Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think the fact that she's alive recontextualizes the scene where she gets the phone call from Jill and Tommy. I originally read it as "My kids are fine, they don't need me anymore, just like the world in general has no need for people like me anymore," but now I think it's more "who the gently caress cares if everything I thought I 'knew' about the world has been thrown to the wind? I know that I have people who love me and that's all that has ever really mattered anyway."

e: Although that scene was always ambiguous, the later reveal of Laurie being alive I think solidifies it

Yeah some people were aggressively certain she killed herself. I thought she did but was always open to the possibility that she didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

When Kevin said "i believe you" i howled and let loose a torrent of tears not unlike a small waterfall. Thank you damon lindloft.

Not coincidently the part in The Constant in Lost where Desmond says to Penny "You believed me." had the same effect on me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Also in terms of realism the fact she yelled something in the machine right before they cut the scene, well, she has to hold her breath for 30 seconds or her lungs will fill up with a fluid that will harden and kill her, so once she screams they probably have to slam the stop button on that whole procedure. But I don't know if they really intend for us to think about these aspects of this.

The lungs hardening is only IF you breath in or swallow the liquid. I.E. what happens if you fail to hold your breath once you are submerged and the device activates.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I think The Leftovers....might be the best show HBO has ever produced? It's definitely all time top three overall.

Swap "humanity" for HBO, go with "is" instead of might be, and I'd agree.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This was a great ride and a great thread.

Oliwan I hope you continue to find TV shows you find so moronic and poorly written. I'm sure for an individual with such a refined palate and discriminating tastes you will have no difficulties in that regard. It clearly gives you great joy. Keep up the good fight against peasants like us.

Maybe if we are lucky we can someday enjoy your fiction when people recognize true talent like yours and abandon phonies and hacks like Lindelof and Perrota.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I fully agree with your thinking, but devil's advocate, this dude went through a machine that might kill him because he was depressed and broken, not because he was a scientist passionate about a discovery.

Yeah, which dovetails nicely with correct answer to the question being who cares about babies or cancer, I want out of here.

Plus the process requires a suspension of irradiated metal particles, right? I'm guessing that kind of stuff isn't easy to gather with only 2% of the population, it probably couldn't be done to scale even if they wanted too.

Plus might the visitors in 2% land either be lying about how they got there to the departed or not believed by anyone even if they were telling the truth?

Most people probably had no desire to risk the machine again if they found who they were looking for. Nora is the only one who didn't have a reason to stay in 2% world.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wow, curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough! While hammering out what I thought was a good post I can see I am late to the party.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Canadian Surf Club posted:

btw, answering my own question above, Sean Collins has a great write-up on the episode and is well worth the read:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/the-leftovers-series-finale-recap-the-book-of-nora.html

:vince:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah you'd have to be a dog idk

Dog Sniper was right the whole time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

Taking Nora's story at face value really is extremely retarded and demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the finale that has to be, I imagine, the product of a severely broken brain. It also totally diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

You should go gently caress yourself. It must really gnaw at you that you'll never be as good at anything as Lindelof is at writing TV.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This is heresy but I haven't seen Season One of TD. I enjoyed Season Two, though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It's pretty fun that the two creators both so clearly believe opposite things about the ending. For me personally it makes its ambiguous nature even more effective and satisfying.

Our very own Locke and Jack.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Klungar posted:

Lindelof's post-Leftovers project will be adapting the graphic novel Watchmen (previously adapted as a movie by Zack Snyder) as a TV series for HBO.

I want to be excited about this because I love Lindelof and like Watchmen but the movie was so good I feel like we don't actually need this.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lindelof has a lifetime blank check with me. I will watch whatever he does.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Maybe that can be shot and included as a bonus on the series box set.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

imo the worst Emmy nom this year is fuckin' Barb from Stranger Things

Wait, that really happened? NFW

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Who loves ya, baby? The friggin' Television Academy, that's who!

When I was in middle school I would pretend to be him and prank call The Players Club International.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

If not him, who else would be a good fit?

I thought Michael Giacchino's work on Lost was superb.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Friendly PSA: Kevin Carroll is super nice on Twitter.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Popelmon posted:

28 :eng101:.

The low number of episodes really makes it more appealing to rewatch. I kinda want to rewatch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad but there are just so many god drat episodes, I don't have time for that!

Try the X-Files, 9 classic seasons and two full length motion pictures. :psyduck:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Well that’s mostly true, and the way I felt about about it when I first watched it, the first 3-4 season myth-arc episodes are pretty drat good. With that said, most if not all of the series best episodes are standalone “monster of the week” episodes.

I know it is praised to the point of making it the obvious pick, but the episode Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose is a start to finish masterpiece of storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Surprising opinions. I think Season 1 was the least Lindelof and I love Lindelof. Season 2 was a perfect season of TV and International Assassin was the best episode of any show I’ve ever seen.

• Locked thread