Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie looks dumb, and the trailer looks to be some kinda of Harrison ford reveal to get you happy for a sequel to a movie that was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ryan Gosling is a replicant?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Timby posted:

Jesus goddamn Christ.

You make a $200 million sequel to a film that almost no one saw when it was in theaters, and on top of that you have it run for almost three hours? What in the blue hell.

Maybe they are going for the long and boring movie remake angle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was a pretty good movie, alot more watchable than Blade Runner.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It was a pretty long movie but nothing really felt that boring, except for the first time he goes to his apartment.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

Remember like 6 years ago every summer movie was like 3 hours long and they were all huge piles of poo poo? I'll take Blade runner any day.

What movies? Or is this just some hasty generalization? Scary movie ain't no 3 hours long.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

I'm talking summer epic kind of movies. There was certainly a stretch after Braveheart and then again after Lord of the Rings where a lot of movies were really drat long and mostly devoid of substance.

So 6 years ago braveheart came out? LOTR/Hobbit came out in December. Mmm Denny's Hobbit menu. I don't recall any summer movie being over 3 hours long.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Steve Yun posted:

Basically just Peter Jackson movies

They didn't come out during the summer though. LOTR is one hell of a 'summer epic kind of movie'.

I thought it would make more sense if the sexbot K sexes up, is the child, her bangs were the same as Rachael. Why would the rebel leader hide the child in some hamster ball? She's out making her work her womb. The memory gal did say that she was one of places that make memories for the robots.

Would kinda make sense if all the rebellion robots all thought they were Rachael's child too. Its kinda creepy. They are raising an army of Snakes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 7, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What would be their goal though? To make new robots in a factory that can breed or do some kind of upgrade on the other older models? It's like they are almost just doing the same thing the evil corporation Wallace guy is trying to do. At least hes trying to push humanity to the stars. The rebels are trying to pull a skynet on humanity.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cacator posted:

The main difference is that Wallace wants to keep them enslaved

He had some with some degree of freedom though. Its not like he had them in chains. Somehow he would stop them from escaping? Wouldn't they just escape and breed anyway? He would just make some huge robot sex factory?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

Ryan Gosling could have spent about five fewer minutes staring at furnaces.

The music got so loud during that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Linguica posted:

I know her entire raison d'etre is to be a perfect CGI waifu but that means I didn't "believe" a single thing she ever said or did was anything more than just her programming doing what it was supposed to be doing. I can't get emotionally involved with a character when I don't believe there's any glimmer of real consciousness there. I know this ties into the themes of Blade Runner and humanity and all that stuff, but it prevented me from responding to it.

They showed that the Luv was monitoring the chatbot. I think someone already implied that they made it to trick a robot to reveal itself as the Rachael spawn but they never knew for sure one existed until the movie started.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I prefer to believe JOI's love for K was real because it's more interesting to me that it was. Although it's obviously meant to be vague.

It felt real to K. Prob as real as replicants feel like humans.

Timespy posted:

Just saw the movie. Anybody else think that the scene with the trash hover-barges was a reference to Soldier?

The world building perfectly lines up with solider.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Acer Pilot posted:

Had the same thought. We're there any Alien tie ins as well?

If it ties in to Solider, it ties into everything. Solider is like the tofu of sci fi movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Krazyface posted:

Re. Deckard being a replicant - no, they don't really confirm either way. His age, his living in an irradiated town, his fight with K, the importance of his child with Rachael--all these can be explained whether he is or isn't.

Hes not. His partner knows he thinks of unicorns when he drinks because he is simply his partner. I like how they were similar, his partner made origami animals and deckard being more down to earth, he carved animals.. It was all made to fit in with everything, you can watch any version of bladerunner and it fits in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

starkebn posted:

the prostitute

shes the child. The memory maker person is just one of the memory designers.

Steve Yun posted:

K was slowly dying in the snow

He lived. They don't show him die.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's too bad he won't live. But then again who does?

That fits in so well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gorn Myson posted:

He dies. If the acting doesn't imply it, the music does. Its the same song that played when Roy Batty died

He was just laying down, was like a normal day for him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Alien Covenant is the kind of hot garbage that BR2049 is critiquing in its subtext. The scene where Luv executes Rachel isn't even subtle, it's in your face.

Alien series is known for their robot fights, please.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie is so good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Recently saw the martian, it wasn't that bad even though it really over used some music on some parts. Nice to see Ridley make a simple movie instead of whatever he was attempting to do with prometheus.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 31, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm pretty sure this was my favorite movie of last year. Just love everything about it. Even somehow I also like Jared in it because his part is so small and he does it good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Origami Dali posted:

But I found the weakest part to be the one eyed woman just plopping the replicant revolution subplot into the movie out of nowhere. It wasn't set up well at all.

She didn't actually drop that plot point. The police chief says, find and kill this child because if it is alive, a war will happen. IE a rebellion! It is basically the entire plot of the movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 19, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Origami Dali posted:

Wright's warning about a war struck me as a fear of the likely inevitability, not that she was afraid of a literal army that already existed. The movie gave us no sense of immediate danger there. Most of the tension in the second act comes from believing K is the child and what will happen to him, not the fear of war. And Wright's fear that the news of the replicant birth would leak seemed to be focused on Wallace Corp finding out, for some reason, and not a replicant army who already knows about it anyway.

I'm not saying they didn't try to set it up, but it's pretty weak, which is why that replicant rebel scene is so jarring.

So you accept the police chief foresaw a war would break out over the child but you can't accept that the police chief didn't think that they would already be forming an group even though they have known about the child the entire time? Literally the only people who recently learn the child exists are the bad guys and the first thing they do is start trying to kill their way to the child. The whole K thinks he is a child is just on top of that as a red herring.

The opening scene is a robot man fighting for a cause because he saw a miracle. Hes not trying to just hide to just stay alive, hes fully aware of the plan and the child. It is literally the first things that happen in the movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Origami Dali posted:

Thinking about it further, I'm not sure what Wright's motivation to stop Wallace from finding the child is.

She says her job is to keep the peace and the child existing would harm that.

Everything you are missing is basically spelled out at the start of the movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 20, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Mass Effect 2 is the best whole game experience in the series, in my opinion. I could argue that ME2 had the most difficult/fun combat of the series and that ME3/MEA both improved the combat greatly but severely lacked the good story.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Not to ruin the metaphor but the snow is also a visual motif Denis Villeneuve likes as a Montrealer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zooQSyenyE

Especially rain/snow mix.

I love Hugh Jackman and his revenge beard.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

androo posted:

Did this movie answer the Deckard replicant question officially? Watched last night, loved it, but couldn't pick up some dialog.

Deckard is human.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I loved the whole movie and if you didn't like any of it you're wrong!

I believe you are correct.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vivisectvnv posted:

not going to read the rest of the thread, but i'm assuming their is a general consensus of gently caress JARED LETO

but if that hasn't been brought up yet, gently caress JARED LETO

I thought he was fine, he was alot better than what he did in suicide squad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Revolution plan sounds alot better than killing people until death plan in the first movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The entire movie is about the revolution coming from the existence of a replicant baby. The first scene has K trying to arrest a replicant guarding a tomb of a replicant that gave birth. The revolution was already in planning way before the start of the movie. It's not like it just happens at the end, its only revealed to K at the end.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 15, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's wildly overstating it. The personal relationship between K and Joi, Deckard's relationship with his daughter, there's a bunch going on in the movie that isn't about the revolution.

K finds a replicant that gave birth, police chief tell him to find it and kill it because it will cause a revolution. When K alerts company about a replicant they believe had the ability to give birth, they steal all evidence collected on it. Company CEO want the baby to revolutionize his replicant growing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Already happened its call The Animatrix: The Second Renaissance and The Terminator.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The band of revolutionaries predate the film. They didn't form because he found out about the replicant child.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He comes off as knowing they are disposable people so hes trying to get as a far as he can with them. I wouldn't say he looks down on them in a completely disrespectful way but he doesn't really hesitate to gut one. I think he believes they are lesser but he is still trying to create them more in his image. If he got access to making babies parts I think he would do something kinda cruel but he also seems to think they are the only hope to getting out to space. I figure he would have to see the positive in that and I don't know how he could control them light years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I recently rewatched the movie and got into an argument about this: are the Wallace replicants build to be more obidient than the ones from the Nexus series? The movie just says that "they obey" and my impression is that they are just kept in line better through constant psychological monitoring and conditioning, but other than that, they are just as dangerous. That would fit in perfectly with the whole movie theme of walls and prisons that exist only in our minds.

They are made to obey, there was a short thing showing this before the movie was released. How he did it is anyone's guess. I highly doubt alot of people saw this before seeing the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 6, 2018

• Locked thread