Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are those recipes legible if you get a better quality screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You really should, the whole movie is like that.

The humor in Trolls is surprisingly dark and morbid, yet never cynical. I'm having trouble thinking of something else to compare it to.

It's not exactly on Roald Dahl's level, but it's aiming for something similar, I think.

I mean it even has the "turning into a blueberry" thing from Chocolate Factory as a sight gag.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just realized both main characters' parents risk their lives to save their children, and succeed, but only one of them survives the experience -- which in turn informs both their kids' outlook on life. Some nice symmetry there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Hey so I just started watching Trolls but I wanted to say something before I get too far into the movie and forget about it:

I really like that they showed the Bergen stuff FIRST so that when you get the scene with Branch and Poppy at the beginning you don't immediately side with Poppy because Branch is being to negative. You are shown first thing in the movie the threat the Trolls face, and Branch is totally right to worry about the village making so much noise the Bergen find them. Usually in these movies they'd have Poppy be shown as 100% normal and cool and Branch as 100% crazy. But instead the way Trolls handles it you can easily see Branch's point of view amongst all the happy trolls

Yeah it's incredibly deft about navigating the space between "making yourself miserable is bad, don't do that" and "yeah the world is completely hosed and wants to eat you."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

Disney works have been fairly risky in terms of writing, though.

You're kidding, right? About the only film in recent memory I can think of this would apply to is Maleficent, which I respect for the effort it made but didn't really pan out.

e: I mean maybe if you include Pixar under the "Disney" umbrella.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 14, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i'd fuckin watch that

In addition to echoing the sentiment, let me share Masaaki Yuasa's Kick-Heart, which features a wrestling nun:

https://vimeo.com/channels/559477/70299629

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unmature posted:

Goddammit that poster is amazing.

I can't decide if I'd want her to be a kick-rear end tomboy who loves to rumble, or a straight up stereotypical "girly" princess who also kick tons of rear end to have the message that you can in fact like "girly" girl things and still be rad as gently caress and kick rear end. Most media tends to go one way or the other, they're either all tomboy or all girly. And there's so much stuff that has a girl liking pink things and the message is "DON'T LIKE PINK THINGS."

Just do a feature-length adaptation of The Princess Who Kicked Butt.

quote:

“I won’t marry him,” said the princess, thinking it best to let her father know her position on the matter as soon as possible.

The queen turned to her. “Oh, my poor darling, how cruel of this enchanter! People will suffer, no matter how you choose!”

“It’s kind of you to notice,” said the Evil Enchanter.

quote:

The royal hostler bowed as she said, “I need a horse.”

“Of course.” He gestured toward a lean midnight black mare. “This is Arrives Yesterday, the fastest horse in the land.”

“Won’t do,” said the princess.

“Of course not,” said the royal hostler, stepping to the next stall, which held a broad-shouldered golden stallion. “This is Carries All, the sturdiest horse in the land.”

“Won’t do,” said the princess. She stepped to the next stall, which held a wiry horse with black and white splotches on its gray hide. “And this?”

The hostler swallowed and said, “This is Hates Everything, the angriest horse in the land.”

“Perfect,” said the princess. And before the hostler could say another word, she saddled Hates Everything and rode out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Timon and Pumbaa Are Dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't seen Lion King 1.5, I'm just amused by its existence in this context.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright I've never seen Trollhunters, but that brown monster in the middle is adorable.

Teagone, is the cute brown monster a main character or at the very least does he or she appear in most episodes? If they do, I kind of want to watch Trollhunters now. The blue guy with the sword is also cool.

He's part of the main cast and has shown up in every episode I've seen, although I'm only up to four.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

This thread is going to Bee the reason a Bee Movie 2 will exist

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Ah, that's right, forgot about that whole "Ten years we've been rusting, / needing so much more than dusting, / needing exercise, a chance to use our skills!" lyric.

In fairness, maybe he spent the first few years trying to keep up appearances and then fell deeper and deeper into depression?

Larryb posted:

Also that the main villian is literally Satan.

Better yet, Cat Satan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

alright, now look up the reason why the little girl wasn't in the sequel.

:staredog:

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Barsi

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You know, I just realized: if you spend even 15 minutes thinking about what to title a movie about a (magical?) dog who plays rock music, "Doghouse Rock" should occur no later than halfway through that thought process. There might be something better that I didn't get to because I only thought about it for five.

e: I guess Clifford the Big Red Dog beat them to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZC71NWV5c

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

I might write some kind of screed about how the only interesting thing in Titan AE is that the story revolves around the necessity of genocide to create lebensraum for the human race, with the main enemy having attacked mankind precisely to pre-empt this in an act of self-defense. But then I might turn into SMG and that would be bad.

:justpost:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well, it probably does deserve the Best Disney Movie of the Year award.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't seen Inside Out yet but I'm with you on Big Hero 6.

I'm biased though because, really, I cannot express how disappointed I was when it went from the setup for a movie about a kid finding himself through underground robot fights to a generic superhero teamup. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

seriously though give me Disney's Robot Jox / Real Steel

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

Disney's Aliens Ate My Homework, pleaaaaase :pray:

that would also be good, Bruce Coville is by far the better of the two children's authors who got me into horror

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They should adapt his "my teacher is an alien" series, which is some kind of united coalition of utopian aliens who are horrified by humans and deciding whether or not to just blow the earth up.

That's the one she's talking about!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

No, I'm talking about the one with the Galactic Patrol.

Okay I'm completely lost then, this is the only Aliens Ate My Homework I know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Ate_My_Homework

e: oh okay those are actually two different series, poo poo, I was thinking of My Teacher Flunked the Planet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Princess Mononoke for 1997. I'll fight you.

It's not shade on Princess Mononoke, EoE is just that good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Much more difficult year: 1999 had both Adolescence of Utena and The Iron Giant.

Like, jesus christ.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

https://youtu.be/1JG6f5_37tg

Clip of the song "Gaston" from Beast '17

It's.... not very rousing.

I like some of the ideas that went into this -- LaFou having to poke and prompt the other singers into their lines, and Gaston coming off a little more like a dandy than a brute is something you could make work even if it's a bit of a departure -- but yeah, as a whole, it's not doing much for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

M'Onion Shrekli

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

and this is news

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

:qq:: "no one says no to Gaston!"

:allears:: "darn right!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like the first half of Gaston's song is LaFou gushing about how hot he is

they don't get into his underhanded qualities or his competitiveness until other folks start singing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This is basically what they did with The Jungle Book.

in that case it's both true to the source material (well, more or less, in a shorthand kind of way) and also really cool and good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

In other news, there were some great Hexxus cels on eBay (I think there's one left) and I eventually decided on this one, so hello new villain cel!

I love Kathy Zielinski's work so I'm super stoked to finally have something she worked on.

jesus, I wish I could afford $550 to spend on something like that

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 9, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

Animation cels are art and priced accordingly. Some of Ray Bradbury's old cels are being sold at the moment, including a weird number from Charlotte's Web.

No I get that, it's just that there's very little collectible art that inspires that reaction in me.

Like the only decoration I've put up in my room all through college and grad school is a newspaper ad for a Blue Oyster Cult concert; nothing else has struck my fancy. (Entirely by coincidence, the poster is also of a skeleton. :yohoho: )

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

fatal farm is a national treasure

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

Animation cels aren't like mass produced prints or posters, it's a hand drawn single thing. If it's from a movie you like a lot then that's pretty special.

I... know? Like, does my original post read as sarcastic or something? It wasn't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I am genuinely envious of anyone who owns a Hexxus cel.

Also KyoAni is habitually gross about sexual harassment-based humor even when they're not doing anything worse.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 7, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

I was curious about Quetzlcoatl because I love Mesoamerican myth, and was wondering what anime would do with it (and trying to figure out what the snake form was since it's impossible to tell in that gif). As it happens, they made her a woman with big boobs who is summoned by an 11 year old named "Shota" who thinks she's a succubus because she's so sexy??

This is one of the "good anime" this season????

It isn't, ADTRW just has poo poo taste.

The actual good anime this season is ACCA, a slow-moving show about a mid-level bureaucrat who gets caught up in a conspiracy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Avshalom posted:

i'm a villain

but do you sing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Would I need to watch seasons 1-4 of SJ, or is this a decent jumping on point?

You should watch seasons 1-4 because Samurai Jack is really drat good outside of a few stinkers, and even some of the stinkers are adorable in their nineties sensibility. (See: Jack vs. the Rave.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

This makes me a hell of a lot more interested in the BatB remake than anything else I've seen.

Pretty much. It could still easily be awful but risky-awful is always better than boring-safe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Not a single Megara or Jasmine anywhere to be seen; do people just have horrible taste or are they disqualified for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I have a friend who is constantly showing me universally reviled movies and explaining why he likes them, and then I go "I KNOW RIGHT?!" :haw: and we bond over it.