Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is your FLGS averse to money? idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Did FFG do that bullshit where they put 1 copy of starter-only cards so that if you want 2 for your cool deck idea you have to buy 2 starters?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

I really don't think his die is good enough to pay another 3 points for it, when his ability doesn't rely on them.

That looks like a trap card unless there are a lot of other cards that can use Red Villain weapons besides him.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

If you buy both starters, the only cards you don't have a 2x play set of are Finn, Mind Probe, and Force Throw. I'll add starter contents to the 2nd post

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Glad it's only three cards, but it's still annoying.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Triple-Kan posted:

They've mentioned they plan something like 3 sets a year of equivalent size to Awakenings, but nothing about rotation yet. I wouldn't doubt rotation, though.

Idk what Awakenings is. Is that 3 expansions a year? or 3 blocks like how MtG does blocks, i.e. an expansion like every month or so.

If they're only doing 3 sets a year, that's a speed I can actually deal with, and any faster than that probably stretches the limits of reasonable playtesting anyway.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

That kind of clinches it for me getting into this game. Core set has 174 cards, so about 525 cards per year? That's a lot more reasonable than Magic... I think they released 1200-1300 cards in 2016, alone.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

This is assuming that Asmodee can get off their asses and keep up with demand. They really shat the bucket on this. A local shop said today that they were just told by their distributor that the next wave of shipments will be almost entirely starter sets and no boosters. That's garbage.

This isn't Nintendo-tier supply chain incompetence, though. From the letter they sent to stores, manufacturing the dice is complex enough to slow things down, as well as ridiculous demand, maybe more than they estimated. I don't think anyone is making GBS threads the bucket or anything.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

uncle blog posted:

Is it true that organized play requires opaque backed sleeves? If so that's a bummer. I much prefer how clear sleeves look, and they're usually cheaper too.

Yeah, that's how their other card games are.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

No pretty sure it's a flat policy no matter what. Too easy to cleverly mark card backs otherwise.

Yeah, it's in the tournament regs.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So, are Vader and AT-ST the only chase rares, right now? Maybe Jabba? I see Vader going for about $40, Jabba for $20, and AT-ST for about $15. I'm thinking of getting a box (maybe 2) of boosters and then buying singles of legendaries/rares as needed and I think I'll come out ahead of getting the Team Covenant set.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

You're doing this all on ebay? I tried doing this way back when I was playing/buying L5R and figured I had about $1k in rares I could sell, including chase rares, etc. I put them all up and didn't get single buyer. I kind of gave up on selling cards on ebay after that, but maybe it was just because it was a dead game at that point (this was back in like 2012).

Obviously it's too late to get on the shortage gravy train, but is this something I can get into once supply issues are gone? I feel like there's a "trick" I missed or something the last time I tried it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

You probably missed the only time where flipping boosters will be profitable overall, yeah. As demand catches up prices will plummet and with the cheapest boxes being ~86 and averaging 6 legendaries per box it's going to be hard to break even over the long haul. This is good for players, bad for resellers. The game doesn't have enough chase rares at the kind of rarity or card pool size that would create any crazy prices like MtG.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I'm mainly thinking in terms of just subsidizing my collection, i.e. buying a couple boxes, selling off duplicates I don't need, etc.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Caedar posted:

Pulled a Han Solo and a Black One in my first twelve packs. Did I just get really lucky, or are many legendaries just overvalued right now? Is there any reason not to just sell these for ~$70 total and buy twenty-some more boosters?

Do it fast before the next shipments of boosters come in on the 15th and 22nd.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ebay is my go-to

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I swore I'd never get into any kind of blind booster collectible game again but fuuuuuck this looks really good. What are the dice like? Are the faces just crappy stickers? I'm trying to save my wallet and make excuses to not start throwing money at this

Well... don't read this...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/29/star-wars-destiny/

quote:

What makes the dice different?

Unlike many games, the dice in Star Wars: Destiny do not use stickers. Instead, the dice are plastic-injected like normal dice and rolled in a tumbler to add a fine, smooth polish to every die. The images on each side are then physically heat-pressed onto the dice, essentially printing the artwork directly onto the plastic. Finally, the die is covered in a scratch-resistant coating, allowing you to roll these dice without their quality deteriorating.

The dice are durable af

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

Cool Stuff had Starters in for about a nanosecond.

Looks like they still do. They are limiting to 1 per customer.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm just gonna dig out all my old L5R decks and use those sleeves. No idea what those are.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

If I get more Stormtroopers I want to do a 4 stormtrooper deck. I'm sure it'll be very bad because it seems like having an elite with two dice is good because of action efficiency to get dice into your pool, but I always liked having lovely decks like that in Decipher CCG with like 15 troopers or whatever.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

KO Derf posted:

I don't know... Endless Ranks and Squad Tactics are really good cards. I watched a couple youtube matches where a guy tries out a 4 FO Stormtrooper deck and it looks like it might be doable with the right cards.
Just remember to roll your troopers one at a time so as not to confuse which die goes with which 'trooper.

EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/user/SlingPaintTV/videos

Yeah, those are exactly the cards that made me think "hey, there might be something here."

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So, opened a half box... got a Luke and Black One. Distressingly, the Black One die had a small blemish, I picked at it since it looked like a loose piece of sprue or something and a tiny chunk of facing came off.

Why did it have to be black one and not something dumb like jedi robes?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

I find the "time doesn't start under a leader says so" (after everyone's completed their setups, mulligans, etc.) is kind of surprising. Dealing with judging Magic for 10+ years and playing for 20+, I can tell FFG that card gamers are going to get ready on their own time. Starting a round at 40 minutes and telling people to hurry up with their mulligans and setup seems like a much cleaner way to do this. As a judge, I don't want to have to wait for players who might be outside smoking, in the bathroom, or otherwise slow at sitting down to start a round. This is why Magic has slow play penalties (which are just recorded warnings at first and don't interfere with the game).

I've done a bunch of x-wing tournaments including at FFG's venue and that's not how it works. It's up to the players to be ready and set up before the timer starts. If you're not set up by then, the leader usually calls timer start and you just do your best to get going.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So, how OP is Veers/Jango? Seems like it's the current deck to beat.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I thought it was three upgrades.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I love the flavor of this card :allears:

I put together a deck just so I could use that card on people.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Well, you're gonna have to clench your buttcheecks a bit more because there really isn't going to be any stock for another week or two.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

You guys really think there's a this massive number of people that are sitting there going "welp, couldn't buy the game in December, guess I give up and just won't play for ~reasons~ when it's available in January." lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ultiville posted:

but it's a real fumble and will hurt overall sales.

The only reason anything was a fumble is because it sold ridiculously well overall. Overall sales will be just fine.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ultiville posted:

My understanding is that this is untrue, and they had a significant rejection rate in quality control, ie, they wanted to have more product available.

Also, underestimating your market and running out of product is better than overestimating it and having tons of dead inventory, but it's still a mistake, and underestimating it this significantly is certainly a fumble. I even said in my post it's not a long-term worry for the game, but it's absolutely reasonable to call it a mistake on their part.

If there really were manufacturing issues, that's a different story, but isn't a failure in their distribution or of the game as a whole, as you seemed to imply.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally no one said the game was a failure or dead. We said the launch issues hurt it, which is absolutely true.

Ok, I get that.

I still disagree, for the reasons I already stated, though.

I don't think the game is "hurt".

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that this is the best TCG I've played since Magic and I'm just frustrated I can't have more people to play it with. :shobon:

I hear ya. Supply should stabilize in a few weeks, I guess.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I guess I agree and you guys are right that there's definitely an effect, I just don't think it will amount to much over the long term.

Finally got to get some games in at the FLGS. I have a Padme mill deck and a Veers/Jango deck. I really like these decks, but the Padme deck feels like it needs some better control options or something. It got rolled by Qui-gon/Rey. Most of that is I'm still super new and don't even know what I should mulligan for or anything. Had a lot of fun, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

By "next wave" they mean "restock of Awakenings" though, right?

I assume so, but yeah the term "wave" threw me off, too. I'm used to that meaning new expansions for x-wing/armada.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ShowTime posted:

It's because they are releasing Awakening in 4 shipments, or waves. They initially let distributors know of the delay sometime around late Nov, when the launch was planned. They said that they didn't anticipate the length of the manufacturing process and that affected their release. So they were going to push it out in waves. This is the 3rd wave of 4.

Yeah, I'm aware, it's just that my brain is used to processing "wave" differently wrt to FFG Star Wars (and I assume the same is true for canyoneer)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FWIW, you get two Rey dice in a single starter, so if all you are wanting is eRey, you only need one starter.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I freaked out a little but this isn't coming out until Q2, so 3-5 months, I guess. More than enough time to save up money for boxes.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I've lost to that deck a few times. Blew up my Jango/Veers and my Padme mill decks. I am still very new and bad at the game overall, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ShowTime posted:

I've been seeing a lot of MM preorders who keep getting their shipping date pushed back. Which really pisses them off because MM is still opening boxes for singles.

I may sell off the bulk of my collection and just keep 1 deck, and then rebuy at a later date. Prices are so inflated right now because people are ravenous for product.

But won't you be kind of stuck without Awakenings content, then? I assumed FFG would stop producing Awakenings boosters once the new set comes out. Maybe not, though?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah I have no idea how ccgs normally go. I'm used to L5R, where they cut off production almost immediately after initial release. They probably had much lower player counts than this game, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Star Wars has characters for days. I wonder if they'll start dipping into EU? I kind of hope not. Imagine opening up a pack and getting DASH RENDAR - EXTREME SMUGGLER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I was wondering the same thing, since they took kind of the opposite approach with X-Wing; Use OT and and a lot of EU stuff and avoid the prequels entirely, whereas they seem to be all in on prequel material for Destiny. EU stuff generally is pretty stupid, but if Kyle Katarn was available I know what would become my main deck.

There are some EU characters I like, but I don't want to see them in game. I might be okay with some Clone Wars/Rebels people, but even then I dunno. It's weird though, because I have no hangup whatsoever with X-wing using EU stuff.