Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Gerund posted:

The person leaving the restaurant doesn't get to order for the table. You've backpedaled to advocating for nothing but looking for the exit: this is fine, you do you. But the people who aren't bailing on the region have a good reason to organize.

No matter what happens, the next three months is going to involve fash out on the streets committing political violence and the extrajudicial murder of our fellows, as seen over the last week. To be glib, there will be loving Around. I, personally, do not think anyone will stop loving Around until it is made clear that they will Find Out.

And holy poo poo do not start militia card-checking people on a public forum lol

Self defense is perfectly fine. If you decide to go out hunting you're a domestic terrorist and a complete piece of trash.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Start engaging with the posters in this thread instead of whatever perceived strawmen you are imagining. As far as I can tell not a single person in this thread has advocated for preemptively hunting down Trump supporters and have explicitly advocated for self-defense.

I was responding to someone saying that it is ok to target the other side for retributive violence and that if you don't want to participate then you should shut up. And people apparently have a problem with the notion that political violence is bad to engage in even if the other side does it to you first.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Decorum for our time. We will show them decorum when they murder us in cars. We will show them decorum when they come into our homes and murder us without warrants. We will show them decorum when they run buses off the road. We will show them decorum when they attack federal facilities. Decorum when they put children in cages. Decorum when they use tear gas on peaceful protestors.

Decorum at any cost.

This seems like an intentional mischaracterization of what I am saying. I agree with arming up for self defense. Going on the offensive is domestic terrorism. We are probably going to win the election and then my ardent hope is that the FBI will be allowed to mop the floor with what they have been saying for 12 years is the greatest domestic threat to national security.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have more faith 8n the political process, and if we have the house, the Senate, and the presidency I doubt they are going to want to just sit around and allow domestic terrorists to murder people all day long. I also don't think the FBI would identify white supremacists as the #1 domestic threat if they didn't care at all about them.

In any event what I am arguing against is vigilantism and retributive violence. If you think the system is going to remain so broken that it just won't function then I guess I can see why you would think that's OK, but that type of thing doesn't ever improve things; it just makes everything worse.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Gerund posted:

We have three whole months of the current state of political violence before this fantasy of Good Feds could even occur. You'll be long gone by then, so your scolding about how Pro-Informant you are against anyone outside of your decorum weirdo bounds doesn't matter.

I'm not going anywhere unless Trump is re-elected or succeeds in squatting in the white house or starting a civil war. But yeah if war breaks out here or Trump becomes a dictator for life I'm taking my kids the gently caress up out of here if at all possible.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

You're a disingenuous little shithead. I would agree with drat near anything else you want to do besides engaging in preemptive or retributive violence. Use the loving legal process. Arm yourselves for protection. Educate people about risks. Lobby elected leaders. The only thing I'm objecting to is this notion that it's justified to engage in vigilantism.

Your problem seems to be that you can't get along with anyone who doesn't screech loudly enough about how they are totally gonna murder them some nazis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Well, in that case I wonder if those people also voted for Ralph Nader.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

She's good for Ted Wheeler.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Raiford lost in the open primary and then decided that she was going to run a write in. I don't understand how anyone can justify someone losing the primary and then deciding to split the vote by running in the general. It's incredibly lovely.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

raiford did not campaign, promote, or provide any material support for the write-in initiative but go off i guess

Any you're gonna still defend the morons who voted for her I guess. If she didn't want to keep running she should have made that clear and told her voters who she supported in the runoff. It doesn't seem like she did that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

most of the good things Kate Brown did in response to Covid involved waiting for Inslee or Newsom to act first and then copying them. Also when she realized people weren't going to distance because she scolded them without enacting any policies she got angry and brought in restrictions.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

We should have used the time the first lockdown bought us to institute a comprehensive testing and contact tracing regime. It's a loving wasted effort without that. If we'd done it then we probably wouldn't be looking at a second shutdown now. Also we never should have opened up in-person indoor dining and drinking again. That really should have waited for a vaccine.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao remember when local media smarties whispering that she might get pulled to serve some position or another in the Biden administration? Which made no sense because what did she bring that couldn’t do being a loyal soldier here in Oregon. I am pretty amused at how “open’r up” is totally cool when it’s a Democratic governor though. I did see that all students will have the option of staying remote but I didn’t see that mentioned for any of the teachers or other staff.

Because of half my family members being state employees and haldf of those working for various school districts, I have a little bit of inside baseball knowledge about this process.

I would be ok with the specific school my kids go to opening because it's an awesome magnate school that gets extra funding and support from a really strong parents organization. and seems to be doing the the right way with plenty of warning and lots of planning (which will now be derailed by being put on the governor's timeline). But it wouldn't be equitable to only open the schools where there is extra money and parent support available to smooth the process.

The broader school district I don't trust to do this right, let alone a district as messed up as PPS. TO the north in Clark County, WA, it has been a complete shitshow. The teachers found out 1 week before students were to be in building, at the same time as the parents found out, via the same email. In Battleground school district teachers found out only because some of them had kids in the district and got the email that was intended for parents. Vancouver public schools is not honoring agreements with the teachers union. The contract says that they will provide PPE, and they aren't doing that. THe are also taking away prep time in favor of bringing the kids into the classrooms early just so they don't congregate elsewhere.

I trust the science that if CDC recommendations are followed to a T, then transmission will be low, especially if teachers are all vaccinated. The SHOULD be able to do it. What I do not trust is that school districts will be well resourced enough or organized enough to do that. Even if we got a massive influx of federal dollars, it would take months for them to get organized enough to pull it off. Not that there is any excuse for that. They have had a year to figure it out. But they didn't start planning until they were told by their respective state and local governments that they had to re-open. Part of the problem is that while teachers are often great, management is usually incompetent.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

The CDC recommendations are a joke and there's no mandate that the teachers need to be fully vaccinated. Like do you actually trust that this poo poo is either a) going to be implementable in schools or b) going to prevent the spread of an aerosol respiratory virus in a room full of kids?

Meanwhile, studies elsewhere showed that kids in school were far more likely to bring COVID back home and spread it to their families than adults were.

https://twitter.com/Dr2NisreenAlwan/status/1345661874302578689?s=20

Did you just miss the part where I said I don't trust the school districts to be able to implement it due to lack of organization and lack of resources?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

In Oregon I think we will have most Elementary teachers vaccinated by March 29th. Certainly the Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers have been already, because at the beginning they were restricting vaccinations to younger grade teachers. Our kids' school district had only been planning to open k-1 on march 29th and was going to be phasing in 2-5 in mid April, and middle schools later than that. They are doing about 2 hours of in person instruction on Monday and Tuesday for half of the kids who's parents are opting for hybrid, remote only on Wednesday, and then the other half of them Thursday and Friday. No lunch at school, but brown bags for free and reduced lunch kids to go home with. I think that would be possible to do safely, and at the school my kids go to I think it would be done correctly. But again, the broader school district I have my doubts about.

I think there is an important social and psychological benefit to kids attending in person school. I just also think that most school districts are not capable of doing it safely enough to make it worth it. Our kids are learning but they would be doing a lot better emotionally if they were having some in-person school. I feel less safe about this now that the Governor is setting the timeline instead of school districts.

My wife is a teacher, so I am very aware of how teachers are feeling being forced back to work. In the district we live in they informed teachers ahead of time and gave parents at least a month notice ahead of opening k-01. Given vaccines have been available for teachers for a month in OR at this point and we still have 3 weeks until kids are back to school, I think that' somewhat reasonable. My district also appears to have options for remote only and hopefully teachers with high risk family members at home can be slotted into.

My wife teaches in WA and we got next to no notice. They told the parents before telling the teachers or their union. They haven't honored their agreements with the union to provide PPE. Nobody is being allowed to remain remote. Any my wife has only been vaccinated at this point because she lives in OR. WA just opened it up for teachers last week or something, but they were back mid-February. It's a total loving shitshow up north. I don't think it will be nearly as bad down here.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL “We didn’t expect accountability to come with punishments for bad behavior. No fair!”

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Metaphorically, to be specific, please don’t literally, you deserve better

I want to gently caress small business owners with my great big tax package.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Apparently Clackamas County is looking to buy a motel to set up a transitional housing community and is already looking at two specific properties. I don’t know how many units that’s going to be and their faq doesn’t say, but any is a move in the right direction. I think a lot of the frustration with Portland and Multnomah county is they seem to be doing a lot of nothing with the tens of millions of dollars that are being paid for homeless services. Just get people into rooms if you have $80MM/yr to spend on 3000 people. For $26000/yr each you could just rent them studio apartments or build 30 100 unit properties.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Project turnkey is a good thing, we may help develop a hotel in Ontario into transitional housing.

Yeah. I am flabbergasted that Clackistan is doing this before Portland. But I’m so happy that anything at all is being done. The worst of the social ills we are seeing that bleed out into the community are connected to large encampments, and getting people off the streets and into housing is the fastest and most enduring solution to that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Portland houses all kinds of people. In hotels and there are still SROs and a number of other places. The Pensione? There’s not enough of it and there are people who can be extremely challenging to keep housed for any number of reasons, but it’s pretty ridiculous to say clack is leading the way on putting people up in hotels

The problem is more that people expect immediate solutions to something that is a good 40 years of policy failures, and they expect it done with a heavy hand to make sure that the ‘undeserving’ don’t accidentally get help to, and for some reason everyone wants to start with the hardest cases

I absolutely cannot stand Rene Gonzales and how he talks about any of this and I’m pretty annoyed he’s going to probably win and be in city council for the next thirty years

Actually regarding local news I’m still laughing at this one from Koin the other day

https://www.koin.com/local/multnomah-county/start-being-leaders-woman-frustrated-by-wheelers-response-to-homeless-concerns/amp/

Oh word?

Lmao

Clack is at least beginning to address the core problem of not enough beds.
Portland was crowing about adding a thousand units of affordable housing since 2015, which is when they declared a state of emergency over affordable housing and homelessness. A thousand units when by most estimates they are short 100k units of affordable housing. And the solution they came up with is letting people camp on public land.

Meanwhile any time there is an affordable or transitional housing project it has to be some weird experimental pilot project. What they need to do is stop it with the other poo poo and just build housing, both affordable and transitional, as well as some homeless shelters. The housing units need to be made with value-engineered plans that allow for mirror image units that save on plumbing and electrical and which can have the same crews duplicating the same cuts at a factory and send materials packages out to the various job sites. Relying on a network of nonprofits instead of having the housing authority be front and center to the solution is a huge part of the problem.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Our entire way of life demands inequality and demands people be at the bottom. Instead of rethinking that way of life (the horror) or making the bottom at least a tiny bit comfortable, we expect the people with no reason to buy into social norms or rules to still be polite and happy and tip their hats and say “tyvm for not just mulching me” lmao

One thing I’ve learned after a decade plus in Portland is if you want to bring out the deep red in an ostensibly progressive democrat just bring up homeless people (indigenous people works too depending on age but most folks under 50 know better than to go knives out there)

Edit: to say nothing if some people are really hard to keep housed. It’s a solvable problem but one you need to plan for. Just anecdotally I have a friend who worked for CCC for a while and her challenges didn’t stop at getting people housed. We’re talking about people with severe trauma and mental illness who do things like scream loudly for hours in the middle of the night. An ADU isn’t adequate housing because the neighbors will complain until there’s an eviction—but try housing somebody like that in a sfh on public funds, I dare you. You’d spawn a dozen more mini Rene gonzaleses overnight

TBPH someone like that needs a residential care facility/inpatient mental hospital.

As far as camping being a necessary evil, yeah in 2015 it may have been but we are way too far along from there for it to still be the approach. Also deciding that no laws will ever be enforced in Portland is also not a good idea, and that applies to way more than just the homeless population.

We can talk till we are blue in the face about reasons and root causes but the fact of the matter is that the various mayors and the city council have had plenty of time to address these issues and blaming NIMBYs and other residents is pretty week. If the effective solutions aren’t popular then it is a politician’s job to loving sell that poo poo until they are or else take a bunch of incremental whacks at it. At this point I am just really frustrated and angry at how little has been done about this and other issues facing our state, region, and metro area. I have driven all over the western states in the last couple years and nowhere is this poo poo as bad as in Portland.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That’s gonna be a squeaker but I’m less certain Drazan pulls it off than I was two weeks ago. She might have pulled into the lead slightly too early and given team blue a chance to try to bring Betsy voters home

But given that back in the primary iirc Drazan was talking about deputizing PPB as state law enforcement agents to get around local control of decision making then yeah, it would be really bad

Yeah, since Phil Knight had stopped funding Johnson it seems like I never see ads for her anymore, and I am seeing a ton for both Drazan and Kotek. And the Kotek adds have gotten a whole lot better. If you were dem leaning but decided to go Johnson earlier, you might be thinking at this point that she doesn’t have a shot and you sure as hell aren’t voting for Drazan, and oh look here’s Tina talking about the ways she’s different than Kate Brown and what she is going to do (that Brown and Drazan wouldn’t). I’m hoping it’s enough to pull her through.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

All baristas should wear long sleeves and pants regardless of gender because they are working with scalding hot liquids, steam, and hi-temp pressure vessels. Say what you will about sex work and sex work adjacent work, it should be occurring in an environment without serious physical hazards.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

frogge posted:

Hold up- the city that AFAIK gave the world bikini baristas decided to ban it? ...and then unbanned it? Maybe it shows my age and the town has changed since when I ran around there in my younger years but at least it's something different than the meth and buttrock they're known for in the area.

Also agreed- there's a reason we invented clothes, aprons, and protective gear. Those ladies shouldn't have to risk scalding hot coffee on their bare skin just to ply a living.

I reckon it would be ok if the stuck to iced beverages and maybe like smoothies. But that might take away the plausible deniability from a bunch of pervs who like rolling through the bikini coffee shop because their spouses aren’t meeting their needs and they would rather not do the hard work of working out why.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Or just download it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Looking at what’s left uncounted it’s mostly Multnomah and Washington county and Clackamas. Between that and late arriving ballots I think Koteck looks likely to pull it off.

Unfortunately I think Gonzo gonna pull it off. Only silver lining is the charter reform also looks good so maybe we aren’t stuck with him as a power broker for the next decade plus

Also I like that measure 112 is so riddled with weasel words it probably won’t actually accomplish anything

Unfortunately we probably won’t know about the totals from Clackamas until late in the day. Our horseshit elections clerk decided that they wouldn’t announce totals between like 10 last night and this evening. Luckily one of the few races that is enough of a landslide to call from Clack is said horseshit clerk Sherri Hall losing to McCullen.

Sadly it’s not looking good for Libra Forde but that’s not surprising despite her out-raising Savas. I think I saw like 2 or 3 total signs for her while Savas has a huge network or sign installers and hundreds of people willing to let him out a 4’x8’ sign on their property. The Clackamas County Democrats are just not as organized.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

RocketRaygun posted:

Except Multnomah County has 80,000 outstanding votes to count.

You're right in that it adds up, but you've completely forgotten that MultCo isn't done counting yet.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/11/tina-kotek-wins-oregon-governors-race-fending-off-strongest-republican-bid-in-a-decade.html

Oregonian called it.

That’s a relief.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It gave us this gem of a quote: “The people of San Francisco have spoken loud and clear: There is no place for killer police robots in our city.”

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah seriously. Do you want the Bell riots? Because this is how you get the Bell riots.

That depends. If we have Bell riots do we also get the scarcity-free space communism future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

“Push polls are a time honored tradition n politics. I believe during one of John McCain’s primary runs someone did one in South Carolina with the question "Would you be more or less likely to vote for John McCain…if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?"