Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I finally saw Moana. Really liked some parts (Maui rules, the crab rules) but in a lot of it (especially the first act) I had a sense of the hero's journey story beats conspicuously clunking into place and it didn't really resonate with me emotionally. Lin Manuel-Miranda did a good job but the dude has an awful habit of going for the most cringeworthy/obvious rhymes (please never rhyme "oh" with "yo" again please).

I don't know--I was kind of assuming it was going to be a lock for the best animated feature nomination, because it has a princess and songs, but now I'm not so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's a little weird that Disney spent enough money to put a man on the Moon building these CGI puppets to mimic realistic physics in great detail so that posing and rendering them from that point on would be click-and-drag simple, and then just photoshop the same half-dozen prerendered cutouts of them over and over for all their promotional material.

Speaking as a maker of CGI puppets, I'd just as soon not be involved every time someone in marketing wants to tweet a character in a Santa hat, haha

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

The other thing is, it's not so much the software being a barrier for entry (they use Maya), but the Twitter team isn't really trained in posing characters correctly so you'd probably end up getting stuff like this released as Official Canon Disney Art.

e - I think they did have some B-team work when the movie came out, but I'd assume they still got paid more than whoever photoshopped the beard on Clawhauser.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 28, 2016

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

Oh hell, Rango, time to rewatch that yet again.

I liked Zootopia as much as the next poster, but Rango was on a whole 'nother level of moviemaking. Between the Chinatown homage and the incredible textures, it was phenomenal.
I saw the portfolio of an ILM guy who said he'd hand-UV mapped and hand-painted every single scale on Rattlesnake Jake.

Which is I guess impressive but also why the hell would you ever do that

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

My favorite bit of Lion King 2 animation is when Simba kind of slides into the frame like a Flash tween. It cracked me up the first time I watched it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I would have been up for a "shiny" reprise, personally.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Das Boo posted:

So, like... does anyone actually enjoy watching a cartoon character dance?

At least one guy has built a little internet career out of it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Did any of you know Prince of Egypt was on Bluray? I didn't until I got it.

Where'd you get that collection/what all is on it? I can't find it on Amazon.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

lmao at Antz being included in a prestige ghibliesque blu-ray animation package

96% tomatometer baby

The delicate pastel of Princess Bala(?) is pretty funny though

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I finally saw Kubo and I don't think it deserves best animated but I'd love to see it get the visual effects award. Laika is basically running up the score on anyone who's ever done stop motion animation at this point. I thought Zootopia was excellent, Moana way too unambitious. Haven't seen the other two. :smith:

I did think the Kubo script was better than the other Laika movies I've seen, if uneven. Hopefully it's the beginning of an upward trend?

My SO is on the Samurai Jack reboot, super excited!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

There's a not a lot of studios who could bring to bear the kind of resources it took to make that movie, so it's a bit of a moot point I think.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

wuffles posted:

The only thing Zootopia was missing was a great villain. I mean, I adore Jenny Slate and I liked Bellwether well enough, but I'm pretty sure that Disney has enough money now that they could have exhumed and reanimated Milt Kahl, uploaded the requisite 3D skills into his brain like neo in the matrix, and made him the character lead for an antagonist with more presence on screen.

Bellwether wasn't super memorable, but I wonder if a stronger villain might have hurt the messaging. The more the movie blames foxism on a shadowy cabal rather than historical/institutional prejudice, the less relevant it becomes as a parable. Maybe that's still a needle that could have been threaded, though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Her using tigers as stage props is pretty problematic tbqh

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Not really. That's just the Iggy Azalea meme, that she's appropriating predator culture, that she doesn't understand its authentic roots, etc. In reality, all of those dancers are paid very well, their families are very happy for them, they are privately parleying their own newfound privileges onto either their own 'personal endeavors' or 'giving back to the community,' whatever. There is functionally no difference between what Iggy Azalea does and what Shakira and Rihanna do.

The problem is not the superficial content of Gazelle's pop music. The problem is the hegemony of capitalism.

I'm just teeing them up here, aren't I.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Unmature posted:

I made a video about what a dick John K is and one of the dickiest things he ever did: https://youtu.be/TCK-4S7EHbA
I never got around to watching these videos, but I watched this and now I'm blowing through the rest. This is a really great channel :D

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Counterpoint: Nick Wilde is clearly best Disney princess. Just look at him:

Meg in a tie.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPY3PdnmrY

Here's the video of the Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Zootopia mission made by the Disney Infinity team.

This is...haunting.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 11, 2017

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

The Silver Snail posted:

Yeesh, I'd never seen Infinity in action before but that's way worse than I expected. Skylanders at least had a passable game to go along with their 15 dollar toys.
In fairness, it looks like Infinity bet a lot more on user-generated content than Skylanders--and the "official" missions look more like examples of what you can do w/the editor than real game levels.

But yeah, the end result is definitely not quite landing, haha

I'm so glad Youtube exists.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 12, 2017

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

mycot posted:

I'm so confused; I thought Infinity was dead, so was this released post-humously?

This is from March last year. Infinity was around at that point--i think Zootopia was the last Disney property that was added.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I don't think it's an unfounded criticism, but it's a little overstated--Pixar has 13 feature films, not counting sequels. Disney has well over 30 2D-animated movies (many of which look super similar to each other) so it's easy to pick out the outliers. The "samey" 3D Disney movies number maybe 6 or 7. So there's going to be plenty of time and opportunity for them to diversify their art direction.

Also the issue of samey "appealing" female leads is somewhat distinct from the house style issue, I would say. Frozen is pretty egregious on that point, haha.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Not sure if the thread covered this yet, but Sing's getting a loving sequel.

Yesterday I was talking to two of the mothers in my office about movies they went to with their kids over the summer. Apparently Sing was the most beloved, and both their kids can't stop singing "Oh my god. Look at her butt." I asked if they also saw Moana, and I got blank looks.

Disney is finished.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

The fact that they created a "hey we're a big name, recognise us!" logo thing with the minion (aping Pixar's Luxo Jr logo) makes me worry they really do think they're on that level

It's definitely in their interest to push their studio as a household name, whether they think they deserve it or not.

I can't wait for people to start saying the new Overwatch trailer "looks just like an Illumination movie." :shepface:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I loved Titan AE as a kid. I watched it again recently with a bunch of friends, and I didn't feel like it's held up. The 2D/CGI mixture has aged really poorly, obviously, but it's also a surprisingly long and convoluted story that's easy to lose track of if you're not giving it your full attention, which may have made it difficult for kids to connect with.

Janeane Garofalo as a kangaroo will never not be good, though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Laika actually poured a yuuuge amount of Nike money into promoting Kubo for the Oscars. Kind of glad it didn't win Best Animated just for that reason.

Although Jungle Book was definitely the most boring possible pick for Best Visual Effects.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

The real joke is the complete lack of LGBTQI representation in modern animated films :colbert:

Remember when people wanted to boycott Finding Dory because two women were standing too close to the same stroller

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

This all rings a bit hollow after watching Peter Rosenthal's trenchant analysis of the original

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Macaluso posted:

John Powell is always the bomb and no one ever notices :(
I noticed the hell out of the Jason Bourne soundtrack.

Also as a kid I'm pretty sure I hummed this song for a year straight.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Crazy Ferret posted:

To contribute scores, I know the Zootopia score has been brought up but I love the track, Some of My Best Friends Are Predators. The buildup is just great and hits me right every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZepueN4yuqw

If nothing else, that was definitely my favorite track title.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Macaluso posted:

The writing, story, and voice acting is all pretty bad. But the animation is pretty good which is something you can't say for most of these weird low effort animated movies that come to theaters somehow.

The environment design is actually pretty cool. If you mute the audio it looks like it could be a solid Rotten Tomatoes 75%

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Reminded me of Zootopia.
This is the dream Clawhauser keeps telling his therapist about

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Any goons at the Samurai Jack premiere last night? I was at the merch table

The show looks dope as hell.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 10, 2017

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Hedrigall is female?

idk that looks like a boy lion.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

In no particular order:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Iron Giant
My Neighbor Totoro
Persepolis*
The Rabbi's Cat*
Zootopia
The Lion King
Spirited Away
Monsters University**
Chicken Run

*Probably ok for kids
**I really liked this movie for having a message of "you might not be able to achieve your dreams"

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Judy bequeathed it to him

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I also think the "nobody liked Avatar and it was the worst movie ever and who even wants these sequels???" meme is one of the most overblown on the internet

Like any time anything is mentioned about Avatar sequels or theme parks these days it leads to a whole bunch of looking around going "But that movie was terrible, ri--right guys?" and looking each other in the eyes to confirm that yes, it is still chic to diss on Avatar
I think it's interesting how Avatar had such an obsessive group of people, at release, who were suicidal because Pandora wasn't real. Are they still around? I'm not really aware of a significant Avatar Fandom (although maybe that'll change when they put out the next five movies or whatever).

I didn't like the movie but I also disliked ever James Cameron movie I've ever seen (inc. Aliens) so I'm maybe not the best judge. I'll probably still go to at least the first sequel, haha

PenguinKnight posted:

There's a German CGI short called "Ugly" that's coming out in June and it looks cool. It embraces a lot of the oddities and glitches that can happen with CGI software.

https://vimeo.com/207505736
This looks cool as hell. The making-of stuff on the Vimeo is pretty interesting.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 15, 2017

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

:stonk: Jim Cameron is the new Jim Jones

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Fangz posted:

I kinda want more shows with a message of "don't be yourself, if 'yourself' is actually a lovely person". That seems a rather more relevant message today.

As middling of a reception as "Monsters University" got, I still love that it committed to a message of "you might fail at your dreams, some people just aren't cut out for some stuff," which is almost heretical for a Disney movie.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

No Hedrigall but were they trying to make that Bigfoot super hot

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Only thing you're missing is Byron Howard drawing fox and bunny and answering Q&A about himself/the industry. No word on a sequel.

He cut his hair. We're never getting a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Fangz posted:

You can go and click play on the facebook page.

Also.

The_Doctor posted:

Is that tiger at the back vogueing?
I was at a Nick Orsi talk where he said that drawing was the inception of the tiger dancers and pretty much singlehandedly sold everyone on the idea.