Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I hope no wellmeaning grandparents mistake that for Finding Nemo and buy it for their grandkids as a present, it's nightmare fuel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIFy35o1Vwg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Animation fans visiting Japan really should check out Akihabara, even if just to get an impression of what it's like to live in a society that places a really high value on animaiton and its cultural impact. This poo poo is crazy:

quote:

The influence of otaku culture has shaped Akihabara's businesses and buildings to reflect the interests of otaku and gained the district worldwide fame for its distinctive imagery. Akihabara tries to create an atmosphere as close as possible to the game and anime worlds of customers' interest. The streets of Akihabara are covered with anime and manga icons, and cosplayers line the sidewalks handing out advertisements, especially for maid cafés.

If that's not enough manga/anime for you then there's also Tokyo Character Street in Tokyo Station, Nakano Broadway and a bunch of other places.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

I haven't watched the trailer, but I really hope they include the boat tunnel scene.

There's a few shots of Tom and Jerry in a smaller boat in the tunnel, it looks trippy but who knows how freaky/creepy it'll be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fans of The Last Unicorn should be aware that author Peter S Beagle was massively hosed over by his manager (who even tried to get him declared mentally incompetent so he could power of attorney over his affairs) and is currently fighting a huge legal battle to get control of his works back but in the meantime is so poor that he's even struggling to afford groceries. There's links here if you'd like to help.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat there's some cels/production art of some really iconic Ren & Stimpy scenes available on eBay including the Happy Happy Joy Joy song, the space madness scene and Mr Horse asking about a rubber walrus protector.

"Call the poliiiiiice!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

I think one of the two prior films had car bugs. Make of that what ya will.

Wasn't that one of the crazy credit sequences that was parodying the other Pixar films?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

I'd rather see The Incal-based animation instead.

Yeah except they're probably animate the recolored version and change all the characters to Americans voiced by John Cena and Roseanne Barr

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hedrigall posted:

An abbreviation the internet invented for Involuntarily Celibate because that is a thing and they are a proud movement(?)

Naw, incels are angry that women won't give them sex. Volcels are voluntarily celibate but MGTOWs (Men Going Their Own Way) are MRAs who have decided to boycott women altogether.

There's also heightcels, hicels, marcels, nearcels and noncels, see if you can guess what they all are!

(I just looked all these up, I haven't memorised all these lovely bullshit names.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

what about Cel Shaded Graphics

Oh god, you don't even want to know. They're the worst. The worst.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

Bears are plantigrade :colbert:.

Well, extant ursidae are plantigrade. Back in the Oligocene and Miocene we had some sweet digitigrade ursids like Phoberocyon and Zaragocyon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThermoPhysical posted:

In the past page and a half, I've learned about Tolkien, Lewis, Walt Disney, Oliver and Company, and some anti-sex thing on Tumblr I guess? I don't even know.

Also digitigrade ursidae of the Oligocene and Miocene eras!!

Everyone always forgets the Hemicyoninae subfamily :sigh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

I spent a lot of time in "honors" classes thinking about how Ulysses was substantially less good than Berserk.

What are you talking about, Ulysses is bad rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hedrigall posted:

PS: Who is this random dude in my av

A reverse image search only brought up one result:
https://www.somethingawful.com/cliff-yablonski/i-hate-you-90/

Yeah I have no idea either

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The earliest I can remember getting freaked out by a film was watching Jaws on my neighbour's TV back in the days before VHS.

You guys are making me feel old.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CeallaSo posted:

And a gun.

He's a bad hombre?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hedrigall posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Over The Garden Wall tonight.

I was getting unnerved as gently caress but then the schoolhouse episode was pretty sweet :kiddo:

Just be aware that the rest of the series is even moreso a mix of unnerving and sweet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sung by Janet Klein! She also plays a mean banjolele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWYh1ZhPxI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

...I haven't watched Over the Garden Wall or Ernest and Celestine...

Oh my god you suuuuuck

Here watch this quick, it's the first episode and it's only 11 minutes long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wc1-q1CX_E

The_Doctor posted:

The off-kilter 19th century feel to it all works majorly as a theme and stylistic choice, and I love all the music. :allears:

There's youtube videos that go into all the different architectural styles and fashions from different eras shown throughout the show. Also there's a ton of influences and references including this pre-Oswald Walt Disney animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzn4JDIw2dk

For comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INxkWhcpnA

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 11, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

This, um, really doesn't sound better.

He turns her into a sex slave by reprogramming her butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDnBLvk8u4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mycot posted:

At the time stuff like the Pandora Fever seemed out of nowhere, but I feel like social media and the meme machine has developed between then and now. We get a new Oncler phenomenon, like, once a month.

2009 was an age ago. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and youtube were still fairly new, Instagram was still 3 years away, the most popular memes were Xzibit and Ceiling Cat, the rage comics and advice animals memes had only just been invented, Bronies didn't exist yet and Furries were still frowned on by almost everyone.

If Pandora Fever had struck with the internet we have today I think it would have had a much wider and longer lasting pop culture footprint

Phylodox posted:

Dutch Schaeffer.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but maybe Predator wasn't the best choice.

Predator has also had a HUGE influence on pop culture, and that's not even counting the 5 other movies which followed it

Also "I see you, Jake Sully" is pretty much the only quote I remember from Avatar and the only reason I can remember the character's name

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 15, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyway don't think I'll be seeing Lego Wreck-it Inside Ralph

This film seriously feels like someone made a Pixar plot random generator and picked the first result.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The live action Beauty and the Beast film is still raking in cash and is just a tad over $1.2 billion worldwide and a tad short of $500 million domestic. That makes it the 8th biggest domestic film of all time and the 11th biggest film worldwide (unadjusted).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bimmi posted:

God has abandoned us.

You'll get live action adaptations/reboots/re-imaginings/sequels of every classic Disney movie from here until the end of your life, you better get used to it. Even if the next 10 bomb horribly they've been covered bu BatB so they'll just keep pumping them out until they get another hit. And when they've completely mined their entire back catalogue they'll just start over again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

So yeah, Resciers was... okay, I guess? Competent enough, but it felt like there was a certain je ne sais quoi about it that put me off. Things like that close-up shot on the Rescue Aid Society's founder, as if that was a gag I was supposed to be laughing at that fell totally flat

More of a reference than a gag, I guess ...

quote:

Euripides is identified with theatrical innovations that have profoundly influenced drama down to modern times, especially in the representation of traditional, mythical heroes as ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.

The tapestry showing him bandaging a lion's paw is of course a reference to Aesop's fable about the mouse and the lion.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 21, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Martytoof posted:

I'm looking forward to 2035 animated re-imagining of the Disney classic 2017 hit Beauty and the Beast

This time from the evil fairy's point of view!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

With a roofies and rape allegory.

I assume you're referring to the kiss scene from Maleficent where they make a token effort to make it less skeevy by having Prince Charming at least meet her beforehand and then go "Whoa that's kind of hosed up, I don't think I will" when told to kiss an unconscious girl but then had him do it anyway due to peer pressure :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

IIRC, The Rescuers was originally supposed to exist in a shared universe with 101 Dalmatians, with the villain literally being Cruella DeVille, but they nixed it because they weren't sure if the public would really get the "shared universe" concept.

It was also supposed to get a TV series but when the second film was announced they morphed it into Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers instead, bringing in the chipmunk characters and giving them clothing. Chip's clothes were clearly modelled on Indiana Jones and Dale got a Hawaiin shirt as a nod to Magnum PI.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually, I think it's the scene where Maleficent's wings are cut off and she wakes up and screams about her wings being gone. Then everyone who worked on the movie admitted that was supposed to represent her being raped as she loved and trusted the person who removed her wings without consent.

...That was such an awkward scene in that movie...

Oh that's right, the other roofie scene.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Andorra posted:

I'm looking forward to the live action Fantasia remake, starring Robert Downey Jr. as a dancing mushroom, Gary Oldman as the devil, and John Boyega plays the stegosaurus that gets eaten. And it makes a gazillion dollars.

Oh hey I didn't know they'd announced the cast. I hadn't heard much since the development announcement a few years ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-adapt-iconic-fantasia-sequence-799554

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He turns her into a sex slave by reprogramming her butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDnBLvk8u4

Back to Starchaser: The Legend of Orin chat!! I stumbled onto an interview with the producer/director and the screenwriter where they go over the film's creation and all that but also mention that they're working hard on cleaning up the film for a blu-ray release as well as developing a live action adaptation. Yeah that'll sell real well, everyone's crying out for more Starchaser guys. :rolleyes:

The interviewer specifically asks about the butt reprogramming scene:

quote:

TR: There are some surprisingly mature elements to Starchaser, particularly in regards to sexuality and violence. For a PG animated film, it pushes boundaries, especially in the scene where Silica, the female robot, is reprogrammed through her butt. Was this something you purposefully set out to do in the script?

JS: I wrote it as a live-action script. My viewpoint on Starchaser was just to write a good sci-fi epic. I had no consideration that I was writing animation. Basically, I wanted real characters in a live-action story. I pushed the envelope from a kid’s standpoint with a little sexual innuendo, but I didn’t write it just for kids.

TR: Did you get any notes back asking to tone it down?

JS: Well, I never got anything like that from the production side.

SH: The executives at Atlantic Releasing gave some advice, but it was always positive and encouraging. So we stayed within the PG boundary.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My first thought was "Huh, I would have thought the list would be a lot longer."

My second thought was "Boss Baby 2? Surely it's a bit premature to announce that" so I checked how well it did and it turns out it's close to half a billion worldwide. I hope you enjoy being bombarded with trailers for Boss Baby movies because they're gonna be pumping out sequels for a long, long time!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

the grid either sort of zoomed in from the distance to where you see it now, or it started from nothing but gradually stretched its length outward from behind the screen toward the distance (think Star Wars lightspeed, but in reverse - instead of the stars in the distance stretching toward the camera before the takeoff, the grid here was stretching from behind the camera toward the perspective point).

Well of course, if the grid went the other way that would be ludicrous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Look, Event Horizon is great, but it could have used a couple of cute robots. :colbert:

And weird robot sex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5pOiyD4h6E&t=46s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Huh, I assumed your username would have come from the MST3K Space Mutiny episode but it seems not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Larryb posted:

It is kind of odd though, why didn't they ever do their own version of Fellowship and/or Two Towers?

Bakshi's film covering those two books had come out just two years before and they pretty much jumped in to finish off the story after Bakshi made it clear he wasn't going to do it himself. Rankin-Bass also went out of business not that long after. Also I get the picture that the animation industry at the end of the 80s was a fair bit different than at the start of the 80s so if anyone had gone back and made another animated LOTR film it would probably have looked totally different.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Rankin-Bass Hobbit is really good- the style of animation works really well, there's a solid voice cast, and the songs (mostly from Tolkien, though I understand he had specific ideas for the melodies as well) fit into the story.

Return of the King is a much more clumsy affair- they had to make up most of the songs and find weird places for them, the animation isn't quite up to the demands of the story, and of course they had to really work to both condense the story and make it mostly work as a direct sequel to The Hobbit, etc. The Eowyn scene is particularly clumsy since it's really obvious a woman is speaking from the start, and it's kinda out of nowhere since most of the context is gone.

Also someone went "Eh, there's way too many characters in this already, let's just dump these Gimli and Legolas losers completely" which was a lovely decision.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, I just spent the last few days watching the first season of Avatar on this thread's recommendation and it was a bit up and down. There were some great episodes but some of the filler episodes just plain sucked (like the one where they had to help two enemy tribes cross a valley eurgh).

I'm currently trying to watch the live action movie and oh my god it's hard going, they just hosed it up so much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Jeeeesus christ that film was bad, and there's just so many elements of it that were mishandled. Characterization alone was just appallingly terrible, they never let them establish their personalities (except sometimes via exposition!) and never gave them a chance to breath and interact so it was pretty much impossible for the audience to get to know them and actually give a poo poo about what happened to them. Some of the main characters don't have their defining traits from the TV series because the film didn't leave enough time to include them. :psyduck:

For comparison, Aang is introduced 6 minutes into the film and he's already leaving the village on his adventure at the 11 minute mark. In A New Hope we don't even see Luke until 16 minutes in and he doesn't leave Tatooine until 52 minutes into the film.

Regalingualius posted:

I actually caught a few minutes of it while my sister was watching it.

...It was the Blue Spirit's debut scene.

To be fair every movie in that film is the worst scene to come in on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This was G-Force when I was a kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07P5f6TY9RQ

FORM FIERY PHOENIX!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

He becomes good at the end of the first one. Also his brother is named Dru as a mirror to Gru but I think Gru is supposed to be his last name and everyone forgot.

Maybe his full name is Dru Gru. Y'know, like Luigi Mario.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wdarkk posted:

When was the first time Batman dangled a guy off a ledge for information? I feel like that's something that he's done for a long-rear end time.

Robindaybird posted:

Probably since at least the 80s, and in those cases, you know he'd never drop the guy, while AK - I keep feeling like that Batman would just crush a guy's skull under his car.

I looked it up, he hung a guy out a skyscraper window to force a confession out of him in Detective Comics #28 1939 which was only the second Batman story ever published. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay I went and watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for the first time because of the recent discussion in this thread and ehhhh it was okay I guess? Watching a long episode of the classic animated series with an actual film score behind it was probably the best part about it. The Godzilla fight with the Joker in the scale model of Gotham was also great but sadly quite short. The plot was way too predictable, they gave themselves away when they showed that Andrea could kick Bruce's rear end with judo right at the start.

Edit: spoilered in case anyone else hadn't seen it and was thinking of watching it.