Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

anthonypants posted:

Old thread, closed by the OP on account of too much Debate and/or Discussion

This thread shall be a safe space for PNW-area Debate and Discussion, primarily focusing on political issues or whatever.

Great time, good times.

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Now on to the real questions that plague our region. Why does Oregon (and Portland specifically) have so many strip clubs?

I want to say at first glance this is from a lack of them in WA because we don't want sex workers to not pay extra income tax. Because our law system is paternal as hell, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Seattle is only wonderbread white if you only talk to people who consider the region between I-90 and I-405 a Fallujah-like warzone. So, y'know, most white people in Seattle.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Its nice and all to talk about how worldly you are but it sure would be nice if leftist organizing would go south of the belt line more often than a victorian patrician.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Puppy Bowl posted:

As a new Portland resident I actually haven't heard the full story on the erosion of Columbia river bridge talks. All I know is that everyone from Washington blames Portland, and the city's desire to bring the devil MAX to the fair people of Vancouver.

The people who live on one side of the river and do cross the bridge are those that avoid taxes at all cost. The people that don't cross the bridge don't want to pay taxes on something they don't personally use.

Oregon, on the other hand, wants there to be features to the bridge that appeal to their constituents, despite any 'extra' feature is going to be crapped on by the other side as evidence of tax waste.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

A half dozen dipshits in those red hats were protesting the Lenin statue in Fremont today, tongues firmly planted in their cheeks.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In "neolib Jenny Durkin sees he advance of progress and future and boldly stands athwart it to shout Stop" News:

The Center City Connector streetcar project is on hold

10% budget excess, threatening millioms of federal grants, and further delays of a major downtown transit project, cancelled until further notice.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Apodments literally only exist because of an arbitrage where one protection counted kitchens and the other counted bedrooms. There is no market for them otherwise.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

KingFisher posted:

If there wasn't a market for Apodments then why do people rent them?

Maybe because they are meeting a need in the market.

SEDUs serve to occupy space like all landlord parcels, but also allow for the landlord to claim more tax breaks on their investment compared to expense. If SEDUs could exist outside of that, you would see them outside of the under-a-dozen Kitchens model.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

KingFisher posted:

I have worked a minimum wage job, at a Pizza Hut during high sxhool. Minimum wage jobs aren't supposed to be "living wage" jobs that support a family, they are an entry level position that allows you to work around something else like school giving new workers the ability to learn valuable life skills.

The person you are describing working a minimum wage for 20-30 hours a week with another job or school, or with a family or unemployed roomates are the population of people who earn less than 80% of AMI and who should be served by the "affordable housing" provided by the city and non-profits.

SEDU/Apodments aren't being built for this population "instead" of 2br units with ovens that 1 person working 20 hours a week minimum wage with unemployed roomates can afford. In fact nobody builds housing like that for those people because they cannot possibly pay enough rent to cover the cost of the building the housing.

So please stop presenting this false choice.
If large multifamily apartment developments could be placed on those sites they would be. The alternative would be 4x 1.5 million dollar luxury town homes. I say building 20 units of entry level housing is a better use of the land. ( The real solution is to eminent domain the entire block and build 2 500 multifamily apartment towers).

Apodments are being built for people who can pay market rate rents for smaller units with less features, Not marginally employed people who need deeply subsidized rental assistance.

If you want more "affordable housing" to be produced for this type of person the current process for doing that ia to tax new "high priced homes for single young people" take the proposed market rate housing tower for the showbox site.

That development would pay $10.85 per square foot producing 5ish million dollars in taxes to build "affordable housing". Unfortunately the city and the charities they work with spend 300k per unit of low income they produce.

This is part of why the Seattle head tax was such a mistake, it wouldn't even begin to attack the problem because it only produces a handful of "affordable housing" units per year. 47 million dollara a year to build 40 something units of low income housing wont do anything to alleviate the hundreds of low income people being pushed out of the city each week.

We cannot solve this problem until we decide to radcially change the cost structure of how housing is produced.

While I'm glad you immediately adopted the right lingo for SEDUs once someone with more knowledge about them informed you of it, it would really help if you also took from it that SEDUs are not serving ANY market other than arbitrage of tax incentives.

SEDUs do not exist outside of the sub-dozen kitchen alignment for a reason.
You constantly shift who exactly SEDUs are "for" for a reason.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DrNutt posted:

Even if you aren't lying and saying what you think sounds good to the thread, it's not like you have to force everyone to live like college freshman to maximize the housing supply.

College freshman that, strangely, only live in places that have under a dozen kitchens per building

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Anyone who claims to advocate for dense housing yet upholds the built-with-fewer-than-a-dozen-kitchens SEDU as a worthwhile example is lying.

SEDUs are an active detriment to density because they occupy space of what should be, physically and spirituality, threefold more living spaces.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

The pro-Showbox crowd is pitching a massive extension of the Pike Market historical district, almost doubling it in size, that would render a large swathe of downtown undevelopable, including existing surface parking lots. Just in case you thought Kshama Sawant was actually capable of good policy.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2018/08/06/what-save-the-showbox-really-means/

That's been subsequently Seattle'd into a doofus half measure that punts the problem 10 months, but I guess that's better than nothing.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2018/08/09/saving-the-showbox-just-took-a-big-step-forward-but-whats-next/

How... small do you think Seattle's downtown is if you think the other side of 1st Ave and a bump towards union is a "large swath"? Do you live here? Do you know there are more than one Avenue in downtown?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wait, Petite Bourgeois exist? And they don't even have to be good at extracting capital to be the enemy of the proletariat?

Glad to know. Sorry for the shame incurred by being the type of person to contemplate suing folx for their disability checks.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The petite bourgeois landlord in a 100% real and totally not massaged example is still actively participating in class war despite being admittedly bad at it and morally repugnant.

Sorry for your example of dead labor being abusive to anyone underneath them becoming an immediately clear example showing the corrosive effect of landlordism.

Also double ha at the immediate idle threat to become even more repugnant because we held up a mirror. Great ethics, strong take.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hey I'mma roll with the punches and pretend that this didn't start with me being completely opposed to policy that just happens to require the bourgeoisie to be mildly inconvenienced for the public welfare while they demand to extract rents from housing.

Also please go through the effort to post things that align with this sudden change of topic for my convenience so that we can ignore that my incompetent and repugnant petite bourgeois example was a horrible person who very obviously votes to class interest 100% of the time.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You realize there are tools literally next to every post you make to show the context in which you shitpost about how Landlords Are Workers Sometimes?

Xand_Man posted:

Yall have some serious crab bucket mentality ITT

FWIW I got run off a few months ago for pointing out that not everyone renting property is necessarily making money on it and was informed that my friend (mother of 2 extricating herself from abusive marriage and splitting the income with said shitheel) was a bloodsucking parasite who swims in a vault of gold.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahki...s/#394989613cf8

There. That is your enemy. Getting pissed at the people one loving rung up the ladder because they are trying to get by in the same lovely system you are is dumb and counterproductive.

Your stance on policy is clear- and its very obviously aligned with your own class interest as well as the totally real and not massaged example you've given of this Friend's (ha) Mom incompetent and repugnant petite bourgeoisie landlord. Why should any worker care about the opinions about rhetoric by those violently opposed to it? Why must we consider the argument of an oppressor to be honest?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

One weird trick discovered by "Totally Not Just Me, but instead some long suffering Mom in Canada you've never heard of her" to extract rents while idly threatening to align with fascists when convenient!

The Secret? You're not actually good at it or even capable of doing good, so its somehow noblesse oblige to propagate the paternalist fantasy of owning the roof over someone else's head!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Christoph posted:

I guess you want me to say "you're right, we should have actively evicted them"?

A landlord having to work in the extraction of rents to justify the cause of eviction- because often the real reason behind it is being really really racist on top of being classist and trying to cycle through until you get a well-heeled white one- is well within the expectations of the public welfare and why the law is written, happy to inform you.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Christoph posted:

You want us to do an eviction, which involves the sheriff's department, and remove them as opposed to letting an agreed upon contract expire? You think it's preferable to involve the pigs? Your leftist dick is short.

Glad we got to the point where you've been informed and fully agree how the law is written to promote the public welfare and now you're forced to assume that the landlord has a right to enact state violence without due cause to slander others.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Creating laws and standards that protect the public welfare of all citizens is what contracts are precluded by and exist under. Private contracts are poo poo that doesn't matter, as the public welfare acknowledges that you can't contract your offspring into slavery.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You believe in state help to assist renters so much you strongly oppose the assistance of the state helping renters. Nice and logical position you completely actually believe in and isn't just a smoke-screen for your class interest!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

Please justify why you think you have a right to someone else's property beyond the scope of the contract you sign with them regarding said property.

Contracts are not granted by a higher power with completely non-negotiable terms. They are, very reasonably for the public welfare by every state in which they exist, limited in ways to prevent coercion and abuse by privileged actors against the underclass they would immediately abuse.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It's an editorial mandate since the people paying her have publicly been against the concept of statutory law.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

inkblottime posted:

Didn't she have more money, like overall? I'm not defending Orion, since he's not my district but I got the impression Sawant put up quite the fight. Doesn't an incumbent have an advantage in the voting booth? I guess I'm saying Amazon's an easy target but the numbers don't add up if you think she was voted out on money alone.

I'd highly recommend waiting until at least a few more days of ballot drops come in before reaching for any conclusions. Sawant was initially elected on a further gap from the first day drop.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

If you are at all worried about what will happen to the city because of Amazon, I'd highly recommend looking out for what happens in the incoming lame duck session where the only Amazon-bought candidate takes over (Alex in D4) for the interim while the new seat holders (Tammy D2, Dan D6, Andrew D7) have to wait until January.

The budget may get held up to allow for a final punch to the gut.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The demands are being made from inside city hall, my guy

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Feels like Capital figured out they need to have a couple of captured lib organizations to be a fig leaf before blowing their money on their establishment losers. Would be surprised if any money leaves either the Portland NAACP or SEIU that isn't rank payola.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You have to realize that there just like there is the Dairy Queen ring around Seattle that defines the Seattle metro, there is also a ring further out where the road signs against the King County charter amendments go from "Protect Your Vote" to "Stop Defunding Police" that defines the border from lib suburbs to chud suburban enclaves.

Those assholes are the Dori radio audience.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Between this and SPD Acting Chief banking OT to spend if the election gets stolen... they might be getting memos the rest of us do not

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1321129565801095174

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The dismal tide of fascist state violence is not made anodyne by remarking how much worse it could have been. I made a mistake by implying that there was a singular focused top-down direction in this imperial collapse, when I should have merely emphasized that there is the beating of wardrum preparations against the election results. Lincoln had all of a single month after his inauguration before the slaver's revolt- and as others have said, there is no specific number of local popular votes that is going to make the local state security forces arming-up period wasted energy.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I said it is very lovely that the fascist state security forces are arming up in expectation of needing to suppress the populous locally. I have little concern of the local vote being rigged versus a very big concern that power being amassed as it is will result in violent suppression no matter what the result is.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Space Gopher posted:

Have there been any good postmortem writeups on the Republican side of the primary?

Culp just seems like the worst candidate they could have picked short of Eyman - he's not charismatic and it's not like the Republic voters that already know him are going to swing anything. The Republican establishment wanted Garcia, but he was picked at the last minute and Jebbed out. Josh Freed was the Human Suburb, which you'd think would have gotten more than 9% of the vote with Washington Republicans, but that didn't happen either. Either one of them seems like they'd have done a better job stumping for downballot Republicans and generally helping out the state party.

I get that Washington Republicans aren't much of a statewide force right now, but you'd think that they could find some higher-profile politician, maybe from a town in Eastern WA with at least one traffic light. Was it just that the Republican establishment didn't bother to back a candidate until it started looking like Eyman might end up being their guy?

The WAGOP has been in open free-fall since Dino lost the Governor race. Assembling behind anyone would require visionary leadership for a party that hasn't won a statewide race since 1994.

Here is a good explainer from Seattle's only newspaper about how Culp came from nowhere to get the 2nd slot.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

reignonyourparade posted:

Gubernatorial Elections seems to be where WA republican careers go to die. How many of the sort of people who would be "better" candidates than Culp even want to take a shot at it?

I mean, on a pure dirty politics level you can flip through the WA Gubernatorial elections on wikipedia and see how even when they are wicked close, King county comes in deep blue and makes up for most of the votes. And the governor keeps rewarding the place with all of their votes with state University investment and overall focus.

Compare to Missouri, where the minute the red-team won a solid majority they started investing into their own vote-bank and away from the only big university in the state. More infrastructure = more people = more happy voters for you.

WAGOP would need to run on a platform that gets enough popular support and then get away with a generational investment outside the Seattle metro core.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 29, 2020

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My guess is Wheeler is reelected because it seems close and Iannarone will be hurt by the write in campaign. That said city polling is imperfect at best so nothing would shock me.

A friend said that the Portland race was like if Cary Moon got to run against Teargas Jenny knowing what we know now. And taking that wack-analogy as true in my heart tells me that we'd probably get an even vote split between the youth vote that hates getting tear-gassed and the olds that think there isn't enough teargas being used.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FuzzySlippers posted:

Inslee isn't perfect but there is no other governor I'd rather have during covid. Whatever ghoul ends up as the dem nominee is unlikely to be better than the other dem governors (who have mostly hosed things) and likely to be significantly worse. Ugh that's my half full for a Trump win.

My prediction is that if Inslee gets a nod by an incoming admin that would mean that Bob Ferguson no longer has any juice to squeeze out of the "I Sued Trump And Won" gimmick and he runs for Governor in the special election.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

There would be a less-than-a-year period of Acting Governor before a special election, which is the quiet part of the Lt. Gov campaign and why a complete burnout like Heck is even running.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s probably more convincing than all the anti-Trump lawsuits he’s won.

Speaking of former AGs, why don’t we hear about Gregoire anymore? She wasn’t the most progressive leftist out there, but she did sign a ton of LGBTQ rights bills and marijuana legalization. Those debates against Dino Rossi were brutal.

Just kind of weird that she’s just kind of gone instead of being recruited for cabinet positions or something similar.

Gregoire's daughter got one of the five Port of Seattle positions and now features heavily in all the advertisement at SeaTac for no good reason other than to generate name recognition.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

Uh... political violence is bad even if it's against bad people. Contributing to a climate where extrajudicial violence is considered normal is extremely dangerous and erodes civil society. You might think it's gonna be Antifa super soldiers hunting Nazis but the reality is far more grim and it ends in unrelated parties being murdered daily in generational cycles of guerrilla violence. Also right wingers will have FAR more ability and support to engage in this sort of violence so it's not really a can of worms you want to open.

The bad kind of political violence is already happening in the streets, extrajudicial murders are why we are out here. Metaphors are nice and all but you aren't acknowledging the reality on the ground.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

https://twitter.com/RoseCityAntifa/status/1322478013980663808?s=20

Now, wouldn't want to suggest anyone START a growing wave of political violence. That would be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

Right-wing domestic terrorists have clearly shown they have zero problem with violence, but I think we’re verging on some mind-boggling scenarios in which they have the collective foresight and organizational skills to coordinate a national civil war type scenario.

Yes, I agree, there will probably be sporadic right-wing incidents of violence if Trump loses on Tuesday. That said, I think folks are buying more into their bark than their bite if they believe there’s going to be a civil war type of scenario.

Remember the guy hiding under the tarp at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge? As long as Trump loses, that’s how this poo poo will end for most of those fuckers. Cowering with their lube drums and dildos and guns hiding under loving tarps.

Hey it sounds like you just woke up from a coma, because you cited something that literally kicked off during the Obama administration. Hope you have a fun time catching up with the actual things that are occurring on the streets this week, I'm sure it will be pretty upsetting!