Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Now that we've kind of passed out of the golden age of building/survival games, here is what I'm sad never really came to exist:

Something along the lines of Space Engineers, but with boats. Just like, takes place in a procedural tropical archipelago and you make little towns and boats out of modular parts. It's just chill af hanging out on your increasingly bitchin virtual yacht and looking for sunken treasure with your friends. Build Mother Base if you want. I just want a non-game about being on permanent tropical vacation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

farming simulator: FOR WOMEN ONLY

It turns out I was a lady all along! Thanks for the tip, G2A!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ImpAtom posted:

It is a game where you play a person trapped in a mansion filled with evil monsters who want to kill you and you must solve complex and somewhat nonsensical puzzles in order to escape. Also it will probably involve the Umbrella corporation and viruses.

I'm not sure how that isn't Resident Evil?

"*pounds knife and fork on the table* GIVE ME TANK CONTROLS"
-Resident Evil fans

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hey sup games chat. I started playing No Man's Sky again last night to check out the new update. I haven't found a planet I like enough to build a base on yet (I'm holding out for a nice-looking ocean world), but so far it's pretty okay. They rebalanced some of the resources. The pulse drive will take iron or zinc as fuel now instead of Thaumium, and now your suit life support uses Thaumium instead of Carbon. Your gun still recharges with carbon and plutonium, and the launch rocket is also still plutonium fueled.

I think they messed around with the resource spawns, or maybe my first few planets were just unlucky, because I had a hell of a time trying to find a decent amount of zinc, which is what your hazard shields still use to recharge outside of shelter. I could see this being a real motherfucker for people playing Survival Mode, which is the new hard mode they added.

There's also a bunch of new resources for, I'm assuming, base building tech, some of which require upgraded tools to harvest. The gameplay loop is otherwise pretty much the same, so if you were super unimpressed by NMS before, you probably still won't care for it. I haven't tried out Survival Mode, but supposedly it is fuckin difficult, and people are getting killed all over the place. It makes your life support needs harsher, and also makes the animals and sentinels more aggressive.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna stick with it for a little bit, at least until I can build my space-house. If you're on PC, you should consider unlocking the base size restrictions using the following steps: http://imgur.com/a/8Hn4B

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The Schick Hydro-Man is the only thing about the Game Awards that matters.

https://twitter.com/TieTuesdayLP/status/804518627022176256

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is a youtube hole I can fall into for like a week, holy poo poo

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sakurazuka posted:

We truly have reached the darkest timeline if it's okay for people to say Twilight Princess is their favourite.

Twilight Princess was my favorite on the first playthrough. Then I tried to play it again a few years later and was all ":catstare:"

So I guess my real favorite is either Wind Waker or LttP.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

VideoGames posted:

I will review video games. Spoiler alert: I'm pretty easy going and like a lot of video games, so don't expect lots of criticisms.

I'll be like Ollie North and get my own show because my video games war crimes are a farce before my Strong Opinions About Smash Bros Players

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stux posted:

also the problem is if u make it optional and overt people will complain about it for every possible reason. u have to do it that way to keep it as transparent as possible so people dont even realise so no one gets mad

I think the Metal Gear chicken hat is a good middle ground. Make the option available, but also make it kind of degrading in a non-traumatic way.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite game they played this year that didn't come out this year? Mine is Downwell

It's between Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V. I think MGSV edges out the competition slightly because I really enjoy the highly involved stealth approach. So like, while Witcher 3 has a more interesting world to explore, which is a big plus for me, MGSV is still ultimately more fun to play, because Witcher's actual "gameplay", that is, the fights, is still kind of rear end after all these years, where as MGSV's sneaking and gunning are both real good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think if you drift too far away from the Vader/Skywalker Jedi thread, in the films at least, you risk just making like a generic movie about Space Pirates. Huge amount of Star Wars, as a setting, is wrapped up in this idea that a terrible and irresistible destiny between the Jedi and Sith basically has the entire Galaxy in its grip. If you take away the lightsabers and mysticism, you're just kinda left with a completely generic space opera setting, which like, that's fine, but it's a waste to attach the Star Wars brand to it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lets hang out posted:

If only the Jedi/Sith thing weren't super boring

If you strip out the Jedi/Sith, and just keep the rebels/empire thread, then congratulations it's just Space World War 2. The Space Allies have to stop the Space Fascist Powers from conquering all of their Space Countries and presumably purging the Space Minorities.

It's not a coincidence that everybody you see working directly under the empire post-Palpatine is a human or a clone of a human. It's a direct analog to naziism.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snak posted:

My favorite part of Doctor Strange was him being an rear end in a top hat at the beginning, both before, and after his accident. Then we're essential told that his character grows up a bit offscreen. They, despite still being a huge brat with no respect for authority, he gets a promotion. Because that's what the plot requires to happen.

In fairness, this is pretty reflective of Strange in the comics. Half of the stuff Dr. Strange gets up to on his own time boils down to "I know this spell is forbidden, but I really need it to stop the <current threat>" *unleashes massive curse upon his enemy, starts shooting tar out of his eyes, accidentally lets an elder god creep into Manhattan*

Like, the first thing he does in his new book is get extremely frisky with a demonic worm queen because he's just magical Tony Stark.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm not picky about cheap beers, but it's not what I buy for myself. I won't be a dick and like reject a budweiser if it's what somebody offers me, though.

I guess if I had to rank cheap beers, it would be like, Bud>Labatt Blue>Coors>everything else

For mid-tier beers, I like Dundee a lot. It's like $10 for a seasonal variety 12-pack and perfectly decent. It's not as good as like a Southern Tier, but it's a perfectly acceptable flavor/value ratio.

For more expensive craft beers, my favorite is Southern Tier, with the exception of some of their weirder deserty beers. In general, I prefer ales, pale or otherwise, but I also like a porter or a dark lager once in a while.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?

I'm real close to finishing the main story in Pokemon Moon. I'm like currently standing outside the Pokemon League area.
I'm also pretty likely to finish the story in Dragon Ball Fusions by then, too.

Other things in my backlog will last me well into the new year, including, at this point, the remaining ~60% of Metal Gear Solid V, probably like 70% remaining in Witcher 3 (I'm about to depart for Skellige), and the entirety of Just Cause 3, along with whatever else I get distracted into, because my attention span for video games is notoriously fickle.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

raditts posted:

I don't know how you could possibly watch Pacific Rim and not realize it's being incredibly tongue in cheek.

deadly_pudding posted:

Don't you know? Real Cool Adults can only consume media if they can convince themselves that it's very serious and meaningful.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

oddium posted:

i feel like a lot of people didn't make and constantly use the super good potions, or know that meditating for an hour (like three buttons presses) will use up one of your 50 alcohols to replenish all of your potions

I always found this kind of amusing. Like, you don't need any other ingredients. Geralt just refills the bottle with liquor and gives it a good shake.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snak posted:

Remember when PC games came in giant boxes? I do. When I was a kid, I had whole set of shelves displaying all my pc game boxes.

I still have a box of old Computer Gaming World issues I keep telling myself I'm going to scan for posterity, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah, this used to own, and also the manual was like a short (or sometimes regular-length) novel. loving. The manual for whatever version of Microsoft Flight Simulator I owned in high school was like an inch thick and had an entire chapter devoted to triangulating navigational beacons.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MMF Freeway posted:

Idk what they were expecting from a new nintendo system. They don't even know what the good type of ram looks like over there

*opens up the Nintendo Switch to check out guts, it's got the goofy HIGH PERFORMANCE RAM with "heat diffusers"*

Nintendoooo :argh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ciaphas posted:

Eh I'm pretty okay with PSN at least compared to Nintendo ID and friend codes and the like

You're right about the wireless cards though. Why are console wireless cards such dogshit, just provide an external antenna plug or something if you have to, jesus

wires all over my drat apartment 'cos ethernet over power sucks poo poo there, too :mad:

There's a part of my apartment where the ethernet cable has to cross the room in order to reach my PC from the wall it's otherwise run against. We put down a little rug there to keep people from tripping on it :3:

The router is clear on the other end of the living room, which is like most of our apartment. It is a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bicyclops posted:

Blade Runner was already ruined... when they turned Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? into a movie. :smug:

I'm kidding, although I prefer the book to the film. If they want to do something with Philip K. Dick and a lot of Hollywood money, they should just loving make Ubik already. Get a great, weird director and a decent ensemble cast and make everyone afraid for their lives.

Speaking of Dick (<-joke potential here), is anyone watching The Man in the High Castle? I kind of thought the first half of season 1 sucked but that it improved a bit, and I'm hoping season 2 is a lot better.

:yeah:

I think after the success of Inception and Doctor Strange, the viewing audience is probably ready for a film that goes to the weird places Ubik goes to. I think it could be really good.

• Locked thread