Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Even if this game came out and fulfilled %100 of everyone's fantasy of whatever the hell this game actually is supposed to be. How on worth would it ever be full of players? The prices for a single ship are just bonkers and am I correct in assuming if your ship is blown up it is permanently lost?

Like even if you were a true believer that this was gonna ever be fun and functional, the pricing alone is so absurd as to limit the number of people who will ever play it. Whose gonna wanna be stuck flying a scrub tier ship when whales are flying around in massive capitals you'll never be able to attain?

Sorry, I've only loosely been following this "game" for the laughs so this is probably a well worn out thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's a good point, even if they somehow fixed their in game economy to make it remotely possible to attain ships without investing years of grinding. That will just drive away all the Whales who have spent 100s or even 1000s of dollars on ships.

They're basically screwed if they even wanted to try and balance the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chin posted:

In that case they would have made revolutionary breakthroughs in the fields of networking and artificial intelligence in addition to achieving some sort of time travel in order to allow their employees enough time to generate one hundred solar systems of content and thousands of voiced and interactive NPCs when it's taken them several years to implement three shallow NPCs and a small fraction of a single system.

But even in the alternate reality where CIG realizes they cannot make the game they promised and decides to come up with a concise and focused space sim that is actually achievable and fun (starting from scratch). They still couldn't pull it off because they've already broken the fundamental concept of balance with these insane ship prices. They would have to actively screw over their most dedicated cash cows.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Should you buy the turtle fighter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0qrJnv3kjs

There is 10 minutes of saying nothing about something that doesn't exist.

You're welcome.

I find this stuff fascinating.

I used to check in on SC from time to time just to see if it was going anywhere and I would read the fantastic descriptions of highly specialized ship roles and seemingly complex game mechanics that facilitated them. I thought "Hmmm maybe this is going somewhere, let's take a look at the game play". But then you try and find real game play footage and the only thing on YouTube is people like this guy discussing the hypothetical use of a ship that isn't in game and definitely doesn't have a "role" because no roles exist.

It's really bizarre diving into the forums and YouTube world of SC supporters cause it's like catching a glimpse into an alternate universe where SC is released and can be discussed in tangible terms.

It's the same feeling as a non wrestling fan hearing other people discuss pro-wrestling and the outcome of matches and the plots/sub-plots. It seems bizarre because it's all scripted and "fake". Yet at least wrestling fans know this, it's just not discussed that way. Where as SC fans are %100 convinced it's real.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 3, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol

Once (insert missing game mechanic) is in I'll be (insert missing game action) on you!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Here we go! :toot:

What does any of this mean? What is a White Box and why is everything listed as "v2"?

It's like a word salad of things used to describe 3d models. I truly can't comprehend what most of these things could mean and why they are on a road map "player swim", "organic shader", "player slide", I'm pretty sure "AI spline paths" is just an unsubtle wink that their road map is just Maxis goofy load screen jargon.

At the end of the road map I still don't understand what this game would look like, it's just a bunch of very vague piece meal features that are somehow supposed to magically coalesce into a playable and fun experience? Boy I can't wait to play some "Navmap to Radar v2"!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ggangensis posted:

Yeah thats another interesting point of this "Roadmap". In no way is it stated for what actual gameplay element these features are necessary.

"Player Free Look", 5 tasks, so that needs the same time as "Procedural Asteroids v2" (also 5 tasks)?

Also I would argue that at least these features are completely irrelevant for SQ42 or the PTU:

- Basilisk Armor. Just relevant for selling it
- DNA Face Customization. What does that even mean? Are they suggesting they use some DNA based magic to create player faces? Do some Oblivion-style facial customization and be done with it, why such a thing with 31 tasks, which puts it next to "Walk and Talk"(?!) and above "Core AI Improvements"
- Curelife Medical Pen (no tasks, wtf is that even? Can it be sold?)
- Titan Suit (Probably the same as with that Basilisk armor)
- Death Animation Improvements (what is wrong with the current ones?)
- Vehicle HUD v2 (what is wrong with the current one? Yeah, it isn't the best right now, but given the current technical debt I would argue it is fine)
- Vanduul Cleaver (A whopping 18 tasks. Is that a ship or some kind of FPS sword?)
- Player Swim (Why is this even a thing?)
- BEHR MK4 Frag Grenade (Why do they even list a loving grenade on their high level roadmap? Does DICE proudly announce they have implemented a Stielhandgranate?)
- Cloth Sim v2 (Right, there is the important stuff)

And one could probably go on. Actually, it would have been better to hide this "Roadmap", because it isn't worth anything at all and it is obvious it is nothing more than smoke & mirrors to slowly manage expectations with backers and keep them calm until Q2 2020.

It's gonna be hilarious when SQ42 is behind held up for release in 2020 due to one final task "BEHR Grenade Mk4"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

"New Flight Model" says the man, unironically, referring to a pre-alpha game that was written so badly due to the incomparable ineptitude and unparalleled stupidity of its leader. A flight model that, purely due to the game's status as a pre-alpha, could charitably be called "tier-0" and doesn't need iteration so much as it needs development. But we're going to call it "NEW FLIGHT MODEL" like it's a loving new feature of a game that has been released for years. This is just another version of that "2.0, 3.0" crap meant to make this game look established and mature instead of the decaying-in-the-womb abomination it is and has always been.

I think this is what bugs me most about SC development road maps. They call things v2 or v3 or tier-0 but they never explain what the difference in versions is beyond "flight model v2".

Compare that to a game I follow closely Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad (Now referred to as the Great Battles series as it has expanded beyond Stalingrad). They have been developing the simulator for over 5 years now and have made some tremendous strides. I really enjoy the developers communications of development and the road map for new planes/maps/features. It's a stark contrast to SC a game which claims to be the most detailed simulation of all time.

Here are a few quotes from the update logs of IL-2 that I thought highlight what a real development team creating a real simulation should look like.

Regarding updates to support late war jet aircraft in an upcoming expansion:

quote:

Our physics engine now includes the aerodynamic effect of air compress-ability at high Mach numbers. Our lead engineer has done the hard work of adding this phenomenon to the simulation so we take another step forward in our physics engine. As it is well known, when an aircraft’s speed approaches the speed of sound, many aerodynamic characteristics change; the drag increases a lot, the lift changes in a complicated way, the center of pressure and the aerodynamic center moves backwards. All of these factors affect the maneuverability, the stability and control-ability of the aircraft. When this happens the available G-load factor goes down, the turn rate decreases while the radius of trajectory does up and when pulling hard the airplane enters a stall earlier. Some airplanes have a tendency to become unrecoverable while in a dive at extremely high speed. As we plan to have high-speed piston and jet airplanes in Bodenplatte we could not ignore this aerodynamic effect. However, all airplanes in the Great Battles series now has this feature. So, dog-fighting at high altitude and high speed is getting another step closer to reality

Regarding implementation of gyro-scopic gunsight for the new Spitfire:

quote:

Our new Engineer-Programmer Kirill Konnov describes how the gyro gunsight works in detail:

The gyro gunsight is an advanced device capable of automatically calculating and correcting the lead angle for firing at a moving target. The attempts of building such a device begun even before the war in Great Britain and Germany, but first gyro gunsights appeared only in 1941.

It is taken for granted that airspeeds of the own and target aircraft are nearly the same or close enough, so the required lead angle is in direct ratio to the angular speed of the target. Therefore, to calculate the target lead angle, three values are required at any moment: distance to the target, projectile flight time and the angular speed of the own aircraft.

The pilot set the distance to target himself, therefore the simple optical rangefinder was part of the gunsight - adjusting the distance knob changed the size of the moving circular reticle. If the target base (its wingspan) is set correctly using another knob, then adjusting the circular reticle to be the same size as the visible (angular) target size effectively sets the target distance.

The time required for a projectile to travel the required distance has been set in the internal structure of the gunsight parts themselves and couldn't be changed. The angular speed of the own aircraft is the same as the angular speed of the gunsight itself.

*snip*
*snip*

Having analyzed the level of complexity and unpredictability of the internal processes of this device (many parts of the gunsight are actually crosslinked and serve more than one purpose) I have decided to model the entire system 'as is' without significant simplifications. Therefore, the behavior of the lead indicator in the sim is close to the real gunsight as it is possible.

Updates to gunfire dispersion in light of historical sources:

quote:

Second, we have revisited the gunfire dispersion model and performed additional research on the historical documents covering the fire dispersion depending on the gun mounting. There are no new sources, but we have re-analyzed our approach and one problem became apparent - some sources provide fire dispersion data for single shots while others have data for short bursts. For some aircraft, the sources provide dispersion data for both cases - this allowed us to build a statistical model for single/burst fire dispersion ratio. Having updated the dispersion model, we're now able to tune the fire dispersion separately for single and burst fire. Of course, we've taken into account the fact that even when you fire a burst, the first projectile has the fire dispersion of single shot while the subsequent ones deviate more because they are modeled as shots in a burst. The fire dispersion increases with the gun temperature as before.

In the most cases, the fire dispersion has been already modeled using the burst fire data, so the changes in these aircraft will be hardly noticeable when firing in bursts, but the single shot dispersion will be lowered greatly: 2-2.5 times. On the contrary, the Soviet fighters were set up using single fire data before so now their fire dispersion will be increased 2.11-2.86 times depending on the gun and aircraft (this isn't that much at the effective fire distances though, see below). In addition, thanks to this research, the single fire dispersion of the heavy 30 mm and 37 mm guns has been slightly lowered while the burst fire values stayed the same.

It should be noted that all these changes (applied to each aircraft independently) gave the overall effect of reducing the difference in the fire accuracy among the different planes (for fuselage mounted and wing mounted guns that are close to the fuselage). Excluding the rare exceptions, the fire dispersion for non-overheated guns is 0.66-0.95 thousandths of distance. At the effective fire distances, this results in the fire pattern of around 1 ft or slightly more.

That last update to the gunfire dispersion is one of my favourites, because the overall effect is quite minimal and most players would never even notice it. But since this is historical sim the developers take the time to get down to this level of detail. They have fantastic flight models already, so beyond adding new features (which they are doing) it's getting the fidelity to as close as possible.

Contrast that with SC, do they even have atmospheric effects and gravity properly implemented yet in their realism shattering simulation?

Popete fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 2, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

finally a female avatar is in

:lol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope it turns out Stephen Hawking was a huge SotA whale and defender.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SCLUL posted:

Welp paywalls back up so and with all the juicy developments lately I couldn't afford to miss out on all the comedy gold so I finally paid the $10 bucks for an account. I've been a long time lurker for 2 years and the laughs I've had here are just priceless. I've played games all my life, mostly console but later on I moved over to PC. Ive been aware of the genre of space sims but never was a fan. I originally stumbled upon this trainwreck while scrolling through my recommended on Youtube and watching MandoloreGaming's initial video on the project and its controversies. I quickly fell down the rabbit hole and soon became a frequent lurker here. I try to explain Star Citizen to friends and family and its just so frustrating. Even my "gamer" friends just dont seem to care or understand. But goons understand. I salute you all.

Ironically Star Citizen is going to save this Dead Forum (TM).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Lol agreed. Another thing that keyboard warriors often miss is how milestones are IMPORTANT to paydays.

Lets say, I've a project for a cool $5m. Contract will dictate how that $5m is split out across the duration of the project schedule. It can vary between $500K as the initial payment and $500k per milestone reached. A generous customer would throw in a bonus if you did everything right and delivered on all promises.

However throughout hitting milestone to milestone, it can be shaky, hell sometimes you gotta stretch it out abit or renegotiate the contract. That's project management for you. Often teams would stretch it out bit by bit cause the money is good.

For CIG, they basically have an open blank signed checkbook which they can easily write bonuses for themselves and absolve themselves for non delivery.

This is a good take on CIG and how they are held completely unaccountable.

I work for a smallish contract engineering firm. We take on hardware/software contracts for much larger aerospace companies and our contracts are usually heavily dependent on milestone deliverables such as; qual hardware/software, certification, production hardware/software and from then on it's up to the factory to meet production deliverables.

Every step is tied to specific milestone payouts, if we run into delays or design changes that shifts milestones and payouts (happens more often than anyone would like). But ultimately that means we are accountable to our customer to be making progress towards production or we don't get paid, as much of the contract can be tied up into unit production orders after development is complete. It's a huge cost to us in wasted development manpower if we fail to reach our deliverables.

CIG has none of that, they were written a blank check upfront that only ever has expanded with more and more ambiguous self directed "milestones". It's a recipe for bloat and missed releases which we've seen all along.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Because Citizens and CR love to compare their game to other long dev cycle AAA games from real developers.

Cyberpunk 2077's Development Didn't Start in Earnest Until After Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So wait, this game doesn't track your location after you log off? Like every time you log in you start at some space station in the middle of nowhere and then have to fly 10+ minutes to a planet?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

What's wrong with that commando's wrist?

lol I didn't even notice that at first.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, adding more insurance costs and allowing you to upgrade your ship from an M to a P for a huge amount of money. Sounds fun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well I have it on good authority that CIG are planning to eventually make you buy more insurance for your stuff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How is Peter Molyneux still around and being interviewed? He hasn't done anything even halfway decent in over a decade.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious what Star Citizens say about actual real simulators like DCS.

Like take a look at the new F-14 module that Heatblur is putting out for DCS, the amount if FIDELITY alone makes SC ships look like the JPEGs they truly are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID1sE2xfwU&t=282s

The cockpit alone is stunning.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does SC even have any AI ships in yet? Like are there AI enemies to fight, or civilian traffic?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If they devoted even a fraction of the time they put into lore for fake space JPEG ship manufactures into actually developing the game, it could actually be quite good!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there even a way for a ship to "break down" in a way that would necessitate a tug?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've said this before and I'm sure it's been discussed here to death. But how can anyone look at those prices and not understand how fundamentally broken the game will be even if it comes out exactly as promised?

For a single ship to be worth $160 it would have to be exceedingly difficult to obtain in game, which will alienate new players or people who don't wanna spend $160 on a single dumb tug ship.

On the flip side, if they make these ships easy enough to acquire by regular players who only buy in at the base model $45 package then anyone who spent $160 (or more) is gonna feel cheated.

So either the game entirely caters to whales and no new players come to the game or people unwilling to spend hundreds of dollars on ships are stuck flying poo poo heaps and eventually grow bored. Or they balance the game and all the whales spent hundreds/thousands of dollars for no reason.

No matter what, one of those groups is going to be extremely unhappy with the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It is fitting CIG is selling tug jobs to lonely nerds on Valentines day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Twitch makes me extremely uncomfortable because it is full of people begging for attention by giving money to people who are "famous" for playing video games. It is like a strip club, but somehow more embarrassing.

If I go to Twitch to watch live gameplay of a game I might be interested in playing I try to find a stream with hardly anyone watching that has no overlays and hopefully no one talking over it. If I can't find that, I jump into a foreign language stream so at least I don't know what banal poo poo is being talked about.

The only Twitch streamers I ever actively watched where the Idle Thumbs podcast guys, Remo playing Rim World was excellent.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I grew up around a bunch of other nerds so it was never really my unique identity, in fact in high school I felt like the dumb one. I'm now an embedded firmware developer working in the aerospace industry and outside of work I never really talk about or bring up computing and development work unless someone is specifically interested in talking about it. Even then most software developers are in web development and there aren't a lot of "young" people my age who do the kind of development I do so there isn't much to talk about.

It's funny, as I've gotten older I've started engaging in sports and outdoor activities a lot more to make up for my workday being on a computer all day. I still love playing video games but it is very far from being an identity for me and takes up a lot less time than my sports activities.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is SC supposed to be an MMO? Like will there be thousands of players in a single galaxy instance at the same time or will it be limited to like 50 players in an instance of each solar system a'la Elite?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

So it's simultaneously in alpha so you can't complain about it being boring, but you also can't complain because it's entirely intended?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This is too on the nose even for CI.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just make up some entirely player driven poo poo in a game that supports like 50 people (maybe?) on a single server at the moment.

They can't even nail down if the PTU is gonna be massive single shard or instanced like Elite and thus completely devoid of large scale player driven moments like they are describing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can just point to the current state of PTU where nothing of interest ever happens. There's a handful of "game" systems that don't really interact with each other and no one bothers to do them because they are bugged or boring. Nothing emergent ever happens because the game is a buggy mess and getting anywhere takes forever and in a single server there aren't enough people for things like piracy/trading to happen on a large enough scale for hired "protection" to matter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The fact it took them 7 years to model exaggerated female hip swaying shows how much the respect and understand women.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you've ever bought anything on Amazon you've technically funded Star Citizen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't even get how that could be possible. They're using a known game engine that presumable already has support for human animations. Male/female picking up a glass or sitting down don't look different. sure the polygon frame around the skeletal structure is different but the movements shouldn't need to be rewritten.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's so bizarre, I've never heard of any other studio having this problem. It's not like females in other video games don't look right either.

Talk about creating a problem for your solution.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

It really blows my mind how citizens can find that acceptable. They put up with some impossibly dumb poo poo but this is really on another level.

It immediately begs the question. How are they going to handle in adding other species? It'll take them a decade to figure out how to mocap/animate that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Citizens will point to the development effort as a by product of "fidelity". Creating a full new animation set for females is the price you pay for quality. But that's not how good designers/developers work. Sure you could model every minute detail of someones mole to get the most "detailed" mole technology ever but that's at the cost of development time for something else. All you're doing is adding complexity to your game, with how broken SC is already it makes total sense. They spend months and months designing some bespoke minor facet of the project at the cost of everything else. By the time they "finish" which I don't believe they truly ever will at this pace the engine will be outdated and look like poo poo or be so over bloated with "features" and "fidelity" that it will run like poo poo and none of the systems will play well together.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh, is this why I kept shutting down mid-30 minute flight? I'm actually halfway to being convinced that Chris is intentionally trying to sabotage his own game at this point. "Let's make the ships just randomly shut down their engines during already-incredibly-tedious long flights. No, don't tie it to any gameplay mechanic, just make the flight gradually overheat the ship for no loving reason. Players keep going AFK instead of experiencing my half hour flights to nowhere and that isn't good gameplay, so we'll give them a random button they have to hit every ten minutes. Chris, you've done it again!"

It's to keep players from "gaming" the game and getting up to do other poo poo. Fidelity demands you sit there and stare at nothing for 30 minutes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're going put up a "joke" ship for pre-sale. It'll introduce 10 new game mechanics that will never be implemented and directly contradict other parts of the game. It'll get a huge response and CIG will then actually put it up for sale at $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can't argue with emote science