Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lambert posted:

But people do get mad at companies for having local monopolies as well as online monopolies. It's just that TV retail sales don't matter, that's why nobody cares about their monopoly. It doesn't hurt consumers in any meaningful way.

QVC also isn't a monopoly because the space they operate in "products sold on tv" isn't dominated by basic cable home shopping channels, it's dominated by beer on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I buy online so I don't have to look at myself when trying on clothes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

jit bull transpile posted:

Yeah, for example in my case I'm 6'4 and a woman's 15 in shoes so so there's only 2 sites on the internet where I can reasonably find stuff and they have 10% restocking fees and shipping takes a couple weeks. Or I can go to the mall and hope to get lucky on a few things fitting right and being long enough.

I had the opposite experience: I only buy shoes online because at my size the stores never stock the ones I want.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xaris posted:

what size feet are you? I buy my shoes online (sometimes at REI with the 20% off coupon or to try em) just because my size is often out of stock or not carried, but thats just because I have really wide feet (9.5-10 2E). also if stores ever have any sale on them, they're often gone quickly so I can get some pretty good sales online for them at least

14. If I wanted generic mall shoes it's about 50/50 they'll be in store, but I'm a picky sneakerhead so most of the time I'm buying at launch, off eBay, or at Oddball.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Amazon Story Time:
My wife works for a transportation company and Amazon forced them into a sweet-heart deal where they basically get to take their trucks and leave them anywhere. She hates them, and for years we couldn't get Amazon Prime. Then the wedding came and she needed a picture frame in two days. She became an instant convert when it was free and now it's gone now. I should have used it more. That's the story.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well does it or doesn't it? Amazon basic is the new competitor, is it good or bad for consumers?

If your analysis stops at "what makes prices lowest" then go away.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

QuarkJets posted:

Again you are showing that you are too soft-brained to differentiate between worship and observation

I would like to amend an earlier post: Under no circumstances do you "have to acknowledge the existence of" reality.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Step one: Acquire 4.4 billion dollars to buy Sears, a company you already own.
Step two: ascend to godhood after proving you can fleece the rich as well as you can fleece rubes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

I literally think oocc does not understand the concept of a market.

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Sears Arrears Fears

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Would you like the extended warranty?

The Retail Collapse of 2019: All those moments lost in time, like Sears in rain.

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Prime cuts of Bezos beefs

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Diagonally integrate your supply Bain

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Lambert and Bernie are Gay Married

The Retail Collapse of 2019: tbf you need a high IQ to understand Brick and Mortar

The Retail Collapse of 2019: From his lair deep within the former textile museum...

The Retail Collapse of 2017-9: Wow this is taking awhile
The Retail Collpase Thread:
Lampert and Earnings
Who had Sears in the Whirlpool?
Pinching JC Pennies
The Light of Lampert Upon the Sears Corpse
Like Mallrats from a Sinking Ship

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Reatail Collapse 2019: Dead Rising to the Occasion

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wanna see what happens with two rival churches setting up in the same mall.

Might be a fun sitcom.

Keeping the Faith / Mall rats crossover

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

I mean colonies have been a thing since at least coal mining existed, and I'm sure earlier concepts existed like it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

QuarkJets posted:

How much of this is also due to the average person getting a bit poorer each year, as the cost of living continues rising but inflation-adjusted wages stay the same?

It's also laziness. Driving to the mall, circling for parking, dealing with crowds, etc seems like a lot more work than just putting the item I want into google.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's funny that a list of malls in the twin cities didn't include the Mall of America

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeah, sure chief, we believe you. :jerkbag:
[/quote]

"If only MORE of the vast majority of people appropriately fluffed us then maybe we would have stayed"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sad that this, well, saddens me. As a man with huge feet who doesn't give a toss about fashion and only cares about plain black shoes that keep his feet warm and dry, they were grand. I genuinely am not sure where I'm going to get shoes from now on, and I've stocked up as I knew that this was coming. My one pair of winter boots needs replacing (I'd have them repaired if that was still a thing) and I can't nearly afford a really expensive but well-made pair of men's winter boots like in certain speciality shops.

Internet, and repairing shoes is definitely still a thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ryonguy posted:

Uh no. Unless you live in some strange Brigadoon--esque 1950's town that manifests only enough to get internet service.

Go Google "shoe repair" then amend this post.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I reeeeaaallly don't like buying any type of clothes online as I cannot try them on first and it's usually both costly and a pain in the arse to exchange/refund. As for the latter bit, I will look into it. Haven't a seen a shoemaker/cobbler/Duke of Wellington in yonks.

By the way, I am aware that Arthur Wellesley didn't invent wellies, he just made them famous.
I've brought this up before but just about everywhere I order from does free returns and exchanges. I just duct tape the return label right onto the box, or bag they came in, and drop it off at the post office when running some other errand.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that this was not directed at me per se, but I did and there are indeed a few places near me. However, these are cheap boots that would hardly be worth the time to repair and, even if they are repairable, it could very well cost more than I could afford or even paid for them.

I don't want to get too deep into your situation, but if you can make it through this season I would highly suggest trying to get quality boots for next winter. I also have big feet and can tell you first hand that size is part of the reason why you should spend the extra if you can, even cheap boots can be waterproofed, resoled, reinsulated, rewhatevered.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

New Balance has a good reputation, but get them at a discount and try to get them for your foot type- the run them on a pretty constant model churn.

They offer wide and narrow sizes which make them fit better and wear down less. Ime they're no better or worse than similar shoes at similar prices. But they said they were excited for Trump's ecconomics in 16 because some of their lines are made in America. This means they're now the official shoe of the chud. They immediately walked it back but the adoption is done.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lambert posted:

Does that mean the "New Balance" is more right-wing?

Just lol if you don't get your political analysis from anywhere other than fiveseventyfour.com

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh thank god, somewhere I can ethically buy athletic shoes! I'm going to buy three pairs and burn two and film it for the internet, just to be extra good

Loving how fast your posts on the issue have gone from uninformed to just straight poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

It was, alas, a joke. I will not be buying New Balance in the future, and will keep buying Brooks.

When you tell a joke and no one reacts maybe don't keep telling it over and over. We know it's a joke. Don't make it three times.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RandomPauI posted:

My feet are 4e, my option for new shoes that cost under $50 is limited to ~$50 New Balances when they go on sale.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Allow me to help

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Freakazoid_ posted:

:same:

Will they last longer than New Balance? Bought a pair almost a year ago and the inside is worn out pretty bad, but still holding together.

Insoles are cheap.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm wondering what the gently caress I'm supposed to do for ideal foot comfort since I have one foot that's size 8 and another that's 8 and a half, apparently.

Closed shoes and buy at the larger size.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishmech posted:

In reality it's always morally fine to pirate, and always legally not fine to pirate.

No it's not. Unless this is just some "no ethical consumption under capitalism" thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishmech posted:

Would you care to make a valid statement in defense of Bobby Kotick's next yacht?

I would like to make the argument that when I write something that I have the right to sell it, and that you can only sell the singular copy you bought from me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DrNutt posted:

Who "wrote" Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and who is actually getting paid for the tiny fraction of sales it's currently generating? Why should anyone be subsidizing Bobby Kotick's sex dungeons?

Labor has value, unless you have a boss?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishmech posted:

What's the relevance to piracy there? Few people are foolish enough to pay for "Abandonware".
Not all piracy is from abandonware? If you're just talking about abandonware then your complaints make more sense. But that's not the take away I got from what you said.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishmech posted:

Abandonware is a fake term people made up to justify piracy though? Like for real its almost all fully copyrighted games, with knowable rights holders, and much of it was/is stuff trivial to purchase if you were interested.

If you don't see the difference between pirating the latest game some guy just put out and some DBF reader microsoft stopped supporting a decade ago I don't know what to tell you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Invalid Validation posted:

Don’t defend big companies, IP law is designed to help big companies, not indie devs.

The fact that big companies abuse laws isn't an argument against the ethics the laws were based around. It's an argument to have better laws that better enforce the ethical behaviors we want. Specifically the one here that labor has value and until we live in the world where no one pays for anything you should have to pay for labor.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

If you don't see the difference I don't know what to tell you.

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no difference between them.
Then there's nothing more to say to you on this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
20 years, and then you can actively renew it, but any income is taxes at 100%. That means your Mary Sue-Wifu can provide for you for 20 years and then things go full deviant art Original Character (DO NOT STEAL) until your death.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do we not already allow a business to own stuff?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Schubalts posted:

Aren't you glad that there are commercials for a "home treatment option" that are trying to get people to believe that they don't have to go back to the doctor regularly while on chemo?

I thought they were referring to the Neulasta device they give you after certain chemotherapy sessions so that you don't have to come back the next day for a shot?
Or are you referring to the types of chemotherapy drugs that take so long to infuse they send the patient home with the pump?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

The stereotype is that it's destructive, but that's a side effect of a whole range of agents that have varying effect profiles.

I'm not an expert on cancer by any means, but there's basically a genre of pseudoscience that's "purgative" - this thing hurts/feels strange to do, so it must be either good for me, or killing the disease. It's important to emphasize that these other substances and methods aren't equivalent to chemotherapy just because they're destructive. See also: bleach enemas, all sorts of "cleanses" and "purges", self-destructive diets, etc.

It's not a stereotype it's simply what it is. Cancer cells metabolize stuff faster than the rest of your body, so if you literally inject yourself with poison the cancer will hurt more as you literally go scorched earth on your body in the hope that the problem areas die before you do. Cancer patients get nauseated because their body has trouble purging all the dead tissue. Their hair falls out as their bodies find themselves unable to service their extremities (this results in numbness in their fingers and toes too).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Instead of bland they should have gone slutty. What I'm hearing is it was a bad idea to let the whores out of the barn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or the one where they mysteriously forget to send you the bill until the fiscal year rolls over so you can pay for this and next year's oop maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I can't wait until there's too many streaming services and they have to start bundling themselves to be competitive and then we'll be dealing with cable 2.0