Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

I got some Bandai Star Wars for Xmas and I am looking forward to putting them together. The Star Destroyer is small enough I can put it on my office desk without it being too gaudy!

Also got a Sherman from a friend who told me to use it to prractise my airbrushing. The swine knows I hate assembling tanks

Any goons get other neat stuff other than what's already been posted?

Thanks for letting me know those Bandai models were a thing. Those look fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/operation-game-collection-star-wars.html

You know what is even better than Dorfs? STAR WARS.

I decided to do a megapost on my D6 Star Wars RPG collection because I loving love D6 Star Wars RPG though the miniatures game was super bad. With Rogue One, Carrie Fisher's Death, and me binge watching my Season 1-2 Rebels Blu Rays and *cough* catching up on the third season it seemed like an appropriate thing to do.

Plus you know, lamenting how my favorite RPG besides Call of Cthulhu just doesn't get used because DURR ITS NOT DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.

It's always been sad to me that people don't realize West End Games created Star Wars. Lucas had literally nothing fleshed out that wasn't directly in the three movies at the time.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly I don't see that as a bad thing. It's been in the fleshing out of Star Wars that it got truly terrible.

There's a huge difference between the D6 RPG that WEG created and the terrible EU novels that tried to expand beyond it though.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently Sam Witwer actually gave Dave Filoni his old WEG sourcebooks when they were working together on Clone Wars. I'm like 60% certain that provided a great deal of the template for Rebels. As in, they statted up the characters and the cartoon is just an animated reconstruction of their RPG campaign.

Yeah, it's insane to think of how much they created. Lucas had no alien names that weren't specifically spoken, no planet names, no corporations/models of equipment, no galaxy maps, nada. Most of what people consider 'Star Wars' like Hutts and Twi'leks and Corellian Engineering YT-1300 transports all came from WEG.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Mind you they did make some errors, I think - like almost every alien race being defined by the one example of their species that showed up in the movies - i.e. all Rodians are bounty hunters, all Hutts are gangsters...

Would have been interesting if say, Hutts were largely peaceful diplomats and Jabba was in fact an outlier (hence he's known as Jabba 'the Hutt'). If they're all crimelords, then how is 'the Hutt' a useful identifier?

True, though what the Republic and Empire consider "crime lords" is the officially recognized legitimate government of Hutt space. There's definitely a caricature happening but even the Hutts were pretty varied on opinions about galactic politics, with some aiding the Rebellion.

I've got a soft spot for the Hutts though, my main campaign I ran back in the day was in Hutt space. Nar Shadda is just too awesome.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's fine, but if you look at what are considered the "good" movies over the last 20 years, it's either a rehash or a mediocre war film without any characters. There's just not much to the Star Wars universe. RedLetterMedia made a really great point when they said that despite how big the galaxy supposedly is, there's just not much you can do with it.

Saying there isn't much to it or much you can do with it makes it painfully obvious that you're not familiar with the WEG RPG sources we were talking about.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

fnordcircle posted:

The things you like are stupid and shallow but the things I like are deep and important.

Yeah well as a nihilist the things I like are also stupid but yours are even more stupid if that's even possible. You should be impressed by my edginess but I won't care either way.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Alien definitely isn't the most artistically meaningful film ever made but unlike Star Wars, there is at least some social commentary happening. Dan O'Bannon specifically designed the alien to invoke imagery of "homosexual oral rape" as a reaction against horror/exploitation films of the time that depicted women being raped as a way of getting tits on the screen.

But then they made Alien: Resurrection and AvP (which is so bad it ruined two good franchises). Of course, on the other hand, I don't know if anyone ever made an Alien Holiday Special so Star Wars has some good arguments in its favor.

There's a lot of undertones of Buddhist philosophy in the Jedi, but I guess that pales in comparison to some guy deciding HR Giger's creepy horror painting could be a gay face rape defiance of titties in slasher flicks that no one would ever correlate to anything, ever.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, and I like the first two Star Wars movies. They're really good! But there's nothing particularly valuable about the universe (artistically speaking; it's obviously extremely financially valuable). In the movies, it's really just some broad strokes about an evil space Empire and a plucky group of Rebels fighting them. You don't need to know who manufactured the Millennium Falcon or how hyperspace works or even what's happening on some random planet in the galaxy; what matters is watching Luke and friends grow as people and overcome adversity. You could set the story anywhere and it'd work just fine.

The new Star Wars movies are in an uncomfortable place (of their own choosing, mind) where they have to put forth a lot of effort to remind you, "We're basing these on the good movies," hence the constant references and reuse of identical (or near-identical) elements. The problem is that that makes everything feel redundant and shrinks the realm of possibility even further; does every movie need to involve a death star and a Darth Vader-looking guy? Yes, there's the Han Solo movie coming too, but that's still a similar problem: they're trying to make a Star Wars Cinematic Universe where everything ties into everything else but there's not actually that much to work with unless you start mining the originals for throwaway characters. Like who's gonna go see a movie about loving Bossk? (Ok, I actually might, but I'm a crazy person.) In the end though, you're just left with a series of diminishing returns because the story wasn't set up to last this long in the first place.

On the other hand, maybe Rogue One is genius: after all, it's trying to bridge the prequels and the originals, so putting unlikeable characters in the movie is a great way of reminding you of what came before, chronologically. :classiclol:

Yes, a bland surface-level appropriation of another culture's belief system: high art.

The point was neither are high art, because that's not their intended purpose. Sometimes the only point in telling a story is to simply tell a story.

As for more stories in the Star Wars universe, since I played the WEG RPG back in the day, I'm excited for anything they want to make. There's a lot of rich world building to draw on that goes far beyond the Galactic Civil War that they have never scratched the surface with cinematically.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree with your general point, but China hegemonizing an economically depressed Japan and Korea is a much more sensible future China than pretty much anything else I've seen in a tabletop game. (The revival of the Party and the Imperial throne, not so much. Why do game designers think Chinese people really really want an Emperor and Neo-Neo-Confucianism?)

I always thought the fact that people in Firefly that left Earth speak English and Chinese was a pretty realistic representation of the future.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Maybe if they used Chinese for anything except US-Censor friendly cursing

That indeed would have made it even more realistic but it would have also made for lovely television. Compromises have to be made.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

Ha! Nice try!

Yeah, fool me once.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
This is why Firefly would've sucked if they had used Chinese for more than swear words.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Miniatures game. Imperial assault got FFG in hot water because they came too close to a board game something or other. Hasbro is the only company allowed to make Star Wars board games.

FFG told Hasbro that IA was a miniature skirmish game, and they told GW it was a board game. Neither of them bought their bullshit and Hasbro got a cut of their Star Wars board game sales and the relationship with GW got further soured.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Who gave GW money?!?! fess up

Guilty.

I still like hanging out with you guys though.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

your punishment is to have less money and more GW products

Seems heavy-handed, but I'll accept responsibility for my actions.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

LashLightning posted:

I just remembered that Dreadnoughts had a near-dead Marine unturred in them - have enough Primus Marines (or whatever these new dudes are called) died already for them to make new 'noughts or are these regular dead Marines in new 'noughts?

The size of the coffin looks the same as a normal dread, so I assume it's existing marines in a new walker.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

I would bet a modest sum of money that those are dreads for bigmarines.

Undoubtedly they want the scale to match, but it looks like a normal sarcophagus, which would make sense since a BigMarine isn't going to have a Super Huge Primaris brain requiring a different box.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Part of that is the insistence on printing bigass hardcover books. I'm hoping they go softcover with releases this edition for that exact reason.

Are the codex and rule books also printed in the U.K. like the Black Library stuff? I always assumed that accounted for at least a small part of the GW tax since they're not reaping the sweet send-all-this-poo poo-to-China savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I have no idea. Though it's not as though $50-60 is well above market value for full-color hardcover nerdgame rulebooks with 100+ pages. I don't think GW is significantly overcharging for those comparatively, they should just do softcover because it's cheaper and easier to transport

No I agree, that's pretty par for course on price for their production quality. I wait for softcover in just about everything to save money and also because hardcovers are a pain in the rear end in every day use anyway.

• Locked thread