Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

Just finished watching the '98 season review and I am so loving angry that Hockenheim got hosed into a DTM circuit. It pisses me off enough that they're loving with the holy ground that is Monza, but Hockenheim was an awesome circuit yet they couldn't help gently caress it up.

A little while ago I played Hockenheim on the PSone F1 '98.
Hell of a track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's weird that Baku is the circuit with the longest straight (if you include the flat-kink).

... well done baku?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Denying Max's raw talent at this point is ludicrous, honestly.
You can say you don't think he has the race-craft to apply it, though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Remember when you were 10 years old, and your best friend / older brother beat you 18 times in a row at tekken?
Remember winning once, then throwing down the controller and lauding the victory, and not playing the brother / friend again?

Nico Rosberg everybody!

Deepfried posted:

Belittling someone else's achievement

I mean, if an actual factual statement made without any embellishment, adjectives or editorial-speak is "belittling" then who really is at fault?
The best burns are always where you speak truth people want to ignore in their own story.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

And Brazilians and Italians and Germans and etc etc etc. It's reductive and I shouldn't have brought it up. But the fact remains that during the Ferrari days, it is well documented Schumi was a driver. The same things were said about Mika Hakkinen - a duff development driver but if you had a halfway decent car he'd work miracles with it.

To my mind, Schumi's success was doing what no team has done since, which is building a dream team around him with Brawn, Todt, Clear et al. Ferrari of today need to pay attention and quit with this loving everybody is Italian bullshit that has seen them be junk since 2008.

Schumi would run like half the wing angle of Irvine (he'd test that poo poo to breaking point) and he was infamous in the number of hours of testing he would put in - where do you read this alt-history?
Not to say he was a one-man team but the guy was absurdly dedicated to his craft.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

lol sky

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think Hamilton is a dickhead (though a very good driver who lost the wdc due to suspiciously high number of failures) but this thread is racist af and I'm just pointing that out.

Can you like, point to one example or just completely shutup?
No, simply not liking Lewis isn't "dog whistle racism" jfc

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

He's eliminated most options except Max Verstappen, is what he's saying.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Nico rosberg has really set a new bar for fraud WDC drivers.

Sports Argument Stadium > F1 Offseason 16/17 Thread: It was worth it for Nico******

Still third behind Hill and Villeneuve.

Also I think Mercedes' dilemma is they don't know how their 2017 car will stack up yet. If it's supremely dominant again they can hire anyone [i.e. new kids] and seal the constructors easily. If they've got competition they need someone competent enough, and there's very few people who do this on paper and will meet Toto's criteria.

Both Red Bull and Ferrari have drivers who will be consistent enough to go row-by-row and score points.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 4, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Correct, he is the third shittiest son of a driver to win the WDC.

Holy poo poo all the frauds are Sons.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Grosjean always puzzles me, I think he lets the pressure get to him too much like Are Rossie used to. His best drives this year was the first few when there was very very low expectations for Haas and then as the season went on he really was on the dull end. I get that the car was poo poo but you shouldn't be finishing behind GUT in the same car under any sort of circumstance.

edit: I don't think its going to happen but I would be genuinely interested in Sainz since I'm pretty sure he is a better overall driver than frogboy

How hard would you push in a car whose brakes failed multiple times?
I don't think he felt secure after the mid season at all.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

poty posted:

I don't remember Max beating or overtaking Lewis at any point, including his very good Brazil drive. Sure, he embarrassed Rosberg and Vettel a bunch of times, but how hard is that?

He was going ~1.5s a lap faster than Lewis at the end of Brazil.
Whilst overtaking.

He for sure lacks consistency but we have so far seen sparks of raw genius. He similarly made everyone look like idiots in the lower formulas on his way up (YT them), which is why he got a super-license at 19.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya this was pretty much my view of that race, it was a damnation of the rest of the field's basic wet weather driving skills. Not to mention the rake of the Red Bull minimized aquaplaning compared to other cars.

So Max isn't very good, he's just better than anyone else.
Hmmm.

Porsche your mental gymnastics are getting worse dude.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Id also say their Nigel is in the newey 1xWDC fraud group
Top 5.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Not really, you can be a lovely racer and very good in low grip conditions. I'm probably the best example of that. Keep digging though :yum:

I remember you posting that karting vid of where you followed the one slow guy for basically the entire thing.
Your love for Rosberg makes sense then I suppose.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's Max.

You're all fools not to see the best thing to ever happen to F1.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I did say "almost"

Edit: isn't he hoverhanding her in that picture?

Yes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Massa kicking Williams when they're down

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

So they'd have one driver with brain damage next year, and then massa too?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

mrfart posted:

that's a bit of an oxymoron.

I'm British and I hate all British drivers.

Except Jensen, who was a man too good for this sport.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I google'd Jessica Michibata, and now I'm drafting my reply to the Mercedes driver-wanted ad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I follow the F1 ex-girlfriend timeline group on facebook.
It's endlessly useful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that that particular sub reddit is 90% "modelling" pictures of Mrs Jenson, Mrs Alonso and Mrs Kimi.

You joke ....

Also Maldonardo's squeeze looks eerily like him.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Maybe it's been photoshopped to brighten the image, but she is in no way photoshopped.

F1 fans are getting blind to kinks added to things that are meant to be straight.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Bottas is one of those drivers that showed up and everyone was like "wow, this guy's pretty quick, he could be good one day" and then he just never got any better.

So a Rosberg in a slower car.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Murray was bad

Ok it's time to rise up and put an end to your terrible opinions.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Trigger warning: Max Verstappen is a good driver - http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/31381/10693681/max-verstappen-sets-new-record-for-overtaking-in-2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That era had the RB car that you could take flat through half the fast corners on the calendar. Definitely not harder to drive.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I doubt many people who watched F1 during his reign will rate him that highly solely because of sour grapes and the extent to which Ferrari favored him as a #1 driver.

I had the opposite experience. I was a die-hard schumacher fan after his first season (or whichever it was when he drove around stuck in gear creating a new racing line on the fly and even loving doing a pit stop) which was extremely hard in the UK when OH MY WORD ITS DAMON HILL was everywhere and Schumacher was literally hitler for his hard racing antics.

If anyone seriously wants to understand Schumi they need to watch his first 3 seasons at Ferrari. There are races where he visibly runs masses less aero than anyone else to try to mitigate the shitbox ferrari performance and his controlled/out of control cornering to make that actually work was mesmerising.
That and the one Hungarian GP where he puts in qualifying pace for 20~ laps in a row to try to get a free pitstop.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Saved to trigger the thread on a whim, thanks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I legit think the warmest thing said about are poois in the worst thread is "not as bad as_____, mostly, but with ___________ caveats".

Also the majority of British people think he's a bellend. The reason the media loves to talk him up is because people that hate him click on "things lewis did on a smartphone this time" even more than fans.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Raikkonen got rammed by Mad Max more

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Reading motorsport.com and it seems obvious Merc are gonna sign Bottas

Lewis is gonna beat him harder than he beat Heikki

There's quite a few rumours Williams are trying to buy back Massa for 2017. That kinda speaks to that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just lock the engineers and drivers in a warehouse for 3 months pre-season and BOOM whatever they come out with is what they race with all season.
Also all cars should have sprinklers on the back to incentivise overtaking.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think he's trying to suggest that it would make the delta between cars smaller than that of driver skill/speed. But yeah, his idea won't achieve that goal.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Real F1 fans move to Europe and watch F1 over Sunday lunch.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ecstatic posted:

The money gets spent regardless, when engine regs were locked RB spent the most on Aero and performed the best, when engines development was open: merc yada yada yada.

Restricting money is hard given the creative accounting most teams can do. I thought restricting resources might be a good way to do it (manhours) but you end up with the creative accounting issue again.

My thoughts? The theoretical budget for your car is $100m (or whatever), you can run whatever development you want throughout the season.

After the first race, the car remains in parc ferme and is transported by the FIA to the next race. You are able to take any parts off your car and change them at the next race / replace the whole car if you want.

Any part taken off the car, goes to the FIA storage shed, the FIA gives it a value (engine~ 10 mill etc). And if a rival team wishes to buy it, they are able to, the net value of all the parts of a car should add up to the budget cap for development.

If you choose to spend bulk cash developing IP for your car to gain an advantage, then your return on investment is cents on the dollar. If you spend only your budget cap and Ferrari buys your entire car, you've just financed your team for the year.

Lawyers could draw up documents that patents could not be infringed upon inside of F1 but if you use it in your road car division then you're open for litigation.

F1 is oft criticised for being too regulation heavy so I'm glad to see this idea solves that.
A rules book per part, you say!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

If only somebody had purchased an avatar preserving the memory of that hair inmemorium and people didn't ruin that by replacing it with a picture of a dried out fetus on steroids.

If only somebody didn't act like someone worthy of that avatar.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I disagree, Rosberg trolled Hamilton and denied him the chance to reclaim his title from him and

You were the friend in the group who won Street Fighter one time then refused any rematches and claimed you were the best, weren't you?

Anyone with any sense can see Rosberg peaced out because he realised one title was all he would get. He wouldn't be "retiring on top" if he thought he was a multi-WDC to be.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Also I want the thread to be ready for next year, so my bold prediction is a lot of

BUTT-rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RIP F1 car design.

Again.

• Locked thread