Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Perfect double feature: Hot Fuzz and Zootopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Zootopia takes place in the same world as other Disney features, but it's after biological warfare wipes out the human race and gives animals advanced mental facilities.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Zootopia is a planet settled by the distant descendants of Doctor Doppler and Captain Amelia.

Here's the chronology:

Bambi -> Peace on Earth -> The Secret of NIMH -> Robin Hood -> Zootopia -> Treasure Planet

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kubo has incredible animation, but it would have been boring without it.

Zootopia has great animation backed up with an excellent screenplay that essentially would have worked as live-action without the animal embellishments.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The live-action remakes sometimes make sense like The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. Not to mention that there were live-action versions before Disney's anyways.

Dumbo would sort of make sense as a CGI remake, but a live-action/animated hybrid horrifies me. Even the CGI isn't blasphemy since Walt remade a few cartoons (like Orphan's Benefit and The Ugly Duckling). The only reason it would even be worth it is that the remake is that radically different. Which will happen since Dumbo is barely over an hour long.

You'd think they'd opt to do Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, The Sword in the Stone, or even The Rescuers first.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aces High posted:

well Maleficent already happened and apparently both Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are in the wings if Beauty and the Beast is a hit

After seeing recent stills for Beauty and the Beast I am more interested in it than I thought I would be, at least as far as costume design goes because I am in love with Gaston's red jacket :swoon:

Oh, I completely forgot about Maleficent. To Disney's credit, it's actually a terrific film and exactly how a remake ought to be handled. Cinderella was great, too.

I'm hesitant about Beauty since the animated film isn't that great in my opinion. I saw it again after not seeing it since I was a kid and it really doesn't hold up well. And Gaston's voice...

(Though, I'm biased since I think Cocteau's film is a masterpiece)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

my favorite part of that post is at the end he bashfully admits to thinking Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast is a masterpiece, like that's weird or something

Not really, just as a comparison. I'm admitting that another film is affecting my perception of another since they're from the same source material.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fair enough. I actually half-agree with you about Maleficient -- it isn't a good movie, but it shows ambition and takes risks, which is more than I can say for most Disney productions.

Cinderella had nothing going for it besides costumes and set design, though.

I didn't expect Disney to take a subversive turn on one of their own films like that.

Cinderella deserves more love, though. Great cast, takes its look after Barry Lyndon, and manages to still be a Disney film. I think it'll get more popularity over time since it's a solid film.

Though, the 1950 film is excellent, too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love the 1950 Cinderella, mice and all. It's got my favorite ending for a villain in any Disney movie -- not Lucifer, who gets the stupid cliched falling death I've complained about before, but Lady Tremaine, whose comeuppance is just that she has to watch Cinderella go off to be happy and it horrifies her. :v:

That calm sort of evil is way more disturbing. I do love how intelligently Cinderella is written as a character. Completely self-sufficient and nothing gets to her until she cracks after the humiliation before the ball.

In fact, I forgot that Eleanor Audley voiced her (she was also Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty). Disney doesn't get enough credit for the stellar voice casting on their films prior to The Jungle Book, which kind of jump started the trend of getting more famous actors to do voice work.

(Also, IMDB says Lucifer survived the fall in the novelization because he was so fat :lol: )

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aces High posted:

While this wasn't exactly a great Jungle Book story I always liked this movie, it was one of those odd gems where things like visuals and the cast take the film from being forgettable to being "hey you guys remember that Jungle Book movie where Westley was the bad guy?"

Though speaking of live action adaptations of old cartoons who remembers this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7ftwkCd2I
That was the only time I ever walked out of a movie, me and my dad went to see it and about 15 minutes in decided to leave and went to Tarzan the next screen over :v:

I haven't seen Dudley Do-Right yet, but I was hoping it was somewhat fun. Brendan Fraser as Dudley is God-tier casting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is awesome. It manages to capture the Jay Ward/Bill Scott humor perfectly.

Lots of throwaway gags like Whoopi Goldberg appearing as Judge Cameo for one scene, a character lamenting that Boris and Natasha's plot sounds like a ripoff of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Robert DeNiro doing the "Are you talking to me" scene as Fearless Leader.

(Though, the 80s Boris and Natasha movie is pretty dire from what I remember)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

I can't wait for An Extremely Zootopia Movie

Hopps & Wilde would be a good one because it sounds like a cop movie.

Either that or Zootopia Confidential.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pick posted:

Speaking of Boomhauer, what are everyone's favorite specific line deliveries in an animated feature?

Like, which specific lines from which films do you think were done exactly right--perfectly delivered?

I'd say these count:

• You said you'd always be there for me!... but you're not...

• You all said I was crazy! Well, who's crazy now? Me--crazy prepared.

• Is this where they buried me?

• And you were mine.

• For nothing makes me happy but their... shining, and their grace.

• Yo-you wanna stay in the tower*?

* You hear me, WDAS?! :argh:

For some reason, "Fire bad. FIRE VERY BAD!" from Hotel Transylvania put me into a laughing fit.

Also, Kylie saying "Apple juice... apple juice flood." in Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's one thing to have a crush on some cartoon animal character when you're eight years old, but it's undeniably creepy coming from an adult.

As for favorite animated films...

I've always been close to the first five Disney features - Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi. I still think Fantasia is the greatest animated feature ever made, if just because no one has been able to top it. Pixar had a great run in the 2000s with Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up.

Nearly anything Ghibli is great, especially Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and The Cat Returns.

Also, the 70s Raggedy Ann & Andy musical is a big guilty pleasure for me, even if it completely falls apart in the second half.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peter O'Toole was perfect casting. I just love how they got one of the greatest actors ever and he nailed it just like everything else he ever played.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not a feature, but The Dover Boys is full of great ones.

A RUNABOUT! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

OH DEAR DORA STANDPIPE, HOW I LOVE HER (father's money)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Crazy Ferret posted:

Bob Hoskins is just perfect in that movie. He really sells that the toons are both believable and unbelievably annoying at the same time. Its great.

Also, I'm partial to the line "Oh my GOD ITS DIP!!!"

Its such a strange movie.

The scene in the theater with him telling Roger how he lost his brother should have gotten him an Oscar.

It's one of those films that gets better with every viewing. I love how it's almost 30 years old and the effects and animation still look incredible.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with a Roger Rabbit sequel is that there's not really any practical way to do traditional animation on that scale anymore. Looney Tunes: Back in Action has some great animation (supervised by Eric Goldberg), but it still required the use of South Korean studios.

Though, it would at least be interesting if they set the sequel in the late 50s/early 60s and took an angle on cartoon studios shutting down for television. Maybe go into the dumbing down of animation and the switch to cheaper work like Hanna-Barbera and Jay Ward.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's also important to note that WFRR is really a neo-noir above anything else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

There are lots of great student films every year that don't get Oscars, presumably because they either don't submit or perhaps the logistics are obtuse (who even submits, the artists? the college? are there idiotic "can't be screened online" rules like some festivals?).

Animation historian Jerry Beck has a blog where he's been posting lists of submitted, but not nominated films for Best Animated Short from the 1950s onward:
http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/cartoons-considered-for-an-academy-award-1986/

Links to prior years near the bottom of the post.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

Honestly, does Richard Williams gain much of anything from animating on 1s instead of 2s? I know it does make the movement more fluid, but as long as the key frames are good does it make enough of a difference to justify doubling the amount of effort involved?

I don't think it's as much using ones, but the trademark of Williams' animation style is having so much detailed movement. One of his walk cycles has a hundred things going on. It's like trying to apply CGI simulations to hand drawn animation. That sort of fluidity doesn't work as well on twos, though some animators really got the most out of that like Rod Scribner (who worked on a lot of Bob Clampett's 40s work) and early 30s Fleischer. Some of the other tricks were using way larger animation sheets and cels (especially on Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure and The Thief and the Cobbler since they were shot in Panavision).

Pretty much anything with the Mockingbird in Paul Grimault's Le Roi et L'oiseau is animated this way and I've seen a lot of Russian animation done on ones with high fluidity. Though, I think even the 30s Fleischer stuff was usually done on twos.

Obviously, it looks fantastic, but like almost all golden age animation... they had schedules to meet.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 16, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been looking at that "Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection" dvd set - does anyone have it and, if so, can you tell me how comprehensive it is? Similarly, are there "complete collection" releases for classic Disney shorts or Tom & Jerry cartoons?

Thanks.

The 6 Golden sets collect just under 400 shorts out of about 1000. I think getting the non-redundant Super Stars single disc sets, the three Blu Platinum sets, Mouse Chronicles, and Porky Pig 101 gets you about 550 total.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

J-Spot posted:

I think they're out of print now, but Disney's "treasure collections" were actually the best complete collection DVD's out of any of them and are well worth tracking down if at all possible. They had comprehensive, chronological sets for each character that held nothing back. For any cartoon that might nowadays be considered to have eyebrow-raising content they would have Leonard Maltin do a brief introduction to discuss the cultural context at the time. I really wish Looney Tunes would get the same treatment. I don't need them to include poo poo like Buddy or Cool Cat, but if they made some nice complete Bugs and Daffy collections I'd buy them for full MSRP in a heartbeat.

The WWII set is amazing since it has all the theatrical cartoons, but it also has war bond/public information films and training shorts. All fully restored - even Victory Through Air Power looks brand new.

Tom & Jerry fizzled out. Warner Bros. put out one volume from compromised sources (60s reissue prints) and then announced a second volume that would be omitting several un-PC shorts. There was a bunch of outcry and they just cancelled it. They also stopped after 3 1/2 Looney Tunes sets on Blu-ray before giving up.

Meanwhile, Kino Lorber is on track to release every single DePatie-Freleng cartoon ever made (Pink Panther, Inspector, Ant and the Aardvark). They're up to 12 volumes so far.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 22, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the most comprehensive home release for the Tom and Jerry cartoons?

Doesn’t exist in the US, but I think France got a box set.

The MGM cartoon library is the most neglected of all studios. (Well, besides the Terrytoons)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Coincidentally I actually watched "Book Revue" recently (it's one of the ones I remember most from when I was little which seemed to disappear from repeats as I grew up - another is the Tom and Jerry episode "The Mouse From H.U.N.G.E.R.") and I was wondering - is the portrayal of Sinatra as this tiny emaciated guy being wheeled around by an orderly a reference to anything in particular or is it just a straightforward "Haha, that guy all the kids like sure is skinny!" gag?

Have you seen pictures of Sinatra from the early 40s?

I love all the immediately dated "stuff comes to life" shorts since they're a good cross section of what was popular at the time. Though, I only knew people like Sinatra, Crosby, and Bogart from what I saw in cartoons until I got into classic film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thompsons posted:

Also, probably don't bother watching the Have You Got Any Castles short, which is literally just Book Revue but worse in every way.

Book Revue was sort of a remake of the B&W cartoon A Coy Decoy.

That one doesn't get shown anymore because it has a gag with Daffy walking into Black Beauty and emerging riding a large black woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

or how they restored all the Silly Symphonies in 4K and decided the only thing to release from that project was a vinyl-only release of the soundtracks.

Meanwhile, you can buy the complete Misterjaw and Dogfather on Blu-Ray...