Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

tuo posted:

Completely offtopic, but this would be so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLrqtmKazpI

Makes you think how important proper game mechanics truly are, and how irrelevant graphic fidelity can be.

Then again, I guess if someone never experienced the original X-Wing and especially TIE Fighter, hey will look at this and simply shrug

:monocle:

I hope they rebalance the gameplay a bit though. X-Wing was amazing for the time, but it hasn't aged as well as TIE Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Decrepus posted:

Alot of these polished features were built into the Cryengine, so they realy arent spending millions on it.

quote:

Just what's in the game is already fairly fun, and if they were to stop development and just polish what and add some maps, they have could probably release it there.

You heard it, folks. SC is good enough to release, and it's even fairly fun.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFHmeaFGcM

Didn't see this posted before. Game plays better than he expected.

Has he played a FPS before? He was impressed by blood splatter on the screen, and how your gun lifts if you get close to a wall. Just like in Crysis.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I wonder if the people who got Star Citizen tattoos are starting to regret their decisions.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How the gently caress is there enough material for them to talk for 1 hour and 36 minutes

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hav posted:

Development started Two Weeks ago;

I'm not super familiar with Gantt charts, but why aren't the rows labeled? "Item 2.0: Power Supply / Pipes" is on the same row as "Continuous Serialized Variables," does that mean that the same team is responsible for both tasks?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The more I look at the chart, the more :psyduck: it gets. They have systems that affect each other in a huge way - even if they had a magical ability to deliver on each task with no delays, there's no room to iterate. I can't believe anybody is convinced that this is a real schedule.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

One of the tasks is "Jobification of Network Writes." When I do a google search of that phrase, the top result is a computer-generated Harry Potter fanfic.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If I just search for "jobification," the top result is something on Urban Dictionary.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Star Citizen Tracker has been updated. All backers are welcome to contribute to this evidentiary effort.

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Store: Towel

:smug: Does Elite: Dangerous have a towel?

wrap it up derek smartailures

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

boviscopophobic posted:

CIG designers have some kind of ideological bias against being able to see things (e.g. helmet obstructions, Starfarer interior...) Their latest concept ship is no different. View from the pilot's seat:

They did a great job simulating the view of getting a lot of dental work done.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Spatial posted:

speech_bubble.gif

That's just an artifact from his jaw dropping below the waterline on the Crysis map, right?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Maybe I've spent too much time reading this thread, but I can't read an article about video games without imagining the writers making GBS threads on Star Citizen.

quote:

A longstanding dream: Video games will evolve into interactive stories, like the ones that play out fictionally on the Star Trek Holodeck. In this hypothetical future, players could interact with computerized characters as round as those in novels or films, making choices that would influence an ever-evolving plot. It would be like living in a novel, where the player’s actions would have as much of an influence on the story as they might in the real world.

The problem becomes increasingly intractable over time. Incremental improvements in visual fidelity make 3-D worlds seem more and more real. But those worlds feel even more incongruous when the people that inhabit them behave like animatronics and the environments work like Potemkin villages.

...cinema envy. The game industry has long dreamed of overtaking Hollywood to become the “medium of the 21st century,” a concept now so retrograde that it could only satisfy an occupant of the 20th.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/video-games-stories/524148/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Also lol at Chris just being the most thinly veiled "head in the clouds, everything is fine" motherfucker in the world.

If even a fraction of the tech Chris is touting is close to functional, a few videos of that would be an amazing fundraiser for CIG. Instead they're selling overpriced mouse pads. How do shitizens rationalize this?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ripptide posted:

Didn't they also lose the new "networking savior code" from the 3.0 release? I know it's a very minor thing with an MMO, but hey....

Network engineer jammed his fingers in a door. Gonna be a delay.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TheAgent posted:

here's how things go, as was told to me last year

since Roberts has final approval on everything, artists or designers send the absolute best version of whatever they have to him. this includes hi res, hi poly mods that will not be used in game, as well as ultra res textures. if Roberts kicks your poo poo back down to you, you get a pretty severe dressing down, usually during a meeting. one of my friends (she's working on the new SW game) got talked down to in front of her entire team, causing her to quit.

but it doesn't end there. he places a flag on your work afterwards, so he will always double check for "problems" with whatever you send him. keep in mind he receives hundreds of emails like this a week, so the shitlist people get looked at first.

what he doesn't check is anything gameplay related. assets are what he really cares about, and as my friend said, "the cinematic feel" of said assets. one of the things Roberts used to go on about is that "gameplay organically grows" from what they create.

I know I posted about all this before in some fashion, but it's been awhile

Pretty much every postmortem analysis of a successful game says that they achieved what they did by having a clear limit of the game's scope and by not micromanaging their teams. But Star Citizen is completely different because

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why are they selling JPEGs of a stealth bomber? I thought your character was supposed to be a civilian in the game.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Also why do space torpedoes from the Fourth Stimpire look exactly like 20th century water torpedoes

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Quavers posted:

My other remark is that the production report CIG gives us is getting more and more inconsistent week after week. Text is contradicting images on an increasing number of tasks, and the global schedule is itself drifting away from the 3.0.0 schedule on their common tasks. I'm doing my best to maintain consistency in my reports, but don't be surprised if there are a few dates jumps here and there. CIG, if you need any proofreading, I can help!

:lol::lol:

Even the most hardened shitzens must be getting suspicious by now.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DarkRefreshment posted:

Standard prison rape fantasy in SC fan fic. Nothing new here

I can't tell the difference between fan fiction and the official lore.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Are these all from Star Citizen? What's the ship on the rounded end of the counter that looks like a shoe?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Gameplay, the basics of fun in a game, is only supposed to be available a day or two after the armadillo testing. This is from CIG's own schedule, the same schedule that they keep on adding another week to every completion date and yet dipshits like obey_the_fisting still think that this will be the miracle to make the world weep tears of joy and convert us all to the cult.

At least there will be a FOV slider to play with!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is that a picnic basket? Does this mean they're making scenes that happen outside of the cafeteria??

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

fuctifino posted:

Sadly not commando. That's the black space janitor with his mocapped mop and bucket.

drat I thought that stick was just a gun with a clipping problem

can't believe it's still that loving space janitor

:lol:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hav posted:

Are you comparing train wrecks, or suddenly realising that this is about an absolutely stupendous amount of cash?

An F-16 was $15 million.
M1-Abrams is $10 million
AH-64E is $64 million

How about an Island? http://www.vladi-private-islands.de/en/islands-for-sale/usa/florida/ballast-key/

$15 million.

Edit: Pineapple is as valid a topping as buffalo chicken, you goddamned snobs.

Falcon 9 launch cost: $62 million

You could build a satellite, launch it into space for real, and still have enough money left over for a Scrooge McDuck money pit.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The_Groove posted:

examples of serialized booleans used in Door 2.0 technology have been leaked:

Yes, this is just another example of CIG being willing to being willing to invest the resources and time to create the fundamental technology and tools that the conventional game developers either will not or cannot (i.e. they are prevented by those that hold the purse strings) do themselves.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Looking forward to the EMERGENT GAMEPLAY of giving each other eye exams

The lack of updates on actual game mechanics is pretty telling

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

* CIG you need to stop getting the community to do the recruiting and marketing for you. We already put in a lot of time explaining everything to new players. We already defend the game in other subreddits, other forum posts and whatever. You need to get the game to a point where it can stand on its own, stop pushing the community to make the excuses in your stead.

Well since not having to pay a publisher makes backer funds count for 4x times more than a normal game developer, clearly outsourcing marketing to the community will make funds count even more, like 8x.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

To all you haters making fun of delays in the Star Citizen schedule: do you know what else has had delays and technical setbacks? The James Webb Space Telescope.

Note that they too had to do some rework of the radiators (for maximum fidelity). And they're currently refactoring the propellant system, and no doubt they're running into issues with their datalink netcode and control software subsumption. The telescope is seven years late. What Chris Roberts is attempting is no less complicated or revolutionary.

:colbert:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I've never ever seen such hilarity as backers trying to explain that getting a loan does NOT mean CIG need money. This truly is something to behold :lol:

My favorite is the speculation that CIG needed the money to buy the Imaginarium to start doing mo-cap for the S42 sequel chapters.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, I thought it was particularly sleazy how he tried to cast the UK government as the less stable party, instead of a dysfunctional JPEG factory of a game company.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Richie Stardust posted:

It is a cool box though. If CIG would have made all their jpegs look like sleek boxes with neatly scooped out faces and the top plane really flat and linear then they would have had an art style. Something with their stamp. Then we could have looked at it and said, "Oh that's a CIG style ship." Instead we have this.

And this one, which I hope is fake.

These jpegs are poop stains on the internet.

It's not a coincidence that these designs would actually look pretty good rendered in low-res 2D sprites for a game like Wing Commander 1. The large cylindrical intake/exhaust shapes make it very clear which way the ship is facing at a glance.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

MinorInconvenience posted:

This "design note" was posted precisely two years ago this week (June 26th 2015). It is incomprehensible to me that grown adults who claim to work in the game industry would ever publicly announce that they wanted to add this completely stupid, un-fun, unworkable poo poo to a video game. And not be drunk or high. Morons.

In all fairness, it's not any less fun than the rest of Star Citizen, and it's actually small enough in scope to realistically be implemented in the game.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is this a real screenshot? It looks like a shopped in Poser model.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:stare:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

Does anyone remember that animation video they showed in the last CitCon, with commentary about a war and resistance and poo poo, which almost everyone thought it was a trailer for SQ42, until it was revealed to be a concept ship promo at its end?

lol I forgot about this. Didn't some people in the crowd start booing?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/885264286112772096

Thrilling to see., Around the Verse episode 342 teaser.

They're focusing on derelict ships because they don't have to have functioning doors.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

Of course there's a plan. You don't start with a long history of game development only to dive head-first into a crowdfunded project gripping millions and 300+ employees with no plan. Whether the community will like that plan or not is yet to be seen, but I guarantee you there's a plan.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Didn't one of their network guys admit they didn't know how to enforce a limit on the number of players in a single physics grid if more than x number of people wanted to converge in one spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I know you guys like to make fun of this, but the character work here is actually a significant step up compared to System Shock 2.