Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

tfw most company changes would be a massive downgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jimmy Carter posted:

the purpose of your job is to get a better job

what if there isn't really a better job

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

this morning's LinkedIn idiocy

note that he said "we" and "our" in his first email, but now he wants to represent me because he's a third party scumbag

the messages i get are hilariously awful for completely different reasons

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bone app the teeth posted:

yeah i actually worked there about 4 years ago and i was the first employee who quit that was "eligible for rehire"

i've been surprised at how few ruby jobs there are in my area. and i'll probably be doing iOS anyway so whatever

ruby is pretty much dead at this point unless you love working on lovely legacy apps with unintelligible code

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

part of me is debating applying to smaller companies partly because I could use a raise cause I'm underpaid and can't rely on getting one (I also haven't interviewed in a long rear end time so practice helps), but in more general terms the companies would probably all be downgrades so it feels like why bother :\

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I sent my resume out for the hell of it to one place where I could do c# remotely, mostly just to get a sense of how strong it looks to other companies these days, and had a response (presumably from the CEO) within a few hours (this is pared down in spots so as to not copy it wholesale)

"interview process involves several steps...first step is a four hour project...at home on your own computer and using the tools you're most familiar with...two versions of the small project:

- backend project focused on basic data processing in C# using ASP.NET MVC.

- frontend engineering project where you'll be working with HTML/CSS/your preferred Javascript framework; requires a small backend API (preferably written in C#)

If your project is strong, we will schedule a project debrief with our team...will ask you questions about your code.

...final stage is a half day of interviews with our engineering team (each one 30-60 minutes)...will cover areas including your past work, programming fundamentals, skills required to work effectively in an engineering team, as well as cultural and mission alignment."

so I can use "the tools I'm familiar with" as long as it's what they say I should use. I haven't written a line of html/css/js in like three years and I've barely touched asp.net mvc, although I could probably figure it out, but this process is first four hours which is realistically 8-10 to do right if you haven't touched the framework, get grilled on said code, then get grilled further for half a day

interviews are garbage

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my bs cs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

take home projects should clearly have no practical application. I'm not doing free work for you.

also you better have a pretty loving compelling position for me to even consider doing a take home project. if your recruiter hit me up and is trying to convince me to give your company a shot, there's no way I'm doing that.

to me the short of it is that I've never used asp.net mvc and it should be pretty clear from my resume that I haven't. otoh, I have worked on oss and there's virtually no reason I should need to do a take home when past work is publicly visible. if someone wants to question me on aspects of it, they can go right ahead, but I'd expect them to do that any way. the funny/lovely thing is that the job posting explicitly mentioned contributions to oss yet apparently they aren't even taking it into consideration when interviewing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cheque_some posted:

pyf responses to some of these ridic questions I got for a pre-interviewing screening

1. Windows 10
4. 4.20.6.9

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just get paid to work on open source all day

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

lamo at dealing with that community for a living

agreed

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

detroit loving sucks and is not actually a city but rather a big suburb

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly ftw

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

I work for money. how do I make the most money

suck them off

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

you should know that HFT will get you the most money though so go use some f#/ocaml

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MrMoo posted:

These have worked well for showing off to HR,

i) What efforts do you extend in educational, humanitarian and general charitable aid? For example as a technology organisation do you promote the mission of Code.org?

ii) How do you promote health and fitness in the workplace? Do employees partake in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge or similar?

code.org is dumb bullshit for driving down wages and making the quality of an average programmer even worse than it already is and if you think it's some noble thing then lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lancemantis posted:

also an old dude that liked wearing multiple belts

anime is real

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

nice

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

what is :jeb: stuff btw

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Maximo Roboto posted:

Glassdoor, LinkedIn Careers, Stack Overflow Jobs. Hacker News Who's Hiring? pages but it seems like the listings are heavily int'l and in American non-tech cities these days

SO is the one I will unequivocally recommend every time. Most of the companies on there will be smaller but there's usually a number of good options depending on what sort of position/location you're looking for and they make remote opportunities very clear. HN has a ton of companies posting now but after you've seen a few months' worth of threads you'll start to notice that a very large number of the same companies will post the same positions month in and month out, meaning they're not hiring and trying to keep up appearances or maybe they're just expecting too much because it's the HN crowd and they must all be 100x developers.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

HN who's his hiring + the yc alumni job posts are all pretty good. Weworkremotely is good for remote.

No job sites have zero poo poo-tier jobs tho, so do your homework. No pun intended. :riker:

A lot of the alumni posts are rehashes as well that are just more publicly visible. WeWorkRemotely is okay but most of the dev jobs are still Ruby/JS/PHP the last I was aware and SO is way better now on remote listings.

FamDav posted:

alternatively they are hiring and they nobody is willing to take the job

i remember when zerocater had jobs posts for VP of engineering lol

This too is possible if not likely

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

phoenix is great if you love driving a half hour to get anywhere

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

cool, that's good to know. i was very dispirited looking at housing and seeing nothing but McHouses and Condos, but that probably can't be helped.

How is the Mexican food? this is important.

i had pretty good mexican food at a place in what was iirc near downtown phoenix

the airport is pretty bad and you really do have to drive everywhere. f you want to be in downtown phoenix you can probably get something decent for cheap. it seems extremely boring there though so unless you really like the family you have in that area i wouldn't move if you aren't feeling super great about it to begin with.

also they have dashboard carpets in their cars because the heat will destroy them within a year or two otherwise. lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

arizona is a terrible state that no one should live in

phoenix.mp4

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

zero, not a good culture fit

good luck

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

greetings of the day! i found your resume on job portal, find the details:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Munkeymon posted:

this is the sort of recruiter spam that made me aware of King of Prussia, PA

largest mall in america in terms of leasable space

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

minivanmegafun posted:

is there some tech presence there because this, too, is how I learned of King of Prussia

just lockheed martin

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i had been paying into a stock purchase program that only vests (or whatever) every 6 months so i just got refunded all that money. so i actually lost out on maybe a grand (but saved myself the hassle of having to sell stocks).

i can't figure out if espps are particularly worth it. unless you can drop very large amounts in i feel like it's better to just max out your 401k and save?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

theyre worth it if you work at a Real Company™ whose stock price is continuing to increase

i would need to calculate what my gains would be

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

my company has a really good espp + growing stock price and i make a good chunk of change every 6 months just immediately selling the stock

i think i could get like a couple hundred or so a quarter at best. it's not nothing but it's also not really amazing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

i make a lot more than that

yeah

in the grand scheme of things i can't bitch about what i'm paid but it's drastically less than what a lot of other people make

mishaq posted:

it's not that i don't "trust" it, but playing speculative buyer of my own company's stock and holding it for over a year just for some preferential tax treatment isn't worth it in my eyes

would you buy that same amount of stock at a non-discounted price?

as far as i understood the goal of espp was always sell asap, and also never have more than 10% of your portfolio in your own company's stock as a general guideline

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

on the whole my benefits are kinda poo poo and it pisses me off

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

qirex posted:

wow I might get 9 grand after taxes if I stay at this bad company for 2 more years and all other things go exactly as planned

that's kinda me except it's worse lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

dev evangelist is a million times less bullshit of a title than growth hacker tbh

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

apparently i was still logged into the red hat irc months after my departure.

i forgot that I'd set a logout message (which had never been seen or used because I had persistent IRC setup via an internal proxy thing), so one day months after my departure the proxy crashed, i finally got logged out, and apparently my final message was "bye haters."

lol

how was it working for red hat overall? i'm just curious. i forget the reasons you wanted out of there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

think how good it will feel to never work at epic again

or having to live in madison

• Locked thread