Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean its the same concept as how CEO's and Executives are generally given a significant percentage of their compensation in their companies shares, ostensibly to ensure they run the company to the best of their abilities, this does not always work out, but its the same concept. Same goes for soldiers to an extent, they dont get paid well (I am pretty sure junior enlisted make pretty close to the Federal Minimum Wage), but get metric tons of benefits far beyond what other low wage workers get with healthcare, education, housing, food etc. expenses mostly covered on the government's dime. Countries that don't pay their soldiers tend to suffer from military coups or like the USSR post cold war just sells their equipment to random arms dealers for pennies on the dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Doorknob Slobber posted:

instead of paying cops anything we should abolish the police

True I think private for profit companies would do a much better job without the waste and inefficiency of government systems.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I felt the SoDo Arena deal was fine, much better than the stupid Key Arena remodel idea which wants much more city money to gently caress up the area's traffic even more.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

seiferguy posted:

Theres a generational difference between older employees and new ones. Older employees talk about how great a company it is because they were treated well, are going to retire with a nice pension, etc. And younger employees are disillusioned with the company since they've seen the company attempt to strip away the benefits and try to move the work elsewhere.

The machinists probably are more screwed because there's still not a lot of other manufacturing places up in the area. Office workers are usually free to leave for Microsoft or Amazon for higher pay, which is a trend that Boeing is failing to handle.

This is exactly what I notice from my dad (machinist 40 years) compared to some guys I went to highschool with who got jobs at Boeing in the last 5, for guys not going to college its still a great job just not nearly as good as it used to be. From what I can tell, or at least what has been told to me by countless old farts is Boeing went downhill once the acquired McDonnell Douglas and brought in a bunch of new lovely managers who brought their bad management practices with them. Before then a fair number of the managers and even executives etc. we're guys who worked there way up in the company and that changed a fair bit for ~modern~ Boeing.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 24, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

:munch:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If everyone is dead there can't be racism because everyone is dead and don't care anymore.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am curious about the black nazi... why?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Oh wow that was some bad misreading there, my bad.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My Great Grandady an illegal immigrant from New Zealand lived in a flophouse they need to bring back flophouses in pioneer square.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Reene posted:

It's raining ash in Beaverton/Portland right now.

I definitely don't remember that happening before.

I didn't see ash, but the sky certainly looked odd when I went out for a walk in Lake Oswego.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think people just have residual PTSD from Boeing in regards to the Amazon news.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Doesn't Rossi not even live in Reicherts district? I am pretty sure he is from like Everett or something.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

seiferguy posted:

You don't necessarily need to live in the district to run for it.

Well yeah, but it seems like that would be a reasonably big negative for Dino.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

interesting that the influx of calls for secession are happening now despite this being the unofficial playbook for the US since its inception 🤔

I'll make an attempt at putting what I (and others) have been insinuating in much more clear terms for you; every single item in your list of frustrations has been happening consistently for decades, if not longer. The fact that it is seemingly no longer acceptable for left-leaning people to ignore the plights of the disenfranchised means that there should be a significant push to affect changes to rectify the system. Advocating for secession is the political equivalent of taking your ball and going home and we've been pointing and laughing at the dipshits in Texas who have been doing the same thing, I don't understand why this situation is notably different. If you think for more than a second that the creation of some PNW nation would in any way solve any of the terrible issues going on nation-wide I will again point you to the vote maps I posted and ask what The United States of Cascadia looks like once you get more than 20 miles outside of Seattle and/or Portland.

20 miles out of Seattle gets you to Federal Way so I understand your hesitation.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 29, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh noes, Everett lies in just the other direction!

Thats where the Bus factory is right?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

therobit posted:

Look guys, the cascadia thing is just about getting together and circle jerking about how much better we are here in the PNW than everywhere else. It is a moral failing to live somewhere else, but don't come and try to join us you assshole transplants.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Reene posted:

This is what I've always heard (and used, tbh) the term "transplants" refer to, that and people who move here and act like Portlandia was a documentary.

This is what I always thought it was too and what my experience has been.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That Article is way to optimistic on the commute time from Bainbridge via Ferry to Bellevue.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Goddammit do I have to get rid of a white polo shirt I have now....

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Because its "Techbros" that means it isn't honest true Cascadians who are attending the secret nazi meetings.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Steve Jorbs posted:

The article specifically names True Cascadia as being part of the vetting process though!

It's Cultural Appropriation.

Although that article does answer the question of the poster the other week about wtf those True Cascadia posters were about, as guessed Nazi's!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Doing taxes last year only one client was really legitimately losing money on their rentals, everyone else was at the very least breaking even.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Seattles mayor race sounded like a pair of poor options, for once I was glad not to be registered in Seattle.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

The city that is made of pure Republican 'gently caress You, Got Mine'? No way.

Why is Spokane Hipster?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cicero posted:

Well yes, because the land is valuable even if the burnt out house is not.

That'd be unironically great, absolutely. The less economic segregation the better, I'd say. Allowing more/smaller homes means it's harder to exclude the poor and working-class from neighborhoods.

haha oh man thats a great joke.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

silicone thrills posted:

Hah was just planning a Seattle to Portland trip for work... I was definitely gonna take the train because it is so much better than dealing with i5 traffic but uhhh hmm. gently caress.

:( I really wish our infrastructure was better. (overall, I realise this is a new track section but the north line gets hosed by mudslides all drat winter)

Yeah when I went on a trip to Vancouver for Spring Break... (I was trying to be clever because none of us could afford to fly anywhere and we could drink in Canada) and we had to take the bus from Seattle to Bellingham because of landslides.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

If this post was made about Seattle it would be 'Why don't we just put the shelter in South Seattle so that it doesn't ruin the *character* of the neighborhood?' :clutches pearls harder:

Not far enough how about Orting?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My next door neighbors were / are a bunch of kids adopted by a white lady and she was a pretty awful parent and the majority of them turned out to be big messes.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

lol, Portland

One of my college roomates made that exact same "poor businesses" argument.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

People use straws?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RuanGacho posted:

Cantwell is the Boeing pocket senator and my internal monologue puts her in the same category as Schumer and Pelosi. We need younger blood.

I mean thats pretty much a tradition for at least one of the Senator from Washington to also be the Senator from Boeing. *cough* Scoop Jackson *cough*

Young blood just means they will be the Senator from Amazon.

Also as someone who got re-districted into Reichert's district the year before I turned 18 I am happy to now have a chance to flip a seat blue. Also on the Strangers site it was amusing seeing Adam Smith advertising on the page that was endorsing his DSA primary opponent.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 19, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is anyone opposing Cantwell this year, or is her position pretty much a lock?

Vote Good Space Guy.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solid logic

"Don't protest because some third party racists thugs might come and beat you up, instead lets just have city employed thugs beat you up instead"!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

George posted:

There was an entry from a dude in a baseball cap who is definitely the president of his college Republicans group.

I'm pretty sure thats the fuckstick who founded/runs that Patriot Prayer Group.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Turn Safeco field into a giant execution stage and sacrifice homeless people to appease the creator Bezos.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

Minimum wage jobs aren't supposed to be "living wage" they are entry level market rate employment opportunities for people who only need their foot in the door and are living with their parents.

"Living wage" specifically means positions for about 80% of the population where job creators don't have to take big risks on hiring and training.

Quit conflating them.

Don't disparage the creators they make take umbrage on our hubris to question them and banish us to the camps in the jungle.

Also I don't think anyone noticed Kingfishers red text.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Since minimum wage jobs are only for kids or young adults I think implementing the plan in Logans Run to handle people 30 + still working for minimum wage will solve poverty.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Apodments are just a rebranding of old school flophouses, except they are priced like a studio or 1 br used to be 6-7 years ago.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dino Rossi won in my congressional district, but on the plus side the total Democrat votes split between the 4 candidates are like 3-4% more than him + the rando republicans so :woot: I think this seat might be won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jagged Jim posted:

NWS' twitter game is on point. Last year when we were surrounded by wildfire the Spokane NWS simply listed air quality as "Mordor."

https://twitter.com/NWSSpokane/status/1031351814216736768
Yay? :confuoot:

Burn the world stop global warming.