Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I posted in the last thread that I wished I could watch other teams fight my Kefka/Exdeath equipped with Ultima and Meteor respectively. Like a day after I posted that I ran into the exact same setup on an enemy team, and it was a hilariously unpleasant surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm glad Exdeath finally gets to ascend his throne of being best mage, I've been waiting since release for this. I don't know what I'm gonna do with this meteor materia now though, I guess I can give it to Tellah or second Kefka

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Exdeath has a good limit burst, but it has very little to do with his utility. I wouldn't recommend holding him back just to level it up, since getting him to 6* makes him the best mage in the game at this point

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, it rules when Exdeath's LB goes off on a boss and totally cripples them, but more and more content is resisting those debuffs, and it's hard to count on actually having it when you need it anyway.

Plus at six star he's probably more useful making GBS threads out damage with dualcast anyway

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I forgot the 70K reward was 15% MAG, I thought it was the moogle. Anyway, long story short, after getting Maxwell and ticket pulling Seriah, my team of BCLid/Kefka/Maxwell/Karl/Seria with friend Elzas ran into two 3x metal gods over the last few days and now I have everything I could want from this event. Holy poo poo did it suck when this started, but man was it easy to max out with the event units. Now I can either ignore the event or start stockpiling 6* mats, I'm not sure which I'd rather do

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

aherdofpenguins posted:

Looking at the FF5 units I was kind of excited to maybe get a unit with Full Break, Faris, but she's garbage tier according to the Japanese tier lists. And Bartz is only mediocre. Worth rolling for Gilgamesh and Exdeath still?

Exdeath is a 3* base, so you've got a pretty decent chance at him, I would say yes, especially since he's gonna rule with his 6* abilities. Plus, if you don't have a full breaker at all, even a trash tier one is useful

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Not incredibly lucky, but Exdeath and CoD both just got their 6* forms and they're both top tier characters, so pretty good and definitely OK to go without rerolling

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Healing being banned is ridiculous for the arena, at least I've got enough TMs that my Exdeath/Kefka/Tellah combo can drop 3 meteors and 2 ultimas in a round though. Just need to make it to that round

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I think it got mentioned earlier that Maxwell's passive ability to regenerate 1800 health every round was broken. Well, it's working now, I haven't had a lot of chance to see him at work in the arena, but I imagine it'll be helpful with this week's ban on healing

edit:

rio posted:

Edit2 Sorry for all the questions! I can only use the Adv Experience dungeon - it looks like there is room for another difficulty but how do I unlock it if there is one?
There's not, the only vortex with a pro difficulty right now is the awakening materials one, adv is as good as it gets

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
If there's ever a time to scrape the bottom of your attack list, it's when you're that close to hitting the 100 streak reward

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, Kain is the superior character outside of Edgar's chainsaw gimmick, but you need two or three of them to really use it

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It lasts forever, it does not stack but if a buff overwrites it it comes back after the buff wears off, and I'm pretty sure it can be dispelled, in which case you'd need to drop under 50% to reapply it again

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

m.hache posted:

So seeing as how we are getting nerfs in global (no double hand stacking) are the trials going to be tuned accordingly?

I can't see why they would be, Maxwell came in the same as the one in JP from what I understand, and over there they had more powerful characters to deal with her when their event happened

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Chen Kenichi posted:

Definitely better off getting certain things first like Provoke from Golem, and Man-eater/Demon Killer from Diabolos. Getting even one very powered up character is much better than having 5 good-to-great ones.

Also I should listen to my own advice.

This is probably one of the best pieces of advice for a new player. One really good character can pull you through a tremendous amount of content. Maxing out a CoD or an Exdeath will pretty much let you carry around a party of losers through 90% of the content

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

PopeCrunch posted:

I just had the horrible realization than none of my party (CoD, Kain, WoL, Arc, Regia) can actually use the brand new baraerora spell I just made, and think I need for that loving fight in windmill town.

However, I DO have a four star Exdeath, that CAN equip it. HMMMM.

MohShuvuu posted:

Is your CoD 6*? Omni-Veil works just as well.

Haha, I was about to post that CoD can use green magic then I looked it up, and remembered that she doesn't get any ability slots till 6*, so I'm guessing it's not

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

if i got a vaan i could chill on trying to pull 5* base characters and not feel so bad. my roster is OKAY but i don't have a single actually great unit, like redia/cecil/cod/exdeath is all right but there's no serious firepower in there

edit: like i could farm four excaliburs but why am i even farming two :I

CoD and Exdeath are both pretty serious firepower. Exdeath & pals dumping magic is half of my arena strategy. The other half is cleaning up stragglers with CoD

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

McSpankWich posted:

Goddamnit

\/\/\/ - I don't know... 2 usable characters is better than 1. That's a lot Bediles though :lol:

There's not a single 4* in that picture, so I'm pretty sure that dates it to before Kain had his 5*, so 1 sort of usable character

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Vax posted:

Just discovered this Exceed Ring stuff. Totally ridicolous.

Exceed Ring, +30% HP/MP and +50% ATK/MAG/DEF/SPR

"The original threads assumed incorrectly that the monarch/dominion ring material drop rates were 20% like fine alcrysts. The actual rate is closer to 1%." (To craft one ring) "you are looking at 903 Hero Rings (along with 8100 Dark, 8100 Light Megacryst) on average for ONE Exceed Ring."

Okay.

:yikes:

I think my megacryst high score is maybe ~300 water megacrysts when I was botting maranda for mogcakes, lol at 8-9000 of several types

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
WoL should 6* before Vaan does as well, somewhere around mid March going by JP's schedule. Vaan would be around June using the same release order

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It sucks that they're probably doing this bonus unit thing for all the future collection events, but at the very least this one has a 3* base unit on it, so you can just grab a Sazh or two to make the grind bearable. The BF event's units were all 4* and up

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Knocked out like 30 fights with that arena bug. If I had known that was going to happen I wouldn't have worked so hard to hit my hundred streak yesterday. Also:

Nephrite posted:

Good for you, you realize they will either reset all the rewards or ban people like you who are abusing this, right?

:laffo: they're not going to do either, what do they care if a few thousand people got a couple extra mini pots

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Aegis shield is a very good shield, but I can't see needing more than one. You're going to have dual wielders and people using other shields to cover elemental weaknesses

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

dangerous.hotdog posted:

It's a known issue with the latest FFBE client (people are thinking it's a memory issue).

There are macros that can self-recover from app crashes. I use this guy's macros and his TM macro has run continuously for days, even with crashes.

Yeah, since the mission update, i think, this has been happening for me too. The "Ultimate TM" macros both seem to do fine at automatically recovering if you put Exvius in the center spot of your screen and clear everything else off to a corner folder. I tried using Nox before this with an AHK script that would start the game back up if it crashed, but at least for me Nox itself freezes after a while so that didn't really work as a substitute. I think Memu has crashed completely once so far over the last couple weeks

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

m.hache posted:

I can't find the will to even do the daily quests anymore, and it's because I have so many characters to level and no effective way to do it.

Maybe this weekend I'll just mash every cactuar into my ExDeath to 6* him, followed by Bartz, Agrias and then maybe the other 3 ExDeaths I've gotten in the last week.

I haven't stepped into the Arena since the bug last week either. Maybe I'll just finish up my Blood Sword.

I keep holding out for Orlandu so I can make some turbo characters but leveling anything without a special event is just horrible.
Same, except I'm pretty sure it's the one two punch of this aggressively awful banner/event, and the terrible "no black magic" rule in the arena that just burned me out. I don't even bother doing my dailies now because I just don't care about the event and its awful grind. It's a shame, because I spent some money on the black Friday sale packages, and just finished dual wield for my CoD, but this is the absolute nadir of my giving a poo poo about this game. If they'd released this event a couple weeks earlier I could've saved that money haha

It doesn't help that FF13 is probably the one I care least about, as well

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Cry Havoc posted:

take a break from the game / stop reading posts about it for a while

it helped combat burnout for me

Pretty much what I'm doing, I'm just checking once in a while to make sure my TM macro hasn't crashed, but otherwise my computer is the only thing interacting with the game the last few days

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah but why bother rigging the odds when you can just have terrible odds for everyone and people still pay you for it. Similarly, why bother with a completion gacha in countries where they aren't against the law when you can just give the chase characters the same horrible odds as you would've had for pulling all the completion characters

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

KataraniSword posted:

I missed this before but isn't that technically what Trust Mastery was intended as? They only added the "10% chance of .1%" and trust moogles later, as some sort of bullied concession.

I don't know about the grind chance coming later in JP, but it was always in global. Trust moogles might've been the result of complaints. The TMRs probably are closer to skirting completion gacha laws in Japan, considering they ban for macroing from what I've heard, so it's either moogles or duplicates for most of their trust gain

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

rio posted:

So with that extremely low rate for Orrandu is it even worth saving tickets for it or should I blow them trying to get a lightning? I don't have a lightning so unless her rates are also abysmally low then I think I should spend my saved tickets on her...although I'm sure I'll just get Bediled either way.

I don't think the rates for Orlandu are actually anything worse than the usual five star banner rates, they're just god awful generally, because you not only have to pull a five star crystal, you have to roll that character from the entire pool of characters once you have. The banner just makes your chances slightly higher of hitting that character if you do get a 5* is all. So I guess what I'm saying is your luck will be abysmal either way, but Orlandu's the superior character, so

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I blew 7 tickets on the banner to try and get another FF13 character to give the event another shot now that they upped the drop rate. It took all 7 to get a Fang, but at least on the way I got my first ever Chizuru and a fourth Cecil. I don't think I will need 4 Excaliburs, so I ground him up and fed him to my 95.6% main Cecil just to free the spot and put another Ingus in my grinder group. Just a month or two to go till I can run optimized L&A Exdeath oh boy

The event is actually better now, I don't hate it nearly as much as I did when it started. Upped drops, Lightning's bonus, and my CoD having dual wield makes the whole thing a million times less painful than it was when it started

Edit: My other pulls weren't super great, but not terrible either, from memory/sorting my unit list:
Krile
Cyan
Cerius
Chizuru
Cecil
Roselia
Fang

Edit2: I also literally just noticed they changed the daily quests so you only need to do 5 out of the 6 to get the daily lapis reward. Man, I would've still bothered doing dailies if that'd been the case when the event started

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 10, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, I don't think they really did anything to improve the pull rates. People getting good pulls post about it, and for sure if they had improved them (on purpose, at least) they would've mentioned it to get people to spend money

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

HGH posted:

Also as far as Sword TMs go, I'm going for Save the Queen instead of Excalibur because so far I've noticed elemental weapons have screwed us over more than they've really helped us. Is this an accurate observation?
Actually I should probably go for Sakurafubuki, although I've never pulled a Chizuru for Blade Mastery.
Holy doesn't seem to be resisted nearly as much as the regular elements. The main issue with it is that in the arena you'll do 0 damage to Cecil using it, but it'll still rip up everyone around him

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah it's just a random visual effect, there's no difference between it and a crystal that started at whatever color

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

So Noctis's TMR gives the wearer Death, Holy, and some other ability? That seems neat for the arena I guess, unless alterna is some face wrecking damage ability in which case :shrug:

I've never heard of it so I looked it up on a final fantasy wiki and it's apparently:
"Alterna is a Ring Magic exclusive to Final Fantasy XV and is obtainable during Noctis' travels in the capital of Niflheim, Gralea. It casts a spell that expells an entire horde of enemies to the void at the cost of spending all MP."

So I would assume it's something absurd like group death or another Ultima variant like Wicked Light

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Did a couple tickets on the lightning banner for the hell of it. Got brutally trolled by a 5* CoD (I already have a 6*) and a 4* Rydia

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

Until you have five of them you cannot have too many DW and-or dualcast.

Here's the whale that quit: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5isqvb/a_farewell_to_you_ffbe_reddit/?st=iwtf9g21&sh=cc074e2e
And his account: https://imgur.com/gallery/jCgZs
He should have spent the money on seeing a shrink instead

And another posted over there "In the past I had spent probably 5,000 USD pulling trash from Summoners War with a similar outcome you had here today and rage quit in frustration, burning the bridge by selling and dissolving all characters that were highly regarded at the time."

It will never not be funny to me reading a whale's rage quit post. Dude has probably one of the better rosters in the entire game, but he 1) he seemingly didn't learn his lesson from the other times he blew a lot of money on nothing, and 2) didn't get this one character so now he has to throw away the account he's invested thousands into because it's one action figure short of a complete set

edit: and it's not even a time limited character, you'd think he would've pitched a bigger fit over missing draculaswell

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
One or two TMs can make the difference between a unit being pretty good and being facewrecking god-tier. 6* CoD was alright when I got him, after I put dual wield on him he was the only real unit I needed to bring to clear the FFXIII event with a lightning friend. One dualcast turns Refia from great healer to "Unless she gets taken out mid round, your team is never going to die"

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nuebot posted:

It really does seem to be the dual cast/wield ones too. It really sucks if you don't have a zidane or gilgamesh by now and haven't pulled luneth or lightning.

Yeah, if it wasn't a F2P game with obvious power inflation going on, I'd think they had no idea what they were doing when they put the dual wield and dualcast mechanics in, especially in the arena where those abilities let you effectively double your damage cap over characters without them

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius Global - Never Ever Ever Combine Zidanes

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

as for the dualcast refia thing, that's no joke especially considering she's immune to so many status effects due to one of her passives. in fact due to her being immune to petrify that dual wield golem staff bullshit doesn't even matter. im fairly certain a refia/buttz/cecil arena team is actually meaningfully unkillable when you control your team? provided you have access to your spells that is

Not only does it not matter if she gets hit by a golem staff, 90% of the golem staff users in the arena are CoDs, so chances are she'll literally negate the staff entirely once her turn is up and she kills CoD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Reddit is having a meltdown over this banner. Lots of rage quits and autism over the gatcha.

Here's some entertainment if you're bored tonight.
https://m.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5iwvev/the_darker_side_of_the_35_unit_rate_increase/

Maybe there'll be enough of a (whale) community outcry over this to get the guaranteed crystal quality update sooner, but :laffo: Exvius is at #18 in the top grossing play store charts so probably not. It wouldn't surprise me if Gumi delays that particular improvement to whenever they fall below, I don't know, 50 on that particular metric. There's really no incentive for them to improve their awful gacha as long as people are still dumping money into it

• Locked thread