Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

How long until we are #blessed with the Grand Prix of North Korea?

I'm with those of you in the end of the last thread who have run out of drivers to support. I will have Fernando, of course, but I really don't know who else I can get behind. Literally half of the drivers are practically unrecognizable nobodies to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

So much saltiness in the wake of Ross the Boss' retirememt.

Seems like the guy busted his balls all year, didn't like that he never saw his family and wasn't around for his young child, and thought that it would be a great time to call it quits with a win under his belt. I'm sure he knew it would be unlikely that he'd repeat... but I honestly don't think he cared. Honestly.

I think his retirement really seemed to be driven by the lifestyle aspect and not the fear of losing next year. If I could quit my job and spend all day with my kids (and the nanny that my millions of $$ would be paying for when they got out of control) I'd do it in a second.

So now maybe he'll chill for a while, scoop some ice cream, play with the kids... and then jump into a less time consuming role in DTM/Formula E/whatever? Maybe join the retirement dream team of Webber/Button/Alonso?

As far as his seat goes, I'd guess Werleiheinenein would be a likely candidate, but who knows. Bottas would be boring as gently caress, I'd kind of like to see Grossjean, Ricciardo, Sainz, or even Vettel take the spot, for various reasons. Button hopping in and taking one more WDC would be nothing short of spectacular. I can't be the only one to find Perez boring, can I?

Also...

Lewis Hamilton posted:

Roscoe in great spirits. Due to some complications, we had to have him snipped. However, since he's the best looking bulldog I decided to freeze his sperm so that in time to come I could have his pups. He is the best pedigree. Both mum and father were champion show dogs so it's great his gene will live on. #bestdogintheworld

LOL LOL OMG I'm dead.

I'll conclude with a bold suggestion: Kvyat to Merc, where he takes a WDC before Max.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Regardless of how trustworthy they are, a couple of pit lane pundits have alluded to Perez being happy having Telmex bankroll his drive, he gets to live the playboy lifestyle and has relatively few media/sponsorship/ambassadorial responsibilities. In fairness, it does sound like a p sweet deal; turn up to a race weekend, have a chat with Carlos Slim, chuck your state of the art F1 car round the track for a couple of days and then party.

I can't say I'd turn that deal down. He's just one of the drivers that's been around for a long time, but never seems to leave much of an impression. Speaking of them, I legitimately never remember if Hulkenberg is still driving in F1 or not. I just looked, wow, Perez finished 7th and Hulk 10th. It's like they were never on TV or something!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Carth Dookie posted:

I did say "almost"

Edit: isn't he hoverhanding her in that picture?

Yes, as Khablam illustrated above. I guess he didn't want to mess up her... lower back makeup...? Actually now that I think about it, it would be hilarious if she really had a tramp stamp covered up.

MZ posted:

I still think Alonso has a good shot at that Merc seat. To my mind he's the most likely to break contract and has the least to lose by doing so. Even if McLaren have gained some ground next year, it's highly unlikely they will be challenging the Mercedes.

Toto would be a fool to turn him down if he wanted the seat.

Alonso has a giant samurai tattoo on his back, I think he likes working for the only Japanese engine provider just fine. Also, he seems to enjoy ripping around the track in NSX'es and Honda bikes for kicks.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

He would probably enjoy a 3rd WDC a lot more than any of that

Probably true...

wicka posted:

The F1 team is funded primarily by Honda, who love Alonso more than anything in the entire world.

... but so is this.

I know I might be too optimistic here, but I'm not the only one who thinks McLaren could look really good next year. If I'm being totally honest, then no, I don't really expect them to challenge for the title, but I am hopeful that they can be competing with Red Bull and Ferrari, and at least scoring podiums.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Khablam posted:

I'm British and I hate all British drivers.

Except Jensen, who was a man too good for this sport.

Jenson. And I'm still sad about the collapse of McLaren Dream Team 2016. Even (especially?) with a poo poo car they were still the greatest.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gret posted:

This will always be the best video of the Lewis and Jenson years :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSY8RUIvf8

That's a pretty cool video. That Lewis I could almost like, before he went mental and got all full of himself. Jenson, on the other hand, seemed to be pretty much the same guy in his last race interviews (except more drunk).

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

This was also a good video! I think if there was a show/team/one act play with DC, Webber, Jenson, and Fernando, it would be the best thing ever.

Theophany posted:

A fitting metaphor for their time as teammates.

Human Lewis is so much more likeable. I hope he's less of a petulant twat in 2017.

True, he was deceptively normal back then. Maybe dude just needs to chill out and not worry about his image so much.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

That system thinks pretty highly of Sainz! But I guess it also lists Nico as the 7th best driver of all time, so... :shrug:

Hey, while we're still speculating on the empty Merc seat... how old is Schumacher Jr. now? Time to upset Max as the youngest baby to drive F1?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

OK, I did a quick wikipedia search, and it looks like Mick Schumacher is 17 now, so he wouldn't break Max's youngest driver record even if he did start next season. Michael must be rolling over in his grave, having been beaten by Jos at something.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

simplefish posted:

Fernandroid, please.

:golfclap:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'm sure it has been posted here before, and I think I've referenced it also, but there was a video comparing Schumacher to his then-partner (Irvine I think?) showing their lap telemetry, and while the other guy was fairly smooth and steady on brakes and acceleration and steering input, Schumi's was constantly jiggling up and down... he was riding the ragged edge the whole time, making minute corrections to get every bit out of the car. His ruthlessness, as annoying as it was, is just part of what made him the most driven, competitive driver. Others were maybe more "naturally talented" or drove with more "style" or "grace", but as far as being a pure race winning machine, I think he's probably my top F1 driver. Senna might be my second pick, based on the biased documentary and information I've seen.

Found the video, it was Jonnie Herbert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2p2nRK-p4

i don't remember the Mika meltdown, what was it?

Best helmet.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Thanks Alain, I completely forgot about that. Those would have been my early F1 fandom years, so I wasn't jaded and hateful yet.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Dude looks old. This has been a rough year for LewHam.

It would be pretty awesome if bland old Bottas could come in and Rosberg himself a WDC just based on consistency and lack of melting down. It's probably not a completely unreasonable scenario either, especially if Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren can really push the Mercs and put more pressure on.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

El Hefe posted:

I hope it's called just RonGP

Call it RawnGP, and have a plain white car.

Khablam posted:

You were the friend in the group who won Street Fighter one time then refused any rematches and claimed you were the best, weren't you?

Anyone with any sense can see Rosberg peaced out because he realised one title was all he would get. He wouldn't be "retiring on top" if he thought he was a multi-WDC to be.

I legitimately think he just didn't want to drive any more. It seemed like he wanted ONE title, maybe for himself, maybe for Keke, whatever... but I think even if Lewis had announced his retirement first, and Merc confirmed Whirrline/Massa/Bottas/someone Rosberg would actually have a good chance of beating, he probably still would have quit. He seemed like he really wanted to get one, and then spend time with his family. Cool and good dad Nico Bossberg.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Piquet bus is amazing, and I'm glad I saw it.

I think Webber and Alonso have both given each other a ride. Erm, on the car.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

Some of you are acting like you can't even comprehend the concept of ad breaks, an insanely common and aggressively normal thing.

I like this term, and I'm going to try to use it somehow in everyday life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'll admit it's a difficult decision, they both have issues, but for me the commentators make the sport. A good sport is bad if the commentators are bad. NBC's commentators are pretty good and they've held my interest through a number of objectively bad F1 races. Same with BT and MotoGP, their commentators are top notch, it makes the whole event much more fun to watch.

I guess I'm ignorant because Canada mostly just has TSN coverage which is riddled with commercial breaks (the kind where the same Infiniti spot is shown literally 3 times in a block of 5 ads) and occasionally the NBC. I remember initially not liking Hobbs/Varsha because they were different than the British voices I was used to, even though I couldn't tell you who they were.

I actually just had to look it up to see what feed TSN picks up, and it seems they had a deal with Sky for 2016. I knew we had Brundle and Croft, I just never knew (or cared) which network they belonged to. Whoever we get next year, it's just what I'm stuck with, including the annoying, but somehow not quite murderous-rage-inducing commercial breaks.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya there's a benefit for anybody using it but most sources I'm reading seem to suggest that it's a nice thing to have for Mercedes and almost necessary for the high rake concept to work.

Edit: and ya, McLaren and Force India are the other two teams likely to get rear end hosed if this does get banned unless somebody comes up with a new loophole.

Welllll crap. I hope McLaren won't end up handicapped out of the gate again with this issue, I was actually getting positive about 2017.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Most important realization from that study: "So how much does the driver actually contribute to a Formula 1 team's success? A mere 15 percent".

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The effect of today's sports psychology/nutrition/fitness aspect alone would see 50s drivers getting completely crushed by their modern equivalents.

This would make a huge competitive difference. Even naturally talented guys at their peak in the 50's wouldn't be able to compete with the top drivers from today. Without looking at stats, I'd guess that it probably meant that it was easier for the good drivers to become dominant, with such a huge disparity in talent and conditioning in the field.

Would the comparison even consider level of fitness? I think since it tries to maintain independence from the influence of teams and equipment, it probably isn't relevant in the quoted study. I don't think Fangio could rip around a track for an hour pulling 3 or 4 Gs in the corners in a modern car.

But let's take it a step further. To really even things out, and get a flat comparison, modern drivers should be compared based on skill alone, leaving fitness out of the equation. So... get that time machine. Kidnap the various drivers a-la Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but get them when they're kids. Isolate them and don't let them do any training until they are all at their peak age and then turn them all loose on the track at the same time, going through various decades and equipment. After you've had them race each other in each of the main F1 eras, THEN we would have a pretty good comparison.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Alain Post posted:

If you use the "standards and training have improved so Marcus Ericsson would kick Graham Hill's rear end" argument, imo it's just as valid to ask if Jim Clark would murder the modern field if he had access to the same training infrastructure and opportunities that modern drivers do

(both scenarios are equally invalid imo)

Actually that's a really good point. I see where you're going with this... Let's get TWO time machines, and run one scenario where all of the drivers get no conditioning or training, and then a parallel one where they all get nutritionists, trainers, masseurs, simulators, etc. and see if there's a significant difference in the results.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

Which one are we using to give birth control to the Verstappens?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Pirate Radar posted:

On a completely different subject, and level of seriousness:

Max Verstappen, future WDC, once and future MWDC.

Not-Such-A-Bad-Guy-Maybe Maximum Verstappen. At least it's nice to see, especially from a young kid who I would have assumed had the privilege go to his head. Most people his age who get a little fame and fortune would probably thrown a bit of a fit, or at least a social media breakdown.

"Sitting in economy next to the toilets" is the new "sleeping on a couch"... I'm starting to see big things for this kid's future.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Not to mention that it is news to begin with, any normal person would not bring this up but its obviously a story Red Bull threw out for some positive PR.

I actually considered the fact that Red Bull manufactured the incident for publicity. Which is sad. Publicity stunts used to be a lot more interesting (honestly).

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

Wut?

it was either "double booked", or, and this is the way it works in Britain, Horner who was on the same flight, should have sat in the bad seat himself or sent a minion with a promise that he would remember this and would make it up to them later.

Drivers don't always fly with their team, either. I remember after the Valencia race years ago, my wife and I were at the airport waiting for our flight and we saw lots of various team and crew around, and then standing around by himself waiting for a flight was a lonely Vitantonio Liuzzi. Maybe Max was the only one on that flight and for whatever reason the other guy who booked that seat checked in first.

It's funny, because when I think about it, if I had booked a business class seat and they told me I'd be riding in the back of the bus instead, I'd probably be pretty annoyed. I assume they'd either comp the flight or refund you at least the difference, or some other meaningless airline platitude, which would probably be enough for me though.

Alternate option, Jos took the good seat and let Max take the bullet.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I would like to point out, as a subscriber to both the F1 thread and the wristwatches thread which are both the worst threads, that watch is awful and gaudy and way too goddamn big for his wrist. You got Mercedes dollars now Valtteri, buy yourself some class.

Shamefully, I follow both terrible threads as well. I'm not sure what model that is, but I am sure it's an IWC of some sort, due to it being so prominently featured in his signing picture with the new team. Looks like one of the larger pilot models, but it seems pretty thick and I can't tell if there are a bunch of complications or not. In any case, yeah, it's too big for him. In the later photo on the stairs it's definitely an IWC.

Technically a step up from Oris I guess, although they make some nice models too. Just not the F1 versions, which are almost exclusively awful.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

Don't lump me in, I don't want to pretend to be Their Ham ever.

GramCracker (on track day) posted:

"IT'S HAMMERRRRRRR TIIIIIIMMMMMME!!!!!" :rice:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bernie will NEVER be in a position that makes him helpless.

This article made me picture him doing the humble old man act, wringing his hands saying "Oh, well I suppose we all have to retire someday, if Liberty decides that day has come for me then three's just nothing I can do..." while having just bought a controlling interest in them through some shell corporation.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Also Pascal Where'stheline has trouble staying within the lines https://gfycat.com/GiganticFluidKiwi

That was my first thought as well.

Tsaedje posted:

He actually made it through a full pregnancy without dumping the mother of his child for another woman this time?

What... what the hell was he doing? ANd who are the passengers in those cars?

simplefish posted:

Good Guy Massa

It would have been awesome if Massa ran over and started pounding on him instead of trying to help him out.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

Almost everything I've heard from Liberty has made me feel pretty at ease:

Chase Carey's bullet point analysis with the problems with F1 as it stands
  • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid.
  • There is a lack of competition on track.
  • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals.
  • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
  • The decision-making process is not working properly.
  • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side.
  • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge.

A BBC article outlining some of what he's said since the deal was completed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38731760

This list is actually pretty good, and even tackling like 3 of these items would make the sport very different. I'm now firmly in the optimistic camp.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

lol, the gently caress is this? Some new crime drama starting at 8pm central?

This is Season 2. The main villain from last season has been vanquished by this trio, nicknamed "Eyebrows", "The Stache", and "Glasses". Tune in to see how they make things even tougher for our heroes this season!

Bryter posted:

The American ads that tell you to "ask your doctor about medication x today" are really weird to me.

"I, someone with no medical knowledge whatsoever, think you should prescribe me this drug because the television told me so"

The best part is the fast-talking run-on list of possible side effects. "May experience bloating, gas, hypertension, severe rashes, increased heart rate, burning urination, emphysema, and sudden death..."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

That's it, THERE's his game. Pull out of F1 just when he's pushed it right to the edge of the cliff, and then start a new series that he owns fully to nudge it over. More ruthless track deals, more ruthless profiteering, and he will run it that way for another 40 years.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I wonder if anyone will step in and try to resurrect it at this point. Bernie...?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Wasn't Ron Dennis in talks to acquire Manor? Would've been kind of cool, I guess.

Please do it Ron. McLanor 2017. No title sponsors required (or interested).

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Alain Post posted:

Newey says Verstappen reminds him of Nigel Mansell. Hell, I agree. They both suck rear end and deserve to recreate that crash at the end of "Grand Prix" where a car flies off the Monza banking and into a tree.

You know what... now when I look really closely I think I can see it too!

CratSock fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 30, 2017

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Who's going to post a goatse design?

The nose on that Manor with the big steep slope is interesting, I'm not sure if I like it or dislike it yet. Wider tires look great. I'm not sure about the coffee tables beside the cockpit either, I think if a driver puts his drink there it would fall off.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I don't mind K-Mag. Seems like he might grow into some personality. We'll see how he can manage to drag the Haas into a point this year, though I assume GrossJeans will be finishing ahead most of the time.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

What the gently caress was THAT?

I went to 10:43 in this video first, and saw good guys Nando and Kimi hoisting that public menace up for his win, and was moved by Nando's genuine happiness for the guy. Then I saw they were different and was so confused by whatever "Makia Racing" was trying to sell with that kidnapping/BDSM/sex torture commercial. :stare:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Personally I think they should focus a little less on loving about with the paint and name changes, and perhaps channel that energy towards making the loving car competitive.

1500quid, have you learned NOTHING about F1 from your time in the worst thread? There are priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

It's that cool F1 photography auction time again. http://zoom-auction.com/gallery.htm

Eric Boullier is the hero we all deserve.

Is that Haas or House in the back row?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

:crossarms:

Oh yea, they look absolutely thrilled.

Kimi is Kimi, what do you expect from him? But Nando gives him a pat and a smile that looks legit at one point. Or maybe he was thinking to himself "I just got beat by Pastor Maldonado... LOL"

• Locked thread