Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still don't know what this game *is*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I will only play Slipknot, the man who can climb anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I better be able to play as Slipknot, the man who can climb anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it seems *fine* but very generic. When it hits like $20, I might pick it up, but I am definitely not paying full price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

is that fortnight stuff the reason why there's a marvel is over hashtag trending on twitter?

drat RIGHT IT'S OVER

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Somewhere DT is screaming

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it $28 digitally? I don't buy spinning plastic discs in 2020.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like Avengers is $30 on Xbox too. I imagine it also is on PS4/5 but I haven't checked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bought the $70 version accidentally and I can't actually figure out how to access the PS5 Spider-Man which is kind of annoying!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Veotax posted:

I brought the disc version and it just came with a code I redeemed. I assume that buying the digital version just gives you both the Miles Morales and Spider-Man Remastered apps. Maybe it's in your game library on the PS5 and still needs to be installed/downloaded?

Yeah, I can see Spider-Man and it says it's PS4 version, which is what is confusing me. Sony has not done a good job with this transition.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I haven't checked, but that seems to be what to do, based on listening to podcasts and such. The greater point is that hiding the updated version under a menu is very stupid and bad, and Sony has done a bad job with this transition (though some of that can be attributed to third parties not doing free upgrades).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1343595383734366216?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

gonna steal/quote this for the funny panels thread

It's definitely been posted multiple times, but also definitely do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Flash game, but it's a puzzle where you "freeze time" and set things up like Quicksilver did in those X-Men movies to beat the baddies

Fake edit: Flash the character, not the terrible, dead tech

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I really hate cards. The little peek didn't look too bad though, but why cards instead of just regular menus?
Because cards give an element of randomization that a menu doesn't. You can like or dislike the mechanic, but it's a deliberate choice. I like cards and think they're neat. Still not sure about this for other reasons, but it could be fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Love playing XCOM and having no RNG to effect my gameplay at all *misses 99% shot*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Just going back to this, even this point isn't true.

If you are talking about the Fireaxis XCOM games there were easily situations where your sniper couldn't snipe. They hadn't reloaded on the last turn, you had to move them, an enemy used a power on them, they didn't have LOS etc...
There were all kinds of situations where you didn't have the chance to snipe and the action was denied to a player for a turn.

The card system is just a further abstration of this. "The rules say you can't do this thing you want to do this turn."
It's just more blatant about it.

TBF there is a difference between "I forgot to make my dude reload" and "I didn't get the right card" in terms of player agency, but I think both types of games are totally valid and fun and this looks cool to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Again, just play cards (or card based games) if you wanna do that. It's a different kind of fun.

I don't play board games or card based table top stuff and then wish that me and all my friends were all really at home doing it over the internet. Like, I can play poker over the internet but a big part of the fun, to me, is getting everyone together, exchanging money, telling jokes, making eye contact, drinking beer, bluffing and flipping your cards. I can shoot pool, or bowl on a Wii but going out and doing it is different and more fun.

Someone else mentioned how the card dynamic adds another unneeded layer or something to a medium that's already designed to be interactive, graphic and stat based that I thought was an apt description of my problem here.

Like, to me, playing a game like, say, Strat-O-Matic baseball on a computer feels cold, detached and impersonal without the dice and the cards. Same with chess or Axis & Allies. I like the tacit physical element to rolling dice, dealing cards and moving pieces around along with eating pizza with my friends but I also like tactical CPU games like Command & Conquer or Xcom where I can skip the setup or whatever. Playing Last Night on Earth, Ticket to Ride, Arkham Horror, Gloomhaven, Blood Bowl or Settlers of Cattan without anyone around would feel synthetic and impersonal. Unsocial. Different. And would defeat the purpose.

Playing Left 4 Dead, Street Fighter, Madden or Call of Duty is a different matter and a separate type of experience that I can only get from a video game. It's like playing D&D with your friends on a table with dice, books and character sheets instead of WoW, Neverwinter Nights or Skyrim. It's the whole Phil Hartman SNL skit they did where you read a virtual book next to a cpu/vr fireplace while smoking a cigar wearing a bathrobe and VR glasses that is totally more exciting than actually reading a book.

Which I can't find a link for but maybe someone knows about it.

Two things can be fun without needing to be combined. Adding card elements to video games is like adding explosion effects to chess. Similar to how I have no interest in playing board game versions of Tetris, PacMan, Asteroids or Galaga.

TL/DR: Play a game of cards if you want to do poker or MTG and build decks of cards.
Same, except instead of play a video game for children like XCOM why aren't you playing a real tactical game like Warhammer 40k, I ask totally not sounding like a dick!

Fun fact: If this game does not appeal to you, you do not have to play it! You can play XCOM! It's right there!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't mean to be condescending. Just chiming in with my own personal opinion and backing up goons who don;t want to play deck building games on their PC's and consoles with superhero games.

I don't see where I attacked anybody

:shrug:
There is a difference between "I do not like this, it is not for me and some of the others in this thread, and we are disappointed that it is not this other thing" and "It is bad, and you should do something else, and this game is terrible as a result" and you did the latter. You didn't attack anyone directly, you just came off as a condescending dick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In for both

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

The trailer had me thinking Kraven is the big bad for Spider-Man 2. Venom as playable character maybe?

He better have his fuckin' Kra-van

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

How is Michigan football doing?

Definitely not the better Wolverine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got mine a couple weeks after launch. I just followed @wario64 and saw their post that Amazon had them, and it came a couple days later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely approve of games getting announced a few months before release over years of waiting and hoping.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally a Spider-Man game where I can play as a nude bananaman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like the story and characters, but have found the moment to moment gameplay not very fun, and it's really put me off playing more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

"Can I trust this? Like what if I take this home and start it up and it's Splatoon or something."
Sounds like you got something better then

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Series S is easy to get, Series X less so, but not too bad. It's only PS5s that no one can buy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I have read very, very little stuff with Jason Todd in it, but didn't he initially have much lighter colored hair that Batman made him dye black so he'd look like OG Robin, back before Death in the Family?

No, that was something Morrison retconned in their run. Here's his first appearance:

EDIT: Actually, you're right. He had red hair pre-Crisis. That's his post-crisis origin.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 10, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's nowhere near big enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah the DLC is generally agreed upon to not be very good and most people seemed to get their fill from the main game and not bother revisiting it

That's kind of the thing with open world games: even the good ones you don't really hear about the DLC because only the super hardcore are going back for seconds so soon

Meanwhile Ubisoft is out here about to launch a 40-hour DLC on a game that was already 100 hours long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The base game is pretty easy, but in my old age, I'm way more likely to bounce off "too hard" than "too easy"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

If you use a costume someone designed in the comics you have to pay them.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think the only legally enforced royalties is for characters you created. It's all work for hire, so Warner Bros and Disney own the copyrights and trademarks.
No, work for hire means beyond the terms of an individual creator's contract, there is no expectation of royalties for any derivative works. Nothing is legally required at all. DC apparently had some more creator-friendly contracts in the 70s or 80s, but those have long since disappeared, and I'm sure both Marvel and DC have very much made this clear in their standard contracts. Warner/DC is *reportedly* better about attributing and paying creators for things they created that appeared in movies than Disney/Marvel, but from those same anecdotes, it seems to very much be a "doing the right thing" payment not a contractual one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Yes, the first game that can actually be played when your console's in rest mode.

Finally! I've been waiting for a console idle game!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Timely (ha) connections to the movies are gone in favour of making sure the games have time and care to be top tier.
Now explain Marvel's Avengers (mediocre at best) or Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (a very good B-tier game)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Nobody will ever complete it since nobody will ever want to play as Jason Todd.

Nah, DT is still out there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

The game is so next gen not even the PS5 can run it at 60

This thing was developed for the PS6

Neat I'll wait for the inevitable remaster and get it next gen.

(Who am I kidding? I'll play it when it's free on GamePass or PS++++)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midnight Suns reviews are dropping and they're generally positive.

Polygon

Gamespot

VGC

PC Gamer

Games Radar

RPG Site

IGN

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Pick him up and throw him?
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not far in MS (because I like to just do generic missions instead of story lol) but I like that everyone I have so far is pretty good. I can throw anyone on a team and succeed, even if some aren't as easy as others. I am playing on Normal difficulty, though. I imagine this changes with harder difficulties.