Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Was the third Aladdin movie straight to DVD? I remember rather enjoying that as a child, even after recognizing the second one wasn't very good.

All the Aladdin sequels were straight to video yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is awesome. It manages to capture the Jay Ward/Bill Scott humor perfectly.

Lots of throwaway gags like Whoopi Goldberg appearing as Judge Cameo for one scene, a character lamenting that Boris and Natasha's plot sounds like a ripoff of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Robert DeNiro doing the "Are you talking to me" scene as Fearless Leader.

(Though, the 80s Boris and Natasha movie is pretty dire from what I remember)

Yeah, as far as replicating the humor of the original show goes the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie is actually one of the better (if not one of the best) adaptions of a cartoon out there surprisingly enough. Jason Alexander as Boris was a bit of an odd choice but he does alright and the rest of the cast is actually pretty good for the most part.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 14, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Fievel goes West was okay

It's one of the only sequels to a Don Bluth film to not only get a theatrical release but also be pretty decent as well (though I don't believe that Bluth himself actually had anything to do with making it).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Don Bluth, did that plan they had to turn Dragon's Lair into a movie fall through or is it still in development at this point?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

It says something when a lot of people who praise John K's work (that aren't blind fanboys) tend to accept and point out the fact that he's an rear end in a top hat, while a lot of people who condemn John K tend to accept and point out the artistic merits of his work

Though honestly stuff like Ren & Stimpy worked more because of the restrictions placed on it by the network than anything John K himself had to do with it (and later Nickelodeon eventually fired him all together and took over the show themselves). In fact, he tried to create a more "adult" version later on...it was terrible at best and was canceled after about 3 episodes.

So yeah, I won't deny the man has done some decent work but he's really at his best when kept on a short leash.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Klungar posted:

Pete is a cat, which I only recently found out.

Disney owns ESPN.

Yeah, it's kind of easier to tell if you watch some of the old black & white cartoons as he has a longer tail there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm now realizing that Goofy doesn't really have a tail in most media, does he?

I also briefly misremembered Mickey as having no tail, but a quick Google Image Search provided ample amounts of official drawings serving as evidence to the contrary.

I'm not sure if Goofy ever had a tail to be honest, even back in the early days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing I remember about the ADGTH sequel is that the wacky sidekick dog dies in the first 5 minutes after choking on a bone, which felt weirdly grim even for a sequel to ADGTH

Also that the main villian is literally Satan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new Dispicable Me 3 trailer is out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Today I learned that Scar's song Be Prepared is NOT sung by Jeremy Irons. My life is a lie.

As I recall the beginning of it was but then after the line "You won't get a sniff without me!" it switches over to Jim Cummings (I think Irons blew out his voice or something during the song and couldn't finish it).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It is.

Yeah no, rushes is putting it mildly, basically all of the emotional impact of the first series is gone because they're just sailing past key events so fast. That and the first series I felt had much better direction and pacing overall, even in the later stages. Both have stellar english dubs though.

Full Metal Alchemist is good. Go watch them both. It's at least interesting to see how wildly different interpretations of the same source material can differ.

Yeah, several arcs from the first season are condensed down to one episode in Brotherhood. Like has been said though, once it catches up to the point where the original anime stopped following the manga storyline the pacing starts to become a lot better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, but it had this gag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf2us_gN9Q
It had a really good voice cast too

As for other shows I feel this cheating but Dexter's Lab and Spongebob were both great and their movies should have been the series finale respectively.

Also Symbiotic Titan but that is only because it lasted for such a short time.

Oh and Johnny Bravo.

To add to that, Avatar: The Last Airbender and, to a slightly lesser extent, Legend of Korra (in fact, I wouldn't mind if they did a third series one day though it's probably not going to happen at this point).

Also Gravity Falls.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Koramei posted:

Korra was absolutely loving atrocious in the second season, to the point I still haven't been assed enough to watch seasons 3 and 4 even though they're apparently pretty good.

and Avatar is one of the best animated shows ever made but that is very much in spite of a weak start rather than because of consistent quality

True, maybe good from beginning to end isn't exactly an honest way of describing it as Avatar has kind of a weak start but pretty much stays consistently good once it picks up steam. Korra, meanwhile, starts off strong, falls flat on it's face for a bit, but then manages to become decent again towards the last half.

Still though, I found both shows fairly entertaining overall (I also only just watched them for the first time fairly recently). They're hardly flawless but if the creators were to bring it back for another go around I'd probably watch it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Ehh, I'd say Avatar started off kinda weak, though the creative team had enough talent to make episodes like 'The Blue Spirit' to convince the execs to give it a chance. And from there, well... We all know the rest. :v:

Kind of a shame that Korra is probably going to be the last part of the franchise ever, but I can't really blame Mike and Bryke for wanting to go for new endeavors, especially after how badly Nickelodeon jerked them around during the final season's production and airing.

Out of curiousity, have either of those two done anything noteworthy since Korra ended?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

So it's a faithful adaptation then? (I love the books, but even I have to admit they can be a slog)

It's been a while since I watched it but it's basically the first two books crammed into one film. Related, Rankin Bass did adaptions of both The Hobbit and Return of the King which I don't remember being that bad aside from the hideous art style.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Rankin-Bass movies own, the LotR movie itself, not so much.

It is kind of odd though, why didn't they ever do their own version of Fellowship and/or Two Towers?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

like all in all it isn't a bad-bad episode, it was just mediocre and completely superfluous to the plot or world-building. I mean, the Swamp Water-benders had no real plot significance, but they expand on showing what waterbenders can do.

The Swamp wasn't a bad episode per se, but aside from forshadowing Toph (which was unecessary seeing as she showed up about two or so episodes later anyway) and featuring an aspect of Bending that wouldn't be touched on again until Korra it just felt kind of unnecessary to me. Though then again, every season had it's share of weird episodes (like the homage to Footloose in Season 3).

Korra, while nowhere near as good as it's predecessor in my opinion, kind of cut down on a lot of that stuff as far as I can remember (a pity it was marred by one of the worst overall seasons in the entire franchise but fortunately it recovered quickly).

There is no reason to watch The Last Airbender when you can get the same material with both context and better pacing/acting/storytelling/etc. by just binge watching the first season. Aside from maybe costume & set design that movie was a failure on every level and I'm personally glad they never got a chance to cover the rest of the series.

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, the only good thing about that episode was the joke at the very end where Aang claims he personally knew the two men in their stories, that the reason the two tribes were feuding was a gigantic misunderstanding, and convinces them to make their peace... then admits he was completely bullshitting as soon as they're gone.

True, that part was pretty good but otherwise that episode was one of the few in the entire show that was 100% filler (that is, you could skip it entirely and not really lose much in the way of context seeing as the events are never mentioned again, no characters from the episode reappear and even the recap episode just handwaves it away).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 4, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, it'd be hair to get Yue's hair style to NOT look like a dick, but there's some very simple ways to modify it so it has the same overall look without looking like a cock

I'm sure they could have fixed it as I don't remember her hair being that phallic-looking in the cartoon. But, like with most things in the movie, nobody involved really seemed to care all that much.

It might be nice one day to see a competent director try their hand at the franchise (or better yet, make an animated film) but I think the ship has pretty much sailed on that for the time being (not to mention figuring out how you would do it, you'd need a guaranteed trilogy at the very least. After all, the movie we did get was a heavily abridged adapation of the first season, imagine how much more of a disaster it would have been if they had tried to cram the entire series into one movie).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 4, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Koramei posted:

This episode gets its share of hate but I think it's one of the most important ones in the entire series, it does a really good job humanizing the people in the Fire Nation and establishing how people can be conditioned and propagandized through their schooling and so on. It's a pretty important topic for a kid's show and not something that gets touched on very often.

Never said it was bad (I actually liked it a lot more than I was expecting to), just that it was kind of a weird concept that they managed to make work (I actually wish they'd kept their Fire Nation clothes for the entire season, a lot of the characters looked better that way).

In fact I'd go so far to say that there are no truly bad episodes in the original series (maybe The Great Divide but that's more pointless than it is terrible and while The Swamp, as I mentioned, was unnecessary it wasn't that bad either).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 5, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

My introduction to MLP was seeing a bunch of avatars on this site. I thought maybe it was like Flapjack or Adventure Time, whose humor I really enjoyed. The Animaniacs-style humor of my childhood was back in vogue and this might be another run at it. So I watched the first episode.
Nope. Little kid show. Really little kid show. Done in Flash.
Seven years later and I still don't understand.

Yeah, I never really got the appeal of the show myself. I suppose it's fine for little kids and at least looks better than the 80's cartoon did (though that's not exactly a high bar to clear) but I still don't understand how it managed to become the phenomenon that it did (especially among adult males).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 29, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Gravity Falls if you've never watched that? OtGW is pretty unique, honestly.

To this day I still don't really understand that show's ending (specifically, whether or not the Unknown actually existed or if it was some weird shared dream they had), has there ever been any official word on that from the creators? Still a fun series though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I can't speak for the official word, but I'm pretty certain the Unknown was a purgatory state. Particularly so because of their dialogue with Enoch (whose namesake has special religious significance in regards to death and judgment) and the existence of Endicott's grave in their hometown cemetery. But yeah, the kids go to Pottersville, a literal potter's field, help to welcome the freshly dead, are told they're not ready to join them quite yet by an authority figure named Enoch and proceed to be hunted by an entity that preys upon both body and spirit, or Death. S' purgatory.

That makes sense, but what was the deal with the little epilogue segment at the end showing all the people Greg and Wirt encountered on their journey, just wishful thinking ("The loveliest lies of all")?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Also Rapunzel is a public domain story but by calling it Tangled they can copyright it completely.

At least in Frozen's case the movie had so little to do with The Snow Queen that it might as well have been an original IP. Whereas Tangled is just Rapunzel with some extra plot points piled on top of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Ducktales I rewatched the movie recently. Did they run out of budget early on or something? In some scenes the animation quality takes a step up (with shading and the like) and then the rest of the film suddenly drops back down to looking like the TV show if not worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

iirc it was originally meant to be a TV movie, but somebody decided to bump it up for theatrical release for some reason.

That makes sense, still not a bad film despite its poor reception though (and also apparently canon as I believe a character or two from the movie pops up again later in the series proper).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

The biggest problem I had with the movie was that the most interesting thing about the manga/anime was seeing the insane schemes Light would come up with to foil the police and keep L off his scent, and that only sort of happens once. It was otherwise a run-of-the-mill "dorky teen gets superpowers" film that tries to portray him as a troubled youth with the right idea instead of the complete psychopath he's supposed to be.

Yeah, Death Note is unique in that the protagonist is also kind of explicitly the villain of the series, which is diluted quite a bit in the American version (and on that subject, are the Japanese live action films any better?).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

That Lorax movie that came out a few years back was going to have a rock opera number about the Once-ler’s descent into greed and exploitation. It’s been public knowledge for a while, but it’s astounding to hear the difference between Biggering and How Bad Can I Be.

I'll admit, How Bad Can I Be is sort of catchy (and a few lines from Biggering did make it into the final song) but this is better in pretty much every way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

21 Muns posted:

IMO the most likely backstory isn't that it ignores the ending of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, it's that it was intended as a prequel but then they literally forgot what they were doing when they wrote Max's subplot.

In fact, there were actually 3 animated Grinch specials. The third one was a crossover with The Cat in the Hat which also ignored the ending of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

the third season is not considered canon by Weisman, given the radical tone and plot changes it made.

I'm currently going through the show for the first time and am about midway through the second season. How bad does "Goliath Chronicles" get and is there anything in there that's actually worth seeing?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Like with most of these YouTube reviewers, I find she’s better when she keeps it simple. When she starts getting meta and diverting into little side plots with her friends I start to tune out.

To be fair, she hasn't really done that kind of stuff for a while now. But yeah, as a rule I don't really care too much for side plots in Internet reviews. For example, the Plinkett reviews of the prequels probably would have been better without all the extra stuff going on (he does do a pretty good Palpatine impression though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 4, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In the games at least I believe they've always taken place on an alternate Earth (as even some of the areas from the early games such as South Island and Angel Island are based off real world locations). Outside of a few US manuals the planet Mobius never existed in the games and came from a misunderstanding of something Yuji Naka said in an early interview regarding Sonic 2 (he referred to the zones as "Mobius Worlds", probably referencing the corkscrews you travel on in stages like Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant). But yeah, as has been mentioned pretty much every incarnation of Sonic (including the two Japan-produced anime) does something different with the setting and are all completely unrelated to each other aside from some familiar characters/locations.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Where did the name Robotnik originate anyway? Was it from that one promo comic or some internal documents at Sega? Of course it doesn't matter since both names are now equally canon as of Sonic Adventure 2 (his grandfather is referred to as Gerald Robotnik in both the Japanese and English versions of the game).

I don't really mind the name Eggman as much as some though as the Sonic series kind of has a habit of using names for their characters that also describe their appearance/gimmick (Eggman because he's shaped like an egg, Sonic because he runs fast, Tails because he's got two of them, etc).

But yeah, the games can't even stay consistent with themselves half the time (the example of Classic Sonic in Forces actually contradicts itself in the same scene as Tails recognizes Chaos from Sonic Adventure, a game that heavily references Sonic 3. The characters also talk about the Death Egg as if they've encountered it before) so whatever they do in the upcoming movie is just going to be par for the course (no guarantee it'll be good of course).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 23, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, Alice and Mulan are considered Princesses despite not being royalty in any sense. Like you said, it's basically become a catch-all term for female lead and shouldn't really be taken literally.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly, there hasn't really been a bad adaption of The Addams Family as far as I can remember. Even the previous cartoon that ran back in the 90's was fairly decent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

2D animation is very popular

just not for movie theatres

Yeah, in the US at least 2D animation is mostly just reserved for TV nowadays. Which is kind of a shame to be honest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It probably wouldn't be that hard to get most of the voice actors back at least (Christine Cavanaugh left the show prior to her death and was replaced with Nancy Cartwright).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

I’ve been meaning to go back and revisit the Black Cauldron, but I’m almost certain I’ll be disappointed still.

Out of curiosity, was the book series it's loosely based on any better?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Does Roger Rabbit count as a pick for most impressive animation?

Because I've never seen a film that managed to mix real and animated characters (and props, and, well, everything) together so well.

This is also helped by Bob Hoskins' performance (he's one of the few actors I've seen in these kind of movies that actually tries to make an effort to look directly at where the animated character is supposed to be as opposed to slightly away from them).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Animaniacs, apparently there's going to be a Hulu-exclusive reboot currently scheduled for 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Shrek 4 was ok

They're not great films but Shrek 3 was the only really bad one in my opinion.