Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

got any sevens posted:

The Ducktales movie was probably the best dtv movie (or was it theatrical?).

i think that was my only exposure to Duck Tales growing up. We somehow didn't get the Disney Channel on basic cable until 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Drifter posted:

Are they actually making an animated movie for movie theaters? Holy poo poo. It's too bad he won't be a real person. SOny is Dreamworks, right?

nope, Sony is just Sony Pictures Animation, so Hotel Transylvania, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and

uh

The Emoji Movie

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Pick posted:

Oh my god is it going to be villainous poop?

well i've never heard of a poop being described as pleasant, so...

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Fangz posted:

Does anyone know the backstory of how Miyazaki got his Oscar? Because it seems like a real aberration. Did Lilo & Stitch alienate the judges or something?

it was the second ever Best Animated Feature winner. maybe the Academy was different before it became "Best Disney Movie" at the turn of the decade? :shrug:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

wuffles posted:

I want Piper to win the short and Zootopia for best animated feature. Full disclosure though; I haven't yet seen My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle.

The academy obviously has their own criteria, but looking specifically at animation aesthetics it's hard to top Zootopia for me.

the criteria for the academy voters for these movies is "did my kid see this", so there's really nothing to worry about with zootopia winning

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

please don't post Lego bart

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know what that is.

it's a joke on small bart

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2341

:regd13:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I'm just reminded of 90's cartoons and how far people went without asking questions. Particularly Cow & Chicken.

dad was proud! he didn't care how! he's a good dad and that's all i need to know :colbert:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I'm not terribly enthused with the Oscar wins. Not because I think any of the film's were bad, but because the predictability reminds me the Oscars wound up being Hollywood patting itself on the bad for films that remind them of themselves. I didn't have to watch them to know Zootopia would win because A) It's a homegrown film by their friends and B) The added benefit of making it appear like they care about racism. Meanwhile in reality, Hollywood's making a big show about having a record SIX (woooaaah) black actors nominated.

Again, I know it's really not Zootopia's fault. I'm just reminded, "Oh, yeah. This is about hollow posturing." I'm a Debbie Downer. :(

This is how I feel. It was always pretty much down to Zootopia or Moana (Which bugs me. Disney should earnestly be limited to 1), and one of them allows the academy to feign concern about racism. It was always the guaranteed pick. The only earnest surprise was that they didn't go for La La Land.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not an unfair sentiment, but it's a bit odd to complain about it now because the Animation Oscar has been consistently awarded to the "safe" option since its inception. Underdogs pretty much never win in this category, so I don't know why anyone would have expected a different outcome this time around.

The first two years of the animated feature Oscar are really interesting. Shrek beat Monster's Inc., and Spirited Away won over Lilo & Stitch. After that though, outside of 3 outliers, it's all been Disney/Pixar movies.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

To summarize, watch Pear Cider and Cigarettes, it's a short by the guy who was the character designer behind the opening to Beatles Rock Band, Motorcity, and Tron: Uprising. It was robbed.

oh hell yes. i will track it down to watch after work

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The best animated film of 1995 is Ghost in the Shell and 1997 is End of Evangelion (or Perfect Blue!). :colbert:

98 is The Prince of Egypt Mulan (goddamn i am blind) and 99 is The Iron Giant

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 27, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The interesting thing is, imo, that for the first half of the 90s, animated films were kind of a wasteland outside of Disney/Ghibli

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No, no Prince of Egypt is the right choice.

Yeah both are really good

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I'm a 9/11 Bluther

I went to a different Bluth (family).

"There's always money in the Twin Towers!"

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I don't know if it can be worse than another friend insisting on taking me to Alvin & the Chipmunks.
So is this just a thing for me, or does everyone else have otherwise good friends with tremendously bad taste in movies who thrust them upon you as a test of friendship? Who got dragged to Norm of the North?

for animated movies, my friends refer either to me or another artist/animator friend if a animated film looks any decent, so we've never been drug to Norm of the North or Bee Movie or anything like that.

i've been the bad movie friend once and it was for Foodfight, because if i see it, EVERYONE needs to see it

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why did they rename Ballerina to Leap! for the US market? Is ballet such an unfathomable concept over there?

We do love the ballet, though?

Pictured: one fine American enjoying ballet.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

K. Waste posted:

So here's a surprisingly good direct-to-video animated feature: Batman: Gotham Knights

Agreed. We need more animated anthology films in general. When they were on Netflix, I was a pretty big fan of the Genius Party series.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 27, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

they have other shows they can air in repeats all along the right hand side except the bottom two since they haven't aired, like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Uncle Grandpa, Regular Show and Clarence that's what's so insane about this :psypop:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 30, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Klungar posted:

Are those other shows more serial than the shows that actually get aired?

Steven Universe and Adventure Time (at least up through season 5, where I'm at) are loosely serial. Sometimes there's a season goal or a multi-part episode, but they can typically be aired out of order. Uncle Grandpa isn't at all. Regular show I have no idea, as I'm only at two; it looks like it's not serial until the last season.

Also these shows have really huge seasons like 26-52 episodes per season. It's real weird there's no repeats from them. maybe there's some weirdo corporate thing or something :shrug:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 30, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

If End of Evangelion didn't have a 26 episode series that should be watched first, I would put that on there as a good movie.

Was Redline good? I know that it was stylish as gently caress, but I'm lazy and never got around to watching it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

cool i will have to track it down sometime. maybe see if there's a blu-ray since I finally own something that can play them

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

That face that kid is pulling reminds me a bit of Joan Cornelia's comics. He's going to pull out a knife stab his uncle, and then himself in a glorious blood fountain

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Motto posted:

hes right

nah, anime is good blood

Pick posted:

In good movie news, The Red Turtle kicks rear end and that's a great loving movie 10/10 would Red Turtle.

That is a good lookin movie :eyepop:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Toad King posted:

Hmm, you're right.

movie's better already!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

car movie the third sure is a movie that exists :geno:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

...I haven't watched Over the Garden Wall or Ernest and Celestine...

over the garden wall is incredibly good. i haven't seen ernest and celestine yet

it's ok, my secret animation shame is i have zero interest in watching zootopia, or earnestly most disney movies today

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

It's also on Hulu in the US, so watch it there if you can

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

There's a German CGI short called "Ugly" that's coming out in June and it looks cool. It embraces a lot of the oddities and glitches that can happen with CGI software.

https://vimeo.com/207505736

I'm pretty interested in seeing it, since whenever I boot up maya to make something, I just wind up making weird things that shouldn't work and putzing around with how it animates

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i hope space jam 2 comes out so that my soul can be released from eternal damnation

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that I don't feel for you, but you knew what was at stake when you challenged that sorcerer to one on one on the court.

what really sealed the deal was dunking him through the rim afterward :(

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey Unmatre!

http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-teams-warner-bros-animaniacs-rebo-256037

I know this isn't a movie, but I don't know where else you post and I don't have PMs. :v:

at least we might get updated presidents of the US and countries of the world songs v:shobon:v

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

Chicken Little understood that people liked Shrek but didn't understand why.

Chicken Little: The Smashmouth Cut

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"CRINDY" posted:

edit: wait what the gently caress this Olaf Frozen thing is TWENTY ONE MINUTES LONG??

ahaha gently caress that ill wait for Coco to hit redbox/netflix what in the hell

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I don't mind simple, but I could never quite understand why MLP specifically. My niece watches Doc McStuffins, Paw Patrol and Carebears and they're all very simple, wholesome shows, but for some reason no one latched onto those. I sincerely just don't understand why MLP.
And I can literally watch a kid tie her hair up in a ponytail in Ghibli animation and be enthralled by its finesse. That's some god tier 2D there.

I think it's due to Lauren Faust's involvement at the start.

It's what some of my animator friends were telling me to try to sell me on it :shrug:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

Huh! That helps a bit, though I'm surprised she has that big of a fanbase with Joe Schmoe 20-something.

A lot of us grew up watching Power Puff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, so that was brought up a lot when trying to get people to watch it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

at least if it were a la carte tv we wouldn't need so many logins and apps

i want to be a lazy piece of poo poo and want my instant grat, not deal with finding what to watch where

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 9, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I wonder who did the animation. It reminds me of the Tachikoma shorts at the end of episodes of Ghost in the Shell :3:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Because Cars 3 and the Emoji movie are the only current topics of discussion

There's the nut job 2!

Let's not talk about the nut job 2

The Rifle's Spiral by The Shins has a neat video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqWjl7GkCE

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Labes for days posted:

Iron Giant is such a good movie, but I tried to watch it with my kid he left the room because it was "boring." :( Guess I'll try again when he has more of an attention span.

The Iron Giant is great. I just can't watch it anymore because of those weekend-long marathons that Cartoon Network would do for some holiday, and burnt myself out of that movie hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm not surprised considering that its been pushed back a few times since its announcement. Now we get to guess what sequel/spinoff they're going to hastily push into production. I think it will be the Porg movie, with an Olaf short attached to it.

The "short" will be a full hour and be two thirds of the run time of the Porg movie