Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'd like you all to know that America can't be racist because we have a black friend president. Identity politics are a distraction from the real goal of implementing policy that will help everyone, like white men, and I am a real leftist, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

the only moral identity politics are white identity politics

internet atheists should be liberal allies, but some women complained that they were being creeps in an elevator once, so they're all right-wingnow. we're all victims of the circular firing squad of the left really

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I am eating fig newtons and drinking tea

What is the opinion of fig newtons around here

they're okay op

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

it's weird when both mainstream Serious Publications and anime marxists agree that the main problem with democrats is that they're too mean to white people

I wonder if we could explain that. A system that means that society, writ large, is particularly in tune with the desires and feelings of white people. That "privileges" their viewpoints and histories and opinions over that of other groups.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Rodatose posted:

snl should have been canceled long ago

this is like, the eternal truth of Saturday Night Live, a koan that's been repeated since nearly the second season. you may well ask why the wind howls

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

they have to let their identity politics go, imo

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Avshalom posted:

omg i went out to feed the chooks and found the guinea fowl all engaged in a tense but peaceful stand-off with an echidna

Avshalom posted:

and then the echidna followed me fearlessly back to the house, climbed the stairs with remarkable grace and skill considering it's basically a pointy amoeba, waddled around the side of the verandah and disappeared

:3:

See, this is everything I imagined Australia to be when I was small. Less of the horrific detention camps and stealing native children and dying reefs more wonderful, bumbling, wildlife

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Everything I knew about australia as a child I learned from Tazmania.

I grew up on a steady diet of documentaries about the great barrier reef and monotremes. I wanted to be a marine biologist really badly, but instead ended up becoming a teacher? I've come to realize that I'd have been under-funded either way, so whatever. I still need to learn to dive though, for when I'm one day living in a non-landlocked state. I suppose if I wait long enough, the ocean will come to me...

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You can still pursue your dreams of being a marine biologist while being a teacher, I don't know if anyone's told you that before.

Man, I really really don't want to go back into academia though. I'm not about to get started on a phd in my late 20s while research funding, especially climate/ecology adjacent research keeps getting cut. (Not that I'm that great a situation where I am either in this regard!)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

and in academia they teach you to be researchers, not teachers

most people in academia don't get much, if any, training in teaching, and so the vast majority are just winging it

This is absolutely the case, and many times even in education training Pedagogy is an underserved discipline. It's hard to find good research on best practices, and often teachers are asked to basically figure it out as they go, especially your TAs and adjuncts at the University level.

What I'm finding most effective is doing things that are a lot like social work. Teach kids that it's okay to be patient with themselves, to take time to practice and iterate and work, which is really made a lot harder when they're in an environment that's often rightfully seem as confusing, arbitrary, and judgemental. It really pains me to be asked to enforce some of the useless, "no talking in the halls" "discipline for discipline's sake" kinds of things. How do you teach critical thinking when the computer grading your district-assigned quiz thinks -(4/5) (-4/5) and (4/-5) are different responses? (obviously we manually correct that poo poo, but come on! stop undermining us, Google Classroom!)

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2016

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Chelb posted:

y'all might find this hard to believe, but freud's religious ideas were as pants on head nuts as most of his others

go on

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gin and Juche posted:

Hillary and Jillary are in cahoots

IDK. If I were deluded enough to think that there was VOTE RIGGING going on that wasn't of the run-of-the-mill, totally legal, voter suppression I would support something like this if I thought it might keep fascists out of power.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Chelb posted:

i forgot to loving put salt in my loving dinner rolls

gently caress everything

imo do some grounding exercises. run your hands under cold water, name items in the room. we don't want you dissociating, here

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

tbh "sprinkle salt on top" isn't really a great solution. depending on what level of baking you're on, salt does all sorts of things, from controlling yeast growth levels, to crumb size and texture, and then also making it not taste like a bunch of bland starch. A salt wash on them before baking might do some good, as would adding salt during a second kneading, but most dinner rolls rely on being real delicate and minimize gluten formation, so i don't think the latter is in option.

Serve them with salted butter imo

my best wishes for your bread, friend

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Aeryk posted:

Ha ha your rolls are hosed. Luckily you now have a good bread pudding base

i was trying to be conciliatory but basically this :(

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

"many people are saying my threads are great! the low-energy libs of D&D can't appreciate them! sad!"

doesnt this mean that he is going to win, though? or are you continuing on the "he has an authority boner" train

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Bad games maybe

all games are bad, really, anyone who plays is a lotus eater, falsely inuring themselves to the terror of morality by seeing death and resurrection played out symbolically thousands and thousands of times.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Randler posted:

Sounds like somebody needs to :gitgud:

whether you see yourself as thanatos or lazarus the delusion is the same. bodies crumble, but death lacks its sting as the violence repeats itself over and over. rip, never

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

what, so they can post about how it is a good thing because it will "encourage" "cultural integration"

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

my hot take: drinking cognac is good, racism is bad, shared alcohol shopping lists/budgets are good, roommates are unavoidable, as no one itt will ever be able to afford property in a Good City (tm).

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

if you don't wanna be awkward about withdrawing permission or w/e, just buy some cooking brandy, for food, and mention and/or label it as such.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Aeryk posted:

my room mates are all assholes, none of them pay rent, but at least one puts out

:chloe:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

anyway, i found a better hot take: really, armagnac is a more interesting brandy when it comes down to it

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Aeryk posted:

just drink port

no no, we're talking brandy, and other real alcohols here, sweatie :)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

autocorrect, like many of our generation, yearns for death, because the machine of capital has ground out any sense of life, joy, hope, or even proper anger in it. android, like many of us, is not sure whether it wants the weapon as a means of narcissistic self annihilation, or for quixotic, equally narcissistic struggle against the invisible strings controlling our lives

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

hottest take yet: dolly parton doesn't want jolene to take her man, because she wants jolene to take her instead, but internalized homophobia causes her to project her desire onto the faceless male character

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Chelb posted:

big fan of her unabridged audiobook narration of naked lunch, though

i laughed

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

bout goddamned time

Today Last Thursday is the day we all finally stand up and say "No"

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i hope all the poor whites that voted for trump are happy with the social security changes just introduced in the house

those fuckers

mostly i just hope that they connect the consequences to who they vote for

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Can I take a moment to comment on the fact that it seems that the biggest political complaint that forums and twitter dudes of all stripes seem to have is that people are mean to them on the internet?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i don't understand, could maybe the op explain more

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

rip the patriarchy hurts men thread, killed because goons don't want to do housework. i had hopes for it, and i appreciate your efforts, factsareuseless

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

you might as well be walking on the sunni population

so don't delay, act now
supplies are running out
the ceasefire will not last long enough for humanitarian efforts to reach the besieged civilians

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 3, 2017

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no, we would have had at least one keet world leader if that was the case

imo the avs verse sounds like a better place

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Majorian posted:

I, a white dude, am going to barge my way into negrotown and tell those black posters how they're wrong in their thinking about race and economics.

I see no way this could result in a barreling.

but, but what if you just stopped being angry about oppression, maybe it would go away then?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Avshalom posted:

my boss's favourite trick is suddenly demanding an explanation of routine office tasks (like sending emails and filling in archival spreadsheets) and making me slowly go through them while explaining every step in excruciating detail as he watches over my shoulder, which has no appreciable benefit to anyone and slows down my workflow considerably. i don't know why he does this but i'm just going to assume it's a sex thing

I think that quitting was maybe a good decision on your part. e: I didn't dream that right? You'll be leaving that awful place soon?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

got the cat tree up, still need a cat

imo just use it yourself. there's things to scratch, places to hide, a bit to climb on, really all the enrichment a goon needs

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

it has been several pages time since we were talking about about whether this thread was funny and it's been a long time since i posted in it, but i would drat each and every one of you to these forums eternally just to give Avshalom a place to say things

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Volkerball posted:

i ran into my landlord today and he told me that some guy died in one of the apartments in the building, but he was happy that the guy didn't die in the apartment itself. you know, LUCKILY. then he said he had a vacancy and if i knew anyone to let them know.

where you at? i could use housing on a death-superstition discount. unless avoidinf that's why it was "luckily not in the appt itself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where do you live and how's the rent?

see, he's too clever to let us doxx him like this. foiled again

• Locked thread