Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

FirstAidKite posted:

It's an ugly as gently caress film but the antagonist's evil machinery was very good to look at because of the dirty look the film had in general.

The only other thing I'd say the animators put any effort into was the fox. Someone on the animation team really liked the fox lady and made sure to make her as well animated as possible. And then just reuse that animation through most of the movie.

All I remember about this movie is the beaver and how upset the king gets about his lackey mentioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It was their ancestral home, and under constant guard. I was under the assumption that the caves they escaped through were an ongoing project, designed not only to release them far outside the bounds of the city but also to foil any short-term attempt the Bergens might make to follow.

As for leaving the bird cage... Maybe it's because the fat one couldn't leave. These trolls were all raised on the message of "no troll left behind," it's doubtful they would abandon one of their friends to be eaten for as long as they had a choice. Also they were probably afraid of hastening their demise by being caught trying to escape.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
To be fair, they originally had no intention of growing Sokka's character in the direction he ended up taking; it was in working with his voice actor and trying to play to his strengths that we ended up with the character we got after season 1.

And yeah Bolin does get better. If you skipped the last two seasons of Korra, you missed out on what made that show worth watching. Season 3 was phenomenal.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It just gets completely hijacked when the rest of the McElroy clan shows up and it turns into Adventure Zone the Movie

No good and righteous person would complain about this change. Bonus points if the score is as cool and unusual as Mort Garson's "Ataraxia the Unexplained."

Cyron posted:

the cop show for zootopia can be mawl and order...

Claw and Order, man, come on.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do any of the deleted scenes explain what happened to Prince Gristle's Dad? I mean sure it's obvious that he died somehow since he's not around after the timeskip and Gristle is now ruling the kingdom, but it's kind of weird that no one brings it up or mentions how it happened.

I'm going to assume he died of sadness after realizing he would never eat a troll again.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hedrigall posted:

Villains don't need a flaw. Scar for instance was Literally Flawless

I believe you will find that he was cowardly, weak and (worst of all) an intellectual.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Drifter posted:

Is your a/v from Ferngully? :lol:

I believe it is from the 2003 animated adaptation of Silverwing, a children's novel about bats.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pick posted:

The learning to read bit from the special edition of beauty in the beast is absolutely cringe worthy, and I totally hate it.

I like how he struggles with "two" but gets "households" immediately.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Just got back from seeing it, but mostly I'll be echoing what has already been said. Autotune was distracting (every time it came up but really especially with Belle) and some of the character effects looked really stiff and weird. Most of the new stuff I actually liked; Gaston trying to butter Maurice up but getting sick of playing into the farce and tying him to the tree was pretty good, and I felt like it had a more natural flow than how events played out in the original film. But they had considerably more time to get these ideas across, so they could throw in things like that. Oh and the costumes were terrible. Just, really bad. I knew going in that the ball gown was going to be a disappointment, but I didn't expect that to be a throughline for the entire film.

Overall I would say that while it isn't as good as the original animated feature, it's still a good movie. You're probably not going to take away anything new from the experience but it's worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Das Boo posted:

So I remember in Waking Sleeping Beauty, Jodi Benson was being instructed on Part of Your World and was told "hitting the right key comes second to hitting the emotion" or such. I feel like I might know the answer from what I've seen, but does Watson at least emote her singing?

Not only does she fail to convey a sense of emotion through song, she also sort of blandly emotes pretty much everything else in the movie. My thought coming away was that she was an okay-but-not-stellar choice as Belle in an acting role and a dreadful choice as the singing voice of Belle.

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't seen BatB 2017 nor do I particularly care to but in general when something is obviously autotuned it's a stylistic choice because we've been able to seamleasly sweeten singing voices to an unrecognizable degree for decades now.

It's definitely not a stylistic choice here, because it only occurs in cases where the singer couldn't hit the notes on their own. The villagers were all fine, for instance.

Actually, I remember thinking during Belle's introduction song that she really does stand out as different from the rest of the village, but absolutely not in a good way. And before anyone suggests that as being motivation behind the heavy autotuning, she's not the only one who gets it that bad.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Robindaybird posted:

What is Spark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_(2016_film)

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It's not about how much you like it, it's about how it creates that connection in your mind between "this is a beautiful thing that someone made" and "I want to make something like this one day."

I think part of it might be the jump from 2D to 3D, since it's really easy to look at 2D animation and then go draw it, or something like it. 3D animation is much more difficult to just do on a whim, so it seems less likely to inspire that same kind of reaction.

But then again, what do I know? Maybe kids are coming home from Frozen or Moana or what have you and drawing the characters because they like them. But I definitely do feel like Disney and Pixar's devotion to a particular animation style makes it more difficult, in comparison to something like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, where even in 3D the animation is really zany and over the top.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pick posted:

His cousin has hypnotic powers.

And a gun.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Frozen: A Chanukkah Miracle

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

dirksteadfast posted:

They just gave him Veruca's song and changed a few lyrics...I think. I'm already blocking the memory of this poo poo from my mind. And no, not originally.

This is literally what they did.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Das Boo posted:

I think I'm getting to be an old fogey 'cause modern content scheduling's a bit mystifying to me. This is odd and I'm still having a hell of a time grasping that bomb formatting CN's doing.

Think of the episodes we got as a kind of extended pilot. They used the money they had to make what they could within a reasonable time frame, and the reception has been such that they'll be able to continue producing them (hopefully with a bigger budget).

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vzBdIejVY

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xb898sQtu8

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Das Boo posted:

I've always wondered about that. It seems like some of the world's biggest markets are ones with either young child appeal (Cars/Barbie/Lego) or gender-targeted, but applicable to a wide audience (superheroes/Transformers/Disney princess).

I'd hazard a guess that the wide audience selection's success is bolstered largely by an adult audience, so where does the idea that teenage boys are the biggest profit demographic come from? Are teenage boys really the driving force behind Game of Thrones? Because I swear to gently caress it's made like it is.

To be fair, A Song of Ice and Fire was written by a teenage boy (in the body of a nasally sexagenarian).

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Fangz posted:

Anyway I saw Your Name finally and enh.

I also saw this for the first time a few days ago, and had a similar reaction. The animation is good and the acting is fine but the story completely fails to do anything new or interesting. Even if people hadn't ruined it by hyping it up so much before I got a chance to see it, I would still be ambivalent about the whole thing.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The biggest problem I had with the movie was that the most interesting thing about the manga/anime was seeing the insane schemes Light would come up with to foil the police and keep L off his scent, and that only sort of happens once. It was otherwise a run-of-the-mill "dorky teen gets superpowers" film that tries to portray him as a troubled youth with the right idea instead of the complete psychopath he's supposed to be.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

I think Calaveron meant in-universe.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Guy Mann posted:

Man, you'd think if anyone would be sympathetic to the idea of relaxing arbitrary genre distinctions it would be the people in the thread dedicated to childless adults discussing childrens films at length.

Listen, self-reflection ain't easy. That's why everybody's a hypocrite.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mechafunkzilla posted:

VO for a film and for a TV series are very different commitments. Might be tough to be on multiple shows when you aren't strictly a voice actor.

I think kefkafloyd was referring to Dragons: Riders of Berk, the TV series which (I think?) is set between HTTYD 1 and 2.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Clearly you haven't seen the Elm-Chanted Forest.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Robindaybird posted:

"They're not Jerrys, they're Ricks, they're people who put more value in useless poo poo than other human beings because they think they're somehow the only people who know what's real. I'd rather be Jerry - he may be a loser, but he's a loser that's actually happy with his life and doesn't push everyone away to be a miserable sadsack or drive five hours to a McDonalds to prove some kind of asinine point."

To be fair, Jerry is absolutely the kind of person who would drive 5 hours to a McDonalds to prove an asinine point, if failing to prove that point called his masculinity or position of importance in the household into question. While it's true that Jerry is able to maintain a sense of peace and happiness by being an idiot who doesn't waste all of his time obsessing over things he can't change, he is just as much the source of his own misery through his attempts to maintain the status quo. He's an exaggeration of the sitcom dad, except that instead of being the family's highest authority, he's a loser whose family is barely able to tolerate him.

But it also looks like his experience being separated from Beth and the kids is going to spur some character growth, depending on how things go next season. If he does find himself in a role that supports his family rather than trying to pretend he's their superior, he'll be way ahead of Rick, who has barely changed at all over the course of 3 seasons.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

readingatwork posted:

The best ending for the show would have been for him to liberate the future and come to accept it as home. Yes, changing the past was always the plan but in doing so he basically wiped all of his new friends out of existence which felt super weird. Plus in reality you generally don't get do-overs and instead have to just live with the aftermath of the problems you face, so Jack having to do the same would have made more sense.

If the final revelation had been Aku gloating to Jack that there was never a way for him to return to the past, and it was foolish for him to even try, and Jack coming to accept that this strange new world would in fact be his home for the rest of his life and being okay with that, I might have been happier with it. As it stands it feels like the "all just a dream"-style ending, even if it was the stated goal from the outset.

But I also would have been fine if, as nerdman42 said, the relationship between Jack and Ashi had been mentor/student (or surrogate father/daughter) rather than one of a romantic nature.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Squarely Circle posted:

Anyway, consider: Beemoji Movie

Now, is this the Emoji Movie except all of the emojis are bee emojis, or is it Bee Movie but characters can only communicate through emojis?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Having Slade be Batman the whole time who pretends in the end that he did it as a lesson for the Titans but in truth was just looking for an excuse to embarrass his ward would be very much in keeping with the spirit of TTG.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Maybe they're like Birds of Paradise.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It definitely is one of those mocap things; I would assume that the seeming decrease in quality is a result of a change in hardware and/or software to allow for a greater range of capture than "sitting in a chair in front of the computer," but I'm not going to sit through 63 episodes of Barbie Vlogs to find out for sure.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Charlz Guybon posted:

If we want to go all animal planet on it and make things accurate, Mufasa and Scar should be best buds who team up to exile teen Simba to some outlaying scrub territory. He grows up there, teams up with another nomad and then returns home to murder his father and uncle and take over the harem full of his sisters, cousins, etc. :colbert:

Why stop there? Make all of the female hyenas bigger and stronger than the males, and have them treat the males like poo poo as they regard them as inherently of lesser worth; in a hyena pack, even the best and strongest of the males is considered lower in the social hierarchy than the weakest female.

And also make the hyenas the actual good guys who put in the work and the time to hunt until some rear end in a top hat lion shows up and steals their kill.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, give all the female hyenas big ol' dicks.

I mean, I was thinking it, but I wasn't gonna say it.

Nobody in a Disney movie is allowed to have a dick anyway, so it's a moot point.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ccs posted:

Dreamworks is adapting a board game that looks suspiciously like Redwall into a movie:

https://www.slashfilm.com/mice-and-mystics-movie-dreamworks-animation/

My biggest question comes from this: "They will face countless adversaries such as rats, cockroaches, and spiders, and of course the greatest of all horrors: the castle’s housecat, Brodie."

If a castle is built to scale for the mice, how does a housecat even move around?

It wasn't built for mice, the party are human knights who were transformed into mice. Everyone else is still normal-sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Animation Thread 2019: "We're the Live Action Disney Thread Now"