Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

got any sevens posted:

Was Kubo the only good animated movie this year? Was Kaguya this year? And only Batman looks good next year. Bleh

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think Zootopia isn't nearly as good as most people in the last thread were giving it credit for but still, come on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
My biggest takeaway from Zootopia a year later is that it feels like a kid's movie. Which it is, to be fair, and it's a really great kids movie. It explores racism and prejudice with nuance in a way that's digestible to kids, it pushes new ground there in a way that's lovely to see a mainstream studio do. But then the rest is a fairly generic plot and villain and a menagerie of one-scene joke animals. The humor in general just feels immature relative to most Disney stuff, just reliant on quick pop culture gags and stuff.

The message is spectacularly done but it's really the only part of the movie that I think deserves the "wow!!" people keep giving it here. Detach that from it and it's... alright.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah I doubt the people making random Christmas promo images to stick on websites and stuff have access to the multi-million dollar computer setup it takes to render the characters properly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
:nws:

https://vimeo.com/193212488

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 2, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe link that instead, as the thumbnail is, itself, fairly NWS.

huh, not for me. done though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
gonna see it on monday, thanks for the heads up :toot:

Nuebot posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, or if it's an exclusive thing to my state or what. But whole lot of anime hitting the theaters over here. We have Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece and now Sailor Moon inexplicably showing up on the big screens.

bwuh

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Dang, I had no idea it didn't do well. It's definitely a flawed film but it's still worth watching.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Came back from the cinema showing of Mononoke, was good.

I wasn't expecting that music video before it though, that was really cool to see. I'd never seen any of Ghibli's shorts before.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I watched Storks the other day. Fun but a little bit disappointed after the praise it'd got in this thread, although it wasn't bad by any means. Also I was surprised by them just offing the bad guy like that, seemed kind of dark relative to the rest of the movie.

I can't really have a problem with the Oscar wins this year, Piper was really great and Zootopia was too even though this thread has turned me off of it a bit.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 27, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Das Boo posted:

Nah, not just complaining about it now. It's an annual thing and I was outright livid about The Tale of Princess Kaguya a couple of years back. (Or what was it? "Obscure Chinese poo poo?")

Yeah, me too man, but that's also because it was genuinely miles better than what actually won. Whereas for this year, while I personally think Kubo and Moana were more interesting movies than Zootopia, the winner was still a very good animated film that's on par with the other nominees.

I think the Oscars are on the whole pretty worthless with regards to animation picks, but I don't think you can say they got it wrong this time unless you wanna be contrarian. The reasoning behind their picks, sure, but I don't think the winners themselves are undeserved.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No I get that, it's just that there's very little collectible art that inspires that reaction in me.

Like the only decoration I've put up in my room all through college and grad school is a newspaper ad for a Blue Oyster Cult concert; nothing else has struck my fancy. (Entirely by coincidence, the poster is also of a skeleton. :yohoho: )

Animation cels aren't like mass produced prints or posters, it's a hand drawn single thing. If it's from a movie you like a lot then that's pretty special.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Larryb posted:

To add to that, Avatar: The Last Airbender and, to a slightly lesser extent, Legend of Korra (in fact, I wouldn't mind if they did a third series one day though it's probably not going to happen at this point).

Korra was absolutely loving atrocious in the second season, to the point I still haven't been assed enough to watch seasons 3 and 4 even though they're apparently pretty good.

and Avatar is one of the best animated shows ever made but that is very much in spite of a weak start rather than because of consistent quality

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Larryb posted:

Though then again, every season had it's share of weird episodes (like the homage to Footloose in Season 3).

This episode gets its share of hate but I think it's one of the most important ones in the entire series, it does a really good job humanizing the people in the Fire Nation and establishing how people can be conditioned and propagandized through their schooling and so on. It's a pretty important topic for a kid's show and not something that gets touched on very often.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, I expect I'm in the minority compared to most of the movie's target audience but being forced to watch 21 minutes of Olaf has me significantly less interested in seeing Coco in the cinema to be honest.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Unmature posted:

Has anyone ITT ever successfully (or unsuccessfully, I guess) pitched an animated series to a network? I'm working on a pitch right now and would love any stories or advice.

there was a/ some dudes in the animation thread in CC that pitched to (iirc) Cartoon Hangover, and there are a couple of professional animators there so it might be worth checking out

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
:smith:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

dirksteadfast posted:

If I remember correctly, they either wouldn’t distribute GotF or theaters wouldn’t show it without something less soul-crushing alongside it.

I read the opposite basically; Totoro was considered risky for some reason, whereas GotF was a well known book already, so they got paired together so GotF would help Totoro succeed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Jungle Book was great & cool

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Das Boo posted:

I'm still a little baffled about everyone telling me how real/photorealistic/flawless Jungle Book was. Pure CG fantasy creatures are great because I have no real-world comparison to make. I know what a tiger, a bear and a wolf look like. Our current tech still can't fool me into thinking I'm watching a real animal, even when they're doing things their real world counterpart does. And then making them do anthropomorphic things just hits a weird uncanny valley vibe for me.

I'm curious, and this goes for everyone that thought the CG was bad in the Jungle Book--did you only ever watch it in 2d? I've always been kind of baffled by people criticizing that part but it just occurred to me I only ever actually saw it in 3d which does a bunch to mask the imperfections.

Still in 3d I thought it was a loving gorgeous movie. Not like, "flawless," but I couldn't point to a movie with better CG either. Honestly I kinda disagree with the fantasy creatures getting away with more thing too, but then I never studied real animals in any detail so maybe I wouldn't notice that so much.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It did always seem odd to me how ubiquitous cinemas tried to make 3d movies considering a big chunk of the population physiologically can't watch them for various reasons.

But that aside, 3d animated movies are the one place where IMO the 3d effect actually significantly enhances it and is worthwhile; there's a huge difference in the sense of depth. I mean, obviously, but it's in a way 3d-ified live action doesn't really do. Aside from Avatar I don't think I've ever watched a 3d non-animated movie and actually thought it was worthwhile, but for animated ones I haven't regretted it once.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I totally forgot it was even a thing. I guess I should be thankful bronies seem to have mostly disappeared.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I didn't see the Incredibles 1 before 2 and I kind of wish I had since it's been years now and nostalgia might be tinting it for me, but I did think this was markedly weaker (it felt a lot less coherent) so I'm interested that other people thought differently, I'll definitely have to rewatch the first soon. In general I felt the villain felt incredibly telegraphed, so I wasn't sure if the twist was actually supposed to be a twist? Especially since it's basically retreading the whole "employer turns out to be villain" thing from the first one. Pretty much everything with the company lady and dude and the supers thing felt weaker to me than that side of the first movie. And then wrapping it all up like "no she was a bad guy nm supers are legal now whoo" despite the fact that the world did seem to have been running just fine in those 15 years without them and her extremely valid point about her dad dying needlessly and that the Incredibles did cause avoidable destruction in the beginning; it felt like it didn't actually address any of that despite frequently bringing it all up.

On the other hand, absolutely everything else in the movie was golden. Bob doing domestic stuff, Violet's issues with her crush, Jack Jack being a baby, it was superb and perfect. And it's not like I thought the other stuff was bad by any means, just not as good. Also the short before was predictably fantastic.

21 Muns posted:

I've seen a lot of messages on the internet claiming either first-hand or second-hand that it induced seizures or even sent people to the hospital. I'm currently in a superposition of "holy poo poo, who is devoting this much effort to running a hoax that Incredibles 2 gives epileptic people seizures" and "holy poo poo, how does Disney of all companies gently caress up so badly as to release an epileptogenic movie projected to make well over a hundred million in the first weekend", awaiting further information to determine which thing I should be confused about.

There were definitely some strong strobes, stronger than in plenty of games I've played that flashed the warning before them. No clue if people are actually getting seizures from it but I think it is a genuine oversight.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah I guess that's true, the brother turning out to not be evil was kind of a twist in itself. I just felt like they didn't telegraph the reveal it quite enough for it to feel like they weren't trying to surprise us still, but then there's not really any way to get away with having a sincere reveal like that in this day and age either.

Also I felt the other supers were a mixed bag, design wise. I liked those two you mention, but some of the others like the frog dude and giant guy felt kind of at odds with the sleek retro style they have going on. Incredibles 1 supers were all these suave heroes and heroines in capes and poo poo with classical heroic figures and all that, whereas these new ones felt a lot more all over the place. I wonder how much of this is just me attributing to Incredibles 1 what I think I remember it being rather than what it actually was though. I loved the design of the villain and her brother though, Incredibles does my favorite humans of any 3d animated movie by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I totally agree with your other thoughts, but I really never felt that Incredibles 1 had these hanging plot threads at all, so I'm curious if other people did. Until this movie said otherwise, I always just assumed that defeating Syndrome and saving the city and so on meant that supers would become totally legal again, and presumably the family would have more than enough money to afford a new house because of that. It's never something I really thought about, and honestly thinking about it, Incredibles 2 going "no the government's been manipulating everyone to think you guys suck despite you very, very publically saving the city from Syndrome's robot" annoyed me a little bit.

I do wanna restate again, 'cause I've been criticizing it a lot, I did absolutely love it too. Like SatansBestBuddy said, I think the issue is mostly just that after so many years my expectations were literally perfect in every single way, so I'm being a bit overly harsh on it, but I think after Incredibles 1 and Wall-e, this is probably my third favorite Pixar movie now.