Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What can you do in SC right now for less than $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

for reals though can you like buy a mostly-functional ship or whatever to play in the arenas they've made for $60 or is it like a bullshit cardboard box you make laser sounds in while players with $10k in ships poo poo on you?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I watched that video of the trip and what i found most noticeable is unlike footage from elite: dangerous, there aren't interesting menus or text or stats or anything meaningful to navigate while flying places. its a shame the graphics look so fuckin good and stuff because every time i watch a video like that i find myself temporarily taken in by the potential awesomeness of landing freelancer style on a moon with a bunch of cities and stuff you can fly around and see but then i remember that procedural generation is boring as hell

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

G0RF posted:

This is an “Am I too stupid to play Star Citizen?” redux

Random streamer tries Star Marine.

He tries the Persistent Universe.

He tries again.

And again.

Now, he has a Citizen tour guide with him. Listen to the interactions as the noob explains his inability to open doors because he’s trapped in his spawn room.

“Don’t worry about that. That’s (door opening in year 6) a work in progress. A lot of things are a work in progress. But a lot of things are just AMBITIOUS and incredibly beautiful unlike any other game I’ve ever experienced..”

His friendly guide goes on while the streamer clicks ineffectually on the door. Trapped. His guide attempts to free him. It fails. Fifteen minutes later, he exits to menu.

Three hours and twenty minutes later, he tries a fourth time.

The server worse than ever, he exits to menu.

And again.

This time four hours into his stream, he manages to escape the spawn room. His host has summoned a ship and beckons just off the landing pad with promises of co-piloting adventures...

Only to have his ship despawn before the streamer can jump out to him.

Um, CIG, I hate to point out the obvious again two and a half years after McArthur’s ill-fated Free Flight experience, but you still have a slight playability problem. It’s not THEM, it’s YOU. And all the friendly tour guide whales in the world are not enough to compensate for these kinds of shortcomings.

this was truly an incredible journey, and I loving despise that "ambassador's" voice. he's trying so hard to be hyper articulate and soothing ugh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lmfao all these people on the subreddit are really angry about having to pay to watch streams of citizencon, including people who are just below the magic $800 number that gives you complementary access. following are some top level comments that seem to be mostly uncontroversial and upvoted

quote:

Guess my ~$700 is considered worthless in the face of the whales.

Nice CIG.

quote:

As I remember it I already paid for info and updates when I backed.

quote:

[–]Burr73 [score hidden] 58 minutes ago*
Legit this is the first time I've been worried about this project.

Edit: can check my post history I'm not a FUD troll or whatevs. This poo poo is not a good look.

quote:

[–]EP0XEnew user/low karma [score hidden] 49 minutes ago
Right? 1k in and i cant even watch citizen con without giving more? NOPE. Im done.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9bovd7/i_support_you_cig_but_i_will_not_be_buying_a/?st=jlhbqwo6&sh=ba578978

ed: someone points out in another thread on the subject that eve does big things every year in iceland and manage to stream for free

quote:

The prices in Iceland are probably much lower than what CIG is paying. Also, what do you think of Blizzard and all the other conventions where you have to pay money to watch their streams?

smart people on that subreddit

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 31, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

Considering that the production will probably be much much longer and bigger than Jared+Interns can handle, I think it's worth it for all the crap we're getting.

Includes:
- Live streaming access to all presentations (let's call that "Canada Cup" - $8.95)

- In-game wearable duster jacket, (usually $5)

- CitizenCon 2948 trophy, (usually $5)

- CitizenCon 2948 Weapon, (usually $5)

- Access to purchase exclusive CitizenCon merchandise, (Implicit because of Subscription)

- plus an Imperator subscription for the month of October. ($20 sub - it's free!)

I'm kinda okay with this. I'll probably get the ticket, since that's easily worth double the asking price.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I love it when subreddits have huge meltdowns over basically inconsequential video game news

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, maybe I missed it, but refunds for tickets bought with fresh cash can only be gotten in store credit :laffo:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what is this gif from

also

quote:

High poly high quality models can be made quickly with little technical skill. I can sit down at a 3.8ghz half TB Tr2 and make you a 90 million texel lunchbox that will look INCREDIBLE. But if I import it into a game you'll get 0.0007 or so FPS if the engine can actually load all of it.

That's why they go back and make the precise ones they need afterwards.

The way I made my ugly but very very efficient models for Trainz was I'd make em as accurate in shape as I could using textures then I'd go back and clone the vertecy I needed out of the often 20x as many the program would randomly pointlessly put into the shapes. I then would go into mesh mode and play connect the dots by hand.

If you watch carefully in some of the videos in which they show the finishing work being done to the ships you'll see people literally stitching texels onto the vertex frames.

It takes time to do such things precisely right. This isn'd Erectile: Disfunction where they click "cheese wedge ship" then "blue" and move a slider to make the newest ship.

"Erectile: Disfunction" is to star citizen fans as BaQuack Obungler is to freepers

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I really feel like this subforum should have a thread for DayZ, the more I think about it while reading this thread, the more convinced I become that DayZ is just a smaller-scale SC with equally incompetent development, and also fundamentally a scam

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I clicked on a random time and they were discussing whether or not ships would be equipped with alarms to let you know when your cargo hold was in the process of depressurizing, as if that were eminently relevant content discussion

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

:yikes:

although this is pretty funny:

Didn't like... Star Wars Galaxies have that?

SWG had everything SC aspires to. Not only were the ships multicrew, there were four different positions on them, several different classes of pilot, and a special (maybe two special?) class devoted to making ship parts, and ships could only be made using parts from master ship engineers, so they commanded a premium for fancy one-off versions of ships

Everyone got a free space yacht back in the day and I remember pimping mine out with awesome decorations, because SWG would let you put many thousands of items up in your player house with meticulous precision, and it was great.

if SC could do half of what SWG managed to do with modern graphics it would be a revelation which is why it won't manage anything

ed: even the space combat was better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmJ5FkcLm6Q&t=6421s

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone please elucidate on her bad movie failures, what were they and how was she involved re: backer cash

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wow, she's an exceptionally bad actress, even compared to her dinner theater compatriots. she sounds unrehearsed and like she's not confident in her own delivery. this whole thing is just boring a low effort, too, ugh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol which one of ya'll is this

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9ec4m3/a_critique_of_rtv_ocs_looking_for_a_rebuttal_to/?st=jluyam08&sh=286627ad

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I was reading that pay for convenience thing and thinking about how I never bought Rainbow Six Siege because I hated the idea of paying for individual operators, and unlocking them via in-game currency was so outrageously grindy as to effectively make it not even close to worth it. Star Citizen is scaling this model up like crazy. I know its been discussed before, probably to death, but have they ever actually articulated how players will buy these ships in-game? Surely not with ingame gold from ingame vendors, not when they've been sold exclusively on a store for cash for years? It'll at least be some obfuscatory go between system like "Cloud Points" or something, where a ship is 1150 and you can only buy 1300 at a time for $200. Have they ever talked about those systems in exact detail?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this one guy tony seems to have accidentally joined that furry guild

lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i can't tell who is being satirized with this

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that explains why the comments are spinning a theory about FUDs from starcitizen_refunds and the elite dangerous forums spreading this dangerously seditious image

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

incredible that guns have like six different options, it reminds me of like DayZ and other extremely clunky "games" that rapidly became really frustrating. it just isn't possible to mix the menu design of an infinity engine game with a contemporary FPS. also I didn't see anyone mention the bouncing or placeholder textures in the "truck stop" which doesn't seem to actually have any functionality

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

colonelwest posted:

There are about 10-20k people who still tune in and lap this bullshit up, like it will all be in the game within the next few months when CIG can't even create a working flight model. Most of them seem to be whales and so delusional that they have resigned themselves to defend this mess to the bitter end. They also are the second lifers, all of the old school space sim enthusiasts have long moved on, now its just people dreaming of emancipation from their mom's basement into an exciting and fulfilling life in space. The actual mechanics and state of the game mean almost nothing to them, as long as "development" continues, they can continue to dream. No amount of incompetence or greed from CIG or reasoned arguments from any of us will ever save them. Like Starloop, they have to eventually reach a personal internal breaking point in which the light of reality and self-awareness comes crashing into their literal and figurative basements.

what is offensive data collection even supposed to mean in the context of even star citizen with all its promised features? do you collect their space social security number?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone get Roberts the master chief collection or Larry Niven books and he will turn synthworld into a ringworld with fully populated and landable surfaces and real time maintenance requirements for the ocean or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

are, uh, you supposed to be able to capture and imprison other players? lmfao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

in one fell swoop they alienated every single normal player, I honestly think this is the worst disaster yet. those ship prices are a ship sinker

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

The whales keep them alive at this point anyway.

yeah but imo there was always a remote possibility that whales would sustain them to something resembling a decent release (like, idk, destiny 2 quality, so poo poo but not unplayable) with a decent number of ships available in a sane way. that was my faintest hope that the game would be redeemed because me and all my friends would probably buy something like that, but nobody i know will spend more than $60 to make a game playable

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol at these dorks on the hover bike model. it just made this soft glitchy pew pew laser sound when he hit the button and it sounded just like a stormtrooper gun i had when I was like eight.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

moment of tension between two grown men over who gets to pose with the sniper rifle prop

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Warhawk109 posted:

Now Wilhelm Canaris is an interesting fellow.

Hitler sends him to Spain to convince Franco to join the Axis. Canaris is like “lol gently caress no, don’t join us we’re gunna lose.”

as part of my grad school research a professor lent me a huge box of microfilm translations made by the OSS right after the war, the supermajority of which were weird naval charts about firing torpedos and recounting battles and stuff. however, there were a few thousand pages of translated interviews with former high-ranking members of kriegsmarine/wehrmacht and one of them was about the abewehr and had a big part about Canaris specifically. the dude in the interview went on at length about how canaris sucked because he wasn't a "true nazi" and the intelligence services were "neutral or reactionary" and all this other stuff

I mean historically that has not been borne out and Canaris was garbage like all the other high ranking members of the third reich but its funny how much they hated him

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

trucutru posted:

Actually they just showed who they managed to make the rocks just a brown as the terrain. It was really difficult.

And they also boasted about their colorful pallete

Lol on mobile I thought this was a screenshot of their stupid city development perspective thing that showed off the model for whatever place that was

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

This is the loving worst conference host I've ever goddamn seen, holyshit, he's worse than Mr. Caffiene

what is wrong with this guy's hair, i was just staring at it baffled about the shaved line swooping diagonally down the forehead combined with the spikes going backwards :psyduck:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol so the anvil valkyrie, whatever that is but I gather it was just announced, is going to be $450. i guess that means this kraken capital ship they're showing off will be over a thousand bucks

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i heard this album was dope

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hav posted:

If shilling is to be done, then shill I will.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/681330/Helium_Rain/

Helium Rain is a single-player $15 space game based in a single system with one of those economy things that you can have a direct impact on by both loving up your opponents and building your own stations. Apparently it has newtonian physics, and a whole combat side to it, but I've been mostly playing it as a super-chill X3. Travel between the different planets takes a variable amount of time which you 'advance', leading to splurges of trading in one area, then loading up and moving to another area.

It's got a really 'clean' design and I'm enjoying it, but I don't have a lot of time to really knuckle down to anything that isn't Stellaris.

someone else should elucidate on this, I'm really interested and all this making GBS threads on SC makes me want to play a good space game

how close is Helium Rain to being a 3d escape velocity?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmfao these guards are uncannily similar to the ones from oblivion

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Interstellar Marine had a free weekend about three years ago and the multiplayer was fun as hell for something I assumed had been ginned up in a month or two, it blew my mind when I discovered how old it really was

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Why do people keep mentioning waiting in line for missions no way that's a real thing right

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

The train thing has been done before. In Star Wars Galaxies (of all things) before they put in space flight there was an interplanetary shuttle you had to take if you were going to a different planet. And it really did come only every 5 or 10 minutes or something. Because it was a Ralph Koster design from that generation of MMOs the idea was it would force you to socialize and make friends so you’d play the game longer. (Like the boat in EQ etc etc)

to give SWG its credit, they were also present in player cities and you could build them in sufficiently large ones, where they'd then organically become part of the galactic network and you could take them to all the local and galactic shuttleports. this had the effect of equalizing player settlements and NPC cities in a super real way because often player cities had better, cheaper services and were very convenient so they'd become populated pit stops and genuine social hubs, the model really did work. just like they managed to make player-run cantinas vibrant places that always had tons of players around

and that isn't even getting into how honestly elegant the implementation of jump to lightspeed was. you could fly your ships from planet to planet in real time and bypass the shuttles entirely, there were tons of ships, a fully realized supply chain for producing individualized bespoke ships and mass produced garbage, and the ship interiors were fully customizable just like player houses so any of the hundreds of thousands of 3d items that existed in the game could be positioned in them along a 3d axis that let you rotate them around and move them anywhere in the open space. so you could have decorated ships with furniture, weapons, a stuffed rancor, and a bartending robot and poo poo that could have multiple people aboard in space

SWG before the big updates accomplished almost everything CIG fantasizes about, including poo poo like variegated cooking and infinitely customizable ships/weapons/outfits/avatars. for all its problems I still think it is the best model for doing a contemporary sandbox style space game, like if they just remade it with a modern engine and smoothed out the punishing old-fashioned exp gain system but kept the job variety they would make all the money SC is supposed to make on release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

shooting enemy constellation

might be the worst UI i've ever seen