Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

coyo7e posted:

Here's a serious question I've been kinda wondering about : do you-all have more or less respect for California being part of the PNW, since Jerry Brown decided to call Trump's bluff and threaten to secede?

I mean they obv can't build a dam to save the lives of everyone downstream but hey, it'd be pretty funny if the only way you could leave the flyover states was by flying, or driving out through Canda or Mexico because neither coast wants you there.

Simple geography disagrees with California being part of the PNW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ugh, this thread stinks of Oregonian slapfighting. Either gently caress, then shut up or just shut up.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

We need more nazi punching. Join your local antifa group today.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

A bunch of places are hinting that Jay Inslee might run for President in 2020, especially after his national profile got boosted from those wins against Trump's travel ban.

Inslee would be an okay President. A bit business friendly for my taste, but is willing to raise taxes when revenue is needed. Not bad considering the lack of politicians who are willing to stand up to Trump.
I don't think he will run through.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

got any sevens posted:

Why is she standing on toilets?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maybe they are counting the suburbs in the ~2k/week number.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Build build build. This will drive rents down over time, and keep us from becoming San Francisco 2.0 as so many NIMBY's want. It is a long term solution though. As for a short term solution... I don't think there is one.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HEY NONG MAN posted:

In the meantime you do whatever you can to piss off existing home owners so they'll want to leave faster.

Just move to the suburbs. Having a SFH in the city is already incredibly expensive, and will only become more and more difficult. Buy now while the prices are only somewhat insane.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

As someone who is forced to drive through downtown occasionally, Bertha and the tunnel was the least-bad option. Permanent gridlock and no easy driving options on the west side of Seattle would be a nightmare.
It is an expensive and crappy project, but it's better than just knocking it down and pretending we don't need the traffic volume.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

SyHopeful posted:

Won't lie, I've fantasized about doing this pretty much every time I see those garish things.

E: YESSSSSS

Wait, you are celebrating the destruction of bike services? That is so Portland.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

What about an income tax AND a property tax.

Yes please. Washington needs an income tax, it would be good for everyone. I'm thinking something that kicks in at around 50k/year. And tie it to a sales tax reduction to help the poor.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

When the local anarchists/leftists are celebrating the destruction of bike sharing programs, you know you are in Portland.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

I bet you loved that Pepsi commercial.

no, it was dumb, mlyp :)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Why do you believe one corporate advertisement in the form of milquetoast outreach targeted at young persons is different from the other?

A bikeshare is entirely a corporate advertisement? It may have Nike's crap plastered all over it, but it is still a bike share, right?
The Pepsi commercial was a marketing gimmick to stir up controversy and attention. Other than a corporation was involved with both, they are totally different things.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

gently caress no! If I wanted to live in Oregon or Idaho, I'd move there. Property taxes and utility costs have gone up considerably in the area I live in. Yall can pass a Seattle/Tacoma tax if you want.

If you are complaining about an income tax that only affects income over 50k, you are part of the problem.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Seeing as how I pay approximately 20% of that in federal tax, I don't think it is an issue.

Why should I pay the same tax when I work over time? (Before I moved I was routinely worked 60-70 hours a week for the last 2 years.) Compared to some techie yuppie that works in Seattle?

Why should I pay X% or more in state tax?
-I live on the East side, I deal with my local issues. Seattle can deal with theirs.
-Taxing people more does not seem to have California's problems. How will it solve Washingtons?
-Utilities costs have regularly gone up. Raises have not.

This is impressive, I don't often see 'gently caress You, Got Mine' expressed so honestly.
Edit: Oh, I guess I will address a few questions.
Paying 20% federal income tax isn't that much. So either something is wrong with your numbers, or an income tax targeting earnings over 50k(you understand how progressive tax systems work, right?) wouldn't affect you.
Why should you pay taxes on overtime? Uh... Because it's income?
A state income tax is for the state. What does Seattle have anything to do with this? This is to raise money for education and to lower the sales tax rate.
California is actually doing really really well right now.
And what do utilities have anything to do with taxes?

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 7, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

His post is literally the below image but replace 'liberals' with 'Seattle'.

Edit: Oh, and I live in Lynnwood, not Seattle. Somehow I manage not to be money grubbing idiot that doesn't understand how taxes work.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 7, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Someone provide me a clear explanation why OT should be taxed the same as straight time?

I asked my wife who does accounting this question and she laughed really hard after asking if I was serious so I guess your answer is LOL. Hope this helps.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Gee I better let this power plant go offline because I only want to work 40 hours this week! Its not like hospitals use electricity.

It sounds like you are overworked and underpaid(making 70k working 70 hours a week means you are making like 17ish bucks an hour) but this has nothing to do with taxes.
Other than that they should be higher to pay for the education that didn't teach you how taxes work.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Alright, please explain to me how having a Washington state tax, will magically make this place a utopia? Especially when utilities are rising like 5% a year on the East side....

Are you running your own marijuana grow? Do you have a swimming pool you empty and fill multiple times a year?
Utilities are nothing compared to housing prices here unless you leave the shower on all day or your heat at like 85.
Are you sure you live in Washington?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Hmmm last time I checked most of the electricity generated in Washington and Oregon come from dams and wind farms along the Columbia river. Most of those dams and wind farms are on the centeral and eastern side of the state. (There also if I remember correctly, a couple of gas plants, 2 medium to large coal plans, and 1 active nuclear plant.)

Transmission lines and roads to maintain that electrical link isn't cheap.

Maybe California can provide the electricity to Seattle...

Actually it is cheap. Washington has rather cheap electric rates because dams aren't expensive to run.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Because it would be impossible to manage and tax policy is usually altered for a reason. Which jobs are 'hard work'? Do you want to go through and make catagories for all of them? And wouldn't this open up situations where someone is paid a lower salary but 'works' 100 hours a week to avoid taxes?
It's not worth messing with. If you want to help blue collar workers, reduce sales taxes, tax higher incomes, and use that money for expanded services and health care.
Edit: Not to mention that removing taxes on OT will make it more desirable and reduce available jobs.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

There are some industries and facilities are are required to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (Like powerplants for electricity and gas distrubtion for heat) preferrably without unscheduled shutdowns.

Dragging up and walking out because you don't want to work more than 40 hours even though you're in the middle of an emergency overhaul of the plant, is generally not 'acceptable'.

People die when the electricity cuts out or when they can't heat their houses.

So yes, sometimes 50-60-70 hours per week for some amount of time is mandatory.

If this is happening constantly, then they need to hire more people. This isn't rocket science.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jack2142 posted:

Also a hypothetical state income tax should let you deduct rent.

This... would be difficult. Remember: we are talking about a small percentage of the income made over 50k. Rent should be covered by 50k, so why would it be exempt?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just wonder about the lack of heart someone must have to panic and have a breakdown because an income tax that only affects a small percentage of income over 50k is suggested, and to use part of it to lower sales taxes to assist the poor.
Pretty sure if you made like 70k a year it wouldn't even cost you anything.
Let's use 5%. 5% of 20k is 1000 dollars. It would almost certainly be less than that due to credits, reductions from federal taxes, not to mention the reduction in sales taxes that I proposed.
But ignoring all that, if you are making 70k/year, you can afford it. And the richer you are, the more you can afford it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Actually, if I can direct your attention to this Wall Street Journal infographic for a second,

I disagree with corgi killing, but the rest? eh.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I like dogs.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 8, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Solkanar512 posted:

Quit being so simplistic. I'm already in favor of such a plan and yet folks like you, twodot and Anthony can't loving wrap your head around the fact that this issue is much more complicated. You're more interested in cheap burns then actual discussion.

Please explain why this is complicated. Since you are interested in actual discussion.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

I don't understand why companies can't be "coerced" via payroll tax to give up the indentured servitude via overtime.

If they had to pay the employee 1.5x * $hourly and then 2.0x * $hourly on their payroll taxes, surely at some point it becomes more cost effective to hire another employee over working one to death.

They're clearly already done the calculus and 1.5x * $15 * 20hrs to move boxes around a warehouse comes out on their side almost 100% of the time.

This is the inverse of what was originally suggested(not taxing overtime). However your suggestion would be more reasonable... as long as we had a good reason to do so.
I can see reasoning behind doing this, so as to provide a disincentive for overworking your employee. But just this rule on its own would push more people into salary instead of hourly. You would need enhanced protection for salary employees, and preferably limits on their hours as well.
Anyways, this is way way past where I was at when I suggested the horrible sin of taxing a small amount of income over 50k and reducing sales taxes. I'm just tired of living in a 'blue state' that fucks the poor harder than any other state in the USA. And it's not a very complicated or expensive fix for anyone who couldn't afford it.
It's not full communism now, but it is a definite way to help people.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is a pretty interesting case, reading the included pdf. The Oregon Supreme Court seems annoyed at the other court rulings since they played word games(they equated 'peaceful resistance' and 'noncooperation', wtf) to come to their own preconceived notions.
I think the Oregon Supreme Court interpreted this law correctly, looks good.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I guess nothing says Portland more than 'Vegan Strip Club'.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

At work my boss theorized that there could be an explosion, because if you bang two pieces of (I can't remember if he said uranium or plutonium) together it could go critical, and a rock falling on whatever they have down there would be enough to set it off.

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Having an issue with cops being shitheads on a constant basis is good and normal. Thinking cops are not literally people is hosed up and crazy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It pays well because unions and

coyo7e posted:

the job also requires you not only dealing with angry "customers" but also requires you to pack a gun and fight with them on occasion.

that.

You really don't want to live in a country where the police are paid poorly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

George posted:

Paying police well is an important element for keeping them from taking bribes etc. Another important thing is genuine oversight and performance standards​.

Exactly. I didn't think I needed to spell this out. Countries that pay police poorly have bribery commonplace.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

coyo7e posted:

Ahh, to the solution to people lying cheating and stealing is to give them more money. Why isn't it like that in any other industry, then?

And I mean let's be real, we've got plenty of dirty cops in the USA.

I don't understand. Is your problem with the fact that the police, a union based group, get paid well? That would be very... Conservative of you. If you have an issue with how police act, well, join the club. But you are choosing a weird hill to die on.
Personally I want people who have guns and can throw me in prison to be paid well, so that they are less likely to do those things for cash. We just need them to be part of the community instead of oppressing the community.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Shifty Nipples posted:

I want police to not be so morally bankrupt that the only thing keeping them doing good is their paycheck.

This is absurdly naive. The second anyone gets power it corrupts, that's human beings. A good paycheck can minimize the likelihood of corruption.

Again, everyone here thinks the police are being assholes on a regular basis. But paying them less will only make things far far worse.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

Under capitalism, oppressive aspects of the police force are not bugs, but rather, features. Their role in the suppression, subjugation, and incarceration of the most disenfranchised of this nation serves both as a protective buffer to the wealthy and a means by which a certain portion of them line their pockets (prison labor is virtually slave labor, and you can be sure those profit margins are big). Nothing is more telling about their class loyalties than the marked difference with which the wealthy and poor are treated at every stage of law enforcement and the judicial process. Another thing to consider is that the increased militarization of the police in Seattle specifically is a product of the WTO protests in the late nineties, or in other words, a populist uprising against neoliberalism. As any activist with a basis of comparison anywhere else can tell you, the SPD to this day is one of the most forceful and militant in its response to mass action in this country.

We will not likely see the disarmament of the police or their demilitarization so long as these things remain in the interest of the ruling class, at least not without a big fight. However, this fight is necessary for a better society, so wherever possible policies to disarm and defund the police should be pursued and fought for. The police are not an eternal institution in the course of human events, like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the bureaucratic origins of them as they exist now can be found in the slave catching patrols prior to the civil war. Quite frankly in an ideal society they would be abolished as they exist now in favor of community based methods of conflict resolution and defense.

Okay, neat. Not sure what it had to do with the topic, but neat.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Police Unions exist in a weird state of good, where they successfully protect the jobs and the pay of a field with little education required, and bad, everything else they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Its funny that some of you are so 'no, i'm the maddest at cops' that you get mad at the guy who agrees that cops do bad things but says they aren't literally demons wearing human skin.

Maybe... get some perspective?