Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
I never wanted to buy into this game, I thought I was done with collectible games with WotC's Star Wars Miniatures, but here I am.

A friend of mine bought heavy into the game really early and amassed a decent collection, but recently decided he didn't want to continue playing. So I bought his collection and now have no idea what to do from here. I've been watching some stuff on YouTube about how to deck build (hero or villain, character colors determine which cards you can have in your deck) and I think I've got a grasp on how to play after a half dozen games with my friend, but I don't really know where to go with my new collection. I seem to have almost all villains as far as characters go.

For Heroes, I have Finn, Hired Gun x2, Rebel Trooper, Rey. As far as Villains, I have Bala-Tik x4, First Order Stormtrooper x2, General Veers x2, Jango Fett x2, Kylo Ren, Nightsister, Tusken Raider.

Without net-decking (because I feel I won't learn how a deck plays, not because I think there's anythign wrong with it) do you guys have any hidden tips on how a beginner should put together a deck? This is honestly the first CCG I've ever played, I stayed away from Magic completely so I feel a little out of my depth.

Thanks my dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

bowmore posted:

I usually netdeck, go to an event and play the deck I copied, then make changes based on how those games went

It's good to have a base to start from

That's actually a pretty smart way of looking at it that I hadn't considered.

I like the look of eBala/Trooper/Jango. There's a lot of versions out there, so I guess I'll just pick one and start playing.

I've also been reading about/watching games with eRey and Padawan x2. I think that'll be my next project - I'd like to have one hero and one villain deck. I'm definitely not looking to be a completionist with this game.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

This game is too fun, and I'm mad at myself for getting in this deep.

I'm about a dozen Legendaries away from having 2 of everything. The market on singles should go down in June during the reprint right? I don't feel like spending $200+ on 12-14 cards.

Do we do have/needs in this thread for trades? I don't have any extra Legendaries, but maybe my extra Rares might help someone out?

Nevermind, I have a sickness. I just completed my set. :negative:

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 2, 2017

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

When I saw the "limited" print run announcement I went out and finished my Awakenings playset. Feels bad man.

At least that's all good news and will hopefully stop everyone from talking about how the game is "dead".

I've been playing a lot of eBala/Jango/Trooper and I'm thinking about swapping out Unpredictable x2 for Logistics x2 because I'm finding I'm running low on cash every turn. I've also not been running Dug In because I can't seem to reliably get the battlefield. But everyone is telling me I'm making a mistake by not running it.

What do you guys think?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Looks like it. I bet FFG got involved with it somehow. You might still be able to find them on the subreddit.

Edit: Yea, in the subreddit thread about it they said Asmodee contacted them to take them down.

Edit 2: Someone managed to write out the translated legendaries at least, if you want to see those: https://www.reddit.com/r/swdestiny/comments/614imc/sor_legendaries_translated/

That's too bad.

Guavian Gang member and the Grapple pistol and Aurra Sing were my favorites and now i can't reference them. :(

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

I've been solely playing eBala/Jango/Trooper as I learn this game and in light of all these spoilers, I'm trying to decide what changes to make to the deck. I've been toying around with the idea of dropping Bala Tik to one die and upgrading the FO Trooper to a Death Trooper because his die is so much better and it's +3 HP to take advantage of Cannon Fodder and The Best Defense. I'm not sure if 3 dice character builds are even playable. I've played against eJabba/Vader and eGreivous/Dooku a few times and I always felt they were at a disadvantage from the start.

I've also been thinking about dumping Jango completely and going with eBala/Death Trooper/Guavian Enforcer. I really like that no matter what you roll, the Enforcer can basically do one damage.

I really like Grappling Hook Pistol, and I think I'll be taking out Holdout Blaster for it. Holdout's Ambush is really nice, but, I get basically the same gun with DH-17 for half the cost. I think I like the sides on Grappling Hook more; that Special looks to be super interesting.

I wonder if Rocket Launcher will become a "one-of" in the early SoR meta like Block and Dodge are currently; play it just in case you see a Falcon, but otherwise it's a re-roll card.

Speaking of eJabba/Vader, Blackmail and Interrogation Droid pushes that deck to the limits. If you can Disrupt all your opponent's Resources then drop Blackmail, that's a ton of milling. Yikes.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

bowmore posted:

Q2 kits spoiled

Oh man. Guess I'm not dumping Jango after all.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Sorry to doublepost but someone on Reddit has every card spoiled in text. There are some errors in dice that people called out (UWing and Eweb so far) but this has all the commonS and uncommons too.

http://pastebin.com/UJb1DZ2x

Download it or copy it before it gets nuked.

So, Training is really REALLY good. Elite Deathtrooper is definitely my jam.

I wonder though, if you have Training on a TIE Pilot or if you're running two TIE Pilots, does that make it so all of your ranges dice can't be removed? That'd be crazy.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

What do you guys think about this deck? I'm completely unsure of it. Tried to stick to cheap upgrades (2 or less) and cheap events with at least some removal.

When I get two copies of Sabotage, I'd love to slide those in, but I don't know what to cut.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I've been running something similar except eBala and a Tie Pilot instead of Jango. You don't have to worry about going fast if they can't remove your dice anyway.

Now that I've traded for two TIE Pilots, I'm going to be using that lineup as well. I think it's strong because there's no "right" target for the opponent to start with. I figure most will focus TIE Pilot right away anyway, but at least that means they didn't nuke eBala first.

Elblanco posted:

Cargo bay as the battlefield would be a decent choice too. Especially with training.

I'll try it out if I can get my hands on it before release on the 4th; right now I've been sticking with Imperial Armory and Moisture Farm since I don't generate a lot of cash with Death Trooper out there.

I'd really like to fit in Friends in Low Places, since it's another zero cost that helps me get around It's A Trap! and Dodge or Guard, but I have no idea what I should cut for it. What do you guys think? (I also feel light on removal with only 8 die-removal cards)

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Two tournaments this weekend. I'm expecting a 20+ player turnout Saturday and probably half that for Sunday. I'm going to be running this as my first "SoR" deck:

What do you guys think? Any advice would be cool.

Fake Edit: I'm also looking at adding "We Have Them Now" to the deck, but I'm not sure what to remove to make the deck space for it.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I doubt your deck will move fast enough to get to use that card in most games

Yeah that was my only concern too. I'll run my deck as-is without it this weekend.

Besides that, does the rest of the deck look alright? (Enough removal?)

Thanks man

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

ShowTime posted:

No clue. I just know that I want to play him. I generally just find characters I like to play and build around them. I'm in a super casual meta, so I don't need cut throat tier 1 decks to play.

Maybe something like this?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

I was a scrub and didn't pre-order anything locally, but lucked out and was able to pick up two boxes today.

Between those and my stuff from all the pre-release events I went to (and trades!), I'm shy 9 Legendaries and about 38 cards overall from a SoR playset. My buddy and I also have 4 boxes to split whenever they come in the mail, so I'm confident I'll be done ASAP.

Hauki posted:

How do you guys store your dice, both for a deck and just general collection? What about cards? I've just got a pile in set order right now, but that's a little cumbersome for deckbuilding.

I use this thing to hold all of my dice. There's 12 inserts, and each insert holds 35? dice. I got all of Awakenings into 3 and a half inserts, and SoR is probably going to be the same. So, it looks like it'll hold a playset of Awakenings, Spirit of Rebellion and Empire At War. It rocks. At the last event I was at, someone was looking at it and accidentally dropped it. All the inserts spilled out of the case, but none of the inserts opened - super sturdy.

I need another deck to go with my Villain guns deck. I've seen hero mill do some cool stuff on the TTS videos I've watched, and after I built that Padme/ObiWan deck I've been continuing to tool around with the idea. What do you guys think? It's probably trying to do too much, forcing in the Second Chance+Ammo Belt combo and 3P0+Snap and Patience+Return of the Jedi. I'll bring it this weekend and play a couple of friendly games after the tournament and see if it even functions like I want. I'm sorely missing Defensive Position and Dug In. :(

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Went 5-3 over the weekend with my Deathtrooper/eBala/TIE Pilot deck. Didn't feel great with how it performed, so I'm going to change up what I'm playing. I'm interested in Unkar, and put this together; what do you guys think?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I should say that I don't think ePalp is terrible, only that people seem to put blinders on wrt his actual in game efficacy by how overstated it is

Like, is he free wins for any deck? Hell no. Is he the "9-0 STORE CHAMPIONSHIP UNDEFEATED DECK (read description)" meta monster reddit and swdestinydb think he is? I think also no

Palp is fun which matters and he's competitive and interactive, which also matters, but he's probably not even in the top 3 in terms of broad, pointless generalizing about who is strongest from SOR (I'd put FN-2199, Maz, Unkar ahead of him for their costs)

SOR has a few genuine wtf design choices in it, but the game is so fun it barely matters - but cards like Force Speed, Maz, TR-8R, Imp Inspection, Vibroknife... those are pretty nuts

Speaking of Nines, Unkar, Inspection and Vibroknife...My first store champ is this Sunday, and this is the deck I'm running:

The goal here is the be flexible as possible about how to win. Obviously Unkar is going to be good control, but I went with a build that can deal (mostly melee) damage, can discard, and has Crime Lord in it if it's necessary to win that way; sort of a triple threat.

Packs at least 8 removal cards, but there are 3 flex slots; I'm not sold on Loose Ends and I don't know if I need to copies of Confiscation (but Second Chance makes me worry).

What do you guys think those last flex slots should be? I've considered Sabotage, Disarm, or even one of each. Something I havent thought of?

I've play tested this particular build about a half-dozen times and its way better than the version I was playing before (Unkar/DT/FOST), even without the Endless Ranks.

EDIT: Battlefield is Docking Bay, but I'm open to anything neutral, like Mos Eisley.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

KO Derf posted:

I was talking with some people and it seems like Mos Eisley Spaceport is not a good "dead" battlefield due to the overabundance of Rey and Force Speed. Since Rey is likely faster than you and thus will claim, the player will always bounce Speed back as it costs them no tempo loss the next round and gives them a resource.

That's a really good call I didn't think of; I'll definitely stick with Docking Bay as my battlefield then.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Anyone else hear the rumor that Empire at War has a release date of Sept. 14th?

That's really soon. Maybe a surprise Force Friday pre-release event?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

So I've been playing this deck on TTS a lot and it's been doing pretty well. It's done well enough that it's my first published deck on swdestinydb. What do you guys think?

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/13449/directdamage-2.0

The swap I'm considering making is Plastoid Armor out for Threaten for some extra out-of-hand damage and removal. But Plastoid has absolutely saved my butt in multiple games.

Any thought on the direct damage archetype is helpful. Thanks!

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Hauki posted:

Interesting idea, I've got some comments/suggestions/concerns but I'll keep them to myself until I actually try some games with it as it's a fairly different approach from what I typically play.

Awesome, extra testing is great.

I've had a couple of tough runs on TTS lately and I think it's because the mitigation I've selected so far is somewhat conditional in the name of potentially also applying damage (High Ground, Threaten).

I'm really considering gong to Ancient Lightsaber for the heal action, but I'm still unsure. Also, if I use both Ancient Lightsaber and Crossguard Lightsaber I feel like I need to find a spot for Lightsaber Pull as well.

I'll be testing this in person this weekend fir the first time, so I'm excited for that.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Red Hood posted:

so I'm excited for that.

Well that dream is dead. Don't waste your time.

After losing 12 games in a row on TTS, I've determined it can't keep up Sabine/Rey taking 9 actions in a row or survive Mace/Trooper rolling out 11 damage in one roll and it doesn't burst enough to kill Hera/Maz/x fast enough.

I'm super salty right now.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/38/a7/38a7c28b-8a85-4426-9fc2-d8fac35eb8bb/swd_rules_reference_15.pdf

New RRG is out.

2P Phasma +1 point.
FN2199, Awk Poe, Unkar +2 points.
Vibroknife is "this die or this die modifies".
Imperial Inspection is "set aside after use".
Can now discard to reroll zero dice.
It's A Trap and Hear of Battle both 2 dice max.
Redeploy clarified.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Wezlar posted:

Just practice more than I did before you do :suicide:

Thanks for the awesome report!

Would you be willing to post your revised list? I have a Galactic Qualifier coming up over Memorial Day and haven't played a competitive game of Destiny in 5 months. I'm trying to follow your advice to practice, but I'd love to see how your Boba/Sister list compares to what I dreamed up. I had never even thought of It Binds All Things.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Pods at Kublacon start in about 30 minutes. Pretty stoked to get some practice in before the GQ starts tomorrow.

If any of you goons are here, let me know, I'll buy you a beer.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Kublacon is over and I had a great time. Saw tons of people and played more Destiny over that weekend then I think I had in a year. All three Galactic Qualifiers, plus I think I did 4 pods over the course of the weekend. 6-0 Friday, 0-2 in Trilogies Saturday, 4-2 Sunday with the same deck. Got a Boba spot gloss, a Yoda spot gloss, and a Ewok Village spot gloss.

Overall had a really good time.

I ran Boba Fett/7th Sister as I had mentioned earlier. Here's the decklist and a rundown of my opponents.

I guess I have to go to Worlds now?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

tehinternet posted:

That’s super cool man. What made you pick seventh sister over other characters?

Intimidate/Frighten, and Hidden Motive honestly. I knew I'd be seeing a ton of shields, and I felt like having that shield hate was necessary. (And it was). Plus you can't turn down zero-cost removal.

Also, I'd been running Ranged decks with red in it since Awakenings (Jango/Bala/Trooper then FUNkar then 5 Die Villain), so going with Phasma didn't quite excite me as much.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 31, 2018

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

I'm really underwhelmed by the spoilers we've seen so far.

Since I don't want to keep sinking hundreds into every expansion, I try to look for cards that are potential includes to either my Boba/7th deck or my 5-die Talzin deck, and so far only Darksaber for Boba/7th and Underhanded Tactics for 5-die Talzin have my interest.

Is it just me or has there been very few villain spoilers compared to hero? I guess this is still the adjustment for how dominant villains were in the first year of the game.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Hauki posted:

Otherwise I honestly can’t remember what’s been spoiled before this point besides Luke 3. Still no release date either, and no idea if it’ll be legal/available for any of store champs season. If not I’ll probably just roll with stairs or boba 7 again because :effort: Maybe dust off Sabine Yoda so I can have fun at the expense of others.

Store Champs are like, the "lowest" level of competition, so WotF will be legal as soon as the street date hits. More than likely this means the meta will shift mid-season. Hurray! :v:

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

With the rest of the set spoiled in text, so far the only cards I'm looking to add to my B7 deck are Dagger of Mortis, Darksaber and Beguile.

Kinda sad nothing else grabbed my attention, but my wallet will be happy I only need to buy a couple of Legendaries to update my deck.

I have my third Store Championship this Saturday. Missed the Top 4 by one place at the last two, so I hope to make the cut this weekend.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

tehinternet posted:

What deck you been running/ what’s the meta in your area look like?

First Store Champ Top 4 was eObi/eMaz, eRey2/eAayla, eSabine/Yoda, eKylo2/eAnakin. Top table was Obi/Maz versus Rey/Aayla.

Second Store Champ Top 4 was eSabine/eEzra, e7th Sister/Nightsister/Cienna Ree, eKylo2/eTalzin, and eAayla/eRey1/Jawa. Top table was eKylo2/eTalzin versus e7th Sister/Nightsister/Cienna Ree.

I'm playing the same deck I won a GQ with. I posted it before but here it is again.

Highlight of the second Store Champ last weekend was being able to push out 20 damage in one turn against a eYoda/Rose/Wookiee mill deck between a timely "As You Command" and double Boba specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Dooku2 is pretty loving good. Like 19pt Obi Wan levels of broken good. Plenty of 12 point options to use with him too, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the new broken combo.

Hell, throw single die Snoke in with him for an easy extra two damage with Snoke’s ridiculous power action.

I feel like Ciena Ree is the move here, specifically for Electrostaff, Riot Baton, Logistics and Leadership.

I'd hear a case for Talzin, with all the consistency she gives, but, that makes a Kylo matchup feel really bad.