Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Shoenin posted:

So is Noctis the 1st guy they've actually nerfed?

I think so, makes sense considering he got a simultaneous release and JP is pretty far ahead of us in terms of power inflation. It's just a question of whether he stays like this or eventually gets buffed to his JP level. Without any precedent for it, I personally wouldn't bet on it happening since Gumi's likely to lose track of it/not care as they continue to port over the JP updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

ExDeath(and I guess Golbez) specific build

Omnirod (Arc)
Enhancer (trial reward)
Grand Helm (trial reward)
Maxmillian (Vaan)
Genji Glove (Gilgamesh)
Magistral Crest (Vanille)

Letters and Arms x4 (Ingus)

Feel free to correct me if there is a better combination out there I missed. I'll make this into a graphic of some kind for the OP so people know what TMs to keep and shoot for.
I forget exactly how it worked out, but someone on Reddit did the math, and I think peak Exdeath is DW, Omni/Enhancer, 3X L&A. It's only by something like nine points, though, compared to quad L&A

Edit: Actually I just noticed you used omnirod in your build, it's probably different with Genji Glove, so never mind

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 18, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Just daily pulled Noctis :toot: first 5* base I've gotten, gonna be a good while before I can make him great though

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I've only got Noctis to 6* 66, but already I've stripped my poor CoD of his dual wield for the arena. Even when he can barrage again, there's just no comparison between that and Noctis double tossing his blizzard flask and Stopping the entire enemy team.
Oh well buddy, you had a good run, maybe I'll get another Zidane someday and we can use you again :unsmith:

I actually just did some ticket pulls hoping for that, and promptly got Bediled for the first time in a while so lol probably not

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

dangerous.hotdog posted:

If you're not fighting to get into a higher reward bracket, sure. Free lapis is free lapis!

If I had a Noctis, I would make a solo Noctis team just to make everyone really really sad when the AI decides to use a flask.

Having hit solo Noctis teams, I can confirm that I'm very sad every time they roll to go first and destroy me with flasks

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It warms my heart to see someone like Fenrir pull multiple 5*s without spending (much) and then seeing posts by whales raging and quitting when they couldn't get Noctis with $500 of pulls or whatever. I will admit I was less enthused when I hadn't ever pulled a 5* myself, but now that I have :toot: grats

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Got some spots open with a 576 ATK Noctis on Diabolos if anyone needs a decent friend unit for the event: 922033238

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Holiday tickets got me my second Zidane :toot: I have a lot of candidates for that dual wield, at least now I can leave my other locked on Noctis forever

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Mrit SA posted:

Actually, pull on the generic banner. Since the gacha change, Zidane is the most likely to show up that he has ever been, and the more 3* units that show up, the less likely he is to show up.
Unless you could use a Chizuru or Mercedes, pull generic.

I pulled mine off the Noctis banner, because I'm greedy and wanted a second Noctis. That said, I still haven't pulled Mercedes from that banner, cry for me and my terrible luck goons

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
If you can grind out two battles a minute (about the rate I get the TM macro from Reddit), with constant refilling, you're looking at around 3.5 days of grinding to fill a TM from 0 to 100. The exact lapis spend depends on your rank, but it's probably around 8-9000 to do that

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Jesus christ

I honestly would be tempted to but with such a low rank it would be a massive waste. I wish refils gave you a base amount of energy to the people below a certain rank

Yeah, I'm trying to accelerate some grinds right now, but it's only to the tune of around 1500 lapis to finish them, I can't afford a full TM acceleration. I'm only rank 67, kind of wish I had taken advantage of some of the better rank exp events earlier to make this more efficient.

Oh well, it's like some other people mentioned, you can burn your lapis on a bunch of garbo pulls, or you can burn it on going for TMs you know will elevate some of your existing characters to super levels. Once I'm all done here I'll have Maxwell's TM, Blade Mastery, and a Sakurafubuki for my good buddy Noctis

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Hardbody posted:

I'll very soon be farming Ribbons in groups of 4.

That's what I figured, my character inventory is filled with clusters of 5 units that I'll TM grind together "soon". Although, I actually did finally do it with my Almas, Lennas, and Exdeaths. Alma and Lenna fueled my Refia, Exdeath was just to free up space, I have yet to find a use case for holy, and considering Exdeath himself has wicked light, probably won't

This reminds me, does ribbon block Stop? Does anything block Stop?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, dual wield makes Noctis's flasks go off twice. Tough choice between him and Gilgamesh for the DW, but the utility of the flasks would have me choosing Noctis first

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
You can try Nox, but yes you're probably going to need to update your computer someday

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I hope they continue their female pop artist collabs so I can whale out on a full party of Taylor Swifts

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Palleon posted:

Pretty sure they ignore MP when casting.

They do, I've osmosed bosses to zero and it doesn't change anything

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Mods please change the thread title to Ariana Grande presents FFBE: An Ariana Grande Collaboration

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I hope everyone talking about their taste in music for the last two pages pulls nothing but Bediles and Frans during the collaboration event

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
https://twitter.com/wardell_bot/status/816788951230840833

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Dunked on ELT Fina with a two Noctis party, thx only lucky pull I've ever gotten. Also helpful that I looked in advance and knew not to burst her below 50 and 30 at the same time. Ate meteor without trouble and didn't even see Ultima.

Also between my daily pull and some tickets I got Edgar, Maria, and three Elles. I don't even need dark Fina what am I doing

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Getting roughly 2% of a TM per unit from 140 energy is beating the average BTW.

Yeah, the rule of thumb is 1% per 100 energy. With quests and time you generate about 300 energy per day, so you can expect perfect macroing to pay off at 3% TM per day without using lapis. If you are using lapis, you save a day of macroing every 300/[Max energy] refills (in my case it's ~4 refills)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

cosmicprank posted:

Can someone answer this please? I realize it might have come across brash, but I want to know if there is an actual reason for getting the TMs or if you can beat the base game without them, at least.

You can definitely get by without TMs, they exist to supercharge characters, like Refia goes from a good healer to "your team is immortal as long as she's alive" with dualcast. There are plenty of characters who innately have the really good abilities too, like Exdeath isn't very hard to get, and at 6* has zero need for a dualcast TM because he comes with dual black magic. Same for melee characters with built in dual wield, though most (all?) of those are rare like Lightning and Luneth.

Think of TMs as rewards for whales, because outside macroing (which is banned in JP) and trust moogles, the only other way you're reasonably getting them is by having a lot of dupes, which is going to cost you a fortune for any rare character.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's in no small part due to how much better melee is than magic in this game.

I legitimately don't think they thought dual wield through originally, and just rolled with it once they realized the consequences. Attacking twice makes perfect sense, triggering your super powered abilities twice is ridiculous. Just lol if anyone thinks dual wielding Noctis Stopping 75% of the enemy team in one arena round is balanced (never mind that they're all almost certainly dead with an Exdeath chaining Blizzaga in as well)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm working on making the ultimate Noctis, and I feel like I already know the answer to this question, but would he better served with Hero rings (given that his flasks are hybrid) or should I be grinding out Bracers for him?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, I was trying to calculate that out, and I'm pretty sure the answer ends up being just go for ATK and wield a katana and don't worry too much about it. His other attacks hinge entirely on ATK anyway and I can probably make better use of the hero rings somewhere else

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Artemios casually murdering a dragon

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Benthalus posted:

Isn't there some talk about the TM increase chance per battle being necessary for legal reasons in Japan, to avoid violating their gambling laws?

Even if there was, it wouldn't matter for us unless the US (or another large global market) enacted a similar law out of nowhere. At this point we're all assuming Gumi will eventually port the crystal rarity change, but there's really no guarantee they'll even do that. Given that they nerfed/fixed doublehand and we have a nerfed Noctis, there's precedent for splitting the code base, and I honestly don't think they'll even port that change over unless the whales start drying up. The game's been in the top grossing charts this whole time, so it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Finished rush grinding my Sakurafubuki and blade mastery, just two bracers and a black cowl to go. Just opened up 10 spots on my friends list if anyone here isn't on it already

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rigel posted:

Thats not really the game. No one cares about the story. (well thats an exaggeration, its cool and all, but you know what I mean).

I've skipped 9/10 of the story scenes. Once in a while I watch one just to check if it's still dumb and I don't care about it, and yep.

It also bugs the poo poo out of me that I can't skip the scenes in the event dungeon, especially since I have to run one every day for the quest

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Plus, besides being more challenging, the events are (usually) where you get to do the FF crossover stuff like fighting Golbez and the four fiends. That poo poo is about a million times more interesting to me than whatever boring garbage Rain and Laswell are going on about in the dialog I can't skip

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Benthalus posted:

Sorry, I think my post was vague. I mean that the current game mechanic, where a unit has a 10% chance per battle to raise their TM rating by 0.1%, is a way for the company to avoid violating Japanese gatcha gambling laws and has been present since the game launched. It allows the full potential of the unit to be attained by anyone playing the game, but encourages whales to spend money to obtain multiple copies of the unit and therefore attain that full potential sooner. Anyhow, that's the theory people have mentioned for the TM systems configuration.
Ohhh, I see what you meant in your original post now. Yeah, 100% the tiny chance to gain per battle is meant to skirt that law. It probably wouldn't even exist otherwise

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread is pissing away their life savings on digital action figures. I could be wrong, but it seems like most of us are either F2P or reasonable levels of paying players.

Of course, there are goons who've spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen so I guess anything is possible

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

cosmicprank posted:

That Gilgamesh Whale is free to play?

I have no idea, but that guy's equipment (I don't know what his ability screen looks like) is all either drops or relatively common TMs. Excalibur comes from Cecil, Sakurafubuki comes from Miyuki, ribbon comes from Kefka, all of those are 3* base characters. The Genji Glove is Gilgamesh's own TM, so it's the rarest of of the lot, but obviously you'd have access to it if you were equipping Gilgamesh

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm glad I have experience playing F2P games because apparently lack of exposure to them makes you a huge weirdo about how other people play games

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Wow, "Dual wield but better" is basically the definition of power creep, I like that they locked it behind the spend money character too, very classy

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I hope when they say big Ariana is a free unit it means they stick her in your roster and don't let you sell her like a story unit. I just want everyone who hates the whole idea to be stuck with her forever

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Man am I glad I pulled a Noctis, he's running riot on this event. Unless Doublicorn shows up literally all of my runs are just lightning flask x 4, fire flask, lightning flask x 2. I actually had to burn lapis on the one Doublicorn I saw, since Noctis was the last survivor at the boss and, for once, fire flask didn't proc paralyze on the boss. Kind of broke even using lapis though since the bonus made it worth around 6 normal runs anyway, but hopefully that doesn't happen again

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The app icon is Ariana Grande and I just half price pulled my third Zidane, what a great day

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Hey, so if Ariana has a TMR, does that mean she'll get added to the pull pool? Usually the unique units (story units, magitek Terra) don't get one.

I just want to have a team of Arianas with Noctis on backup vocals in the arena that's all

Edit: I guess Maxwell is a unique unit too, and she has a TMR. Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I beat the trial and holy poo poo what a slog. CoD/Exdeath/Refia/Noctis/Friend Noctis. Surprise surprise Noctis twins were the MVPs. Being able to jump and restore all their MP at the end of each wave was pretty much the key. I had Exdeath dual cast meteor/osmose towards the end of each wave too, only CoD and Refia really ran out, but I just had to use a couple turbo ethers and elixirs to cover them.

Probably less of a pain in the rear end if you don't care about the 5 man mission. I recommend more physical than magic though, since osmosable MP is going to be at a premium with more than one mage

• Locked thread