Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shadow Hog posted:

Dreamworks announces the sequel to Trolls, but it's actually about goblins

Takes place in the village of Sllort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Holy cow, that's some really pretty box art. The one for Bee Movie is the only non-ugly Bee Movie thing I've ever seen.

Nico Marlet did some amazing concept art for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Any time Fievel Goes West comes up, I feel morally obligated to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vt6a2khbw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Roxanne was just a human woman wearing a fake nose to hide herself among the Goofs.

Just like rock and rule, and black sad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It sort of depends on what you think the Oscars are "for", but I would say Zootopia is the appropriate winner, and that if it hadn't come from Disney but from some no-name studio most people would be in agreement on that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Zootopia absolutely deserves the Oscar this year, but Kubo deserves the visual effect award. That would be the best outcome.

I agree, and think that would be most appropriate.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm painting my Rattlesnake Jake figurine from Burger King, I will let you know when he is done but he is looking very shiny :3:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Okay he's cute now!

Original toy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I get Kid Meal Toys aren't gonna be the best quality, but who looked at Jake and goes "That's good, make millions of those." It's not even remotely close to his overall color.

The sculpt is actually pretty good, it's a shame about the bland casting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
However, it focuses on the suffering of the common people. Of the civilians, that is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also thanks for compliments on snake!

Fangz posted:

Right, but the point is that the grand arc of a lot of Japanese media can be read as 'it sucks to lose wars', especially when paired with pro-war media that supposes WWII is redone with some particular advantage for Japan that ensures they win this time round.

However, the grand arc of Studio Ghibli films is that war is pointless and bad for people. I think they're only responsible for their own output.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bellweather is a vessel for the real villain of social inequality and that's the way to go imho.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's weird is he wasn't reaaaally a villain on Tailspin? Like, not the same way as Don Karnage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't look at Tail Spin Shere Khan without thinking that he's basically a better groomed Donald Trump.

He is considerably more intelligent, successful, and doesn't hold a grudge.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's a pure profiteer and his only goal is money/power. He's similar to Xanatos in that way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't recall any humans on that show, but I bet you bed at least try to kill one of he ever saw one. A tiger can't get rid of his stripes and all that.

He's killed them all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fur farming, as always. It's how North America got the greasy drainage ditch scrub rat, aka nutria.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually quite a common fur and a pretty decent one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Everyone I know, including my best friend, keeps saying how good the new Beauty and the Beast looks and like I have to believe this is all some big elaborate troll on me as a person at this point. This is why donald trump won I think

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sorry but whimsy is dead. No whimsy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bet he doesn't even say, Do----Do you want to stay in the tower?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

IS THERE EVEN GONNA BE A FOOTREST DOG I MEAN gently caress

I guess there weren't laws to protect dogs in 17th century france, but please don't refer to Sultan as a footrest gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like how they made everything super dark so you can't loving see.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Interestingly OR NOT it's apparently 40 minutes longer than the animated one.

There's said to be 1 or 2 new songs but I'm not sure what else needs to be added to the running time

The most topical composer whether he's appropriate to the project or not, aaaaand "Human Again".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hedrigall both enjoys Human Again and is already out, coincidence??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Build-a-Boar posted:

Ok I'm rewatching the Human Again part and it's not actually bad, I think I'm getting confused with my feelings for Morning Report. I like the part where Beast is a dumb idiot who can't read.

I don't think it's bad per se, but I like the original film and it's perfect and don't change anything ever!!!!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only way I see live action Beauty and the Beast working is if it correctly identifies the witch who turned a kid into a beast man and all his house workers into objects as the true villain and burns her at the stake.

In Jungle Book reboot style, they'll make the world stupidly tiny by implying or stating it was Belle's mom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Build-a-Boar posted:

Well Human Again has sent me down the Disney song black hole again and I just want to say that Hercules is a rad movie with rad songs and it's all around great and the muses in particular are the tits. I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0DMTlwLw4

This song is relatable as gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Morning Report is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my entire life on this planet. I hate that song to death

:agreed:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like the songs in Lion King 2 better than the extra songs in the musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDGAo9SIqs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJGqxf86cZs

Zira is my inappropriate Lion King universe crush :colbert:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think Moana's people as a race of cats would have been thematically appropriate and also super cute.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

I'd be okay with them literally just reanimating You're Welcome with cat people. Little cat Meowana and big square cat Meowi

edit:
That bunch of catnip all on the ground?
Oh that was Meowi just messin around
I killed a bird
And brought you his guts
Now that you're pettin me I'm goin nuts

Oh my gosh :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She might not even be a virgin :ohdear:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People say Hercules himself is a boring protagonist, and he is, but it's all about Meg's arc and that part is great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nothing says love like the blu-ray of Turbo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How'd you get to see it already?!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trolls is out on home video now, and it is a good movie :colbert:.

e: Also the visual design is incredibly cool and would be watching for that alone.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

The felt and scrapbook aesthetic permeating Trolls was great but the film had too much singing and dancing for me and by the end I was ready to enslave and eat them.

The film itself has an incredibly weird vibe. I hate to corrupt this place of high art with the vulgarity of memes, but it's basically this proposal:

The moment that cinched it for me is when Branch tells her that Creek is dead, and she says, "I don't think he's alive, I hope he's alive."

Especially since by the time she says, "I don't think he's alive--" your brain has already filled in yawnmaster autocomplete "I ~know~ he is" and it's like, nope, that is not Poppy's deal at all. She is entirely cognizant of the world being a senseless void, but it's all about assigning a positive spin to it. Her proposal seems to be "Let's be good and have fun until we die!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd say that's closer to existentialism, where "created" meaning is valid enough since there's no inherent meaning.

Yes I'd agree, but then I'd have to go in there and edit that meme.

Finding Nemo has the world turn out to be a lot friendlier than Nemo's dad initially suggested; that is not the case for Trolls. Everything we see of the outside world makes it clear that it is dangerous and absurd and that the trolls themselves have very little control over it. Poppy never suggests that the outside world is good, only that she chooses to have a good attitude about its oppressive senselessness.

Among other things, the trolls have no magical powers aside from the manipulation of their hair. Other, much much larger animals are genuinely trying to murder the poo poo out of them constantly, and the Bergens do indeed feel a rush of ecstasy when they eat trolls alive. Again, it's a very unusual approach.