Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AI posters are the single group that is the most sane and resonable

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DOT physical got a bit more difficult last year, they added BMI and neck circumference levels which may trigger requiring a sleep study.

Doc also told me they made the certification process for the Dr more intensive, so a lot of offices do not perform DOT physicals anymore.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

But I think the one I'm looking at (Sense) requires being connected to the main incoming feed to my panel.
I just looked at the installation manual and you shouldn't have to cut power. You just have to take the panel cover off. The CT's clip over the mains cables to measure current just like a clamp-on amp meter. It will require adding a 120v breaker to power the device, unless you double it with another circuit (assuming the breaker is designed to allow 2 conductors).

However it is not a bad idea to cut power, under the newest osha regs an electrician would have to wear PPE while performing this task in an energized panel.

ALSO: :woop:

YouTube just notified me that new Roadkill is up, for we proles! BOOST CABOOSE!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I almost never turn off branch circuits, but it's not something I'd tell other people to do.
Did your theory courses ever cover arc flash? Because you can get pretty amazing levels of fault current when breakers do not operate as designed.

I had a #16 awg copper wire rub and short on a yard light I was working on (feeding right off xfmr), and even that small size of wire put off enough arc flash in the split second before it burned clear, to pit my safety glasses and burn a hole in my FR shirt.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'd probably feel safer cutting power, if I'm adding a breaker, unless I have an insulated screwdriver. There's actually an open knockout in my panel for a single pole breaker, so that would be easy enough to do (then remove once I move out.. or just leave in there, the only ones labeled are the 2 pole breakers anyway).

Don't the newest OSHA regs require PPE to even turn a single pole 120V 15A breaker on or off now?
Not trying to convince you to diy, but you don't have to touch anything hot with a screwdriver. The stab loks pop in.

-attach device power wire to breaker, and neutral wire to neutral bar.
-with breaker switched off, pop it into position.
-clip CTs around mains cables.
-reinstall cover and turn breaker on.

I don't know specifics about resi/commercial osha rules cause I'm utility, but requiring ppe to operate a breaker *with the panel cover in place* sounds really overbearing. An employee of an electrical contractor is probably required to wear their provided FR garments at all times while at work, though, cause that's easiest for the company to enforce.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Lmao

Maybe as opt-in, but most stations/stores don't have it and they're not standard on the cards.

You know how credit cards are going to chip-and-PIN? Well, we've got the chip part, but not the PIN. So you have to stick the card in, wait like 10 seconds, then either nothing happens or you have to sign, just like a normal swipe card. So they've added awkwardness to the use of it without any actual improvement in security.
The chip is still a security improvement, because if the terminal is chip-ready, and your account is identified as having a chip card, it will not allow a swipe transaction.

The scammers can get their hands on a printer to make a card with a magnetic strip, but creating a chip card is still out of reach (for most, afaik).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah I guess that part depends on who issued the card. Capital one will deactivate the account if the card is used at a chip-ready terminal.

So it's maybe a security improvement, haha.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

Hmmmm....my amex and chase cards don't get deactivated, but the terminal makes an angry noise at me. Which is real "convenient", since it's like 50/50 around here of places who have chip reading terminals on whether the chip reader is activated or not.
I mean if it tries to push the transaction through, not just physically swiping.

I found this out the hard way, when capital one changed my card status to having a chip....without actually sending me one. Found out when checking in to a hotel traveling too, that was fun.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lowe's credit card does 0% 18 month financing on anything over $299, and often run appliance specials like 10%-15% off.

Don't deal with rent a center, please.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

When AAA said that they don't transport vehicles without plates, my excitement about my brand new POS turned into dread. I don't know how the ride back up with the Uhaul is going to be, but I was not having a good drive home
SOP is to stick a plate on it, and tell AAA that it made a big bang and started smoking real bad.

The driver won't ask for registration or anything, they're a contractor that gets paid to haul.

E: also I'm about to watch new top gear AND boost caboose roadkill, took today off work. If any if you don't have a roku or whatever to watch YouTube/Prime on tv, it's worth it.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 5, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm off work today and so far have been loving productive. Demo'ing what's left of the office/.5 bath in my shop, going to turn it into a guest apartment and full bathroom with a shower.

Right now taking a lunch break with some 3 day old venison shepherd's pie with chips, and a winter lager.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had to Google it also.

Racism is rampant in sc, but not in Nazi flavor.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mulva posted:

It was -37C with the windchill on Valentine's Day in Boston this year, which is just -36F because science stops giving a gently caress when it gets that cold. People that complain when it gets to be 10F or something just fill me with disgust and condescension. That is shorts weather, put out a chair and get a tan. Hell grab some handfuls of snow and rub it on your genitals, that is party weather.
See I thought windchill was something invented by we winter-sissy southerners, or so I've been told by yankees*. Kind of funny seeing a Bostonian quote windchill numbers.

*only yankees who, generally speaking, only do recreational activities outside. I've never had this sort of annoying conversation with someone whose everyday job is outside. There is a usually a mutual respect among those who are at the mercy of the elements.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^I guess your avatar was a challenge?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Love to do that, got to pass inspection twice yearly for the renters/homeowner's insurance, though, so it's got to be an all-in-one solutions.

My first attempt was a battery operated digital timer, but with a D battery instead of an AA, running a big relay, all put inside the "stock" intermatic box that's connected to the breaker panel. That was shot down pretty much immediately on inspection.

There's also the Emerson 30 amp, SKYCENTRICS Wi-Fi connected switch.

Details are kinda hard to come by, but it appears you can control it via the skycentrics app. Specifically mentions being able to avoid peak kwh billing. May be worth calling them.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

If it's 240V make sure it is two poles yoked together to open and close both lines simultaneously.
I believe that switch opens both, but the load management water heater switches we install for my utility are 240v powered, but only switch one leg. (We install in return for a temporary bill credit, and the entity we purchase our wholesale power from then controls the water heater, turning it off at predetermined periods, certain months of the year)

These devices use proprietary software however, and probably wouldn't be user friendly.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Gas isn't available everywhere, and I think induction is generally seen as better than a standard electric range.

Efb

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Geoj posted:

Update on my wife's car getting rear-ended - stayed home from work today because I have the predictable sore back the day after being in a rear-end collision. Couldn't get the at-fault driver's information from the police department's records person until 2:30 this afternoon, then called the insurance company (Erie Insurance, I think they're regional to NY/PA/OH) and got run around from around 3 PM until just after 5. The adjuster assigned to the claim never called me back after I left her a voicemail, and then I spent the next two hours calling, being placed on hold and eventually getting a voicemail box for the person they transferred me to. Finally spoke to a non-receptionist just after 5 who told me the claim is "on hold" until they speak with their insured, who did not return a call placed today.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with a car that's just over the "not" side of the "is it roadworthy" line, another that inexplicably disabled itself and I'm going to rent a car on my own dime and hope they reimburse me later.
Wait, is Erie insurance your insurer or the other party's?

Because you should deal with your insurance if you have full coverage. They will deal with the other insurance company. If that is your insurer, holy crap that's bs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have so far had good luck with all my modern appliances.

That being said, they are a hodgepodge of brands, and models that had been available for some time and generated very good reviews.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Hey guys I've been awake without eating since like midnight and i've got the gordon ramsay youtube channel on autoplay, can someone tell me why i feel so hungry?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I liked BB a lot, but grew to loath TWD. They don't deserve to be mentioned together.

TWD after season one has almost zero plot, it's just a question of what main character will die in a gruesome manner. No redeeming factors at all to make it interesting.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

My 14 year old Amana microwave just bit the loving dust, and it's one of the over-the-range built-in ones. It looks like the job isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. Still, that's the last thing I needed right now.

I'm leaning towards going LG on the microwave. I'd do a Panasonic inverter microwave but as far as I can tell, they don't sell over-the-range versions of them in the US.
This is just my worthless opinion, but I think over the range microwaves are awful. Too high up for kids to use when they get old enough without having to grab a stool, and as a hood they don't ventilate all that well.

I'd consider getting a nice hood and a regular microwave if you can stick it somewhere else. I stuck ours on a small table in our never-used dining room, right off the kitchen. Best thing ever, I don't have to look at another ugly appliance, and my 8 yo can reach it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Echotic posted:

:aaaaa: I had no idea this was I thing, always thought I was just weird. Strange feeling, I seemed to get it from one on one situations mostly.

Seconded, I had no idea there was a name for this, or that there were videos to trigger it.

Weird!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

So if you gradually ramped up from zero to lightning bolt voltage it'd be fine? :haw:
I dunno about that exactly, but on the utility side, the damage is from the massive amount of magnetic energy imposed. So, literal physical kinetic damage.

I saw the aftermath of a lightning storm at a church, the meterbase was smoked and we had several parking lot lights that fed underground from it. The wire going up the pole was regular 10-2UG, and where it exits the underground pipe we staple the wire about every 6" going up the pole.

...in between every staple, the neutral was blown out of the outer jacket and bowed out in a 'U' shape. It was as if the opposite magnetic force between the conductors forced them apart violently, and the wire held its shape in that form.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My wife is telling me to let go of the idea of a Porsche and that I could get one later when it makes more sense. I have two kids now, a third on the way so having four doors to get kids in and out of (along with the odd adult passengers) the E90 makes more sense.
[SNIP]
,on the other hand I don't think there will EVER be a 911 as affordable as the 996 right now. Later in life I would like to think that I will be able to afford a turbo Porsche when I am ready for it.
Counter-counter point: Young children are the only passengers that will fit in the back seat of the 996 comfortably.

Right now, you can fit the whole family in the sports car that you really want. It can be a daily with limited constraints to familial passenger going-abouts. In a few years, they won't fit in the back seat and it becomes a special trip vehicle that is harder to use regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

A drat shame because she is fine as hell.

At least two fellas thought she was too fine to pull out

• Locked thread