gently caress and I find looking at his hosed up Frankenstein face and gangly body unpleasant and would not like to have to do it 82 times a year.

Also he wears a t-shirt under his jersey so gently caress him.

that's backwards to me. Way back years ago I reversed my evaluation of Cody Zeller from trash to very promising once I finally seen a picture of him in profile and realized that he was, in fact, not just ugly but hugely ugly in a kinda Marv-from-Sin-City lookin' goon-type monster-person children must run and hide and people are too embarrassed to ask what happened type of way.

When you see a dude like Walking Crest-Advertisement Michael Jordan or Banana Republic Model Kevin Love come into the league you're like hmm maybe this guy is just coasting on his looks, but when you've got something seriously hosed up like Zeller or AD* you know there must be some real serious talent going on

There are important roles for ugly dudes in the modern NBA.

*although I guess AD's got braces not sure what Zeller could do about his whole thing

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

When was the last time a potential top 10 pick big man stayed in college and raised his draft stock?

I don't understand. Someone who was already a top 10 becoming a top 5 with an extra year or so? Or someone climbing up to top 10?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

Yeah it's a solid comp, Iguodala and Jackson. I feel like Jackson is more athletic but that might be recency bias.

Iggy used to be like Mini-LeBron out there, one of the most athletic dudes on the planet, but he's not anymore as of a few years now. Is that what you mean recency? Or you mean Jackson is sticking out because you viewed him recent?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltE0I1VpGKU&t=29s

Lockback posted:

Young Iggy was absolutely able to get up. He was strong too.

(start 39 seconds in, stupid SA won't let me start at a time period.

His game has adjusted as he's gotten older, but he was well above average athletically.

It should automatically do it if you C&P in the deep link, but you can edit it in with start="29" in the video tag (I put it in up top for example so it doesn't disappear in a quote)

Either way yahhhh that video's got exactly what I meant by Mini-LeBron, he doesn't seem to float in the air like some dudes so much as he power-streaks through it. Man I love his reach on them dunks. Also similar shooting issues.

Rick posted:

Sticking out because viewing recently.

ahh, gotcha.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

The Knicks have eight teams hovering around them. Nine games left with four of them against teams fighting for the playoffs and two of them fighting for playoff seeding.

Give me Josh Jackson.

they're going to win out just to gently caress with us

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Jesus christ

I think it's a symptom of using BBReference a ton. "Ascending" becomes an extra box you can click meaning "reverse order"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does anyone have an opinion of Zach Collins?

I seen him in those games like everyone else and I thought he looked good enough to get a shot at the NBA.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

This also happens with Utah every year. I think Chad Ford has projected them to take a white guy in like 15 consecutive drafts. Currently he has them taking Moritz Wagner AND Luke Kennard

"has projected" as in he had them projected for Utah or he now has his website saying he projected them for Utah

lol it's still crazy to me that he'd undermine his credibility like that. Aren't his rankings supposed to be based on feedback he's getting from the teams about their preferred players, not even his overall evaluations of the players themselves?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
You guys think Isaac might fall to the Knicks?

I'd really like a good PG but Isaac has that spider-body infinite ceiling

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
What if I told you Kevin McHale had an 8 foot wingspan

edit:

(featuring Klay's Dad)

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 11, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
looks like Frenchman Jonathan Jeanne has some quality name tools and the class's best standing reach at 9'5.5", which is still like 4 inches short of Rudy Gobert's standing reach. Anyone have any film on him?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Isaac isn't a 3, he's not agile enough, he's just a very skinny 4 who should be able to switch pretty easily on defense. His lack of in between game is a DOOMSAYER, he really needs to learn it to avoid becoming an Ibaka. He's being projected as a rich man's Jon Leueur but it's hard to say, his guards never passed to him at florida state.

i dunno if I'd use DOOMSAYER like that because part of the thing about being a streetcorner apocalypsist is that your predictions never manifest?

although it is one of the funniest songs I've ever heard, one of my favorites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccR6hAthfmI

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 11, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
yeah I mean if you find they're a superstar and you can't use them you can just let them walk and get absolutely in return for your trade

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Isaac to the Knicks would be very cool

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

They'd have to either jump the Wolves or hope the Wolves move up for that to happen, I think.

Or go back in time and not win on the last day of the season :v:

I've seen Isaac projected around 5-8

Losing that final game would've put us in the lottery I loving hate Mo N'Dour forever

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Isaac is from the Bronx why can't we have him :[

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

They said the same poo poo last year but Jaylen Brown just made highlight plays to help the Celtics get to the ECF as a rookie so

This thread was one of the first to acknowledge Jaylen Brown: useful rookie, despite its own internal rookies are bad law that might seem to abnegate the concept

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

roundmidnight posted:

if he can remake his shot

I feel like this is something that gets said about maybe a third of all candidates and then maybe one in every two hundred NBA players ever does it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I probably should've added earlier, as much as I like Jaylen Brown and was impressed by the speed with which he was adjusting to the pace and complexity of the NBA game, he still is actually technically overall a minus player

Don't anyone worry there's no paradox the rule holds true and his BPM is steady -4 for both the regular and post-season.

He looks good, but everything he's showing this post-season should be considered promising still, because he isn't nearly as good as he's going to be. Haha can you imagine a 20 year old kid guarded by LeBron in the playoffs? We'll get to see it in a few days

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean there are rookies who are good and contribute right away, and you'll even have super efficient dudes come out of the gate (Faried comes to mind) but generally speaking most rookies are going to be inefficient as they adjust to the pace of the NBA, and they are invariably bad defenders outside of blocks or steals

Part of what I really liked about the Washington series was slow-motion Avery Bradley replay. The dude is constantly grabbing and grabbing, pulling an off-hand wrist when the opponent is dribbling so they can't switch their dribble, pulling on jerseys and shorts whenever a dude tries to use a screen off-ball. He's so quick and he's so good at shielding it from the refs. Some combination of a cruel older sibling who repeatedly violates the my side v. your side car-riding territorial agreements and a street magician who keeps some of the watches at the end of the trick and a terrier mauling a rat. He does dozens of small things that don't come near the box score.

I think a lot of that uncharted small stuff (aka Dirty Vet Tricks) accounts for a lot of the adjustment period. You run into people who are completely familiar with how the refs call the rules, where the boundaries are, and what they can get away with.

Now that I think of it, a lot of European players come in needing to adjust to the speed of the game but perfectly up-to-date if not well-beyond in the dirty tricks department.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
uh boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004