Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Shaman Linavi posted:

probably the math test

related, i applied for a job that had me take 2 SAT style test things, one of which i had to take while on webcam.
i got a nice email back from the parent company asking me to never apply at them or their subsidiaries ever again

at my new job i took a remotely proctored certification test (laptop webcam and separate usb webcam watching you, proctor asks you to move usb webcam to get shots of whole room at random intervals)

partway through the test, the connection to the proctor VPN was lost, cue me sitting there for 15 min not knowing what to do bc the strict instructions regarding not loving with the test laptop. Apparently the tech people on the proctors side were trying to get a hold of someone and when I called them they were like "yeah do the thing the instructions tell you not to do, OK its fixed now." At least they were nice enough to give me the time back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

amazon suuuuuucks do not work for them or normalize their hiring process

do tell so I may avoid

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

for a cert exam I understand bc they have to come up with a way to remotely proctor it but for an interview holy loving moly

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

the only place i worked at that required me to drop was probably the most decent to work stress/demand wise, thankfully the recruiter gave me a heads up and some tips, beating drug tests is super easy when you're white

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

probably because if they didn't it would be the final nail in the coffin that they are incredibly ineffective from a legal standpoint lol

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

my last job was sorta like this but it was an old supervisor hitting me up and going 'hey, do you want this job where you work 9-5 M-F, real benefits, and never get called outside of work?' haha later suckers

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

best to decline if there isn't someone over 40 on the interview loop

what if the only over 40 is some SVP or C-level trying to read you

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I went from $9/hr to ~$95k in about a decade, I got no complaints

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

just started newjob yesterday, how typical is it that you dont do poo poo for the first while?

pretty typical, amplify it if its a big company

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Bloody posted:

tbh this question is hard to answer because working is an unending cycle of breaking something by accident and then fixing it i would be completely incapable of picking a single example of it for talking about in an interview

I usually just make something up by picking something that did happen but embellishing the gently caress out of it because I know what they're looking for me to say

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

fyi, yoga pants are actually significantly warmer than jeans in the winter. women's denim is super thing compared to men's stuff but most yoga pants (lulu aside) are decently thick. it's all anyone wears in the winter around here. if u gents arent ashamed of ur junk u should try them on because they are comfortable as gently caress too.

I got a pair of those jeans with the flannel lining on the inside they are warm as gently caress

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

I thought this was passed or am I thinking just a state?

I think only CA has mandated sick leave, my company has an office in San Francisco so they have to include all the info for California time off stuff separately

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Stymie posted:

dunning kruger kind of breaks down when there's no meaningful difference between competence and incompetence such as with computer touching

when i hit 30 i had this epiphany that I spent my 20s working my rear end off when i could have probably slacked off the entire time and still been on a similar, if more muted, career trajectory as a mediocre computer toucher :smith:

the job will not save you, etc

Progressive JPEG posted:

just work somewhere else for a year then come back

or just work somewhere else

this is what I am going to tell any of my coworkers that don't get promotions this round

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I got a buddy in madison who does point of sale IT for woodmans and im pretty sure they treat him better than your average dev at epic

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

well ya woodmans is employee owned and if you are through your "probationary" period you get the same perks as anyone else. they are loving hella lovely to people who haven't hit that 6-month probation end date though and churn through basic level checkers and stockers like crazy.

yeah thats basically how he described it to me, after the six months he really didn't have any reason to go anywhere else, he's been working there since high school so he's stacking that retirement money like crazy. the funny part is that woodmans has really cheap fancy booze so hes buying poo poo like patron and deaths door constantly now

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

grats cad u did it ur finally free

youll finally be able to buy alcohol between 9 PM and 2 AM (and also, weed!)

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

yeah, once i actually get the relocation and signing bonus i should be fine, but we didn't exactly plan to be short on july 1st and most of our bills are due that week. i'll figure something out, but i'm more just frustrated at how epic just relentlessly kicks you in the dick and then wonder why their turnover is huge and their reputation sucks.

probably has to do with why theyre hqed in madison

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

dont worry, the spca will happily provide you a template

better hope your previous landlord won't black ball you and fail to give you a reference

the first landlord I had in chicago was a property management company so they didn't care. all the second one asked was if my cats shots were up to date.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

The Bay Area ISP selection algorithm:

1) Am I in the area for sonic.net fiber? Hooray.
2) Am I in the area for AT&T gigabit? Ok then.
3) Am I in the area for Astound Cable? Not too bad.
4) Will work pay for home internet or do I need it reliable? -> Comcast Business Class
5) Well gently caress this sucks: -> Comcast Residential

Note that, because this is America, you will basically never ever have more than one of the above options at once.

chicago is pretty much the same but replace sonic.net with some fiber service I forget the name of and replace Astound with RCN

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

oh neat a video on my facebook feed popped up from barstool sports and it was a girl at the club peeing into an empty glass of water nice to know i will get texts over the weekend to make sure people can share such amazing content on facebook, twitter, and instagram

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

you can do it pretty much anywhere, but it depends on what part of the city you are in. you can live in Austin without a car, I have done it, but 95% of people don't because most of the housing stock is suburban and public transit sucks, but there are other options (ride share, car2go, bicycle) that work well in the central parts of town. most people just freak out when you tell them to roll their car cost into paying for somewhere closer in and to get rid of the car.

I'm probably only going to get a car if I ever leave the city, I work remotely so it's certainly a possibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

my companys second biggest office is just north of heathrow. I assume its just like working just outside of ohare :(

• Locked thread