Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

Fun fact about dropzone commander and most CMoN mini games (Wrath of Kings and Dark Age): they hold tournaments to gauge balance in their armies and make minor corrections to things. They are also really good games with good backgrounds that are fun. In fact, the balance makes them MORE fun because you accidentally didn't pick the "joke" faction (see Orks/Tyranids) so you can stand a chance to win in a game.
Don't ever talk about balance in the 40k thread. I tried that the other day and posts like "the game has never been balanced so why try now?" were common.

That said, apparently some GW guys are taking part in the team games at Adepticon. I'm real curious to see how they do. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Doesn't something like one out of every 8 people alive speak Mandarin? That seems pretty wide spread IMHO
It is and it isn't. Yeah, you find Mandarin speakers here and there all over the world, but think about just how many people live in China.

Meanwhile, English is a horrible pidgin language that makes no sense and yet will consume all before it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dramatis Personae is an actual term, it's not GW doing fake latin and loving it up. It refers, collectively, to the main characters of a play, book, whatever, typically dramas.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

lot of real cultured types in this thread, you can tell
I was first exposed to the term through my sci-fi and fantasy novels.
:goonsay:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, we assume you're aware they literally did that to Fantasy, but I'll mention it just in case it somehow slipped your notice.

Like, they not only invalidated all of the existing Fantasy library, they also invalidated the series of four very very expensive "the end times" books they'd just released during the previous six months.
Oh, it wasn't four very expensive End Times books. It was five.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

I can't remember, was there even an explanation for why there's an 'ur' before gold? I mean, it's probably piss poor but was there?
Fluff-wise, ur-gold is like the fragments of the fyredorfs' dead god, Grimnir from WHFB. Apparently he died at some point? In reality, it's done to add a false sense of gravitas to the whole thing because it's a new setting and there's no better way to do that that add useless prefixes and adjectives all over the place.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

a minis game with Amplitude designed models would be cool. admittedly i just want cravers in a tabletop game
You're not wrong. I'd be so down for that, their designs are always great. Just imagine busting out an army of Horatios. :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

New Tzeentch model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tzeentch-Arcanites-Magister

It's slightly less ridiculous from a better angle but I love how they chose that for their glamor shot.
It's actually an old Tzeentch model.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cinnamon Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHsj5y8UL8

This is what sold me on 40k back in 2005.
Too bad DoW3 is going to have none of that charm. It's going to be bad. :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/02/warhammer-40k-8th-edition-will-change.html

i feel like he looked at this thread and thought it was insider information or something. then again if this turned out to be real it'd be even funnier.
I saw that and assumed a goon must have been the source. Which one of you was it?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Pinning is easy dawg. Sorry for your lots, etc etc

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

This is described as 'a massive game of 40k' but I gotta ask. How normal is that? Because not only can the tanks not move for all the other tanks in their way, but I'm not sure they could get through the terrain anyway.
Not at all normal. That's a big, dumb apocalypse game which is probably 2v2 or 3v3 or something. Only the most masochistic of hams play those things. It likely took all day and no one enjoyed it, but they'll do it again next year.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I looked up the new faction because I wanted to see a model and wound up finding a 16 minute long video of a woman doing a witch voice as she described everything. This was an official release. Why?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Too real. That middle panel hits close to home. My poor dorfs :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Please tell me that poofy sleeved toothless empire mans still exist in AoS and it's not all golden robo statues
Supposedly, there's a reality bubble somewhere where people still emulate their ancestors and use period-accurate clothing and weapons.

So, yes, you can still run an Empire army, but it's made up of stupid loving ren fest reenactors.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

From the bad thread:

I genuinely can't tell if this is sarcasm. Help me, death thread.
:thejoke:

Noted Serious Posters, Hixson and Panascope.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Lmao being angry at a hobby you don't even do. It's like getting mad at Canon for only minimally improving their low-light performance and never having owned a camera.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

I agree. Brothers, it is with deep regret that I've decided to withdraw my Great Company back to the Aett and submit to spiritual cleansing by the Wolf Priests after one too many losses. My stubborness in refusing allies, even ones which are approved by the Rout such as the Imperial Knights allied to Fenris, Imperial Guard regiments seeking glory alongside the Rout, even the beautiful and war worthy Celestine .....

.... sigh, sorry can't make a nice narrative out of this. Put it simply, I'm tired of 40K and my wolves and will retire from the scene until 8th edition. Since I started in 2014, I've only made use of Space Wolves, first the 6th Ed codex, then Champions of Fenris, then Curse of the Wulfen. I keep telling myself that I don't need to jump on the allied or multiple detachment to defeat Eldar, Tau, Necrons or even our supposedly subpar (at least until Traitors Legion supplement) enemies the Chaos Space Marines. Now though, it appears that no matter what I do, even if I am tactically sound which according to most of my opponents I am, I keep handing myself the smackdown by choosing to face SM/CSM with Imperial Knights allies, Ynnari, Cawl buffed Mechanicum, and heck, most recently, a simple formation of 4 daemon princes called Tetrachs.

4 Daemons (plus a small CAD of nurgle daemons). Smashed my entire force of 1500 wolves. Which had Wulfen, Iron Priest on wolf, even a Stormfang Gunship for anti-air which I was anticipating, though not 4 FMCs. And to round it off, a small Deathpack formation to be able to run and charge a TWC gang and a Thunderlord with shield an sword. rest of army was 3 Drop pods of MSU.

If that isn't depressing, I don't know what is. I've been tabled before and was able to laugh like mad, even to Tau. This one along with many others just left a very sour taste in my mouth. They didn't just bring a gun to a knife fight. They brought automatic weapons, a tank, an F22 raptor and a nuke as well.

Sorry mates, my wolf spirit has been quenched, along with my 40K spirit. That being said, I haven't written off the hobby entirely and have decided to focus on just assembly and painting at least for a few months before going back, hopefully just in time for 8th Edition. I still love the Vlka Fenryka. I have no intention of going vanilla or any other army. But it looks like I have to accept in my heart that for a long time now, the Wolves have not been able to stand up themselves, even after Curse of the Wulfen came out.

A Blood Angel friend of mine has suggested 30K as an alternative, which I've accepted and therefore will be focusing on painting ALL my Burning of Prospero figures into the 6th Legion. Get me into the painting groove and at the same time, it's almost like making a fresh new army without giving up my first love of the Vlka Fenryka.

Another alternative is to find a different FLGS for different meta.

I just wish I could forget about competitiveness and just play with whatever the heck I want, even Swiftclaws and Skyclaws. Sadly if i do that, I'm handing a big "SMASH ME" sign to my whole meta. The kind of meta who will never play mutilators, non flying hive tyrant Tyrannid swarms or assault marines beyond skyhammer formation.

Don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I'm hoping that what I feel is normal among some of you old timers especially between edition changes, or whether you guys have ever felt "tired" of your army before.

Until the next winter.
Time will heal these wounds my friend. Wise counsel has been provided, take a break. Looking for a new group or even a like minded player within your existing group willing to 'dumb down' some games. I've had one guy that I've played with consistently for a few years now. He plays everything, I only play wolves but we're both relaxed, think that doing some 'dumb' stuff once in a while is OK and aren't really about power creep. The best part is that I can't tell you how many times other players have stopped at our table and asked the same question 'Are you guys over here LAUGHING?' because the idea of playing a game without the need to 'Crush your enemy, see him driven blah blah blah' is a foreign concept to many that play.

I played back in 5th edition through 'The Ward Time' as I call it. Blood Angels WRECKED, then Necons OWNED, then Grey Knights just sent people into apoplectic aneurysms. Then flyers became a thing and wolves had NO Anti-Air. I lost a lot of games over a long period of time and got super sour about it. Fortunately I had a couple of players that played older, "weaker" armies and that became my new group. At least then I lost games on the table not in the List Writing Phase and those don't hurt as bad.

Check around and look for someone who is also a little frustrated or would be willing to 'play down' for fun games. If not then as has been mentioned, a break may be in order.

Even Wolves must rest...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

there's no need for name-calling. these people are hurting enough as it is and i think we should do our best to be supportive, even though they feel like the only thing they can do right now is to lash out at the people who care about them
This discussion has been had before, by more dedicated and grander neckbeards than us. The following :

http://www.navweaps....ch/tech-076.htm

is a NAVY research paper addressing just the topic we are discussing, albeit in a different form: what is more efficient, battleships or destroyers? Guess what the result is. The statistical maths (simulated) demonstrates that a larger group of destroyers are superior to a smaller group of more lethally condensed battleships. This holds true especially when the number of guns remains the same.

The rest of the world addresses the concept we are discussing as Distributed Lethality. It has become accepted naval doctrine for quite some time now. The N-Squared law is specifically why wargamers around the world, be they historic, modern or future, have always spouted boys over toys. Warhammer gamers have traditionally struggled with the concept, as the roll of victories my "2x Firewarrior EMP Platoon" had demonstrated back in the day. And I hear Kroot can snipe now. Hell, if I go back to Tau I could take down the Riptide meta all by myself.

Thank you for reading this. I spent an hour searching for the link (the whole site is a treasure-trove), before my browser made me re-write this post three times. Rest assured the beatings will continue until performance improves.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saint Drogo posted:

lol they don't respond to people who don't actually play the game going THIS IS GONNA BE lovely ARE YOU SCARED ARE YOU MAD YET BE MAD

those brokebrain motherfuckers.
Do you have more info than us? If that's the case please share, because so far I have seen just a mere handful of rule concepts from GW and most of those were in 40k 2nd edition long long before AoS was even thought of. 40k is a copy/paste of WHFB with a few extra rules added on (like vehicles, expanded melee and such) from the very start back in the day and has since evolved into what we have today.

Critical thinking is nice, perhaps you should use some and not just mindlessly follow the whine-train on the internet. No, GWs rules aren't perfect, far from it (heck, just take a look at any rules-thread on any forum, can't find any praise of GW there). But to just whine for whining's sake is not very constructive and SA is for constructive discussions.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So my 2 cents on the rumored changes.

The movement values; I dig, ALOT. I think this gets rid of some of the rules bloat and really makes each unit more individual.

The "rend" or "armor reduction" mechanic from 2nd and AOS; I also dig. It means 2+ / 1+ armor saves actually mean something, giving each gun that needs it a rend mechanic makes even the heavy bolter a valid and dangerous weapon on the table top again! It also means the 3+ save of a space marine will in fact be useful again (I think.)

Charging going first? Nids and Orks shall reign once again! (good!) I am glad to see melee getting a much deserved buff, overwatchs make shooting strong and compensate for weak melee, where as the "charging goes first" means that you are forced into tactical decisions regarding your placement and options.

The morale being battle shock......This is interesting, again I tend to like it, the Gw website said it very well "its not the "all or nothing system of now" or something akin to it.

Imagine that this balances out "And they shall know no fear" honestly, maybe something like "units with this rule reduce battleshock loss by 1" and fearless will be "reduce by 2" or something like that.

Overall....Good start, Cautiously optimistic.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

There's a bunch of stuff you can decide in AoS, but the issue is it's way outweighed by random variation in a couple of big things and that some choices matter way more than others. Double-turns are game-ruiningly bad, and I've seen several armies where I'm just wondering why they're even played because people just straight walk over them. Artillery is particularly bad.

The issues with GW's cargo cult design are, I feel, most emblematic with the removal of charts you mentioned. You put forward sound logic; it's true that you can build threat and vulnerability into the individual models, and that removing a chart speeds things up. But why keep hit and damage? You've got a single "threat" value, there, that's largely independent of everything else (there's some "reroll 1s to hit" type stuff, but that's not incompatible with a single dice roll for attack). All it does is prolong resolution and increase the randomness of a given number of attacks.
We will all see the finished rulebook sooner or later, and I can see no evidence yet that it will just be AoS ported over to 40k. Take a company like Blizzard, who constantly uses their experiences from their other franchises in their franchises (heck, WoW is getting more and more Diablo-esque every patch it seems). AoS has been an experience for GW, they have learned some things along the way and I would be more surprised if they didn't use their experiences from AoS in 40k. Does that mean they will just port it over as is? Not likely.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Age of Sigmar (AoS). Free rules. Everyone rejoiced and there wasn't a word of descent on the matter whilst the flame-wars went on with other focus.

This to me was actually a shame. Something no one suggested was an issue is actually one of the major problems with AoS. "The background is shallow" is the chorus we hear.

The depth and soul of a gaming system is the cool background that makes the great miniatures we have painstakingly assembled and painted, come to life. How much cooler is it to have Magnus the Red leading a Warband against Space Wolves and settling old grudges, rather than generic big plastic monsters firing magic at generic armoured space knights?

Well the crux of my post is thus; the free rules means players download the elements they need to play and have all the reading material they need. They don't buy background books they don't need. Given the choice between expensive books and new models and most folk go with the later. The proof is in the sales.

If people don't have these books they won't be reading the amazing background material we all love. It'll be the unknown army of blue painted plastic vs red version.

So I am of the opinion we need Codex books with rules and background to ensure the new players are as enamoured as ourselves. We don't want to be 5 years down the line and all the new players haven't a clue why Blood Angels have the Death Company, what their home planet is like or why the Dark Angels have Deathwing in different coloured armour.
Not going to lie, I am looking at it from a hopeful (hah!) stance, but that is mainly because I am finding the current setting entertaining, and personally don't mind the larger-than-life characters with their own mythologies - blame my affinity for Greek mythology and similar settings. To me, GW has to walk a fine line between keeping the setting suitably dark (and not turning it into the next Justice League! Now with Badder Villains and Cooler Heroes!), keeping it on the edge without resolving all conflicts, and not letting the good guys (or the bad guys) conclusively win (and therefore end their setting for all intents and purposes).

In the end, they have to keep various sorts of players/readers interested. On one side, they have people like me, adults approaching middle age who have been aware of the setting for decades and appreciate the subtlety, the darkness, the tragedy, the almost-midnight feel without being as deeply involved with the hobby at this stage in our lives. On another side, they have the youngest hobby adherents like my five year old, who is working on her very first Battle for Vedros Marines, and who needs to have a story that she can comprehend with the characters who can be seen as less morally ambiguous, and who can be categorized easily into good/evil categories. And then, you have everything and everyone in between, including people who want to emphasize the darkness and the (for the lack of better word) edginess of the setting, fans of the characters who want to see their favorite faction triumph, serious tournament gamers who are more concerned about how the meta plays out, and what not.

The real challenge for GW is to do something that satisfies all, or at least most types of gamers, and that in itself is a Sisyphean task. I choose to see the campaign books and the codices as something between official histories taught in the Imperial schools and legends whispered in the shadow - primarily based on truth, but with a healthy amount of heroic embellishment to make the chosen factions look better, to make their defeated adversaries seem that much more terrible, or to create propaganda describing a fearsome enemy. I choose to see BL novels as being the "true" narrative of what had actually happened, as opposed to what made it into the official histories, or what became hearsay after being distorted by time and in retelling.

Personally, I have been pretty happy with what they have been doing recently, but then, your mileage may vary, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is a part of me that does want to see the good guys (using the term very loosely) win, but I know that it would be the end of our favorite setting, so the best we can hope for is that they continue fighting, and that the midnight remains minutes, or seconds away in all perpetuity.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

E: ^ Subtility. Sure. Like uuuuuuh. Wait. The fascist parody that's now played dead straight? You even refered to litteral Space Nazi as the good guys. Think about that.
The will to appeal to a broader audience may indeed motivate the shift to a more Manichean and positive 40k. GW has always tried to grow and that's fine. One could even argue the Tau were created solely for that reason. But that may be the most radical change we've seen and it sacrifices, in my humble yet pretty awesome opinion, much of the tone, the flavour of what brought many of us to the hobby in the first place.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

The Tau bringing what many perceive to be anime (though I totally made my Tau anime because of the robots) influence into the game is no different than the initial crop of pop culture icons from the game's inception.
40K has been getting less and less "grimdark" ever since 3rd Edition. Go back and look at the original setting. Whole sectors of space were cut off for generations by warp storms. Space Marine chapters were effectively independent mercenary companies (who had their own Military Police, because posthuman soldiers on a drunken rager need to be kept in check). Mottos on vehicles and helmets in Astartes and Guard forces alike included "Born to Kill," "Smile as you Go Under," and so forth. Look at the early artwork- it's post-apocalyptic in a way that nothing has been since 2000.

Ever since 3rd Edition, the little details like this have died off. Astartes chapters got Flanderized into one-note factions. Chaos got whipped with the Nerf-bat repeatedly. Rule of Awesome replaced grimdark as the people writing the setting gradually forgot not to take it too seriously. Necrons got fleshed out (pardon the pun) and then retconned. The story of the Horus Heresy got turned from a monster story writ large into a Great Tragedy with the fallen primarchs turned into Misunderstood Tragic Figures.

My own viewpoint is that these changes don't actually impact the baseline level of grimdark at all. That level dropped dramatically the very instant Tau became a thing. I'd like to have my quirky, so-grim-it-gets-funny setting back, but if I can't have it, frankly I'm totally fine with what we have, where Rule of Awesome applies, because I don't see recent events through the same lens.

Yes, RG is back. Yes, maybe the Aeldari have a path ahead that might let them avoid their doom. Yes, this recent book ended on a hopeful statement of the Imperium riding a wave of blood to a new future. But we have also lost Cadia, the Maelstrom and Eye of Terror are both swollen to massive proportions, Ghazgkull is still out there assembling that GREAT WAAAGH, the Hive Fleets are still inbound to eat everyone,... I could go on, but the threats are still there and they're still species-level. The Galaxy is still a vast place where you will not be missed.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

Thing is, the tone has grown to be really disturbing to an onlooker. It's, to a point, presenting an unholy fusion of the catholic church at its worst and Nazi Germany as awesome, heroic, good guys. That is cargo culting as its finest, and while I can excuse old timers for not realising it, since they started out when the satire was actual satire, it's still sketchy as hell.

Chill la Chill posted:

40k novel: The Jungle in a hive world. 40k novel: Canticle for Leibowitz.

Thanks for the insight. I started right past that, in 4e, so I only ever hear about and see idealized versions of the older fluff. I ascribe much of it with what was then the current pop culture ideals, and I'm sure it would've been different had 40k been started in, say, the booming economic internet powerhouse of the US in the 90s. Maybe they could've used a more '80s style of hyperviolent and darker anime instead? It existed, hell, the whole gundam series before Gundam Wing was rather dark in a bleak war-torn environment. But I can't fault them for wanting the more heroic good guy mobile suit anime look at the turn of the century. I only ever knew the 40k as it was then, and as far as I can remember, the satire of 40k was already well underway when I frequently visited Dakka and 4chan for turning into the thing it once used to make fun of.

40k is far too complex for me to articulate why it was so interesting, and why whatever this new setting they're cooking up is so different. But I will try to hit a major point.

Grimdark is not just about the bodycount, or the corruption of the Imperium, the stakes involved, or even the lack of hope. Ignoring the slew of literary problems with GW's handling of such things, GW is keeping all of that with their new fluff (except the hope part). Instead, they are getting rid of one of the key themes of 40k's macro-setting.

Grimdark is all of those things mentioned before; but at the heart of it is the theme that what humanity has lost, can never be redone. This sense of tragedy resonates, from the very opening blurb of 40k (which they're going to have to change to fit with this new universe they are creating).

Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

It is the core around which everything else fits, and informs and infuses the entire mood of the setting.

Tell me, how does the revival of Guilliman or the sudden, McGuffin creation of better Angels fit with this cardinal value and macro-direction of the setting as it was? At this point in the story 'progression' we might as well have skipped the 10,000 years and retconned it so that Gullimen never was crippled for all the meaning and heft his death/stasis has had.

People say they need hope in the setting to not be completely turned off. I agree to an extent. But hope in the dark millennium comes from the more down to earth elements of flesh and blood, fire and steel, faith and grit of the sons and servants of the distant gods/demigods that came before. While they are no longer with us, we continue the fight in their name, even against such powerful darkness encompassing us, even amongst the unmitigated eternal carnage and slaughter and laughter of thirsting gods.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

To me (and I've been in and out of the hobby since 3rd Edition), what makes the Dylan Thomas poem--and by analogy the 40k setting--so compelling is that the light is dying, so to speak.

Thomas writes:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

And what stirs my soul about that verse is the defiance it embodies. Night falls inevitably. But to rage against it nonetheless, when weaker than you were, and knowing that you cannot change the movement of the heavens, is inspiring. It is the same, to me, with the 40k universe. The grand ideals of the Great Crusade have been cast down and perverted. The Imperium has lost much of its technological and other progress. The once-proud Emperor is now a corpse-god, bound to the Golden Throne and enduring an eternity of torment in order to seal the daemon-infested webway gate at the heart of the Imperial Palace that his son Magnus inadvertently tore asunder. The Imperium of Man is beset on all sides, and from within, by enemies. It has developed into an incredibly oppressive, theocratic, authoritarian regime. The doomsday clock is ticking ever closer to midnight.

But it is not midnight yet. The galaxy should be certainly doomed, but it isnt. And not because of the bold actions of a few cartoonishly important heroes, but because of the millions of people fighting and dying for every inch, in an uncaring galaxy, every day, for ten thousand years. That is why it matters "that Eisenhorn stabbed Quixos with the reforged Barbarisater in the caves of Farness Beta," that "the Tanith 1st (and Only) made their epic stand outside the gates of the Civitas Beati," and that "the Ultramarines 1st Coy. died to a man underneath the northern polar fortress of Macragge." No individual life or death will swing the fate of mankind, but knowing that and still making the ultimate sacrifice anyway is that much more meaningful. Knowing your life won't sway the balance but giving it anyway, in the face of utter darkness, takes the highest kind of courage. The idea of staring into the abyss and spitting defiantly at the thirsting gods who stare back,is what has kept me invested in the story of this universe for the last 10-15 years. The clock ticks onward, and no one man (or Primarch) can hold back the hand before it strikes midnight. The Imperium has no choice but to pile bodies in front of it, jam the clockwork with the bodies of its heroes and commoners, in the hopes of staving off that final, last tick.

I agree that there should be hope. But hope here is a candle sputtering in a vast, windy darkness, yet somehow refusing to go out. Courage and defiance in the face of seemingly impossible odds. Once one man, or a few, seem to inexplicably turn the tide, it devalues the billions who over ten millennia could not. A ray of hope is necessary, but only a ray.

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I would love to hear whether others agree or disagree. :)
The grim darkness of despair is a meme that misrepresents substancial peripheral bits of the setting. Logistically, it just couldn't be that bleak and have continued on for as long as it did. It had to be at least a semi-stable system. This time I'll build the case around Guard Logistics.

Suppose we had a world. A fairly typical Imperial world in many ways congruent to our own. Nice, tolerably stable, reasonably industrialised. Keeps up with its tithes.

Wham! let's hit it with an Ork Waaugh. A nice healthy waaugh, that requires global mobilisation to avoid imminent overrun of the planet. Governor Gondorius calls for aid. The munitorium assesses this and dispatches several army groups from the neighbouring half dozen systems, including the Rohanicus system naturally. Was a time when the fluff would note that an average global conflict like this would take a few years to sort out after which poor Gondorius' world would likely need a generation or two to recover and start tithing again.

Okay, so, to make this stable over the greater Imperium we draw the notion that worlds are collapsed under planet wide assaults like this on average no more than once every three or so centuries. If they got ploughed under much more often than that they couldn't regenerate fast enough to sustain the mutual defence system. That's three hundred years of relative peace and prosperity for your average imperial citizen. That's actually not bad for a setting billed as 'constant warfare'.

Yes, there's pretty much a war somewhere within your planets muster radius every generation that draws off so many promising sons and daughters to their dooms. Tragic in it's own way, but not nearly as nonsensically bleak as some people like to put it.

To think of this another way, pick some famous campaign, like one of the Armageddon ones. Look up the orders of battle with respect to just how many world committed their guard tithe to that conflict. Figure that to justify this the Munitorum must've figured all those other worlds were relatively safe and secure enough to draw off all their best defenders to rally to the worth of Armageddon.

Enormous tracts of the Emperors millions of worlds must have spent most of the last ten thousand years in relative peace and prosperity.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Some kids I knew in high school were into the game. I can only recall that the one who lived around the corner from me had Eldar, though I can't even remember what colours his models were. I think someone else had Ultramarines or maybe Blood Angels.

Anyway, Warhammer 40,000 didn't really interest me at that "golden age" of 12-14 in the early Nineties. Back then I had a Warhammer Fantasy Battle starter, the 4th Edition with the High Elves and Goblins, but never bought anything past that.

To be honest, wargames never really interested me at all, probably because I'm not interested in competitive games. I was more interested in Dungeons & Dragons and other tabletop roleplaying games, though even Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay never made an impression on me at the time.

Later on in high school I had a closer friend who also played 40K, and I learned more about it then, but I seem to recall he was also getting to that age of 16+ where he was still into it but faintly embarrassed by it, so not exactly trying to persuade his other friends to play it. Then he took up fencing and got really into that, so all of his spare time and money was invested in that (and he's been involved in fencing for 20 years, so it was probably the right call).

I didn't really get into 40K until after I'd been out of university for some time and got married. At some point after 2008, I don't remember when or what prompted it, I must have decided I'd give it a go, because I bought a copy of the 5th Edition starter, Assault on Black Reach - but I discovered that same starter all but untouched in 2014, which is when I got into 40K in a serious way.

What finally pushed me over the line was really the Horus Heresy novels. I had never really known that much about the 40K universe - I didn't even know the name Horus, really - but I did know the basic idea of the Chaos Space Marines and the Chaos Gods, and I'd always thought that the Thousand Sons had a cool Egyptian aesthetic. It didn't hurt that Tzeentch had seemed the most interesting of the Chaos Gods even back when I was briefly interested in Warhammer Fantasy Battle; I think there was something about that crescent moon-headed Sorcerer of Tzeentch that caught my eye.

So then, in the context of the Horus Heresy series, I then became aware of the real backstory of the Thousand Sons, and decided I might as well read the novels in order. I read extremely quickly, so I figured it wouldn't take me long to get to the 12th book . . . but then I thought I should try out the audiobook for Horus Rising, since I had a long drive to work. I love the audiobooks, but I'm not always in the mood for them, so it's taken me about 3 years to make it to my current point of being about 2/3 of the way through Deliverance Lost.

But in that time I've become really interested in 30K, at least in terms of collecting and painting models, and who knows what will happen once my wife and I manage to organise our move interstate in the next few months? Maybe I'll get into playing if we're close to a decent store or club down south.
I grew up next to Salem, MA (aka where the original witch hunters came from) and went to school there as a kid. It's the kind of place that is utterly unto itself, and hard to describe to outsiders until you've seen it. I guess Portland, OR or Amsterdam, NL would be the closest comparisons, but wrap those up in a sleepy New England village and you have Salem.

There was/is a shop downtown that sells cigars, porn, and Dungeons and Dragons stuff (you can't make this stuff up)*. My brother and I would go in there from time to time when we were downtown [and when the staff bothered to keep us from peering into the forbidden sections] and would head the dusty back section. They had all sorts of comics, 70's Star Trek/Star Wars, Babylon 5, D&D, and other "crap." As 11-13yr olds raised on LOTR and Star Trek, we were in heaven. That's where we stumbled onto this "warhammer-not-warcraft" stuff. Needless to say, overblown super soldiers with guns shooting aliens was more engrossing than anything we could imagine. We would head back there and devour the books as we could. For whatever reason the 40k stuff grabbed our attention while the WFB stuff seemed like a boring LOTR clone.

I eventually saved up money to buy the Blood Angels Codex (2nd/3rd edition?) and then the Angels of Death Dark Angels/Blood Angels one. We had never played a tabletop game before so didn't bother to understand the stats and just got them for the fluff. My brother got the Dark Eldar codex just to be different. I don't know how our parents never turned a few pages to figure out what had our 12-yr old jaws dropped.

Anyways, 40k was always on the peripheral or background until Dawn of War vg series. Passing interest in the universe would come and go. Then fast forward another ten years and here I am, hopeless.

*Not my review, but an incredible bit of reading:
"While I am not a smoker or a cigar connoisseur, I've become infatuated with the musty atmosphere of this store, and will sometimes be found, poking through the endless boxes of comic books, towards the back. I've found that I enjoy sifting through the back issues at this store over Harrison's Comics (only a walk around the corner) more extensive (and pocket-sinking collection.) The concept of a store that appeals primarily to cigar enthusiasts and sexual deviants, while also catering to the nerd herd is a bizarre one indeed, but it also bridges many gaps in becoming simply another niche cigar joint that exudes sleaziness. This place may polarize passers by, and it certainly isn't a place where one might invite their right-wing, evangelical father to pal around with. Nonetheless, beneath the grime and leisure-suited, used car salesman mood of the store, this a great outlet to silently geek out with Star Trek memorabilia and dig through the heaps of pulpy Marvel or DC comics that seem to have accumulated an unnecessary amount of dust--if you are patient, you may strike a real catch over the expensive rates on comics at other stores.

I have given the Red Lion Smoke Shop four stars, only due to the fact that the staff aren't the most friendly bunch, and they have, visibly maltreated a few customers who've never asked for the hassle. Either way, if you feel ripe for a pit stop at a truly unique hobby shop that's weathered through Salem's consumer culture revolution, and if you're comfortable with the sometimes shifty attitude that radiates from the store, then mark this down as a must-visit avenue for cigar-smoking and geek goodies alike."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

Came back to this thread to see a whole lot of shitposting, what happened? Did GW finally put Ham 40k in a reality ball?
Seriously, this thread. :cripes:

We have an extremely small amount of information released, hardly anything to even start speculating about. The released things are rule concepts, nothing is put in stone yet by GW. If that makes you put your hobby on pause, then do that...though personally I don't really see the point of coming here to brag about something like that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

Death throes of a dying thread. Dane cook blowjoberer posting direct copies of other SA posts into this thread instead of mocking them openly in the thread they came from because it isn't the cuddly hate box echo chamber he feels comfortable in. Crack bone posting sup-par artificial memes in the hopes one will take off but instead gets ignored, resulting in him trying even harder like a toddler in a tantrum responding to being ignored by increasing volume.

RIP Death thread. The forums were at the same time too abrasive and too sensitive for you.
drat, Hamshot. There are many good points here and I am not really in disagreement.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

You may be confused friend, I think GW and 40k is a loving garbage fit of hot fecees but lol if this is the turning point for you or something or that people are jumping on to violently defend it literally nothing. When the 40k balls start touching then maybe its time for some shitposting idk.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

I'd say the GW cultists will get theirs shortly but we saw with AoS GW can squat all the teams and lore and release the worst game imaginable but sunk costs will always trump reason eventually in some folk.

I'm looking forward to AoS40k though because those early days when we all had ideas of how it might be alright then every piece of real info was worse and bafflingly awful... those were the salad days.

The latest releases are so end times it's incredible, check out the tactics pages for the 40k version of the united elf army and it's like "don't play this because it's too OP" and guilliman buffs your whole army massively.
When people say GW has improved they generally mean they're selling things people want to buy (at huge markup and with monopose CAD models) and putting out Facebook posts. There's actually no evidence they're getting better at writing rules but then again who actually wants to play Warhammer lmao. It's "the hobby" not a game.
Some may know that I despise AoS, with the same passion that I adore 40K. GW went completely the wrong way about doing that, there were far better ways.

Sure, getting rules in boxes of models (usually on instruction books) CAN be useful, just look in the N&R forum, where the Tartaros Terminators rules are already being posted. Mainly, though, these should be kept for boxes of units that are totally new releases for the active gaming system. Now, Angels of Death, for example, missed the ticket here, slightly. It could have consolidated ALL the generic C:SM stuff that had been released since the codex, even chapter specific like Shadow Force Solaq, for example. (That might be it, I didn't get any of the Damocles books).

AoS was, in my mind, reasonably priced for what you got. None of the fluff was copy/paste like you get with codexes (if you are familiar with previous editions). Add in the fact that Third Edition cut almost all the fluff out of codexes, you had just the rules, and they were all under £10 each, with sub-faction books around £4 a piece. However, a lot of flavour was missing from third edition, much less available than there is now.

I guess, at the end of the day, it totally depends on your local meta, though. Do you have players there that care more about having the most powerful lists over lists that fit the lore of the faction they are playing, etc.?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

OK, I just watched a really good video essay, and it kind of inspired me to plant this here.
Now, I’ll start off by saying I don’t nearly get ingrained into the Lore as much as some gamers. I don’t buy every book, and I read one every few months or so. But I do understand generally what is going on and what has happened, recognize key characters, and know the story-arcing themes of races. But lore does matter to me, and this is my opinion on how GW has made mistakes and can do better.

PART 1: Comparisons with the Warhammer Old World - End Times - Age of Sigmar progression
The End Times (and Age of Sigmar that came after) essentially invalidated all the general Lore for Warhammer Fantasy. The effect is the same as retconning WFB out of existence, as whatever happened in WFB had little effect on what happens in AoS.
So, why would GW do this, when it is mostly poor storytelling? Well, their goal wasn’t really story driven at all, but instead driven by the need (or want) to create something entirely new and invalidate the old. The small references to WFB are mostly done to appease the customer base and maintain some justification for models.
GW wanted to create better trademarks for IPs, and create new models that didn’t really fit WFB’s lore, while also changing gameplay entirely. In their eyes, these goals could not have been met without the End Times.

Part 2: 40k and the Future
Now we are seeing the progression of the storyline for Warhammer 40k. Thankfully, GW isn’t likely to AoS 40k, as 40k is the cash cow and doesn’t really need complete upheaval like WFB did. But GW obviously wants to sell more models and books, and story progression is the easiest way to do that.
“Curse of the Wulfen,” “Wrath of Magnus,” and “Fall of Cadia” all meet GW’s goals of more books and more models, and don’t really change the dynamics of the galaxy to massive degrees. Yes, the Space Wolves took a beating, and Cadia is now gone. But these groundbreaking events need to happen for the story progression to feel important. Nonetheless, none of the factions is destroyed or culled, and it just flows into the next story arc. Old foes and allies have returned, new characters are brought to the fore, and the future is uncertain but in motion.
Now I think that this is all promising. Obviously for anything to work there needs to be good writing, and it can be very hard to trust GW with progressing a storyline with their history in WFB. But at the end of the day, GW knows the best way to sell models and books is to accompany them with story progression. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as long as GW has learned lessons in their past mistakes and willing to improve.

D&D 3.5 aside (which primarily survives due to a very odd quirk of copyright in the OGL), these games have wispy, zombie-like support at best. They live and breathe, but only barely, and they only really do so because they're fun systems. There's no useful example of a game background era that "sticks around," because there's nothing tangible to be had for it. It's fiction. It lives in our heads.

Though, really, I don't think this is the reason people are displeased. The oft-repeated point of "but nothing's stopping you from ignoring it" is itself doing some pretty big ignoring of what people get and like out of a setting like 40K's. At the end of the day, it's a hobby that naturally requires external inspiration, and most of that comes from the people who make the hobby products. The spigot gets turned off, and there's nothing new to interact with. It's a game world, not a religion. Engagement isn't a monastic activity.

People want to go where the product goes, but the product's going in a place a lot of people don't want it to. It may not be The End Times in the sense that 40K won't face the ignoble steamrollering that poor ol' WHFB got. The Emperor will still be on his Throne, kicking out the oldies for Navigators to jam to, and his Imperium will stand against the Gods of Chaos (well, minus one before too long, I'd wager), but all indications are that it's going to be a radically different place in terms of tone, focus and engagement than the setting that preceded it.

Quite a few of us aren't pleased by that, and I don't think that's without cause. Whatever one wants to say about the merits of an advancing timeline, the fact is that the GW of today just doesn't cut it in terms of pure writing quality to execute on that advancement with anything like the competency it requires. Just look at these pages from the Fall of Cadia if you need an example. If you think that's the kind of material that should be used to birth the new era of 40K, well, I don't know what to tell you. You must not think much of 40K. I can't even bring myself to call that junk "cartoonish." Cartoons are, after all, are capable of subtlety, complexity and wit.

With all that stacked up, it just doesn't seem worth it to try and carry forth the lonely banner of Oldhammer 40K. There's other games and setting with better background (and, God, do we even want to start up on the sadness and desolation of 40K's rules set right now?) that are actively being maintained at a satisfactory level of quality. Why settle for the garish parody that 40K is looking to become? Life's too short.

Based on previous behaviour exhibited by Games Workshop, am I worried about the future of a games system I've been playing with for most of my life? YES.

Based on a discussion I've had, the majority of people who want AoS style formatting and rules brought to the 40K setting are those who don't care about the lore, the setting, and have zero patience with actually creating something from their games.

In my group, we have a saying "If the rules don't support a fluff event, we'll make arrangements."

Want a Marine Librarian who is a master at summoning daemons to do his bidding? Sure! We use that one often when my Grey Knights come out, as my opponent likes a story as much as I do.
Want a traitor guard company, but can't afford the Forgeworld book? Sure! Use the Astra Militarum codex, and deploy amongst your Chaos Marines!

We have toyed with many ideas, some of which aren't board appropriate in nature, however if you are after a conversation about them, PM me for sure. However, there is ALWAYS a fluff based reason behind stretching or breaking things like the Allies Matrix. Nothing touches the core of the game.

We are seeing story progression, new books and models, with rumours saying Loyal Primarchs might be returning (Which if in plastic would be cool), much the same way as End Times occured.

Does 40K NEED anyting approaching an AoS style reboot? No. Not at all. Sure, some of the special rules need looking at, and how they interact with each other. However, that's the most it needs. The current edition has everything we could want to represent the stories we are telling on our tables. From a patrolling Imperial knight encountering allies and enemies, to a named character leading an assault on their opposing counterpart.

I've had discussions and arguements with people who don't care about the lore, or tellign a story, they just want a game they can play once or twice, and move on. My suggestion to them has always been teh same. Want simple rules that are fast to play? Play Chess or Snakes and Ladders. 40K is an immersive hobby, very creative, and can be extremely cinematic. Forcing people who enjoy all aspects of teh hobby to put up with chess-simple rules, just because new gamers don't have the patience to learn about their hobby is wrong. For every new hobbyist with the attention span to learn, there are 3 or more impulse buyers who play with AoS style rules for a little while, then forget about it and move on to the next thing.

It honestly feels like we are racing to the bottom here. What we might eventually end up with is Snakes and Ladders, with models we paint outselves. Is that what we really want?

Main points in summary:

1) 40K is both the lore and the game.
2) Simple rules don't always work.
3) Want games you can "just play", play chess and snakes and ladders.
4) You get out what you put in.

I have several major issues with paying for rules:
1) Changing any rules invalidates printed books immediately.
2) It adds another cost to an already expensive hobby, and is a genuine barrier to new players.
3) It limits knowledge of the rules because most people will not have access to all the rules.
4) It prevents any meaningful list-building software from being released (by anyone), and list-building from fairly involved options is a pretty major aspect of many GW games.
5) Most of the above is addressed by regular edition changes which are really more disruptive than they are helpful. Considering the surge of interest in a new edition followed by the long drop-off towards the end of one, call it a lot of effort for a net gain of nothing.

I also completely reject that art/fluff books won't sell well if they don't contain rules. An enormous amount of the books GW sells are exactly this (novels, Apocrypha, Index Astartes, etc.), and the uptake of them is pretty high.

What free rules *will* do for GW is a number of things:
1) It gives them complete control over the rules. Anything can be updated whenever they want, and the rules become "living". It also means that things like second-hand rule books or piracy are simply removed from the equation.
2) It frees GW from a rigid release cycle. If a faction could do with an extra model, they can just add the rule for it to the online ruleset/army list and release the model. Currently a lot of designs never even make a release because of the way the model releases are centred around army book releases.
3) It keeps players invested in the game (and buying models) if they feel they are relevant and included. Playing with a heavily kludged army book two/three editions out of date or with a get-you-by list printed in a magazine is the opposite of this.
4) Players will still spend their money, but on models and supplies rather than than on books. Since GW make the models in-house, this nets them the greatest profit.
5) Hosting the rules online drives players to the GW website (and store) which is actually a great marketing tool.
6) It makes it "easy" for anyone to pick up some models and start to get invested in the game without needing to pony up a lot of money on something they may not like. And with free rules, players who don't like it won't feel burned (and may therefore try again in the future).
7) It's cheaper for GW too if they don't have to print, store, and ship all those books. It frees up logistical resources for model models too.

As for how shallow AoS is/isn't, that's really got nothing to do with the rulebooks. The setting was brand new and there wasn't 30 years of background to draw from. The novels that were released in support of AoS's launch were frankly awful, and a perfect example of why many people do ignore a lot of the fluff. That precedent is what has people so afraid of what may come in 8E when the storyline moves on.

If you play with or pander to people who only care about building cheesy lists and winning, then it really makes no difference if they read the fluff or not, or whether the game is fun/balanced or not - those people will still do their thing, and you will still do yours. They will likely never play narrative scenarios for example, nor perhaps read the fluff - so why pretend that they will, or that it will make a difference when it hasn't to date?

In the end, I really fail to see why people who like one type of gaming attitude always feel the need to impose it on everyone else. If you want to ignore the points and play a fluffy scenario, there's nothing that has ever stopped you. On the other hand, for those that want to play the game as a tournament format event, having points and army lists permits this; but you don't have to play in tournaments if you don't want to. I actually think (in my experience) that the great majority of people fall somewhere in between - and thus having free rules that are accessible, open, and balanced benefits everyone regardless of how they want to play, and that players will delve into the fluff that interests them (just as they've always done).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't have a problem with them charging $50 for the hardcover rulebooks they release. They're usually very well put-together, and I really like printed materials.

What I do have a problem with is them charging $50 (or even $30) for digital copies of the rules. Those rules should be low-cost, or available with a subscription fee, on the understanding that they'll be updated regularly. Likewise, the physical books should carry with them the implication/warning that they'll be invalidated quickly, but come with vouchers/coupons for free digital downloads.

Currently, GW handles this is in the worst way possible, but it seems like they're moving to a digital strategy for 40k that has regularly-updated army lists and rules, with "seasonal" changes. Which is a good change, but it'll depend on the final implementation.

All that said, I see why they charge for the rules, though--unlike their competitors, GW has players who are playing with armies bought/painted 10+ years ago. If they aren't interested in a new army, the only way to get revenue out of them is to convince them to buy a new rulebook. Which isn't an enviable business position to be in. I'm not saying this justifies the model they've decided to do (I think free rules with subscription-based access to a full, continually-updated rules library is the way to go), but I don't fault them for sticking to printed rules this long either.

berzerkmonkey posted:

1) No, it just modifies a particular sentence/section. An FAQ or update doesn't invalidate anyone's printed book. Are you referring to an edition change?
2) The hobby, no matter if it is GW, or Malifaux, or whatever, is already expensive. If you can pay for models but can't afford a rulebook, maybe you should be looking for another hobby.
2a) I do, however, agree with you when it comes to 40+ codexes. If this is your argument, I'm on board.
3) This is ridiculous. You could say the exact same thing with digital distribution. I'd go as far to say that print makes rules more accessible, just like it makes information more accessible. Gutenberg's press is famous for a reason.
4) There are plenty of army builder options out there, plenty are free.
5) Yes, edition changes are disruptive, but they do shake things up and increase interest in a game system. Look how much people are talking about 8th ed. People are coming out of the woodwork saying they're excited for the edition because 7th is such a mess.
1) "Free Rules" is a misnomer. They are provided free, only to cost when you print them off because you need a physical copy to refer to during games. Unless you can play with a laptop. Not everybody has good enough eyesight to read tiny writing on a phone/tablet (and yes, they can still paint tiny details.)
2) List Building Software: This has always been a grey to black area anyway in regards to 3rd parties reproducing the rules from copyrighted sources. Battlescribe is the worst for this, though some aspects have begun to refer to the BRB. A lot of people use Battlescribe to replace the codexes/supplements. If GW developed/bought Battlescribe and continued with the model they are using, then there would be no copyright issue.
3) There is a lot of competition for digital storage space. When smartphones were first released, 8GB was seen as huge, now, 16GB is BARE MINIMUM most people can cope with, with options up to 128GB if not more. So, storing downloaded rules means you have to sacrifice other aspects of your life. Toting a rulebook or however many around isn't so bad in some cases.
4) New Players: Since GW brought out the Getting Started Boxed Sets, they have all included a "Straight from the box" formation, and many instruction books now have BASIC profiles etc. While this enables new players to get things going in a basic manner, how are they going to know which model (for example) is the sergeant, or get painting ideas/exposure to other chapters without the wealth of information in the codex?
5) New editions: This has been an issue since 3rd edition was dropped. GW seem to be searching for something from 40K, and they don't appear to have found it yet. I've thought that 7th edition is one of the best editions I have played after 2nd. It is deep, provides many new ways to build armies, and with the new range of large models, allows for some great story-driven games/campaigns/narratives/scenarios to be played out.

At the end of the day, free rules can only take you so far, yes, there is the "living" aspect to it, however, if we are approaching the best rules system GW can design, there should be fewer edition-wide changes, but what is the "cost" of free rules? Will all other Marine chapters be wiped out because GW only includes Ultramarines Transfers in their boxes now? Will Ultramarines become the ONLY Codex chapter allowed in the era of "free rules" to ensure GW don't have to rerelease multi-chapter sheets?

There is no such thing as a "Rigid Release Cycle", in the sense you mean. It's something that has evolved from 3rd edition, and, when they didn't get it quite right, they started tinkering with it more frequently. I mean, 7th isn't really an old system now, is it?

8th could benefit from something more along the lines of this:

Update rulebooks with the FAQ/Errata either incorporated into the material (little text boxes that ask/answer questions as they go) or as a reference section at the end.

Update all non-decurion codexes to fit the same as codexes after Space Marines.

Run a yearly faction supplement, or even half-yearly with a book like Angels of Death, nothing too out of most people's budget, but something that re-energizes the faction, and brings it in line with the others.
OR
Publish all rules books with tear-out pages, where the pages can be included in a binder/set of pockets, and pages are re-released as and when they need to be. When new units are released for a faction, those rules appear in White Dwarf initially, then when there are enough new releases, an AoD style book, with, yup, tear out pages to add to the Codex.

Remember, White Dwarf HAS been a vessel for new units and rules, and is coming back towards that.

However, ensuring every rule is free, and should always be so? You don't get the durability from home-printed that you do from published.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought you were arguing against print? You've got me confused now.
Rules being free adds an awful lot to the game in that resources can be freely developed. A rules wiki, for example. Easy to update FAQs into digital copies, a lower barrier to entry to grow the hobby, and heck, goodwill gained from all the player base.

I agree that rulebooks should exist, and they should contain the nice art, good format, all the fluff you could want and a full and comprehensive list of rules.
But why should you pay to play? You have shelled out hundreds of pounds on models... Why then should you pay for the privilege of using them?
Why should you pay to have access to a specific formation, despite the fact you have already paid for the models? It's pay to win, it's elitist, and fewer and fewer companies are doing it nowadays.

Heck, how are you even meant to know what you want to buy without reading the rules first? Buy a £30 book, and hope that you find what you're looking for? That's ridiculous.

Digital and books aren't superior to one or the other. They are different. You can comfortably buy a tablet for less than the cost of a GW codex. I guarantee the tablet will be valid for longer, battery life taken into account. :P
That said, I like having books too. Own the book for every faction I play (except inferno in HH. Bit skint at the moment) I just don't like being forced into buying them.

Take another gaming system for example- infinity by corvus belli. Free rules, as in completely. Got the first two armies for the game (one for me and one for my wife), got to grips with the rules, and once I was sure it was the game for me, I went out and I bought the book.
I still have the digital download on my phone and tablet, because sometimes it's nice to have a backup. The fact it was free didn't stop me buying it. But it did mean I was a lot less hesitant to buying into a new game system.

GW should take note of that at least. If nothing else, then for its core rules.

I remember the time when the Core Rules were ONLY available in the starter boxed set.

I know what you are saying about the Codexes, supplements, campaigns, etc. However, if those books were all around the AoD/TL price range, they would be more accessible, especially if the rules sheets were completely separate from the rest of the book. Meaning you could store the sheets, or trade/give the ones you didn't need to a friend or somebody else.

Sure, GW may be lacking in locations. However, that is something they should be looking at. Either by opening more stores or supporting locations that already sell their products. Provide them with a set to have intro games on/with. Sure, that's down to the store, but wouldn't they want to do it to make more sales and build a community to perhaps purchase other things they sell?

Every player must acquire a rulebook. Whether that's included in the starter boxed set, which is usually great value, even if you only want half of it. The other half can either be used to practice against or sold/turned into scenery. There is always the option of eBay or second-hand markets. Sure, you are still buying them. But nobody said you had to fork out for the hardback collection did they?

Internet-based rules - many people find physical copies easiest to work with. With that in mind, why not have decent copies of things that will last, rather than scrappy pieces of paper that get damaged far more easily? Quality, one of the hallmarks of GW products is what we are after here.

If GW, and other companies, by extension, treated their customers fairly and ethically, we wouldn't see majour releases followed by edition changes that invalidate both the previous rules, and entire factions people will have spent hundreds, if not thousands on.

I do agree that the background is one of the most irreplaceable parts of this hobby. Which is why the AoS release was so awful. It totally destroyed the WHFB setting. We have been assured that won't happen with 40K, as I am cautiously optimistic that will be adhered to. Rules, though, I am still very suspicious.

Sure, GW should be easily accessible. That should mean employing more people, reducing the time stores are shut, and having stores in more locations.

GW's biggest mistake was becoming a public company. By doing that, they announced to the world they were more interested in profits, which drove most edition changes than they were the people who kept them afloat. Dissatisfied players left in droves, and allowed other companies to gain more market share.

The analogy was supposed to represent the difference between 40K as we know it, and the AoS-style changes people keep asking for. Sorry. Does that make it a bit clearer?

By all means, give the BASIC rules out. As long as GW make it clear that a more comprehensive version is available through whatever means they make available. They will need to make it clear that armies function differently with the full rules system, including the support of army books.

If I'm honest, I've tried AoS. The downloadable rules lacked the depth I enjoy, before I downloaded, I played in store.

Nothing has turned me on to AoS, and I doubt anything will.

With rules in boxes, and stores available, surely we are past the stage where 40K can be summed up in 4 pages?

Personally, I dislike the spoon-feed system many games are going towards. It feels lazy, and credits players with no intelligence.

One thing we should all remember though, GW will do whatever they want, and we'll be left to try and pick up whatever we like.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

do not start foodchat you know the next thing that'll happen is a vitriolic screed about ketchup
The general public is becoming more aware that processed food is toxic and full of chemicals. We’re understanding that organic is a better option and it’s better to make something at home with fresh, organic ingredients than to buy it from the store. There are certain store bought little things though that we may not think much about making ourselves because they seem simple, i’m talking about condiments like mustard, sauces, dressings and ketchup. Whether you’re a meat eater or a vegan you may still love that ketchup taste and use it on a variety of foods or to dip foods into. Recently I was doing some research on high fructose corn syrup and what I found shocked me.

I’ll get to that more in a minute, but first I want to share with you why you should read and understand the heinz ketchup ingredient label. At first glance you may think that there are a few questionable ingredients but by digging deeper you’ll actually find it’s not only not healthy but extremely toxic and in my personal opinion quite dangerous to consume over time.

Here’s the heinz “ketchup” ingredient label:

If you aren’t already familiar with how ingredient labels work, the label lists ingredients in order from most to least in the product, meaning that tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes is what is in this ketchup most, followed secondly by distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup etc. Onion powder and natural flavoring are a small percentage of the overall content of this bottle. Now that you understand this I want to share with you what is actually in heinz ketchup served at mostly every restaurant, fast food or not in America and in many other countries.

Here’s the full ingredient list:

1. Tomato Concentrate

2. Distilled Vinegar

3. High Fructose Corn Syrup

4. Corn Syrup

5. Salt, Spice, Onion Powder, Natural Flavor etc.

When I first read this label I laughed to myself because Heinz is already trying to trick you, the consumer into thinking it’s a healthy condiment by labeling two of the ingredients differently even though they are the exact same ingredient. Can you guess which two? It’s quite obvious right? High fructose corn syrup and corn syrup are the same exact thing, they are both ‘high fructose corn syrup’ but they are going with adding a second corn syrup name to try to trick you into thinking there are more ingredients than there really are for two reasons.

First, they probably want you to think that corn syrup is healthier than high fructose corn syrup so they separate the two. They also want you to think there is a difference, which there is not and lastly they most likely did this because consumers are becoming aware of the higher the ingredient on the ingredient list the more there is contained in the product. So if they just took “High Fructose Corn Syrup” and put that on the label with no ‘corn syrup’ that would probably be much higher on the list. The ingredient label may look more like this:

1. High Fructose Corn Syrup

2. Tomato Concentrate

3. Distilled Vinegar

4. Salt, Spices etc.

Their label would be ruined! It would create transparency and show you that you’re buying and eating more corn syrup from GMO corn than ACTUAL tomato based ketchup. This is just the start too, wait until you understand the rest of the label. This is already a tomato-red flag in my opinion though. They are already using the labeling system to try to deceive you. The second issue I have with heinz ketchup and another reason why I will not consume it is that they use distilled vinegar. Guess where most vinegar comes from? Genetically Modified Corn.

With the high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup and distilled vinegar we already have three corn based ingredients in what should be tomato tasting ketchup, but wait! there’s more.

The label goes on to say ‘salt, spice, onion powder, natural flavoring’ at the end. The salt they use is the cheapest form of salt that can be bought which is the type of salt that causes high blood pressure, toxicity in the body and mineral imbalances (high sodium in the blood) which leads to many health challenges if consumed too frequently. They go on the label to say ‘natural flavors’ and what they mean by that? Only God knows. If we look at the rest of the heinz label (as you can see below) you’ll notice that there is no fiber or protein but there is sodium and sugar. Where does the sugar come from? Maybe ‘natural flavor’ is sugar. You’ll see that 1 tbsp is 7% of your daily sugar value so each spoonful of ketchup you consume on anything you increase your sodium daily value by 7%, count away… 7-14-21-28. Do you see how quick that adds up? you could consume a large chunk of your daily sodium value with just a condiment, let alone the food you eat along with it.

There are multiple reasons to avoid heinz ketchup for the sake of your health and well-being but i’ll sum it up in 3 solid reasons why you should avoid heinz ketchup like the plague and why i’ll be doing so also.

1. High Fructose Corn Syrup: Heinz Ketchup is LOADED with high fructose corn syrup. I wonder if that would be the number one ingredient in the ketchup if they didn’t play this “list the ingredient twice under two names” trick on us. High fructose corn syrup is extremely unhealthy and toxic. It acts like a sugar in the body when it’s metabolized, somewhat… only worse! because it comes from genetically modified corn it is even more toxic. It spikes your blood sugar levels and will damage the liver over time. High fructose corn syrup can lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, a weakend immune system and so much more. You may already know this but what frightened me even more was what I read from Dr. Mark Hyman’s website recently. He noted that an FDA researcher contacted the corn producers to send her a barrel of high fructose corn syrup for testing, they wouldn’t send her a barrel even though she attempted to receive one multiple times. Finally, she changed her approach and asked a new beverage company on the market for a barrel. They sent her one gladly. After doing the testing she found that high fructose corn syrup contains high levels of Mercury, an extremely toxic heavy metal. This information and research comes from an FDA researcher! Mercury affects the brain, nervous system, can lead to autism and it really harms children. I highly recommend avoiding heinz ketchup or ANY other food containing high fructose corn syrup with your children.

Remember, Heinz decided to list high fructose corn syrup and ‘corn syrup’ as separate so they actually have a higher level of high fructose corn syrup in ketchup than you’d think, meaning higher levels of mercury also if their corn syrup correlates with corn syrup that has been tested thus far.

Not only has high fructose corn syrup been proven to be unhealthy and toxic, genetically modified foods have also, this is both a GMO food and a toxic poisonous sweetener.

2. Distilled Vinegar & Sugar: Heinz ketchup contains distilled vinegar as another ingredient and on their label they list 4 grams of sugar per serving which is each tablespoon. Distilled vinegar is created from genetically modified corn which is grown with toxic pesticides and chemicals. Ingesting this in the form of vinegar is not beneficial in any way to your health, it’s only toxic. They list ‘natural flavors’ on the ingredients and list 4 grams of sugar above it. This leads me to believe they not only added high fructose corn syrup in a all to generous amount but they added sugar also and labeled it as ‘natural flavors’ on the label. Most sugar in mass produces products come from GMO sources. GMO beet sugar is the most common used. If the toxic high fructose corn syrup wasn’t bad enough for your pancreas, liver, metabolism, immune system, nervous system and brain the super generous Heinz Corporations decided to add some more chemicals, gmo’s and sugar into your ketchup to add fuel to the fire for you!

This much sugar without any fiber or anything else has been shown to spike blood sugar levels and begins to weigh on your pancreas and your liver.

3. No Nutritional Value Whatsoever: Heinz has NO fiber and NO protein and NO nutrition in their ketchup. The miniscule amount of ‘tomato paste’ may contain a very very small amount of cooked lycopene that won’t even be available by your body to absorb. This ketchup is a chemical poo poo storm of genetically modified ingredients, sugar and toxic sugar like substances. It’s void of any nutrition yet full of GMO’s, sugar, and chemicals and even possibly mercury, a heavy metal that is extremely toxic to the body.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ketchup is a legit trash condiment for idiots. Mayo too.

Mustard's my jam though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

The only way to eat a hotdog is to throw it out and get a sausage instead. Then eat it with hot peppers and mustard.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
M'i omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I fell behind and just caught up all at once. Way too many things I wanted to reply to in great detail and at this point attempting to do so would not work out well so I'll just post some random stream-of-thought responses based on my undoubtedly poor and rapidly fading recollection of all the garbage I just kind of halfassedly read and mostly skimmed through.

all hobbies are luxuries
gw has made some good decisions lately but their legacy of bad decisions has built up such an enormous backlog of poo poo that it's going to take a lot more than one year of a minor improvement in the ratio of good to bad decisions to shovel through it all
age of sigmor is a bad game that has made gw lots of money. making more money doesn't make it good. good for stockholders maybe but nobody should buy gw stock.
gw's miniatures are made with a very high production standard. that is one measure of quality.
gw's miniatures in the last few years seem to mostly be sculpted by committee, using a lot of digital tools and not much artistic merit. depending on what you want out of them, that might matter a lot to you, or not at all.
everyone who uses the phrase "the hobby" to refer to anything specific to GW is probably too far gone to help
if you regurgitate the arguments of idiots you're not trolling, you're just supporting idiots. if you want to trick someone by saying something that nobody should believe could come out of your mouth, you'll need to better establish your reputation as not an idiot first
the artistic merit of a miniature is important if you're evaluating it as a work of art.
the functional purpose of a game piece is to work as a game piece, and that's the way it should be evaluated
when you're using nominal works of art as game pieces, you have competing priorities that may not be well aligned
gws miniatures are a problem in part because they often put artistic merit above game function, but then still fail as works of art.
if you just want to play a game, proxying anything that works as the game piece should be completely fine with everyone. If you want to build a vignette that tells a story by assembling works of art, then thematic and artistic consistency with the works of art may be important to you.
if your goal is just to test the purity of your fellow players' devotion to your tribe, insisting on brand loyalty is a convenient filtering mechanism

infinity minis are well sculpted but the company has a serious mysogyny problem
amusingly though, they're getting better about it recently, which is exactly the argument gw defenders in this thread are pushing to justify continuing to support gw
but infiniti is bad because it's too anime, and I think you will find that anime is bad

malifaux is too goth

warmahordes is too steep of a learning curve to learn all the intricate nonintuitive tricks, you can't play by just attacking with your dudes or whatever

they're all three just ridiculously better games than warhammer though, like it's not even close

gw is still a bad company, let me count a few of the ways
they have a useless chain of stores that cost them too much money to run, and pass those costs on to the consumers through higher product markups
like seriously you still can't count on a one-man gw store to be open during reasonable hours, have room to play games in, have products you want in stock, or have a sales person available to help you if a single (1) other customer got there a little before you did
they are still routinely increasing prices on ancient kits instead of what literally every other company on earth does, which is discount old product
they still abuse independent stockists
they renamed a ton of their stuff to really stupid names in a completely misguided attempt to protect IP. this does not actually protect their IP in any way more than it was before, and no, they're not even using them to register as trademarks (of course they aren't, that would be ridiculously expensive)
the former horrible ceo is still clinging to the company's executive board, and being paid for it, like a bloated leech, and it shows
the company's website is a laughingstock. it functions only as a web store, and fails in many amusing ways at even doing that. it does little or nothing to introduce the company's products in a coherent or accessible way, goes out of its way to present products based not on suitability but price, is not the location of what minimal social engagement the company deigns to do, and constantly decides you're not in the country you are in.
the company's policy of never having sales runs contrary to a century of business evolution
the company still seems to evaluate its products solely based on sales figures, while ignoring critical factors that affect those sales like: recency of the item's release, utility of the item in their own games, price vs utility, the degree to which customers feel embarassed even picking up the item in a store because of its name, and more
the company still has no debt, which sounds fine until you consider the annual impact of missed opportunities to invest up front in something that would pay off long term. there is a reason virtually all public and most private companies borrow, it's literally why corporations exist in the first place (to raise investments while shielding the company owners from the financial risk of being ruined if the company's risks don't pan out).
gw is still not taking advantage of the enormous success of the total war: warhammer game to sell physical games and miniatures products to a large set of potential new customers, even though the game came out like a year ago now or something
gw's annual conventions are still just massive sales events where nothing is actually on discount and you pay to get in
the magazines still suck and are again just ads you pay for that give you nothing you couldn't have gotten in a blog post or by browsing their web store (ok I guess at least the magazine remembers your country preference from one visit to the next, lol)
gw as far as I know still has pretty terrible/abusive policies towards its employees. you still have to basically act like you're joining a cult to get hired, you will be paid terribly, and you will either burn out quickly or be fired due to failing to meet wildly unrealistic sales quotas
gw is still charging more for its products in australia and new zealand than it costs to buy them in the UK and ship them to australia and new zealand, even after currency conversion inefficiencies, for absolutely no fathomable reason. it clearly doesn't even help them make more money in those countries. And they still go out of their way to prevent anyone from engaging in the obviously huge arbitrage opportunity this presents, by going after any online retailer sending products internationally to those countries
oh yeah you can't advertise a discount on gw's products online, becuase that would compete with their always-full-price webstore. For some reason this approach basically works, because people buy a lot of gw products at full price direct from their webstore even though you can always get them at a discount from an online retailer if you're willing to jump through the hoops necessary to place an order with them
gw still doesn't test and revise its games rules with actual players, just in house, and the results are obvious
gw's facebook page is a joke
gw's got no forums
gw's free easy rules aren't free or easy or sometimes even rules
gw's rules writers still haven't learned how to write unambiguous rules
gw's approach to attracting girls and women to play their games is still hilariously nonexistent, because their sales figures say only boys and men buy their stuff, so obviously that's just how things are
gw is lazily cashing in on some of its ancient games' lingering popularity by republishing them without even the most desultory attempt to make them be good games in the modern era, and for some reason it works because of I don't know, either nostalgia, or people just want the models and it's the only option for getting them at less than full gw packaged retail?
gw's settings no longer work as satire directed at the thatcher administration or the horrors of the cold war but the company cannot seem to find the ability or will or maybe just desire to make its fiction relevant to modern concerns like maybe terrorism or populism or global warming or something

I could keep going but who cares. I'm sure someone will disagree with all of these points and feel free to type three thousand words refuting them but I don't care. Today the really sweet outdoor semiferal cat we occasionally see and feed when we see him limped up to my patio bloody and with a broken jaw and weighing like four pounds, matted in his own piss, and between the $250 the cat rescue people threw in and the $350 I put in, we have enough money just to find out if his jaw can be wired (he'll have a shot at making it with a month or three of intensive care in my bathroom) or not (we can't pony up for reconstructive surgery with a metal plate, that's thousands of dollars, so he's done).

In one day we've spent more on a cat someone abandoned than I've spent in the last 20 years on GW products. If he dies tonight it will have been money better spent because at least he's getting painkillers and sedation instead of slowly starving to death under a bush somewhere.

If you are thinking of spending a pile of money on the latest horseshit from GW, that is your choice of course, but perhaps I can encourage you to give some money to your local animal rescue and just play with the toys you already have for a while.

• Locked thread