Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i get it, there are politicians in the democratic party that aren't working for the people anymore, and they need to be removed. but i think it's reductive to lump the two together really.
The Democrat party isn't removing those people, and you're arguing that we should still vote for those people because they belong to the Democrat party?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

There's one party thats cemented itself as anti-choice, anti-labor, anti-woman, anti-immigrant, anti-black, anti-union, anti-environment, anti-education, and pro-corporation. The democrats are at worst, just republicans in sheeps clothing, buuuuuttt, at best they are actually fighting for the rights of the disenfranchised.
Absolutely neither of these things have been true since I've been alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like there has to be more information than that, right? Like, the cops didn't see a bunch of extremist fanatics hauling weaponry to a rooftop, and just decide to give them a wag of the finger and send them home, right? We're definitely missing some sort of context here, right?
It was mentioned at some impromptu press conference the city held to discuss the ordinance they're going to write, which is what the bulk of that article's about. Maybe what you're missing is that Portland cops are nazis, just like the proud boys?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dungeon Ecology posted:

then we are living in two different realities. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIrAOldaEs&hd=1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

McGlockenshire posted:

The context is that the cops are always on the side of the fascists and the entire system needs to be burnt down and rebuilt from scratch.

But we can't do that. So loving vote, you idiots.
A good summation of the entire Democrat policy platform.

The Oregonian has more information about the attempted nazi snipers https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/10/armed_protesters_were_on_portl.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dungeon Ecology posted:

it sounds like democrats and republicans are basically the same terrible people

so lets flip the script then: who's actually fighting for The People?
Lots of people are, and what little power they do have is constantly being eroded by a concerted bipartisan effort. Think of national groups like Planned Parenthood or ACORN, or any of your local homeless advocacy groups or food banks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/spekulation/status/1052260507606900736

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GodFish posted:

They almost universally don't though, studies have found essentially no correlation between what voters want and what gets passed, but a huge correlation between what rich donors want and what gets passed.
Why, it feels like just yesterday that the DC city council overturned an initiative.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
October 12: Gangs of nazis march through the streets of New York City, yelling obscenities and beating up people in the street
October 13: Gangs of nazis march through the streets of Portland, yelling obscenities and beating up people in the street
October 15: The mayor of New York City, the governor of New York, and several police release statements in disagreement with the nazis, and some of the nazis are wanted for questioning by the NYPD
October 15: The mayor of Portland holds an impromptu press conference discussing a future ordinance he hasn't written yet, and also mentions that he just found out the police found a gang of nazis with rifles on a rooftop before a nazi march in August

WWeek has a collection of statements from the city councillors, who of course weren't told about this ordinance before yesterday https://www.wweek.com/news/city/201...public-process/

I was looking for a statement from Kate Brown about last weekend, but all I found was this op-ed about how Kate Brown is "a true champion of democracy"

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 17, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thaddius the Large posted:

Literally nobody is saying “nothing matters” but you, people are saying “Democrats are poo poo for reasons A, B, C, and D”, and have even given examples of what could be done better, who’s doing it, and ways to help, all of which would be better than what Democrats are offering. And “fighting the good fight?” Get the gently caress over this nonsense, it’s meaningless when the fighting is throwing some limp slaps in the middle of a knife fight.
Look, sometimes fighting the good fight means refusing to put addressing climate change on your party's platform. It's not that an impending ecological collapse isn't important, it's just that oil money is more important.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

Wouldn't Trump automatically veto any climate change bills anyway?
This might make sense if their announced policy plans for next term weren't campaign finance reform and more background checks on gun purchases.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

im on the net me boys posted:

It's really not that hard folks if you support gun control you're literally letting racist cops harm people of color. That's it. Nothing will change that.
But if you want poc to have guns [or resist harassment/violence or perform direct action], you're just trying to get poc murdered by cops :qqsay:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://mchap.io/that-time-the-city-of-seattle-accidentally-gave-me-32m-emails-for-40-dollars4997.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here is your chance to get rid of me:

anthonypants posted:

kate brown won by like 7% in the 2016 special election and that was against bud pierce. she's not going to win this election, and she's going to lose by an even greater margin. if you disagree you're only fooling yourself over how racist and republican-supporting your fellow oregonian voter truly is, and I will absolutely toxx myself if anyone else would like to toxx themselves for a kate brown win.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

im on the net me boys posted:

Why are you so intent on having cops
Alright, smart guy, how else are we gonna fill all these prisons???

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Unoriginal Name posted:

Guns everywhere and no cops.

Yeah, when I think progressive wonderland, the American Western frontier is my model
Would you be willing to believe it wasn't actually like the movies

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/oregonianpol/status/1054748752706076672 :qqsay:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bikeportland/status/1054809313921851392

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Are you the loving gatekeeper of this thread?
They wouldn't be the first person to run around concern trolling D&D threads because someone's discussing gun control.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Independent media, ladies and gentlemen: https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1055119225293987847

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/shanedkavanaugh/status/1055489083911204864

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The media's job is to amplify the voices of those in power https://twitter.com/GregoryMcKelvey/status/1055276638001336321

There's a story in that thread, btw.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Frightening Knight posted:

Blaming the NRA on the Russians seems silly to me unless you think the Russian long game has been going since more than 25 years ago.
:sweatdrop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao what a pantywaist https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/1055939227748261889

e: https://twitter.com/tedwheeler/status/1055948917852917760

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 27, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Oregonian ran a profile piece on Joey Gibson, Washington's own nazi activist. Twitter is very upset about it.
https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1056605630717444096

They don't seem to recall the Oregonian posted a public poll for 2017 Oregon Person Of The Year and put his name on it?

anthonypants posted:

Apparently the Oregonian has a poll for 2017 person of the year, and one of the people they picked is the leader of a local nazi group and wouldn't you know it he's winning https://twitter.com/jyu_pdx/status/940707662705991680

Other entries in this list include the two men murdered by a different nazi earlier this year, and the third man who was injured in that attack.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jack2142 posted:

Well I think this ad was redundant on this site, but which one of you guys is responsible for this banner ad.
Google was.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Finally sat down and worked on my ballot, and we got a week until ballots are due, so that means it's time for...

⚠️:siren:⚠️ OFFICIAL ANTHONYPANTS-APPROVED VOTES ⚠️:siren:⚠️

US Congressional District 3: US Representative, District 3: Earl Blumenauer (Democrat)
- Yeah, he's a Democrat, but he could be doing worse. I don't know anything about his opponents but he's popular and he'll win by a landslide.

Governor: Chris Henry (Progressive)
- Pat Starnes (Independent party) dropped out earlier today and endorsed Kate Brown, so you're stuck with Kate Brown (lol), Knute Buehler, the guys from the Constitution and Libertarian parties (lmao), and this guy. I liked his platform until I got to "Create An Oregon Department Of Peace and Build A Peaceagon On The 45th Paralell Right Off The I-5 In Salem In The Shape Of A Peace Sign To Rival The Pentagon."

...and then I LOVED his platform :smithicide:

House District 42: State Representative: Rob Nosse (Democrat, Working Families, Independent)
- His sole opponent is in the Libertarian party. No-brainer.

City of Portland, Commissioner, Position 3: Jo Ann A Hardesty
- Jo Ann Hardesty has good ideas about police accountability, and her opponent does not. Also she's not afraid to get mad. Can you imagine how scandalized the city of Portland is going to be with an angry black lady in the city council?

Circuit Court District 04: Judge of the Circuit Court, 4th District, Position 30: Bob Callahan
- I usually skip the judges because I think voting for judges is abhorrent, but there's been these articles about his opponent, and plus I like this guy's endorsements better than his opponent's.

Multnomah County, Auditor: Jennifer McGuirk
- She's local, she already works in the County Auditor's office, she got a good list of endorsements, and her name reminds me of Coach McGuirk. Her opponent worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers.

everyone else is running unopposed or a write-in and I do not care to vote in those elections. if you're not in portland I got nothin to say to you. because I don't follow the politics in your area. please vote anyway. thank you and G-d bless.

State measures:
Measure 102: No
- This is the one that allows Portland to use housing bonds they receive from the federal government through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit to build "affordable housing units", and giving those properties directly to developers. Voting No preserves the language in the constitution that prevents the city (or other counties/municipalities) from using that bond revenue unless it's fully owned by a government entity. It's going to pass, because every liberal shithead in this state believes in the free market, and many of you probably got punked into voting for it.

Oregon Measure 103, Ban Tax on Groceries Initiative (2018): No
- You've probably heard about this one. We don't have a groceries tax in Oregon, there isn't a groceries tax in Washington, and a side-effect of this measure would freeze Oregon's corporate minimum tax. Your future governor, Knute Buehler, is in support of this measure.

Oregon Measure 104, Definition of Raising Revenue for Three-Fifths Vote Requirement Initiative (2018): No
- Requires a three-fifths majority vote in the legislature to pass laws increasing taxes. I think you all know how well that worked out for California. Because you all are Californian immigrants.

Oregon Measure 105, Repeal Sanctuary State Law Initiative (2018): No
Oregon Measure 106, Ban Public Funds for Abortions Initiative (2018): No
- I really hope don't need to spell these out for you.

Portland measures:
Portland, Oregon, Measure 26-200, Fair Elections and Clean Governance Charter Amendment (November 2018): Yes
- Limits the max amount of campaign contributions, increases the disclosures politicians have to make, and allows payroll deductions for campaign contributions. Good all around. Probably won't pass.

Portland, Oregon, Measure 26-201, Clean Energy Community Benefits Initiative (November 2018): Yes
- Giant retailers (tbh they should just say "Nike" and "Intel") get to pay a surcharge on gross revenue earned in Portland to pay for "clean renewable energy projects" and "job training". Probably won't pass.

Metro measures:
Metro Affordable Housing Bonds, Oregon, Measure 26-199 (November 2018): Yes
- Generates bond revenue from property taxes to fund affordable housing in Washington, Clackamas, and Multnomah counties. Probably won't pass.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/aurora_f/status/1057663330871963649

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also reading through Chris Henry's page there I'm having a little trouble parsing this:

...he means that $15/hr would be the basis for a 10:1 ratio such that $150/hr would be the maximum wage, right?
There are many mistakes on that page (e.g. "Paralell") but yes, that's my reading of it as well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

102 is a tricky one. I voted for it but I can understand the opposition, because it feels ripe for abuse. It really comes down to whether you accept the reality that as a nation we've gone all in on the fact that everything needs to be handled by people other than the government. Should it be that way? No. Is it? Yeah. Can you stomach that and vote yes based on the fact that it seems like it will have a positive effect in the short term?
The "abuse" you're talking about is the city of Portland handing real estate developers free money to build properties and making the developers pinky promise to save some space for affordable units, except this time we'll be using federal money to do it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Yeah. And hopefully public pressure can prevent that. This would also allow non-profits with stated missions that are more than pinky promises to get involved.
And it's certainly been working out so far. Maybe with this money we can get more non-profits to buy up properties and convince the poor to shovel what little money they have into their REITs.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.koin.com/news/or-wash-residents-receive-voting-report-cards_20171130090026755/870133104

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

Wasn't legal weed an initiative in every state that's gotten it? I'm pretty sure.
The first ballot measure for non-medical marijuana us in Oregon (Measure 80) didn't pass in 2012, but it was also really bad. Measure 91 passed in 2014.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't there a law on the books in Oregon a while ago where not voting on a ballot measure but turning in a ballot counted as a No vote?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ballot Initiatives can be a mixed bag just like can be. Ballot Initiatives can grant things like legal weed, legal same sex marriage, or can be used for highly regressive things like.
I agree

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/1060027757986406400

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

so PDX DSA has been putting pressure on the Blazers to end their partnership with leupold & stevens, a local optics manufacturer that supplies the IDF. they sponsor a "hometown heros" presentation at each blazers home game and, well, this is what happens when you accidentally pick a vet who is active in their local chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Oregonian put up a flowery opinion piece for Joey Gibson last week, so the Willamette Week decided they needed to do one for the Portland Chief of Police https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1060253050495881216