Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm 16 episodes into Trollhunters on Netflix and yeah, it's brilliant. The show really hit its stride about 6 or 7 episodes in and got me hooked. ARGHHHH is my favorite. He's so :3: and Kelsey Grammer as Blinky is awesome, such a great character. All the characters are pretty solid really; voice acting is top notch from everyone involved.

I was a little apprehensive about this Guillermo del Toro endeavor after finding out it wasn't a movie. The initial clips I saw also didn't really wow me after getting super hyped from the first teaser image — actually thought the animation and art direction looked wholly mediocre in the previews — but I've been pleasantly surprised. Funnily enough, the design and aesthetic of the show is what mostly got me to stick it through; it reminds me a lot Torchlight/Torchlight 2 and Bastion (two really great indie games). I'm gonna binge the rest of the episodes this weekend, err maybe tonight, haha. I definitely recommend the series if you need a fantasy adventure animation kick with great characters and art direction. Also a really great to watch for family nights and whatnot :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I couldn't get past episode one of Trollhunters. The characters were so badly crafted that I wad starting to think the lead was just the imaginary idealized self of the fat comic sidekick.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after watching the first episode. But I liked the look and design of the trolls enough to stick with it. It wasn't until about episode 7 that I really got into it. The characters and narrative do take several episodes to find their footing, but once they do, as a whole the series has been solid. At least for me, 16 episodes in.

[edit] Without getting too spoilery, all the troll lore and world building stuff is pretty fun. Once the show establishes the characters enough and gets you into the bulk of the first half of the narrative involving Bular and his plan, the story goes into cruise control to let awesome stuff happen. The fight sequences in particular are really well done and choreographed imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 6, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Trollhunters. The characters just felt so rote. The gym teacher who picks on the fat kid, the bully who stuffs nerds in lockers, everything just felt so paint-by-numbers. Does it do anything interesting to subvert those boring old tropes, or is it just more of the same all the way through? I might give it another chance if I knew it was going anywhere interesting.

I think Billy da Bull is a great visual filmmaker, but I've always found his writing, especially dialogue, to be kind of flat and stilted. Maybe that's only in his English stuff, 'cause of the language barrier?

Also, hearing Anton Yelchin's voice makes me sad. :(

The core trio of heroes (Claire, Toby, and Jim) haven't really moved past their archetypal character tropes 18 episodes in. But I never really expected them to. Although, Claire doesn't seem to be too much of a "Damsel-in-Distress" so far. She becomes a troll lore nerd in the back half of the season, and is an essential component to the main thrust of the season's latter narrative. Jim is played relatively straight, but I like the relationship between Jim and his mom and how that's been playing out. The voice acting in particular helped build that mother/son relationship up and their emotions are palpable when things aren't going the way should be between the two.

Steve the bully and the gym teacher are really just scenery. You can't expect those kind of characters — mainly present for comedic beats — to subvert their existence much. There are some funny moments with those two characters though, especially with the gym teacher. Toby, the plucky comedic sidekick, plays his role well but doesn't stray too far from it, but I like how the show has solidified Toby as the quintessential wingman. He's always egging Jim on to not be a bitch and just talk to Claire; it's like a John Hughes film with the awkward romance between Claire and Jim, heh, and Toby is the best friend who gives the protagonist courage. But Like Magnus Condomus said, the real heart of the characters lies with the trolls imo. Blinky in particular is great. Both ARGHHH and Draal are really fun (I want little figurines of those two so bad), and the villain trolls are played really well.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 6, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, I've been watching Gravity Falls and Steven Universe lately, so that's pretty much exactly what I have come to expect.

The bar's been set. Nothin' I can do about that.

I haven't watched an episode of either of those so I can't compare those show's tertiary characters to Trollhunter's tertiary characters. I will say that much like the CG animated Clone Wars series, Trollhunters took a handful of episodes for me to start caring and invest in the characters and story. If you're willing to stick it out by episode 6, the rest of the show is a pretty fun ride. Hoping the finale is good. Will do a trip report on that maybe tomorrow night, or later today.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 6, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finished Trollhunters. Overall, it's a fun and colorful fantasy romp. Watch it with your kids if you have any! They'll love Argh and the troll world for sure. The last couple episodes were wholly satisfying, and the build up to the big baddie for season 2 (please greenlight it Netflix!) was pretty great.

Just came across this Trollhunters/Stranger Things trailer mashup which I thought was a fan edit, but turns out Netflix officially put it together lmao. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZorSuzgOs

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

IUG posted:

I tried Trollhunters and had to turn it off about halfway through the first episode. Everything was so bland and sterile looking (I'm sure because they got no budget for it). The characters are all generic looking, and I hate the main character. He was like the author's idea of a perfect son, but also one that can stand up to bullies. Like, he makes meatloaf at 6am for his mom and friend because she works so hard and I don't blame that for you mom, now don't you microwave it find an oven. (I turned it off after he told his mom to use an oven instead of a microwave. That's the kind of poo poo I see come from the 30-something mothers on Facebook.) It's purely aimed at children. And I watch Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and watched the first 5 or so seasons of Adventure Time.

Keep in mind you're judging 26 episodes of content on roughly its first ~10 minutes. You, and anyone who didn't bother to make it past the first episode really should try and give the show a chance to prove itself. It's a slow burn since, like I mentioned, it takes a couple episodes for the characters to settle in and for the narrative to find a good pace. I don't think it's a show that should be passed up by anyone. The CG quality tends to actually get better as the show goes on; the visuals in Troll Market and the animation/choreography during the action sequences are the standouts imo, and the fights in particular are really good.

Phylodox posted:

But is the main character interesting? The aforementioned Steven Universe has a lead character who is, like, painfully Good and Kind and Earnest, but he's not boring because of it. Gravity Falls, too, has decidedly Nice protagonists. Admittedly, I only made it through part of the first episode of Trollhunters, but what I did see bored me to tears.

Interesting enough to service the story imo. Claire, Toby, the trolls, and villains more than make up for the blandness of the lead imo. Mr. Stickler is one of my favorite characters (voice by Jonathan Hyde), and he's a character who goes through a lot of changes that makes him an interesting character study. He subverts the typical "villain with a diabolical plan role" in a way that I found satisfying in the end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I haven't seen the show, but seeing as you described him as bland even when trying to defend him I think it's pretty safe to assume that, no matter how good the other characters are, the lead character is indeed uninteresting.

By mentioning that the other characters and villains make up for Jim's blandness, yeah, I was fully acknowledging that he's played relatively straight and doesn't deviate too much from what you'd come to expect in the lead character of a monomyth. There are no surprises and no frills with him. I found it refreshing really, that he's not some tortured soul who reluctantly accepts his fate as the Trollhunter... well he is a bit reluctant at first, but it's positive vibes all around him and the story lingers more on the positivity of obtaining such a big responsibility. He's there to drive the narrative, and does his job well enough despite being plain vanilla. Anton Yelchin also does a really great job voice acting him, which helps combat the generic-ness a bit. It's like how Batman has been the most boring parts of every Batman film for me I suppose, if I were to make a comparison in film.

[edit] I should say my own opinions are going to be different from yours though. So rather than take my word for it, I urge everyone else to watch a handful of episodes and judge for yourselves :) Even if you don't like the lead, I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy Kelsey Grammer as Blinky. And Argh. Argh reminds me so much of Toothless from HTTYD :3: He is the ultimate wingman.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 8, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Avshalom posted:

i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

This was hot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I think Kubo bombed because the general populous didn't care about it. Have any of the Laika films been commercial hits?

They've all had middling performance at the box office. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=laika.htm

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/829714125764907008

Yuss! Apparently Anton Yelchin had already recorded voice work a year ahead and GDT confirmed he will give a full performance in season 2. Pretty cool :unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

Had some time to burn in between renders and put this together real quick because I loving love that tagline. Re-worked it slightly though, and made a change to the title as per Waffleman's suggestion. I laughed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

I posted my poster comp in the r/movies subreddit, and now the concept you came up with is blowing up. :golfclap:

[edit] As of this edit, it's the #1 post on the front page of reddit. We did it goons! Maybe some eyes at Pixar or Disney will see it now and be inspired, haha. How awesome would that be.

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 16, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's the post on reddit featuring the poster that has currently notched roughly 17k upvotes. So cool! Everyone seems to be really keen on the concept. Although, I think the mods there might have been removed my post from public view or maybe marked it as spam because I can't actually see the post when browsing the r/movies subreddit anymore :(

[edit] Lmao, the imgur stats show the poster has been viewed almost 400,000 times.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 16, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Macaluso posted:

So there's been a couple more trailers for the Tangled series, as well as a Tangled series movie that's debuting the whole thing. I didn't realize that Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are reprising their roles for the show. Which I'm pretty shocked about, I figured they'd go for less expensive regular voice actors. I suppose the two of them don't really have much going on nowadays.

The animation still looks pretty nice for a TV show, the premise of her getting her hair back though seems pointless beyond being On Brand. There's been very little in the trailers that show that she needs to have long hair again

Tangled is legit my favorite Disney movie, and that series has me pumped. I love the animation style too. Can't wait :allears:

[edit] I just realized they're spearheading the show with an actual movie. Sweet!

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 17, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Speaking of merchandise, and with the Tangled series upcoming release, if anyone wants the best Pascal figurine, look no further! https://www.amazon.com/Bullyland-12422-Pascal-Action-Figure/dp/B004G8ZZUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487289347&sr=8-1&keywords=Bullyland+pascal

I bought that like 2 years ago and he's still sitting atop my work desk :3: The handpainted detail on the figure is spot on, and he really looks 1:1 exact like he does in the film. It's a small figure (naturally), but totally worth the $7 and is a gem in my collection.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wrote an article about "Punched" that might go viral, we'll see: https://creators.co/@timgonzales/4209680 It was also featured on MetroUK: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/16/someone-has-mocked-up-a-disney-movie-that-has-to-happen-6453053/?ito=twitter

My article is totally click bait-y because it's for a MAX CPM™ website, so feel free to not read it if that's not your sort of thing lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For anyone who enjoyed Trollhunters like me, GDT has been posting images of merchandise that's coming soon. Yuss.

Someone also posted this showcase from the NY ToyFair. The figures look so good.
https://twitter.com/Parisi2274/status/833128070303326208
Gonna get me an Argh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright I've never seen Trollhunters, but that brown monster in the middle is adorable.

Teagone, is the cute brown monster a main character or at the very least does he or she appear in most episodes? If they do, I kind of want to watch Trollhunters now. The blue guy with the sword is also cool.

He's a main character, appears in pretty much all the episodes, and his name is Arrrgh. He explicitly says it's spelled with 3 R's when we're introduced to him :3:

Him and Draal (not pictured, I hope he gets a figure too) are my favorite trolls in the show. Blinky is the one with four arms, voiced by Kelsey Grammer, and he's pretty great too. The big blue guy with the sword is Bular, the primary villain in the first narrative arc, voiced by Ron Perlman.

Hedrigall posted:

This makes me want to watch the show now.

You should! It takes a handful of episodes for it to really get going but once it does, it's a fun ride all the way to the end :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atlantis: The Lost Empire is unironically my favorite 2D animated Disney film. I cut a tribute trailer for it a little while ago because I both am a huge dork and I adore the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Sikmmmyp8

Everyone knows who Elsa is, but ask someone if they remember Kida and I'm 100% sure you'll be met with a :geno:

Shame, because Kida is such a badass :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Probably because Atlantis was a commercial dud.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Pocahontas says hello.

Pocahontas has the advantage of having a really good anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_eN2w

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fangz posted:

Maybe you have to be a protagonist? (Haven't seen the film yet)

Kida is a co-lead/major character.

YggiDee posted:

Kida probably didn't sing enough.

This is probably the real reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Clumsy Card House posted:

John Powells work on How to Train Your Dragon was bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5N3q68e7OQ

This track always gives me goosebumps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just a reminder that the pilot movie for the Tangled series is going to air this Friday. :neckbeard: Here's the first 5 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0P9ni0hTI4

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Emmy Rossum would have been a superior Belle imo. She can belt out a proper tune.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Troposphere posted:

uhhh have you seen phantom of the opera she definitely cannot

Opinions!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Sarah Brightman sounds like a Muppet in Phantom of the Opera.

This is a good opinion. Another good opinion I've read is Brightman also sounds like a cat or dog being waterboarded.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Your Name is so good. Definitely lived up to all the hype surrounding it being a box office phenom in Japan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

5 Centimeters Per Second and The Garden of Words are ok — Garden of Words has super pretty visuals though. The drama in Your Name is handled way better than both of those movies and its emotional punch is much more satisfying. Highly recommended.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Going to see Your Name at the theater should never be considered a last resort fun option. It should be priority #1 :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What's with the Your Name hate the past couple pages :( Maybe if you're super sensitive to melodrama, I could see how it might be grating. I thought it was a cute story with a nice emotional core though :shobon: If you're going to watch a Shinkai film, Your Name is definitely his best effort and it wasn't as "cringy" (I guess?) as his other films.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pick posted:

I forgot about Mt. St. Helens in 3 years

Well that explains it. You're a monster :gonk:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

surf rock posted:

Went to see Your Name and enjoyed it. I didn't know anything about the plot except the body-swapping thing, so I was pretty surprised about where the story went. There are some moments I wish weren't in the film (like the third/fourth/fifth boob-grab or the panty shot), but it seemed like a solid story and the visuals were beautiful.

I do have to say, though, that the anime films I've seen over the past few years are that, When Marnie Was There (loved it, became a big Priscilla Ahn fan), Paprika, and Perfect Blue. So, I'm pretty ready for a straightforward story without time travel or weird mindfuckery at this point, goddamn.

Edit: I feel like some of these suggestions are not entirely sincere.

Barefoot Gen is a grounded, hard hitting anime drama that will make you feel real goddamn emotion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fangz posted:

Looking at Boss Baby concept art (yes)...

https://twitter.com/turnislefthome/status/852158418974584832

Is it technically impossible to get 3D cg animation to look more like this, or is the belief in the industry that this is not commercially viable?

Feast and Paperman kinda have a similar aesthetic. They're short films though. I hope one day to see a feature length CG animated film take on the Feast/Paperman visual style.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Looks like Trollhunters slayed at the Daytime Emmy awards with six Emmys. Glad to see the series being recognized :neckbeard:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I watched The Road to El Dorado for the first time last night. I enjoyed it lots.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I watched it last year but all i can remember is how *ahem* well-animated Chel was :popeye:

Haha, yeah. They definitely drew her... T H I C C.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Elsa's new dress in the Olaf short :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

So Overwatch decided to announce their next playable character with an actual animated trailer, instead of the in-game engine ones they've done for the last few, and... Am I wrong in thinking that something just looks off with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZfZFNuOpI

I think it looks alright. The animation for the Doomfist origin story short was done by a boutique animation studio based out of Shanghai called Wolf Smoke Studio. https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/6/15930098/overwatch-anime-doomfist-origin-video-wolf-smoke-studio

I honestly wouldn't mind that kind animation style for an OW series over CG if it means it's more reasonable/plausible.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 7, 2017