Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CratSock posted:

Would the comparison even consider level of fitness? I think since it tries to maintain independence from the influence of teams and equipment, it probably isn't relevant in the quoted study. I don't think Fangio could rip around a track for an hour pulling 3 or 4 Gs in the corners in a modern car.

Don't know about that. The guy got his start doing insane endurance races in Argentina and also did the Mille Miglia several times and the Carrera Panamericana. Lets not forget that most (if not all) of his racing would have been without a seatbelt or power steering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Prost's early career was legit ridiculous, it was pretty much like Nando's Ferrari years. '86 was just on another level though, I still can't believe he pulled that off.

Yet he lost the WDC to a crispy old Lauda by half a point. Lauda was a sly old rat. 3 WDCs with 2 manufacturers in 2 different eras and he could have had a 4th if he could've been arsed in '76 or spent less time on fire. Yet a lot of people don't rate him particularly highly as an "all time" great.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

Joe's Award just posted the only thing he's ever done worth reading.

His resignation?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

djssniper posted:

The WDC is always the best driver that year, have some respect, some may win I don't favour, but there it is

If 2012 had never happened I would agree with you.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dudley posted:

2019, after winning the world championship for Red Bull, Max sensationally signs for Ferrari 2 days before the start of the next season, taking #1 with him.

His first press conference for Ferrari, they ask him why he decided to leave Red Bull.

He looks the reporter right in the eye and says.

"They. Made. Me. Fly. Coach."

:laffo:

quote:

"Also, I'm loving Geri".

:barf:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I thought it was just hyperbole but he no poo poo does look way more sinister since he signed for Mercedes. Like I could totally envision him tying a woman to some railroad tracks Snidely Whiplash style now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

julian assflange posted:

I feel bad for Ross Brawn

Why? He's already done his Mercedes and Ferrari stint. By comparison dealing with Americans should be a cakewalk.

Especially if he brings actual cake to any meetings.

TBH I'm cautiously optimistic. Getting Ross on board at least suggests that the Americans have some idea of how to go about maintaining and improving the F1 situation.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brainwrong posted:

If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of reasonably priced online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

FTFY and then :same:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

blunt posted:

What ever happened to the proposed new York/new Jersey street race? Formula E is doing a New York Street race this year so it seems crazy that F1 couldn't pull it off.

Noise (and probably different safety requirements) and money.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

and none of the talent.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

enri posted:

Thank you for digging that you, Wirth1000 puts it so eloquently :) For the lazy:

If that quote is to be believed, the guy makes money reblogging F1 poo poo enough to pay his bills and doesn't have to suck Bernie's cock to do it. Give that man a medal.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

poty posted:

He makes money from the checks Mercedes sends him to spread fake news about our Lewis, like all the other hack "F1 journalists"

Where do I send my resume?

Oh wait: I thought you meant paid by Merc to make Lewis look like a turd. Nevermind.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Serious question, who the gently caress is pairing Alonso at McLaren this year? I literally cannot remember.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bottas or possibly Grosjean for most, probably Alonso for least if he got the full 40 last year, almost certainly because the McHonda wasn't up to the job.

Alternatively; Vandoorne for most because I doubt he got much for his pay last year and still got points. I'm just guessing though because I'm phone posting and can't go and math out average driver wage cost per point scored right now.

Where's our spreadsheet guy?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 14, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I realize that but it would have been an interesting diversion to think about if the 2017 wages were similar to 2016 wages, Mr fun hater. :colbert:

Oh wait. Forgot where I was posting. Carry on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pretty sure it has all races back to 1992. Don't know what else is in there.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Goddamn what a loving bitch boy.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Not even the Martini colours can redeem that car. :suicide:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

They're just straight up trolling now. No way that does anything except divert research time and money away from more useful poo poo at every other team's factory.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

Hamilton is an insanely good driver, one of the best of all time, and he is also a real piece of poo poo that I wish would never speak again.

Dude needs to channel his inner Stig. Turn up, go fast, get out and get back in the trunk of the Merc team bus and go into standby mode until the next race. Never take the helmet off and just skip the media poo poo, and even the podium presentations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

AgentJotun posted:

Calling it now, big comeback year for Seb. He's never been to fond of the hybrids, but atleast with the cornering speeds back up I think he will adapt well. Seb 2013 was basically the best season for a driver ever.

The reason is because Seb doesn't do well in cars with a less than super solid back end. He can't master the torque of the hybrids and had the same problem in 2012 after the blown diffusers got banned/tyres became unpredictable. His performance this year will depend on how well the Ferrari smooths out the torque, treats its tyres and how much downforce they can get in the back.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can think of a reason

I almost miss my infinite Horny Horner AV.

edit: aww motherfucker, that cloudfire error a little while back appears to have killed the e-sarapalin avatar archive. :saddowns:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah they don't sound too bad. Not a huge high end shriek like the V10s or anything but a nice low bellow and decent range of tone.

I don't know, maybe I'm just used to it now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

Bernie would've killed F1.

Nah. He was smart enough not to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. He just choked it with his belt for 30 odd years to squeeze as much gold out as he could.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a 2 episode documentary on the 80's era turbo, largely around the development of the Ford Cosworth turbo engine during the mid eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFy0ezTOLZs

A rather amusing thing to see how up front and negative the commentary is about the thing and the woes of the whole development process. Plus seeing such excitement about new ideas like talking to the American contingent over the computer and their 'super secure' means of keeping any naughty naughty hackers out. :allears:

Cameos from people like Alan Jones (before he got super fat) and Ross Brawn before he looked like Papa pig. A good watch all around.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The one day I walk into the thread, and everyone else is probated. Feels good.

Holy poo poo Mat ate a 100,000 hour probation. What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

Apparently I got my birthday present early.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alternatively no. He's a horrible little frog mouthed twerp who'll probably get a better, more likable driver killed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

Comon, this is a bad driver?

So could Ricciardo but for the coin toss on strategy decision.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Most F1 drivers are immature as hell though, so it is weird to see Lewis singled out. It's hard to not end up a manchild when you never have to work a real job to support yourself and are raised from a young age believing you are a future Formula One World Champion.

Lewis gets singled out not because he's obnoxious (though he is) or because he's the only manchild on the grid (because he's not), he gets singled out because he instagrams his stupid self all the time and dresses like a clown on purpose and because his commentary, even when you strip away the media spin, make him seem incredibly thick. He's Dennis Rodman without any of Dennis' redeeming qualities (not that I'm aware of Dennis Rodman having any redeeming qualities :v:).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Halo14 posted:

On-board with fastest lap. Looks like it's on rails, so quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnFqmRo700

Comparison Video - Makes it look like Mercedes vs....McLaren.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...20a8ab80ea7d18d

Holy poo poo that really is super stable. I mean yeah I doubt Bottas is giving it 10 10ths in that lap, but even during the final chicane its just so calm. Ferrari and Red Bull are going to have to sacrifice some children to half a dozen elder gods to find something to match that.

Theophany posted:

During my time away I reflected and have considered that if Lewis fucks around this year Bottas will beat him. I don't really think he's given enough credit, people say he's boring and has no personality but he's kind of like Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men. Just a relentless, slow-moving force that will get you and pump your skull full of compressed air if you gently caress around Snapchatting pictures of your dogs or Instagramming the poo poo out of whatever you're hawking as part of a sponsorship deal.

Sure he didn't set the world alight at Williams, but he's at Mercedes now and being in the dominant car is like 90% of the battle. If Rosberg can beat Hamilton I don't see why Bottas can't. Hell, Lauda might not be able to help himself and sabotage Hamilton's engines again this year just for more lulz.

Possibly. Its' 50 50 in my mind how Lewis takes it. If he's still crying salty tears into his pillow over losing to Rosberg that might motivate him enough to pay attention to what he's doing this year and if that's true, even if Bottas pulls out all the stops this year because he's in the big boy team now, I reckon he'd lose just due to lack of team familiarity.

If Lewis is dumb and repeats his mistakes from last year and Bottas makes the most of his time there and basically does what Rosberg did and live in the simulator/factory, I wouldn't rule it out.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hey I want it to be true too, if only because if its going to be all Merc all the time again, I'd really like it if Bottas could actually make the title fight at least interesting. That said I actually like Bottas and think he's a very good driver. Better than midfield material at least, and this year we'll get to see if he's a proper pointy end contender.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Consider that there's no chance he's actually doing anything like pushing it to the limits, and quite probably not even running at full engine power. That may explain why it looks so calm, but its still very impressive.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

Can somebody please explain to me what 'bacon briefcase' means? Google's throwing up some weird poo poo.

Predictions about outcomes based on testing are as sensible and useful as a bacon briefcase.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Phwoar, Foxtel has a 24 hour Aussie F1 channel from 20th to 26th. All the classics up until last year.

Does it work with Foxtel Go or just the regular setup?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

I've yet to find another place to chat about F1 which isn't some horrible bleeding heart blind fanboys desperately fantasising about jerking off their favourite driver.

don't pretend you wouldn't. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Dunno, just saw a commercial for it. Will find out details.

Cool. I'm hijacking my parents Go account because they don't need it, so I'm curious if the popup will be available to me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The first guy on track.

F1 drivers are broken.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't get how a large contingent of you guys instantly discount somebody because they aren't a top driver. Yeah he was poo poo but atleast he has a sense of humor about it.

For real.

I mean I'd rather hang out and have a beer with Taki than say, Lance Stroll.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

I also want to point out that sportscar racing has historically been the domain of guys that couldn't quite cut it in F1.

Except in the golden era when it was the domain of guys who also cut it in F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Personally I think easing the fuel flow limit would be a good thing. Don't change the fuel weight allowed though. I think it'd be a neat challenge for the engineers to not only extract maximum efficiency, but also an engine that can putter around on literal fumes and battery power behind the safety car, and then balls out 2000hp for that one killer in or out lap without the engine exploding. For the same reason I'd like to see changes in how much electrical power the energy system is allowed to produce. Let em go hog wild.

It'd also make fuel strategy a little more interesting without having refueling. Does Seb Kimi go balls out of 3 laps and spend a bunch of fuel at 1500hp to build a gap and run the risk of running out, but maybe causing Hamilton to wreck his tyres trying to catch up?

I think that'd be neat. Especially if we could get real time infographics about what percentage of the engine power is being used (that is to say, what engine mode really means beyond setting a-1, d-6 or whatever code each team uses).

• Locked thread