Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm assuming we will have to buy tape with game credits?

Oh yeah, space tape is really expensive, too. You can pay in credits in-game, of course, or you can just give me 50 cents every time you need it. I don't want people whose time is very valuable to have to grind unnecessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Thanks Nick.

Notice how NONE of the material elements of this patch are completed? And this was due out 7 MONTHS ago back when croberts said Dec 19th

Well, I'm sure they're going to hit THIS deadline.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Let's face it, the reason they want gravity to be a liquid that can be pumped around a ship isn't because of sound science or any thought out process. It allows Chris to add a bunch of pumps and pipes and greebles to all the ships to make them look more science fiction-y. Like all of his decisions, aesthetics are number one.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Daandrah posted:

Hi All,

I am Looking at getting into Star Citizen. For most games there is a post describing the game with link to guides, Groups and so on but I cant find one for SC.

Are there any goon groups? if so how do I apply?

Cheers

Good news, friend! You're playing the game * right now*! This is pretty much it, and I'm pretty sure we're winning.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Timby posted:

No one loving cares. Stop patting yourself on the back and jacking off.

Is this the new "patting your head while rubbing your stomach"?

If so, I don't care for it.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Lladre posted:

I think it's pretty funny how every time this thread thinks it's game over (myself included), SC continue to hobble along gasping for life.

CIG is like a Branson meltdown. Every time you think they're done, you log off for the night and go to sleep. Then when you wake up the next morning, there they are. Still melting down, still going on and on locked in a brutal self-own that spun off from the last brutal self-own that you thought they'd never recover from. They just can't help themselves, and it's loving fascinating.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

his nibs posted:

Calling it now.

Development will actually start next year when they switch engines.

Jokes on you goonies as this is all pre-engine R&D

:smug:

"Star Citizen didn't even start development until 2017. Get your facts straight, DEREK SMART."

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

why the gently caress are they letting people do this in an MMO

its going to cause massive server instability when a space chariot hits a crate at 300mph or whatever

It's cool, I don't think the ships go that fast anyway. It's the future, not a free for all!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

First he sent me this after I called him 'commando'

Then he went through half my comment history and replied to everything with this:

(which I didn't get screenshots of cause I was too busy laughing)

and then he sent me this:

I sat in the parking lot at school for like an hour while all this was going down cause I was laughing to hard to drive properly.

I am also NOT a good enemy, you guys. I tend to like everyone and understand things from their perspective, and upon finding common ground I find it harder to antagonize you.

I am just the worst enemy.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

I really think the worse thing for Roberts right now is realizing he's got to slash the scope of the game. Normally games do this and it kinda sucks, but hey, the game comes out anyway and people don't really miss the cut features if the game is good.

But CIG has pre-sold dozens of ships with unique game mechanics, especially the ones with large multicrew support. They have to keep moving forward, because the second they say "yeah we can't do that" they have to refund a shitload, an absolute shitload, of money.

This year is gonna be great.

This is another thing that I think people will talk about when this whole fiasco is over and done with. In almost every creative project, you have to do some editing somewhere along the line, either to meet a deadline, or due to money issues. It doesn't matter if you have a publisher or just a soft deadline, at some point you have to make cuts like this, and it always sucks. However, I can pretty much guarantee that every movie, video game, or other piece of collaborative, funded art has had this come up, and you don't even know about it. That's because you only got to see the final product, so you couldn't be disappointed about the things you never knew about. It's the smart way to do things, and it's one of the major factors of good design and running a good project.

Editing is almost always a good thing, and selling promises to the tune of $150 million before you even know if anything you said is possible is loving stupid. Good luck editing anything now.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

happyhippy posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/v2VVu

Dude did this in ONE YEAR SOLO.

ONE YEAR.

Five years with 400 people and you get a crate placing simulator.

This game actually looks pretty amazing, despite being somewhat low-fidelity.

It's crazy what someone competent can do. It's especially crazy when you compare it with this poo poo show, but then again, the key word here is, "competent".

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

technically these are mat paintings, I used to do these a lot.
It's a quite know practice in concept making.

Usually, they do try to hide the original pictures more though.

sad CIG is sad.

The thing that gets me about the image is how poorly rendered the truck itself is. The background is hardly changed, they just added some dumb towers and spaceships flying by in a blur, but if you can find a high res version, look at the cyclone itself. It looks like a test shot on a progressive render that they stopped too early. The reflections are grainy and the shadows aren't properly resolved at all. This would undoubtedly look better actually rendered Cryengine.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

It's concept image. They don't have an actual 3D model. So they won't have anything to render.

The cyclone itself is a 3d model. A 3d model that someone has (poorly)rendered and slapped into a photograph.

It's especially odd considering that they have that planetary tech just kickin' around looking and performing amazingly. You'd think an artist could just brush over an area real quick and get a few shots...

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Tippis posted:

It's also odd that, if they have a 3D model, they didn't do the sensible thing of rendering on top of various flats that had the matte painting Archered backdrop projected onto them. It would have all kinds of fancy things that matched(…ish) the environment . Like proper shadows.

That kind of stuff can also be photoshopped in. It'll never be perfect, but you can get the job done. If you're good, that is.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

funny you should mention that, I had the exact same thought.
I use corona render for my work ( I do renders for archviz ) and corona is progressive.

Meaning, it works with passes, 10 passes you can see all these dots'(noise) in corners, 100 passes give a nice clean image.

it looks like the render wasn't even done.
Also the fake headlights they shopped on it.

This is exactly what I was saying. I also do ArchiViz and use a progressive renderer, so it really stood out as weird to me. It's not a super complex model, I can't imagine rendering it out to a couple hundred passes would take more than an hour or so on a decent system.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

aye, nice to see a fellow artist btw!
freelance or for a company?

pfft, minimum materials, no heavy scene, with an I7 could be done under half an hour. I doubt they'd be rendering it at a 3k res.

Yeah, it's weird to see another one of us around. I'm a freelancer, flyin' around the 'verse creating sweet JPEGs for the highest bidder. You got the credits, I got the pixels, friend. You on your own, too, or do you have a steady income and not have your day broken up by dog-walking?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

actually have my own company. just me though.
I do hope you're not in Belgium, competition is a drag ;)

Yeah, same. I have my own company, but it's me and the dog, and she's a pretty useless for even basic jobs. No worries, though, I'm in Canada. I'll stay outta your country if you stay outta mine.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

seems reasonable to me.
We're still waiting on our New foundlander, pup should be arriving in about 2 months.

Lol at Frankfurt for basically not doing poo poo in a whole month.

Oh drat, Newfies are cute as gently caress. Post some pics of that pup when you get it for sure.

None of these photobashed ones, either!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Literally reinvented the wheel and made it both more complex and less useful. Magnificent.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Found a super secret R&D shot for you.

That's so strange, I have one of these in the very secret alpha build of my game, too. Check out this in-engine screenshot of it in action:

This is just a shot showing off a couple yet-to-be-refactored ramming space ships coming in for the kill on my Surface to Air Laser Technical. The SALT is placed in a procedurally generated landscape made by my proprietary "Smarty Terrain" generator, which is of course set to "Milford Sound, NZ" for best results.

Derek, if you'd like to license my terrain generation middleware just let me know. If anyone else wants in on this groundbreakingly fidelitous game project, a SALT can be bought for just $100, and if you'd like it in black you can just buy six of them. The Ramparp spaceships pictured are also priced to sell at just $45 a piece, but for a limited time only! Remember, they're one use only, as well, so you'd better stock up!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The Titanic posted:

Your about to receive an email from somebody at CIG about a job now.

I'll be charging them up front. Gotta make sure I get my cash out while they still have some.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The Titanic posted:

Somebody more into engines might answer, but I'll try just in case. :)

A custom engine would be better, because from ground up the core of the engine would be designed around what it's supposed to be doing.

Like instead of hacking in a physics grid to space ships, they'd be core level features. This might cause less problems and better interconnection between later programs utilizing these features; but you also need good coders to do this, and you also need a logical scope at the outset.

This is why creating their own engine would also have been a loving disaster. You'd have to have some underling who actually knows what he's doing sit down and have Croberts actually nail down a scope, and then somewhat stick to it. There's no "Let's make it 64 bit now, gents!" or "I think all the systems, planets, and everything else should be both procedural AND hand-crafted now." when you've got your scope locked in and you know what you're doing.

I think a lot of backers think they're being shown how the sausage is being made, and that people will be taught all about Star Citizen's development in Game Design classes all over the world when this is all said and done, and they're probably right. The difference is that there'll be a chapter in the very beginning of the textbook entitled, "Don't be a Chris Roberts." and it'll be about planning ahead and listening to people who know more than you.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Lladre posted:

I don't think you understand how closely Chris Robberts resembles Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak and Paul Allen.

And by resemblance I mean bipedal.

And opposable thumbs!... Well, just one big one in Chris' case I suppose.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

quote:

After review, the directors felt that Crusader’s moons were still feeling a little underpopulated, so design has been working to provide more points of interests on the planet surface as well as aiming to try and include some additional mission types beyond the original number of proposed missions.

I think I may have found the problem. They should fire this "director" fellow (or fellows). The time to add in extra scope is not when you're 8 months behind, nor about 10 days from when you're supposed to be showing your product. Chris, please take my advice; this guy's gotta go.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Chris isn't going anywhere its his company.

:thejoke:

Chris is a loving idiot. We're way behind, what can we do? Let's add more poo poo, that'll make us get done faster!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

CIG Marketing has finally hit its master stroke. By blinding us all with an avatar war, we'll be too busy fighting amongst ourselves to see the flaws in the pre-3.0 patch.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

what flaws. The issue council has been barely active for months now. Almost all bugs have been duly smashed.

I heard it's only going to take them 15 months and a few scope reductions to fix it! Get HYPE!!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I thought it was "pre-patch" 3.0? CIG loving hate naming conventions it would seem.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Well, pack it up goons. We thought they were too incompetent to make a Cryengine level, but here we are.

Look at those rocks, feel the fidelity of the sand in their single level, 12 player, 15 minute massive multiplayer game. This is what five whole years of development gets you.

Derek, I expect a written apology to Chris Roberts. Clearly he has leveraged his team and money to make fools of us all by providing what no development team on earth could hope to achieve: a decent looking fps level with 12 simultaneous people connected via LAN and some vehicles.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Whoa, poo poo. You guys, you can SIT on chairs now!

GOAT

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I like that the only interesting part was when they tried to catch the guy falling through the atmosphere and that it got cut short by their idiotic server reset.

Also, shouldn't that guy have burnt up on re-entry? Guess he didn't have his afterburners on...

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

My Gamescom 2017 prediction? Chris announces an unprecedented partnership with...

DEREK SMART

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

neonbregna posted:

What if the webcam is on my swollen nuts with a face drawn on them?

To be honest, it would probably work just as well. It's kind of a neat technology, but the implementation sucked. The characters looked like muppets.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

What are the odds they'll let you use your own camerAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What are the odds that if you use a lovely, less expensive camera it'll work better?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

gonna go with none because it's not going to work period.

Touche

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Once again, CIG marketing has hosed up severely and limited their cash flow by being missing the most lucrative road to milking whales.

With the new 600i, CIG has set up a way to pay to name your ship, which sounds great. You can reward your players for spending a bit of extra cash by allowing them to give their ship a unique name. Of course, I am one step ahead of the world's best marketer since she was a little girl by introducing a MUCH better ship naming system: punishing those who don't pay extra.

As you can see below, this clever commando has bought a Goonrathi Rampaarp for the low, low introductory price of $50, BUT he also ponied up an extra :10bux: to name his chariot the SS "Derek Smart was Right". This is the sensible and correct thing to do, and he is handsomely rewarded for his brilliance.

However, this cheap son-of-a-whore has decided to only go for the basic package, and his sperg chassis was procedurally named by our subsumptive rear end in a top hat AI for maximum mockery.

So, fellow goons. The choice is yours. You can pay just a little extra to give your ship a majestic name of your choosing, or you can bumble around the 'laxy in your idiot wagon called "Pancake Nipples Mk. II" or "Fuckface McGee".

CIG should pay me a lot of money to milk the idiots they still have. I'm WAY better at this than they are.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Toops posted:

:five:

Hello my old friend. Shall we discuss some new features for Solar Plebeian?

e: I have some ideas for a new immersive facial expressions technology.

Yes. Yes we should. I also have ideas. I was thinking more along the lines of a tumescence sensor, but I'm intrigued with your all new facial expressions tech.

Edit: Dog Fort Tax

Natron fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

This is one of the most important things to remember when it comes to Star Citizen. Goons keep getting to the top of the roller-coaster and going "Oh boy this is the big one! It's all over now!" but it's because if anything we're being too generous in the way we think people will react. The reason CIG isn't dead yet isn't because we're wrong about Star Citizen being a steaming-fresh pile of poo poo, it's because for some people - a significant number of backers - there's no bottom, nothing CIG could do that would merit pulling their support. These people honestly argue that what we have today is already the "best drat space sim" because their brains have holes big enough to park a zeppelin in.

This is so true, but I think there's a secondary point to be made about the citizens and their tolerance for CIG. The Citizens hate goons, and in order for them to accept that the game is hosed, they must also accept that we (and by extension Derek Smart) were right. I think this is one of the areas where the goons may have had a large impact in regards to the support of this game, because some of the Citizens are so incredibly anti-goon, anti-Derek that they simply dig in their heels and eat poo poo rather than admitting that anything we say is valid.

It's pretty obvious from an outside perspective that this whole endeavour is absolutely hosed, but for these people to come to that realization they'll have to deal with the fact that the goons aren't lying, evil people, and I think that's a bridge too far for a lot of backers.

Admitting you were wrong is tough. Admitting someone you hate is correct is even tougher. The laughs will continue at their expense (literally) for a long time, I think.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Furious Mittens posted:

Polygon has an article up regarding the facial animation technology of the game (as usual, nothing about the gameplay). But what surprised me is that it mentions that CIG is going to be offering a special 60fps camera for sale.

I just have missed this somewhere along the way but what the gently caress?

God, don't you know anything about game design? You have to make sure the faces of your characters are updated at least ten times faster than your max framerate or else your facial physics grids will desync. It's pretty elementary stuff.

Edit:
Doggo Tax-o

Natron fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Golli posted:

The Leaning Tower of Pisa has been on the verge of collapse for a couple of centuries. Poor Galileo never got to publish the blog where he called it.

BREAKING NEWS:

THIS JUST IN, THERE WILL BE NEWS TONIGHT AT 11:00PM. HOLD ON TO YOUR ASSES, PEOPLE!

SPECIAL BULLETIN: TUNE IN LATER FOR MORE NEWS ABOUT UPCOMING NEWS AND AN UPDATE ON THE NEWS WE BROKE EARLIER ABOUT THERE BEING NEWS TO REPORT.