Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my copy of MYTHOS TALES (a lovecraft-themed game based on sherlock holmes consulting detective) arrived and i've been playing through it. lots of notes:

like shcd, you get a bunch of things with clues and red herrings on them, as well as a paragraph book which serves as interviewing witnesses. its pretty good though it has many typos which... is a problem...

books rule videogames drool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Crap, i forgot about this. I need to grab it.

I hope more people rush in to make these, they are a really cool thing that mystery video games still have a real hard time handling.

there's seven kickstarter boxes (has a hardcover and a SECRET NINTH CASE) left to order https://8thsummit.net/product/agents-of-smersh-games/mythos-tales-kickstarter-hardback-edition-with-9th-case/ but if they're gonna do a reprint maybe that'd be good since it also has some typo issues and stuff which can make solving cases difficult

shcd had a ton of typos too and i dont know why

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stux posted:

its no SMT thats for sure

Thank god

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stux posted:

actually that was operation winback

too bad about operation winback 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know that these questions can be answered with "just go with it", but uh - why would you send a special agent into a rescue mission with only a handgun and ten bullets?

And why can't he move when he's shooting? Even Harry Mason from Silent Hill could do that!

e: What the heck, why a typewriter for a save point? :psyduck:

Because the original resident evil also had typewriter save points and they're funny

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm playing with mouse n' keyboard and it feels good so far - I mean, outside of no moving while shooting. But that's a kind of clumsiness that's making it feel more atmospheric, so it works!

Made it to the second typewriter after the church bells rang and the zombies quit attacking me, and y'know....this is a good game. Dated for sure, but appealing nonetheless and I yelped a few times when zombies lunged at me, so it's definitely working that atmosphere. :D

It's great, and the writing gets really funny. Everyone loves re4 for a reason

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://store.steampowered.com/app/376480/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is Castlevania II levels of ugly color palette. What is this poo poo?

art

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

Why are so many indie games about sad dads now

Or was it always like this and I just never noticed

the 20-somethings making indie games in the 2000s are 30-somethings now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh man it must be christmas, a new DLC expansion for TWO WORLDS II in the pipeline!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/456220/

/swings swords in figure eight

They announced it a while ago. It's a DLC to celebrate the big engine update, and to set up stuff for Two Worlds 3.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

please make an aaa game about penguins

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BURN TO THE BURN TO THE GROUND

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oddium posted:

crazy that super metroid and link to the past are perfect games when they aren't even the best games in their series. nintendo, does it again

Lttp is the best Zelda gently caress u

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I'll be like Ollie North and get my own show because my video games war crimes are a farce before my Strong Opinions About Smash Bros Players

I think you have failed to understand why Fox News gave him a tv show

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i was having fun with hyrule warriors but its kind of repetitive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well yeah. It's a Musou game. They're all like that. You gotta love the grind to really get into any of those.

And why does link now have a weird Korean mmo anime character as a fairy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mgs5 has fewer cutscenes than the other metal gears. For example, mgs4 had an ending,

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't forget Rockman & Bass

(Do forget Rockman & Bass)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GZiAzTlP0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

With Phil Fish, I think he's a very talented and clever game designer and I don't really care that he's a dick, though it's annoying that his dickishness and and people's other hatred of him because of it seems to have effected his desire to make games (though he did that VR thing recently).

phil fish keeps throwing tantrums and is a huge poo poo irl

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Leroy Dennui posted:

:drugnerd:

(from the MUSHA manual)

but who was the salutatorian of AIR AND SPACE UNIVERSITY

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

I don't care what he does on Twitter or wherever but he was an idiot to price his VR game 2-3x what it's worth.

also he canceled fez 2 because people laughed at him

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Yep. Played the hell out of XCOM and XCOM 2. This includes Xenonauts, I guess.

but have you played the secret third xcom game http://store.steampowered.com/app/290410/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Before playing Stardew Valley, I had no idea that people make jelly out of peppers, as if they were a tasty berry and not a ball of pure fire.

I've been trying to imagine what Pepper Jam tastes like and I just can't wrap my head around it.

peppers are berries, and have sugars and juice in them like any other berry -- they just also have capsacin in them. usually people use the less spicy peppers, like jalapenos, which when boiled down and diluted with sugar and gelatin as you do when making that stuff end up just a little spicy. good stuff

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lets hang out posted:

hey remember EVO Search for Eden on SNES? It was actually a sequel to a pc98 game that has an english patch coming out sometime soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISbJ0k0l0I

Yes. the patch has entered beta and is coming out in the next few weeks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Aviary Attorney is pretty ok.

I like this bird. I like this game.

I am on a mystery game kick so I got a bunch of old mystery games: The Colonel's Bequest, Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, and JB Harold Murder Club. I heard good things about Discworld Noir so I might grab that and I am for sure going to grab The Last Express because it seems pretty cool.

What is everyone's favorite mystery games?

If you don't need them to be videogames then please get a copy of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective ( https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Consulting-Detective-Game/dp/2914849893 ) asap as it is the best detective game ever made

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 9, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

getting a used copy of SHCD is probably cheapest if you do it through the bgg used market https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2511/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

theyre pretty trustworthy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

please play games before discussing them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like for an open world game to be good the devs need to put actual effort into making the traversal of the world interesting in some way.

Like Density Of Stuff To Do/Things Happening has to be high or traversal itself has to be engaging. Kind of a fine line to walk since "interesting" can quickly become "annoying" if you are forced to do it too many times and then you're right back to quicktraveling everywhere because you're sick of navigating the twisty streets of your GTA-alike or picking your way across the rugged landscape of Skyrim or whatever.

Also have to try and balance "I can get across the map really quickly" with "I am traveling everywhere in a straight line so it feels like essentially waiting to get to the next mission/thing"

Boring Ubisoft-style open world games are as much a scourge as the Common Ring-Tailed North-American Cover Based Shooter was a few years ago (continues to be?)

Yakuza

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I love Zelda make Zeldas please

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

To me hearing a game world is 90000000 acres just means they wasted money making more boring roads between the places with fun in them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

Do people really not rotate their saves when possible?

Ps1 Memcards were small and expensive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Sad I missed the discourse about Metroidvanias but just wanna say everyone who hasn't played La Mulana yet absolutely should.

They should play Toki Tori 2 and Wuppo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mario maker underwhelm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

It's when you bake a pizza with macaroni and cheese on top

jk it's when you tie a noose and hang yourself they're the same fuckin thing!!!!

also known as the "david carradine"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

After asking that I looked at the wiki the trolls still have up and yeah, pretty much.

The thing is so detailed and it's really hilarious how much they emphasize that all of Chris's problems are his own fault and have nothing to do with the people that have literally been trolling an awkward autistic man for a large chunk of his life.

one thing i remember is there's a wiki page of every shirt cwc has ever been seen wearing, and on what dates. which is totally normal information to record and share!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7UW3fS6tQ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The actual game is pretty bad. Just watch Supergreatfriend's LP. It's better than actually playing the game.

bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GUI posted:

Deadly Premonition is one of the best Dreamcast games ever made.

this man gets it

• Locked thread