Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the OP has the most efficient way to get Hole/Sacred Crystals, that's my major roadblock right bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No, save scumming still works, it's just a horrible fight.

Which I haven't beaten yet, despite burning the Lapis to get Cecil and Refia to 100.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Shmtur, your Lightning's Excalibur is killing me against Maxwell here.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rio posted:

How long should I realistically expect before I can play the arena as a new player with characters in the 30s? I don't mind (infrequently) dropping 10 or 20 bux on the game but I am not planning on being a whale - it seems like it will take a very, very long time before I can hope to play in the arena.

You should be grinding those cactaurs while they're around, man, get your dudes up to speed for the arena. If you spend the next week in the XP Vortex, you should be good enough to start going.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Get.

Got the Darkness Resist +15% too, did not time it correctly for a limit Break finish.

I don't think I care, honestly. 10,000 Karma, oh shucks.

Thank you Xyvious!

I kept Omni-Veil, Embolden, and Focus up at all times. I kept Full Break on Maxwell. Restarted the game every two turns. My and Xyvious' Call of Duties chipped away with Barrage (his has Dual Wield) to fill the Summon gauge, theoretically aided by Lightning.

Was able to finish building the gauge mid-turn with the other CoD, so I was able to swipe and activate the Diablos summon before Maxwell's death animation, during the last Barrage.

Maxwell's damage output is survivable if you've got all those buffs and breaks up, you don't NEED two Curajas per turn if you maintain the buffs.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 21, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rio posted:

Do I get cactuars from the xp vortex? I have done that a few times but don't remember getting any.

Well, you have about an hour or two left for the Cactaurs Dunes till next month.

The XP Vortex isn't as good, but it's not terrible. You can maximize your gains by taking in one unit, and using a friend unit who can solo it, like a Kefka or other mage.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ It's all good, no worries here.

Zebia posted:

The fact that Bedile is base 3* is the worst thing about this game. Once the summon changes happen we still can't escape.

Guess who I got today!

I just want Garland...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Got 5 or so slots left for Goons Only: 634,188,308.

Right now friend unit is a maxed Maxwell for the event, is usually a decent Lightning.

Wanted a Garland today; got Bediled.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SquirrelGrip posted:

sacred crystals

what the poo poo, where and how

I burned through a couple (10 or so) of Lapis energy refreshes, and did the INT Awakening dungeon, got enough to awaken Cecil and Refia to 5 stars.

PRO might be better, it's all up to the RNG.

WebDO posted:

I can't clear Maxwell with Mylan or Fenrir, does anyone else have a better unit? This is sad. :negative:

I used Xyvious' CoD, with a Cecil, Agrias, my own CoD, Refia and Lightning. The secret was to keep Embolden and Focus up, Maxwell Full Broken, and turning the game off every other turnmaking sure to guard and keep your HP up every four turns to avoid the party wipe.

The trick is to balance survivability with damage. You kind of need two healers and a breaker.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

Does Maxwell always do that heal and ubernuke attack every 4th turn?

Unless you close the app, resetting the counter, yes.

Mrit SA posted:

Not if the game 'crashes' every 3 turns or so. :ssh:

Yes... "crashes."

As long as you can keep Full Break, Enbolden/Cheer and Focus active, and remember to close the app every other turn so she never wafflestomps youguard every fourth turn while doing so, you have a decent chance at surviving long enough to finish her off.

Mr. Swoon posted:

Finally got Maxwell. I had no trouble killing her, but there is no reasonable way to evoke Diabolos without Rydia or Garnet in your party.

Use Barrage/reset the app if you don't get at least two summon orbs a round.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Gold star Bedile, gently caress this game, etc, etc.

Golden Lani.

On the upside, I will eventually have an Equip Axe to give to Alma or Tillith or Maxwell or CoD.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lucky!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I want a Garland. :(

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Got my second Locke on the half-price.

That's neat, but I really want Garland...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

aaaand another random crash on Arena, costing me another streak
This was literally starting the game up 6 minutes ago.

If its a memory leak thats causing that, jeez how bad is it

What are you even playing on, man?

AegisP posted:

I was just browsing one of the good riddance subreddit threads thanking Gumi for cracking down on the injectors, and people in there were relaying quotes and impressions of the cheater forums (I wasn't even aware they had their own community).

Speaking of the subreddit though, there's an AMA going on with a former Gumi employee. Lot of interesting behind the scenes information on how everything works. Seems like from his description, SQEX has a lot more direct input on Global. FF7 was supposedly to be planned for the end of this year, at least for the JP version, but it might still be up in the air.

Squeenix doesn't want us to have Japan-level rewards?

Looking forward to Squall. I'm gonna whale for Squall.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PopeCrunch posted:

Hello chums I am runnin Edgar / Kain / WoL / Arc / Refia. Over the last few days, I pulled CoD - should I replace Kain with the green fart?

Edgar is only really good if you have two or three and learn how to time his chainsaw move with another powerful attack like Arc's -aga spells or CoD's Call of the Void.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

Glad to see everyone getting some good pulls today. Did an 11-pull and got Alma, Faris, Exdeath, and Cecil, none of which I had. Could really use some advice on making a balanced team that will let me push through content. I feel a little white mage/support-heavy:

Tellah
CoD
Refia
Tilith
Kain
Exdeath
Cecil
Faris
Alma
Kuja
Roselia
edit: And just drew Buttz from my 1/2 price

My other pulls are garbage from what I see on the wiki.

Also 225 985 375 !

Cecil, Refia, CoD, Exdeath, Bartz (which autocorrects to Barry on my phone) will be very, very good. Tellah is good if you want to do more mage stuff, and Faris is a good Full
Breaker, so switch them in if you feel lacking. Faris for Cecil (you won't NEED a tank for a while, but you WILL eventually) and Tellah for CoD or Bartz (both of which are monsters at 6 stars, but not that great until then.)

Got a Butz in the half-price draw today. I knew I was gonna get one. Never had him before, so this is good!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kalas posted:

Bridge elite done, it wasn't too bad but multiple rezzes were used.

Managed to get Gilgamesh in three 11 pulls.

Yay for yet another thing to TM.

I noticed the new Fatty Chobo was in, but the stuff there isn't as important to get vs the Earrings for me.
The shield does look nice, but I don't need the 200 quartz rod-equip materia, and as good as they are 300 quartz for a TM Moogle is nuts.

You get star quartz fairly easily now, though. It's within reach for non-cheatersmacro users.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes. 40 Lapis a day, but the reset time is not the same time as everything else, it's at like, 4pm Central time or something like that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\/\ It does say that the Awakening materials change every day. The Sacred Crystal one was worth it to me; this one is not.

My Zidane is at 98.9 percent thanks to guy Greg's moogle. So close, so very, very close... cannot justify using another moogle on him at this point.

I've missed like three missions but have otherwise cleared the Big Bridge.

Time to get Carbuncle and farm build up Butz I guess.

The Big Bridge has a reward of "tickets"and I know how the singular/plural thing works in English, Gumi...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 25, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can I do the bridge thing if I'm brand new or will that be wasted energy

Go along the extreme left or right of the bridge, there are less encounters. I sleepwalked through the first three stages like that. The last two are a ...little harder.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Today's bundle was still tempting to me simply because of the Gigantuars but in the end no Sacreds tipped it over to a pass.

I was trying to think of a decent unit I have to use Twin Lance and I don't think I have any. I don't have Elza, and I do have Lightning but I either use Barrage or Crushing Blow with her, neither of which Twin Lance helps out with (in fact, it would actively harm them, because of the lower attack power). I guess there's Maxwell but I don't feel like she's worth using anyway.

The twin lance can be used on Cecil or WoL. Give them a little extra oomph.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

oh and the blood sword too i guess maybe

The Blood Sword can keep a Lightning or other character with Refresh alive indefinitely.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

God Arena this week is going to be loving terrible

If a Lightning/Luneth actually does their AOE or any of the Army of Exdeath's cast Meteo its pretty much game.

Only if you've brought mages to a knife fight. CoD, Cecil, Refia and Lightning laugh at your space rocks.

:getin:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a reason there's a shadow on the ground following Elle around in these cutscenes? There is a shadow with no sprite in these things.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, never mind, I figured out the shadow thing it was exactly what I though it was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HGH posted:

Just had the weirdest PVP match ever.

Enemy team is Luneth, CoD, ExDeath, Kefka, and Delita. They get the first turn. I look away only to find one of my Kefkas petrified.
I kill everyone but the dual wielding CoD. Suddenly my own Cecil and CoD are petrified. Turns out this CoD is somehow petrifying me with her physical attacks? Eventually it comes down to the wire, I have one Kefka left with 100 HP. Turn goes to the other team, CoD uses Darkside, killing itself and the rest of my team. I get awarded the victory. Still though, that was absolutely bizarre.

CoD can equip staves. The Golem Staff has a 30% petrify on-hit ability with a physical attack.

FAKE EDIT: soundly beaten.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Orgophlax posted:

As someone that isn't gonna macro, or waste the time to level/awaken 1* friend pulls, so I just go ahead and merge them?

EDIT: And what's the deal with Bedile that he seems to be held in high regard?

1. Yeah, go ahead and merge friend point pulls, Rizer is actually pretty good for his +10% HP skills and you can get some -Killers and Sunbeam skills from the others.

2. You'll see. :smuggo:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, you could do that.

Please don't be a fake Facebook person though. Just keep it profesh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jaclynhyde posted:

Did my daily pull, I'm up to nine Exdeaths. He's like friggin' kudzu.

Haven't drawn even one yet. Lucky.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Great! Now all I have to do is actually draw a Garland instead of multiple Anzelms and Bediles! :v:

Haven't drawn an Exdeath yet on this banner, either.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I got two Anzelms today. That's enough.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PopeCrunch posted:

I forget if it was 2 or 3 that had the thing where the accepted method to powerlevelling your dudes' stamina was to run around until you got into a random battle with something trivial, then spend your time completely ignoring the monster and beating your own dudes mostly to death, only to heal them up and start over, because stats and abilities skilled up from use. All while some poor imp gets increasingly traumatized by the display.
Arc: Okay what you're gonna do is drive your sword straight up Refia's left nostril and just jig it around for a while until she goes limp. Then I'll hit her with this feather I found and she'll be fine.
Imp: GUYS
Luneth: this is gonna be dope
Refia: UHHH
Arc: Then I'll blow you apart with fireballs while Refia takes out her frustrations on you with this stick she found in a box somewhere, and then she'll glue you back together and we can start over.
Imp: GUYS I'M OVER HERE
Refia: Ok I like this plan a little better now
Luneth: When do we get to beat you up?
Arc: Mages don't need stamina, silly.
Imp: THIS IS NOT HOW THIS USUALLY GOES DOWN
Arc, Luneth, Refia: *various noises of horrific destruction*
Imp: I NEED AN ADULT

edit to add: also, casting Toad on some poor rando (probably an imp) over and over again to level it up to the point where you could toad the final boss and trivialize the fight.

It was FF2, but I like the way you think.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That Winged Saint armor looks pretty good. No character limitations, it looks like?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's Snow's trenchcoat, and he's a punchman so it's either knuckles or clothes, I'm hoping it's clothes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

How do you people not value your free time? Just run the ADV xp vortex and spend those other hours doing something else with your life instead of ensuring you burn out as fast as humanly possible.

This, but also remember that you can do okay without the best of the best of the best units and other things your OCD completion may whisper seductively in your ear.

Yes, big number goes up, I know, I know.

:glomp:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PopeCrunch posted:

Wait so hold the gently caress up I literally can't awaken CoD without some bullshit i need candy corn / karma / jars of ape cum / whatever in order to get?

Apparently I can gently caress myself.

It won't be that difficult to get enough jars of ape cum during the grinding events for Awakening materials. It's the things like Trust Moogles that are the real grind.

FAKE EDIT: Yes I know this response is late, I just really wanted to type "ape cum."

PopeCrunch posted:

also is it just me or does seeing rain or lasswell in arena teams basically translate to assured victory

It's not just you.

Basically it's: No Cecil? Get Murked... for the other team.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Lightning had better get a bonus in this event, it'll make having pulled a second one actually worthwhile.

Lightning will show up with Hope and Fang in the second week of this event. Probably. I'm guessing.

LizardBeam posted:

So are TM macros more or less required to be anything but a scrub? And they don't like ban folks for it?

I started a while ago casually, but I have 6* Exdeath, Cecil and Refia now, and waiting on mats for CoD and Gilgamesh (I got really lucky, which is nice, he is my favorite FF character.) I am just feeling a bit cagey about botting.

Absolutely not. You will be somewhere below whales and TM grinders, but you will not be a scrub at all with units like those.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I want an Exdeath or Garland or Lenna.

*sigh* Times are tough.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ INT was the bell harp, ADV was a summon ticket. Pro gets you. 52 ATK spear that attacks twice. ELT Is a Trust Moogle.

Mr. Swoon posted:

Was Brave Frontier's story decent, or even there at all? I never bothered to get past the tutorial.

Further question: Is Brave Frontier's story finished? That might make me want to play it casually.

Different question: I've got a Butz who is closing in on 5 stars so I can't test this out for myself. Does the Golem Staff effect trigger when Butz uses Gale Barrage, which has 5 hits instead of 4? I've got my Dual Wield materia on him, he's gonna be my best Barrager for sure one day soon.

Gale Barrage with Dual Wield and a Golem Staff sounds like a good time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whelp, I guess I'm not getting an Exdeath on his rate-up banner. Oh well, my team is strong, and I got a Butz finally.

And a bunch of Anzelms and Lanis and Shantottos.

Also, yeah, it's super likely that the second week of this event will have the rest of the FF 13 characters, it looks like their weapons are for sale.

Attacker materia is a Hero's Ring for FF13 characters, and Defender is a mini Defenders Bracer as a materia.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 2, 2016

• Locked thread