Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Leperflesh posted:

yeah. In the sense that the company is making money for its investors, which is its fundamental purpose and legal obligation to try to do.

what if this is actually bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the amount of short-term gouging they're willing to do fluctuates (although it's been well above the norm for > a decade now) but the core problem of GW remains unchanged, which is that they don't give a poo poo about game design and are therefore extremely bad at it

that is, the problem from the point of view of "should you buy their games". they seem okay at making money for their shareholders, which doesn't seem very important to anyone who doesn't happen to own their shares

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

you don't have to do anything you don't want to do, atlas

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

it's not sad to be mad, but it's bad to be sad and rad to be glad

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

And really, I don't think feeding the earth requires GMOs for quite some time. For most of American history at least half of the population was farmers, and we can certainly eat less meat and recruit more farmers to feed orders of magnitude more people before we really need to start looking at GMO wonder crops.

regardless of whether GMOs are good or not this is very wrong, labour is not the only input into agriculture!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

you can post in the thread for a game even if you dislike the game so I don't see any reason why people who love 40k or whatever shouldn't post in this thread

admittedly "I love space marines and hate political correctness!!!" is some pretty bad posting but that's how it goes sometimes

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

imo gassing a thread because a bunch of people who find the premise of the thread offensive started shitposting in it would set a bad precedent

compromise solution: gas every thread about any GW game that wasn't licensed out and prohibit acknowledging that they ever existed

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is disingenuous. The whole point of this thread, and it's not infrequent sorties into the 40k thread, is to obsessively sneer at people who enjoy something, and try to belittle and, ultimately, spoil that enjoyment. Telling people there is something they might like is a million miles away from telling people they don't like what they like. The latter seemingly being this thread's raison d'etre.

what's the maximum character limit for a thread title, asking for a friend

grassy gnoll posted:

Oh, that's kinda neat. That also solves a problem I saw the last time I checked in on the game, where it was basically a bunch of fucky infantry stuff, with not much emphasis on the magic or the giant clanky robots.

I haven't played since mk3 so idk if it worked but I think solving that problem was one of its main objectives

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

I feel the whole thing where you make a ton of character build choices before you have the slightest idea what they actually mean in practice should've been retired from games ages ago, but even otherwise good games keep on doing it

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Ultiville posted:

Of course, I haven't had a chance to play Witcher 3 yet. The whole pin-up card collection vibe (which maybe isn't in 3 idk?) kind of turns me off so I haven't been actively seeking it out.

I've only played (some of) 3 and I have no idea what that means so I guess it probably isn't in there?

it's an excellent game

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

In the witcher 1, which I played for a little while, an optional part of the game is to get as many women as possible to gently caress your character. You get a pin-up card for each one. You don't have to do it, but it's there, and the game's premise makes sure that like, it's totally OK because Witchers can't get girls pregnant!

ugh

witcher 3 can feel a bit gratuitous at times but more at an HBO drama level than something really egregious

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

That actually seems like a pretty good description of torment: tides of numenara. At least as far as I've gotten, which is to ~the second act. I've never had a game of this type where I did all of the various quests and stuff in an area and felt like every one of them was important to do and added to the story. The writing is pretty great, too.

Whatever you might feel about the numenara setting, it's a great game. Witcher 3 sounds like it's up my ally, too.

I mean that's all very compelling but on the other hand, monte cook

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

monte cook is the games workshop of people

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

a lot of the stuff happening in one of these games is not particularly interesting to anyone not involved (someone thinking, pushing models around), which goes 10x for GW games which have an insane ratio of time taken to non-trivial decisions made

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

imagine having your mind so rotted by GW that "I want to play games that take 90 minutes or less" comes across as implausibly weird

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

The fun + cool thing about games that don't take too long is that if you have more free time you can get a couple rounds in, so you get a chance to try something different if you lost your first game or you just weren't having the best time.

I like the occasional multi-hour game but even when I'm doing a long session of gaming I'd usually rather be able to get in a few different games rather than one super-long one, yeah

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Game of Thrones in space exists, it's called Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it's rad.

eh, it's very mixed in quality. major plot points hinge on people making implausible stupid decisions, and both the prussian aristocratic pastiche and the democratic pastiche are bland as hell

ilmucche posted:

As a game with secret objectives it would be rad. Do I kill this easy to kill guy, or is that what they want me to do?

malifaux already does this. one of the objectives is exactly that, in fact!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Ilor posted:

ijyt alt-account spotted.

hey, hixson's gimmick may be boring as all hell, but at least he isn't whining constantly about those sassy SJWs

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

nah it will be terrible

reminder that the "good" editions of 40k were still terrible games they just didn't have much competition

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

lol I was wondering if anyone was willing to step up to the plate and defend selling books you're going to immediately obsolete

e: hitting someone for being unemployed seems not cool though?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

buy GW branded whisky instead! (it's a 750ml bottle of fosters for £55)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

40k and fantasy are both super-derivative but it's a bit less obvious in 40k because it takes a bunch of fantasy stuff and writes "space" on top of it

fantasy's setting is more interesting though because it's not *totally* overrun with grimderp bullshit

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

yeah it's not really sufficient but they've definitely proven they can, in fact, do less

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I actually don't expect any gaming company to offer refunds on obsolete rulebooks, particularly if they were sold through brick-and-mortar stores, and I can't recall seeing a company do it before now, so while my expectations were low for GW, they also weren't any higher for anyone else

most gaming companies don't release new rulebooks just before obsoleting them, is the thing

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Years of obsessive, unhealthy investment in a negative mental loop waiting for 40k to be AoS'd is being paid off by GW doing good things and 40k players being happy about the AoSing. It's a Monkey's Paw situation.

I don't think the fact that y'alls are defending this is quite as shocking as you think it is

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the thing, though. There isn't anyone on SA who will mindlessly defend GW anymore. It's just a bunch of people trying desperately to troll the 40k thread right now while people go 'Hrm, this seems better than we'd usually expect out of GW' because they seem to be making some slight attempt at being less terrible.

woah really because it sure looks to me like a bunch of people jumped into this thread just now to defend selling books which you then obsolete within months as a normal and reasonable business practice

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

My comment was literally "GW is offering a voucher for books sold in the 8 weeks prior to the announcement. I am surprised they are doing this" and then people lost their goddamn minds, literally suggesting it was the minimum they could possibly do when actually the option of "not doing anything" was already on the table and was the option I was expecting that they would take

na man I didn't mean you. I meant people making lunatic car analogies, or eg.

berzerkmonkey posted:

You guys act like this is the norm and not the exception to the rule. Almost every company on Earth will be more than happy to sell you a product that will be out of date/invalidated tomorrow and give you absolutely nothing for the privilege.

which is either wrong or missing the point entirely. it is not, in fact, normal for games companies to publish new products and then obsolete them shortly afterwards. giving a small fraction of the people who bought those books store credit, provided they kept their receipts, is nice but not much of a mitigating factor

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

positioning is a pretty big deal in the non-GW games I've played. Hell, X-wing is super-precise about it, especially when you start doing poo poo like barrel rolls.

Yeah I don't think this is a GW-specific problem, it's a very common (universal, even?) problem with free-move miniatures games.

e: It's definitely a problem that can be bigger or smaller though, and template weapons are a bad idea precisely because they make the problem bigger

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Raged posted:

Look at this bad opinion and savour it like a stinky cheese.

As a reformed 40k player the X-wing movement templates are awesome. No bullshit when it comes to where your ships end up.

The problem is that there is a fair amount of bullshit? As mentioned, accidental movement is very common, and any time a template overlaps another ship things get fairly hairy

e:

panascope posted:

Squares are like objectively better than hexes.

now this, this is a wrong opinion

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

much like x-wing, a good game despite some rather unfortunate design decisions

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Weird that GW is the only one where people will go into other threads and "ironically" screech about how the company is terrible then come back to their safe space to complain about how brainbroke people are for not hating them. :shrug:

people harshly criticise other games and the companies that make them in their threads literally all the time, it's the tendency of 40k thread posters to violently poo poo themselves at the prospect of criticism that's unusual

also I don't think you know what the word "ironically" means

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Hamshot posted:

If I kept up with discussing the wrong opinions in this thread without posting "at least five to ten times as many posts" I'd be doing 50* posts an hour in the 40k thread. I only have so much of my time per day posting on this dead gay forum, so he's effectively saying that. Capiche?

*approximate value, you pedantic dickhead.

I think you're extremely confused about what he's saying or about numbers or both

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Texmo posted:

GW as a company was poo poo when helmed by Tom Kirby, and since that cancer has been cut out there have been very clear and rapid improvements in the quality of GW's attitude and general quality as a company and, assuming you don't have a warhammer fantasy-shaped chip on your shoulder, they're actually pretty consistently good now as opposed to being generally consumer-hostile and Bad as they were under Kirby.

In conclusion, its okay to give GW money now.

my main problem with GW has always been that they are incredibly incompetent (and really, disinterested) when it comes to actual game design, which hasn't changed in the slightest. and they're still extremely consumer-hostile by any reasonable standards.

the one thing they've ever been good at was making miniatures, and their modern output is chock with stuff that is technically impressive but looks like rear end

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i know youve probably inadvertently inhaled enough resin shavings that youve got some cysts or open sores on your brain so context is hard for you, so ill break it down barney style for you son

we were talking about refunds/rebates/store credit being given for products that a company sells and then invalidates soon thereafter, correct? afaik, wotc doesnt sell individual cards, just the main decks and the boosters, all of which have a random assortment of cards. a quick google told me a magic booster pack of 16 cards is $2.99, that comes down to a little more than 18 cents a card. wotc doesnt profit off of nerds reselling cards for way more than that, so why would they be beholden to refund someone for what they paid on the secondhand market?

:allears:
um while it's a pretty ridiculous stretch to compare bannings to GW releasing expensive rulebooks and then obsoleting them months later, this is wrong

wotc doesn't sell individual cards, but it sells boosters on the strength of rares in general and chase rares in particular. if they stopped printing rare cards booster sales would plummet because people would require far fewer boosters to sell their decks. the secondary market oils this whole machine but the fundamental thing driving booster sales is that every card played has to be opened in a booster, and the number of boosters opened per valuable rare is pretty high

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Hamshot posted:

The sane and balanced words of a sane and balanced man. Nothing extreme here, this is clearly the attitude of a person open to other opinions and viewpoints.

this is a very bad post and you should feel ashamed of it

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

basically every CCG and LCG has some answer to the mana screw problem, because it's the most obviously bad part of the magic rules

like even back when richard garfield was making netrunner 1.0 he realised this was a problem, I assume that's why the game allows you to click for credits

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Pash posted:

I'm really glad the random guy doing an ethnography for his highschool on our group was not there for that conversation...

way to bury the lede, drat

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

reopen the other thread but refocus it on complaining that this thread exists

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

modern gw stuff feels like watching a trailer for a transformers movie, it's obvious that all that stuff requires a high level of technical skill but it still looks like garbage

having access to fancy tools is great if you have the talent and self-restraint to use them well but they just make things worse when you put them in the hands of someone with the aesthetic sense of a teenage boy

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Moola posted:

only bitches use ignore function :cool:

"e-honour demands you read the bad posts" is a very silly opinion, ignore whoever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

what if a fabled japanese master smith used his centuries-honed skills to make a european-style bastard sword?

he should use his centuries-honed skills to make a gun instead imo

• Locked thread