Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The entire Pacific Northwest coast is going to be totally isolated because every road and power line running across the coast range will be severed by a major earthquake. They'll need helicopters to bring in food and water and/or evacuate the survivors west of the coast range.

Progressive JPEG posted:

FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million.

It's adorable you guys think the Trump Whitehouse will do anything at all when this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pryor on Fire posted:

The cyclists around here do this terribly annoying thing where they feel like they can cut the double line on windy two lane roads, why they think this is a good idea on blind turns is beyond me, gotta shave .2 seconds off the downhill I guess? Like five or six a year get merked doing this and clipping an oncoming car so you'd think they'd learn but nope.

Those 5 or 6 probably do learn, albeit for a very brief period.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

HR's job is to filter the ever-living gently caress out of candidates to "avoid wasting anyone's time." the HR people have absolutely nothing to gain from a successful hire, but they will be blamed if anything goes wrong with an individual candidate. so it's in their best interest to aggressively filter out anyone who asks for a nickel more than the salary band on the internal req. if that means there are no candidates remaining, that's ok, it's "a tight market"

Clearly we need more H1Bs! :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A guy was hired along with me but ghosted on our start date.

Turns out he was in jail on a DUI (which, here in Wisconsin, is quite an achievement).

:cop:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

he's not wrong though. mcmansions are some of the worst constructed homes ever

mlyp

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

lol at presenting career advancement as quitting. mobility is leverage that gets you better conditions, whether or not you exercise it. if your employer recognizes your value, they should give you equal value to retain you (in whatever form, money, working conditions, ball pits).

you move around until you find the right fit for you, and you stay there until it isn't right anymore. if you're just looking to quit all the time people will notice and let you go.

It seems like you're describing the article pretty well, but your "lol" indicates you disagree?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TerminalRaptor posted:

my biggest fear about job hoping is resetting the vacation accruement.

even if you negotiate for a larger time off plan aren't you stuck at the regular schedule for additional time? "oh cool only 5 more years and I get a whole 3 more days off per year" :(

So make whatever you feel is an appropriate amount of PTO and rate of increase part of your salary negotiations: 10 days the first year (or 15 or whatever), 15 the second year, etc.

I mean, I'm a scrub-tier server monkey in Milwaukee and even I managed that. PTO is a cheap perquisite to give out.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 28, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Applied for a job for the first time in like 2 years. Tired of lovely hours, no promotion-track, and no non-COLA raises.

:woop:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I once worked for a place that did a one half of one percent match. And yes, I clarified that it wasn't a 50% match up to x-dollars or y%.

The HR guy actually got all :smuggo: about it, like: "Check us out, loving our people over".

I mean, I still worked there and left for different reasons (working for a VAR is poo poo) but goddamn.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://twitter.com/theryanrobinson/status/893497518197268485

Get hosed, Tony.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

how long do y'all wait after an application, or after an interview, before you accept/decide that you're not gonna hear anything ever from that company, and move on

i still want to find employment at IGT here but it's been a week and a half since I submitted my app and I haven't heard a peep

it's been so long since i've job hunted that i've even forgotten basic poo poo like this, lomarf

The key is to hope without expectation. That makes the inevitable eventual rejection (if they even bother to do so) a little easier.

:sigh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
gently caress your recruiter and cum in him/her/however they self-identify.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

go to an auto parts store, get a couple of those stick on round blind spot car mirrors, and put them on the edges of your monitor

I can never remember which corner on the mirror these are supposed to go. Bottom car-side right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

if you're lucky you get to pick two out of "nice, affordable, well-paying".

Sapozhnik posted:

detroit

you wanna program car firmware i'm sure it pays pretty drat well especially when you can buy a house downtown for like $50

Affordable and nice?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Janitor Prime posted:

need another housing crash before I buy

This. And I'm in loving Milwaukee where it's already cheap as gently caress (relative to proper cities).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

Milwaukee is good, people never believe me and then they visit and go "huh, it's actually good". It's not that expensive to live in and it's got a lot of cool poo poo. You just have to deal with the rest of WI that isn't Madison or Green Bay (only for the Packers) existing.

Green Bay is literally an on/off ramp, a lovely UW campus (somehow even worse than UWM :laffo:) and Lambeau.

That and a CVS full of people with a methamphetamine abuse disorder.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

I'm finding myself having to go out of my way on a weekly basis to follow up with a lot of companies because they haven't done the things they said they would do. I understand that companies are busy and jobseeking time is longer than company time, but like when someone tells you that they'll send you an assignment within 2-3 days and more than a week goes by with no word, then you check in and they say "yes it's still in the works, sorry about this" that there's a serious communication problem somewhere within the company.

:redflag::hf::sever:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Steve Jorbs posted:

Today I was speaking to a coworker that told me they are interviewing a candidate tomorrow and are trying to think of RANDOM WACKY questions to ask like, "Batman vs. Spiderman, GO!"

Suggest asking the interviewee: "Which of my [the interviewer] many failures most bothers my mom and/or dad?".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I applied for some jobs that I didn't meet all the requirements for, mostly experience. Also one job that involves remaking old mainframe applications into fresh, shiny, RESTful Java webservices, it asked for COBOL and some old IBM languages.

Aren't you MKE?

You want the employer who offers those jobs that 's further east, not the one in Brookfield.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

The place I applied to is not in Brookfield. It's Franklin and/or Milwaukee.

Oh. That company is a great place to work. Also a really nice facility. Free lunch, lots of parking (never really a problem in MKE).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, at 2 which is when I normally leave

So, how did the interview go?

:allears:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

It was a phone screen.

Skipping dinner in favor of taking in the rear end on a first date will not get him to marry you. Interviews are the same way. Don't be anyone's bitch.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

New company is pretty good, they are all really smart guys but there's a couple of scary disconnects between sales and development. Was chatting with the CEO about it and he agreed was like "yeah, r&d sometimes don't seem to understand that sales requirements very often drives priorities". He then drove me home.

Did he get fresh with you?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

No he really likes me.

Some CEOs will say anything to get in your pants. If he really did like you he'd respect your decision.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

hey the stack of figgies in my closet is getting too large. where is the financial advice thread? tia

Just put it in a Vanguard fund numbered around when you want to retire. Google "Backdoor Roth" also.

Remember that you can't time the market (no one can) unless you have insider information (and you don't because you wouldn't be posting on a dead gay forum if you did), shoot for an index fund.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

you ask people what they're working on, tell them it's cool, then mention what you are working on, wait for them to say "holy poo poo that's way cooler", then do a 360 and moonwalk your way out of there

Also, text pictures of your :flaccid: to that cute HR generalist at the Corporate HQ around 3:30 AM.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jre posted:

Jesus christ that username post combo :eyepop:

Actually, I specified flaccidity rather than tumescence?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So do we know what Stymie actually does?

My money is on senior software developer engineer at Uber, an MBA in MIS, and a former TKE brother.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I used to dig ditches. You get a good tan and you don't have to go to the gym after work.

OTOH figgies

The happiest job I ever had was as a parkie during high school. Spearing trash and setting up snow-fence (to retain crowds at the lakefront) wasn't that bad and during the school year I worked part-time as a parking booth guy on the weekends.

Smoked pot and listened to NPR.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cis autodrag posted:

is India one of those places with a food culture thdt requires you to eat super loud? there's a couple guys who sit near me that eat so loud they can't just be not closing their mouths, it has to be that they're deliberately being noisy. it drives me insane. i think eating at your desk is really bad etiquette in a shared space, especially when you have a nonstop stream of snacks all day.

The wily asiatic only respects force. Kick the rear end of the smaller of the two men and make your demands known as you stand athwart his crumpled, unconscious body.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 31, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gonadic io posted:

It's traditional to print letters of resignation from work printers right?

Yes, unless your organization has a working fax machine in which case a fax-loop is more appropriate.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Aaand I was correct. Just got a call from recruiter saying they went with someone else. Don't think I'd want to work at a place that does that anyway

Well, an offer was in progress. Just not an offer to you?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Basically. Ill still have a call with the guy next week because I've know him and the VP for that stuff for almost 5 years now through my PhD work. Mad that they'd do that to me tho.

gently caress 'em. Put them on speakerphone, tea-bag the phone, send them a video.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Tempting. They would probably just lose it though

Goddamn man, you're getting a PhD, show some initiative: post it as a review on their company Facebook?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JawnV6 posted:

one time, as a result of delaying selecting an option for a work bonus, i ended up with $1400 in olive garden gift cards

:thumbsup:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
For the first time in two years I applied for somewhere and I just got called to schedule a phone screen.

:ohdear::hf::yotj:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dislike button posted:

get really drunk before the interview to calm your nerves and boost your confidence

Solid advice, will try.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Just name this "Resume (Name) (Date)" and send it: http://www.scs.stanford.edu/~dm/home/papers/remove.pdf ?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kudaros posted:

I'm about to wrap up a phd that has a huge machine learning component. Like not exactly research into algorithms (although this is debatable) . I'm applying for jobs now. Haven't done it in so long I forgot what it felt like (miserable)

I'm looking for all sorts of jobs ranging from climate research postdocs, materials stuff, to data science-y positions in industry.

There's this thing sometimes where they have a position that says "Data Science Analyst" and the description is typical of other data science positions. Is tacking "analyst" at the end of that a way of trying to pay me less or what?

Analyst or Administrator is under Engineer which is under Architect, pay scaled accordingly.

This is in the server janitor world though, YMMV?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is it even worth applying for a GS job without vet points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

of all the interns I've seen come and go, the one I remember best is the one who chugged the bottle of barbecue sauce on a dare

Same but ghost pepper salsa.

• Locked thread