Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm starting to have serious doubts about the design team behind this game (or cards, more specifically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think the answers to hyperloop require you teching for it and having less-than-ideal to useless cards against non-hyperloop decks. The game really needs sideboards for organized play. But again, the problem boils down to them making an amateur mistake regarding recursion effects in card games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cool, we're talking about Earth and not Mars. Also a lot more people will play it now that it has a win condition and not just stall possibility.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eh, they should have known better, it's loving Star Wars. This is just a repeat of X-Wing product draughts, showing they don't learn from their mistakes. This issue benefits no one but resellers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That was a completely different time for both Star Wars and hobby gaming. FFG certainly has experience and numbers to have done a much better job than they did, not to mention Asmodee backing now as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

They had very poor pre-order sales from distributors. When nobody seems to want to buy your product you don't decide to just mass produce it.

They didn't just go "eh, we don't know how this will do, let's not print enough." They had numbers to back it up.

Well yeah, no one preorders collectible game product before they even know if the game is good or not. That's pretty basic. They should have done a prerelease and released the starters a month before Awakenings and people would have been hyped for the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

loving :lol:

More timely amateur hour poo poo from FFG. MM not even bothering with preorders for SWD in the future because FFG can't deliver.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Thanks! I have some Battlefoam stuff for X-Wing and Warhams, didn't even think to check them.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to get into a set, since the Fantasy Flight Star Wars LCG was a huge disappointment to me, and I need another collectible game like a hole in the head, but we picked up the starts now that they're back in stock and the game is just too good.

Hoping I can similarly skip boosters for Spirit of Rebellion and just get full sets, but Team Covenant's page seems to have never actually had them up for sale? Guess I'll be watching eBay again.

TC will likely have more up for the second wave of SoR. Join their notification list if interested.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Has anyone played with a Force Speed Rey list? Also, any ideas for an elite Palp deck yet?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Considering SoR gave hyperloop a win condition it's good that they're being proactive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really liking elite SoR Vader + elite Kylo. Combos of Emperor's Throne Room/Nowhere to Run/New Orders/Command Shuttle/No Mercy + Force Speed let you pull out a lot of damage unexpectedly. Gameplan is basically shield Vader and upgrade Kylo to split the threat. Force Lightning is also great, but hard to pay for in this deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

uncle blog posted:

Do people sleeve all their cards, or just the ones in their deck? Started sleeving all my cards, but now it's starting to add up in how much space they need. But resleeving all the time also seems like a hassle.

You can get 600 ultra pro sleeves for $27 on Amazon. That's what I use. Resleeving sucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So are we at consensus that there is at least 1 Force Speed per box?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My wife really wants to play Chirrut/Baze so I'm trying to build a deck for her. I assume eBaze/Chirrut will be better than eChirrut/Baze, but that's about as far as I've gotten. Any suggestions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KO Derf posted:

It's not just that, it's getting Second Chance and Ammo Belt from the discard over and over. When someone can get 3-6 "second" chances reliably, it makes it too drat annoying to deal with.
I remember when the game was first out the lead designer talked about limiting recursion, then the very next set... more and more cards digging through the discard pile. They have already issued errata for 2 recursion effects and we're barely starting the life of the game.

Team Covenant has mentioned this very point on their podcast almost every episode, and the disconnect between what the lead designers said and then did is just baffling.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Benthalus posted:

Of course not, it's eBay.

thats a dick move and why people should never buy loose boosters in this game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is painful to watch

You would think with FFG money these dudes could afford a basic hair cut

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 6, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

But Rey is OP :v:

The top 16/8 was a pretty diverse meta, which will probably only get more diverse with SoR.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 7, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's pretty lovely that they'll send the card but not the dice. A friend opened a Palp card with a tie die so there goes $50 :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know of any other games where a legendary is made up of two components that can be packaged separately and incorrectly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Forcing them to play around Force Throw is exactly why it's so good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only good character is Yoda

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Journals of Ben Kenobi: good card or bad card?

its good but idiots on Facebook can't stop crying about how grrrible it is

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I look forward to seeing more formats for this game. Like a wild format that allows hero/villain mixing, some kind of drafting, etc. as is, the game is turning into a hyper fast aggro game with the new SoR stuff (Rey is going to be much more of a problem now than Awakenings), and limited formats tend to be much slower paced and allow more of the card pool to be used.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The two barriers to having a sensible draft format for this game are obviously supply and characters. It would be impossible to do any traditional style draft because even with an entire box you might not be able to build a tournament legal deck. I was thinking something along the lines of bring 1 character of each color and up to two dice each as a base line then draft from there. We're playing with a full proxxy playset of Awakenings and SoR, but we only have 3 people, so it's hard to test any ideas like this.

As a general strategy question, do you find yourself mulliganing for upgrades in almost every game regardless of the deck you're piloting? It seems like the most critical early game play, with some select support cards up there as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot of games in the SoR meta are going to be decided by rolls in round one. Damage is going to come hard and fast and there will be little to nothing you can do to stop it. This set was already sent off to production by the time Awakenings was really making it into players hands, so we'll have to wait for the next set to judge the direction of the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Yeah, that's my view of the meta at the moment too. Lukas did an interview with the Knights of Ren guys at worlds where he mentions he was surprised by how popular and powerful all the action cheating was, in particular how good Rey was. Now the second set was at the printers ages ago so there was no time to change things up but they basically doubled down on the action cheating in set 2 and it is going to be pretty intense for a while. Maz is just stupidly efficient at getting damage through that you cannot mitigate.

"I'm surprised taking extra turns in a card game is so popular and strong"
:psyduck:

for that to come from the lead designer of a flagship game in 2017 is embarasssing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree Awakenings has a good balance, and SoR will still be a varied environment, it'll just lean heavily towards fast aggro decks. Two things you have to be very careful with in competitive games is cost cheating and action economic. The first hasn't been an issue yet, but the second is even more important to keep in check in Destiny given the back and forth design.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

Local store is getting less product this second wave than they did the first and still can't cover all their preorders afaik. Supply issues getting resolved is fake news. Sad!

LOL how many times are people going to fall for this? At the beginning of the month everyone's response was "this wave was supposed to be small wait till the one at the end of the month it'll be huge". Jfc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What was the draft format? I know Covenant did a big one with a lot of players and mentioned they learned a lot for future draft formats, but they didn't go into any further detail.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EaW spoilers make Poe/Maz even better, with no real answer to them yet. Lukas said the new set was all about aggression. Joy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Exactly. They want this to be a 2-3 round game I guess. They said something along the lines of wanting it to feel like a fighting game because of the dueling nature, but making an all aggro card game is a pretty drat boring design space to limit yourself to.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

triple sulk posted:

Errata-ing everything as a solution instead of just doing a ban/restrict list is the dumbest poo poo.

A thousand times this. Instead of opening the card pool up, this tightens it even more. Jesus loving christ no wonder Lukas tanked Netrunner. Not to mention the utter fuckery this will cause with the second hand market.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I made a proxy set that cost me probably $4 total in paper and ink and I still feel burned. If I can figure out a fun table draft mode it can at least still be a fun game night game, but drat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hera is cool as hell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can trade here or the Destiny FB groups. There are probably a lot of people that will help you out fleshing out your commons and stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

40 point tournaments and no hero/villain restrictions are both fun variants. We also played rainbow decks (one character of each color, single dice each, no point restriction) and that was good, but Palp probably ruins it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Who hates money more: Nintendo or FFG?